Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineOregonic
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Deadly Galerina?
    #26500539 - 02/23/20 08:59 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Actually came across these a while back and always wondered out of curiosity if these were in fact the deadly galerina. I'm experienced with hunting and identifying woodlover psilocybes and am fairly sure I've come across galerinas before, just never bothered to photograph them or anything. This was while on a hike in early Dec., not particularly looking for fungi but these just happened to catch my eye.

Habitat: Forest setting, growing directly from a small decaying stump

Gills: Specimens were wet and soggy so hard to say for sure, but sort of brownish in appearance

Stem: very light brown/tan, you could tell it was brittle however IIRC was a bit pliable when wet. Annulus present with slight spore deposits appearing brownish.

Cap: Caramel

Spore print color: didn't print

Bruising: unknown

Location: 2500ft elevation, WA state national park west of the cascades

Edited to remove duplicate pic and add another pic with flash to see details a little better.

Edited by Oregonic (02/23/20 10:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHSapiensAmericanus
Stranger
Re: Deadly Galerina? [Re: Oregonic]
    #26500581 - 02/23/20 09:33 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

They do indeed look like Galerina marginata. Young ones too. They become easier to distinguish when they’re a little older and start to darken. Younger ones, in my opinion, closely resemble Kuehneromyces mutabilis.

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Deadly Galerina? [Re: HSapiensAmericanus]
    #26500822 - 02/24/20 02:24 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Please post close up shots of the gills and the stem. But, yes, very possibly G. marginata.

Quote:

HSapiensAmericanus said:
Younger ones, in my opinion, closely resemble Kuehneromyces mutabilis.

K. mutabilis will invariably have a scaly stem below the annulus, so it's actually pretty easy to separate the two - especially when young.

--------------------

OfflineOregonic
Male User Gallery

Re: Deadly Galerina? [Re: Anglerfish]
    #26501186 - 02/24/20 10:02 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Hey thanks for the reply. Sadly the rest of the pictures I took aren't too much different or show any other details that the above pics don't show. The second pic has a saturated fruit with the cap flipped upside down and that is the only pic I have of the gills.

I realize a 100% confirmation may not be possible without more details/pics, my apologies but thanks for taking the time.

--------------------

Edited by Oregonic (02/24/20 10:03 AM)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Deadly Galerina? [Re: Oregonic]
    #26501250 - 02/24/20 10:43 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

I think Galerina marginata is what it is, unfortunately the gills are blurred just enough to not be able to see enough details to make an accurate identification, for me  anyway.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Deadly Galerina? [Re: Doc9151]
    #26501254 - 02/24/20 10:46 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

The shiny caps could also indicate one of the slimy species of Pholiota.
Since there are no better pictures available I think this one is a lost case, though.

--------------------

OfflineOregonic
Male User Gallery

#26501401 - 02/24/20 12:05 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

IIRC the cap texture while moist was definitely a bit slimy but also somewhat of a slight sticky property not unlike a psilocybe.

Well shit, sorry I can't give some more info/pics. If my curiosity ever catches me with unidentified species in the future I'll be sure to take more pics and get more details. I remember on this day my GF (at the time) was rushing me along because "who gives a shit it's nothing special" or whatever  :rolleyes:

Thank you all again, have a good day!

--------------------

OfflineHSapiensAmericanus
Stranger
    #26502189 - 02/24/20 07:35 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Anglerfish said:
Please post close up shots of the gills and the stem. But, yes, very possibly G. marginata.

Quote:

HSapiensAmericanus said:
Younger ones, in my opinion, closely resemble Kuehneromyces mutabilis.

K. mutabilis will invariably have a scaly stem below the annulus, so it's actually pretty easy to separate the two - especially when young.

I guess I should’ve thought that through more. They share 90% of the macro characteristics. Both when young and old. I was just thinking when young, features are generally less defined, but you’re right that if K. mutabilis has scaly stems even when young that would be enough to rule it out right there.

Also I probably spoke too soon saying it could be G. marginata. Very well may be Galerina but here in Washington we have probably 2/3’s of the described species and it could fit a few different things in the “Stirps Marginata”. I always jump to the assumption of most commonly observed species.... I gotta quit doing that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder