Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Papaver Somniferum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Invisiblesacramentum
the twilight is ours
Male User Gallery

Loc: far away from the sun
2020 poppy thread * 1
    #26505226 - 02/26/20 07:10 PM (8 months, 26 days ago)

anyone?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebw86
Ranger

Loc: 7b
Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: sacramentum] * 1
    #26505347 - 02/26/20 08:29 PM (8 months, 26 days ago)

i order peshawr poppy from a site that burned me then i ordered afhagn poppy and "gigantum" poppy from Amazon and got burned.
I just ordered Peshwar Alba poppy from etsy, I hope 3rd time is a charm for these. Please keep us posted.

--------------------
.......................................[/url]AMU Agar to grain/ g2g transfer=unlimited mushrooms:coffee:

Everything I touch turns to shit.All the shit I touch turns to mushrooms.

Invisiblesacramentum
the twilight is ours
Male User Gallery

Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: bw86]
    #26505377 - 02/26/20 08:53 PM (8 months, 26 days ago)

sucks ass that you got scammed on those seeds man.

here are some of my peshawars this year. the other half of the bed and the fabric pots are all khandahar afghan.

Offlinetassiescott
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: sacramentum]
    #26515219 - 03/03/20 08:36 PM (8 months, 20 days ago)

Don't know if this is of any help for you. If you jump on ebay Australia and search for Tasmanian Poppy seeds, they are selling papaver s seeds and ship wordwide.

Offlinebw86
Ranger

Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: tassiescott]
    #26518171 - 03/05/20 10:11 AM (8 months, 19 days ago)

Finally got the variety i was after.

I am going to test viability indoors. I know it is not recommended to transplant poppies and i am about to start all my reading.
From people with experience. Is it a tap root problem? or more of a general sensitivity.
I have these long pots that are made for oak trees.  Would they be better than either of the other two?

--------------------
.......................................[/url]AMU Agar to grain/ g2g transfer=unlimited mushrooms:coffee:

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#26518873 - 03/05/20 05:12 PM (8 months, 18 days ago)

Quote:

sacramentum said:
anyone?

I sowed some seed back in January. Most of them are now about as big as those peshawars you posted in your 2nd post.

I'm glad I did it back in Jan and not later, because it has been very warm around my area all through out February. Most of the seed I sowed a few weeks after that never germinated, soil temps are already too warm for germination.

I've got some "Black Swan" growing, and some other variety that I don't know.

Sacramentum....you sound like you have some experience with growing poppy. How far apart do you normally thin/space the plants? Most things I've read suggest 1 foot spacing....If the plants are a little closer, say 6 inches, is there going to be a drastic difference in the size of the plants/pods? Do the plants really need that much room?

I over-seeded a bit so I've been thinning out the plants every few days for the past couple weeks...I'm just trying to think about what I should do for the best yield?...As in, should I let the plants grow a bit crowded, thinned/spaced 4 to 6 inches apart, more plants = more pods...Or should I thin and space the plants apart with a lot more space between, giving them a full foot of spacing, = less plants but potentially more/bigger pods?

Quote:

bw86 said:
Finally got the variety i was after.

I am going to test viability indoors. I know it is not recommended to transplant poppies and i am about to start all my reading.
From people with experience. Is it a tap root problem? or more of a general sensitivity.
I have these long pots that are made for oak trees.  Would they be better than either of the other two?

Why test viability?...Why not just sow directly outside from the start?

Poppies are sensitive to transplanting...They're just very delicate when young and the roots can be disturbed & damaged easily, it seems like as soon as the roots are disturbed even slightly they're likely not going to survive.

I sow directly where they're going to grow.

And depending on your climate, I'd get started on them as soon as possible...I find that once soil temps are slightly warm they will not germinate at all. It is already too late to germinate them in my area (north-cali, zone 9).

-OM

--------------------

Offlinebw86
Ranger

Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: openmind]
    #26519219 - 03/05/20 07:54 PM (8 months, 18 days ago)

Shit the problem is the area that I am going to plant them need to get re mulched. I will try and do it tis weekend.
Then i'll till the seeds into rows threw the mulch. Shit maybe i should just throw the seeds now and mulch around them.
I am zone 7a and we had some water freeze just two nights ago. I don't have to worry about a frost?

--------------------

Invisiblesacramentum
the twilight is ours
Male User Gallery

Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: openmind] * 1
    #26519311 - 03/05/20 08:36 PM (8 months, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Sacramentum....you sound like you have some experience with growing poppy. How far apart do you normally thin/space the plants? Most things I've read suggest 1 foot spacing....If the plants are a little closer, say 6 inches, is there going to be a drastic difference in the size of the plants/pods? Do the plants really need that much room?

I over-seeded a bit so I've been thinning out the plants every few days for the past couple weeks...I'm just trying to think about what I should do for the best yield?...As in, should I let the plants grow a bit crowded, thinned/spaced 4 to 6 inches apart, more plants = more pods...Or should I thin and space the plants apart with a lot more space between, giving them a full foot of spacing, = less plants but potentially more/bigger pods?

Generally, I'd never have them any closer than ~ 6" apart. I find that the closer the plants are, the plants grow taller, less bushy and more 'spindly'. Typically under commercial cultivation in the field the plants are spaced much more closely than you usually see in the home garden for ornamental purposes. I tend to have the best results when the plants are spaced around 8", although some var. album cultivars (peshawar is a good example) grow just fine when spaced at 6".
Quote:

I highly recommend not bothering with transplanting etc especially if its your first grow. Although transplanting can work, all the best plants are direct seeded in their final growing spot. I recommend you direct sow onto well draining soil for best results. Poppies are quite frost tolerant in their seedling stage. make sure the seeds stay on top of the soil and don't get buried, they need light to germinate.

Offlinebw86
Ranger

Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: sacramentum] * 1
    #26519326 - 03/05/20 08:41 PM (8 months, 18 days ago)

Sowing first thing in the morning. Thanks for the push.

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#26519367 - 03/05/20 09:02 PM (8 months, 18 days ago)

Thanks for the info dude :wink: .

I just hate pulling/killing plants and knowing it's already a bit too warm for me to start some more so what I have growing already is all I'll have to work with this time around...but at the same time I want to give the plants that are there the room they need to thrive. So I felt in a pickle, but yea I'll be thinning them out to about 6 to 8 inches....Some rain we had a few days after I sowed the seed moved a lot of the seeds into bunches close together, so some spots have needed a lot of thinning out.

I have them mixed in a small patch of flowers. Seeds from what was grown in that area last year already germinated a while ago around the same time the poppies did (spring came real early this time around around here). A mixture of sunflowers, indian blanket flowers, zinnias, bachelor buttons, and poppies. Lots of nettles too which I've been trying to keep in check so the poppies and other flowers have the advantage of sunlight & root space/nutes in soil (once the poppies and others have grown up I'll let the nettles grow in and fill in a bit). If they all grow and bloom how I think they might, it should be a nice patch of foliage & flowers that keeps on changing for the next several months.

-OM

--------------------

Offlinebw86
Ranger

#26520068 - 03/06/20 08:39 AM (8 months, 18 days ago)

I raked the ground this morning and spread the seeds.I'm guessing i should water them but i still have my outside water turned off for the winter. I kinda wish I had saved some for another area but too late now :shrug: 350 seeds is not a lot.
I am just realizing how much i should have read before diving in.
I didnt know the seeds are white. I didn't even know it was a spring flower. I have my fingers crossed. YA live, Ya learn.
Edit- Its gonna rain for the next day or two so i think i am good
When to Sow Outside: RECOMMENDED. 4 to 6 weeks before your average last frost date, or as soon as the soil can be worked or early to mid-fall for bloom the following spring. Mild Climates: Sowing in late summer to early fall is recommended.
Lookup your first and last freeze/frost dates by zip code

My average last frost is still about 4 weeks aways so I just made the window :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by bw86 (03/06/20 11:20 AM)

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#26520578 - 03/06/20 02:50 PM (8 months, 17 days ago)

Quote:

bw86 said:
I raked the ground this morning and spread the seeds.I'm guessing i should water them but i still have my outside water turned off for the winter. I kinda wish I had saved some for another area but too late now :shrug: 350 seeds is not a lot.
I am just realizing how much i should have read before diving in......

Right on :thumbup: . Good luck.

This is only my 2nd time growing poppy, but they're pretty easy to grow once they're past the seedling stage.

They can take a while to germinate, at least 10 to 14 days for me, and they are pretty delicate and slow growing for the first few weeks as seedlings. But once they have a few sets of leaves they start to grow up quickly.

When I sowed my seed I had to deal with ants in one of the spots, within just a few hours the ants basically cleared out and removed every single seed I sowed, hundreds & hundreds of seeds gone within just a few hours. That happened last year too.

I also had to deal with the neighbors chickens getting into the yard and scratching around the plot where I sowed.

-OM

--------------------

Invisiblesacramentum
the twilight is ours
Male User Gallery

#26521933 - 03/07/20 11:37 AM (8 months, 17 days ago)

openmind, that sounds like a nice little garden area. If only poppies transplanted as easily as other plants.
bw86, that sounds good, good luck with your grow!

OfflineSempeur
Tourist

Loc: Canada Flag
    #26529282 - 03/11/20 04:48 PM (8 months, 12 days ago)

Does anyone have a recommended container size they use when growing poppies? Gonna give a few varieties a try this year but space is a bit of an issue.

--------------------
Be strange, but don't be a stranger.

Offlinebw86
Ranger

Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: Sempeur]
    #26529308 - 03/11/20 05:00 PM (8 months, 12 days ago)

Outdoors there really isn't such thing as a container too large.
Just make sure you have free draining soil and not buckets of mud.

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: Sempeur] * 1
    #26529375 - 03/11/20 05:42 PM (8 months, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Sempeur said:
Does anyone have a recommended container size they use when growing poppies? Gonna give a few varieties a try this year but space is a bit of an issue.

I guess it just depends on how much you're trying to grow :shrug: .

If you want to grow just a few poppies, even a 3 gal pot should be enough for a single poppy plant. 3 gal is probably the smallest I'd go with, and that is enough for a single plant.

Besides the small flower patch I have growing directly in the ground, I also have a 25 gallon container that I'm using for growing poppies. I used it last year and it worked just fine, I think I had somewhere around 8 or 9 plants in it last year. They grew together a bit crowded, but still grew up and bloomed and matured just fine.

(this pic doesn't show the container they're growing in, but this is what I had growing out of a 25 gal container last year...>>>)

-OM

--------------------

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
    #26529387 - 03/11/20 05:52 PM (8 months, 12 days ago)

Should have some seeds from a giveaway coming in the next few days. Would it be to late to plant them if I live in Wisconsin? Our last frost is usually around early to mid May, but it has been pretty warm for this time of year.

OfflineSempeur
Tourist

Loc: Canada Flag
    #26529776 - 03/11/20 09:45 PM (8 months, 12 days ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
Quote:

Sempeur said:

I guess it just depends on how much you're trying to grow :shrug: .

If you want to grow just a few poppies, even a 3 gal pot should be enough for a single poppy plant. 3 gal is probably the smallest I'd go with, and that is enough for a single plant.

Besides the small flower patch I have growing directly in the ground, I also have a 25 gallon container that I'm using for growing poppies. I used it last year and it worked just fine, I think I had somewhere around 8 or 9 plants in it last year. They grew together a bit crowded, but still grew up and bloomed and matured just fine.

(this pic doesn't show the container they're growing in, but this is what I had growing out of a 25 gal container last year...>>>)

Exactly what I was looking for haha, wasn't entirely sure how many per-container I should be aiming for.

--------------------
Be strange, but don't be a stranger.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: 2020 poppy thread [Re: The Influence]
    #26529777 - 03/11/20 09:45 PM (8 months, 12 days ago)

Quote:

The Influence said:
Would it be to late to plant them if I live in Wisconsin? Our last frost is usually around early to mid May, but it has been pretty warm for this time of year.

I don't think it's too late for around Wisconsin. A lot of areas around the country can still sow poppy seed and likely have some successful germination.

This is only my 2nd time around growing them, but from what I've seen so far...I find once soil surface temps are up around 55 to 60 degrees for the better part of 24 hours that it's "too warm" . I can imagine it's still plenty cool enough up around your region.

I don't know the exact temps, but once it is just a bit warm outside the seeds really don't want to pop open.

-OM

--------------------

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
    #26529783 - 03/11/20 09:48 PM (8 months, 12 days ago)

Thank you for the reply. I am going to order some extra seeds from one of our sponsors tonight and see how I do.

It has been in the 40's here lately, but still some snow on the ground, so hopefully im not too late.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Papaver Somniferum

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden