Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. * 12
    #2589172 - 04/21/04 10:39 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

A very simple grain tek.

I like to use rye do to the fact that I case the grain directly and don?t use it for spawn which I find wbs better for. The rye holds more water so it allows for larger flushes in my exp, others may differ we all have our own ways of doing things this is just what I do.

1. First I prepare the grain by putting it in a strainer and shaking the dust off of it one cup at a time. I then put the cup of grain or rye in my case into a quart jar and fill the jar with water and let it soak for 24 hours. My reason for doing this is that bacteria endospores that form on grain can survive the PC so we let the little fuckers germinate and then PC them.

2. Then take the rye and pour out the water. Your gonna see that it has turned piss yellow. Then take the grain and put it into a pot add water so the grain is nicely covered and simmer it for 40 to 45 minutes. You?ll notice some of the rye grain starting to burst and the grain has turned brown and swollen up quite a bit.

3. Pour the water out and put the grain into a challender or strainer and let it drain. I myself like to rinse it off after the simmer.

4. Now load the rye into the jars, I like quarts so that is what I use. Leave enough room at the top of the jar for you to shake the grain around (pic #1) . I didn't have any jars with just grain but you get the idea. No extra water is needed to be added to the jars just the grain. I like to set up my jars like this, metal lid, tyvek and then the band. (pics # 2,3)

I like tyvek for a few reasons. Nice to write on, (pic # 4) and easy to make with a cookie cutter in a hour you can make enough disks for life (pic # 5) . Then PC the jars at 15psi for 1 hour and let them cool. Little hint, if you take them out when they are still hot as hell and shake them they won?t clump up when they cool.

5. Once cool I like to add between 2 and 3 cc or mil to each jar. 2 if I made the syringe 3 if I bought one to add a strain to the collection. I push the needle right threw the tyvek over the small hole in the metal lid. Easy to find the hole if you hold the jar slanted toward a light. I Cover with a band aid because they come sterile already (pic # 6)
6. Once the jars are all shot up so to say shake them like a crazed nut. Mix them up as good as you can so the spores start all over the jar. In 9 days to 3 weeks max your jars will look like this (pic # 1 again)

7. Make your casing with whatever casing mix you decide to use and let them sit in the incubator for 4 to 7 days then birth.

My average total time from the time I shoot them up till the first harvest with this grain tek is 4 to 5 weeks.

South Americans at 4 weeks after shooting up the jars. (pic # 7, 8, 9)

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Here ya go. [Re: Magash]
    #2589211 - 04/21/04 10:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You never cease to amaze.

Great grow.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: Magash] * 1
    #2589461 - 04/22/04 12:04 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

VERY COOL    :thumbup:

5 SHROOMS TO YOU
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: KaptKid]
    #2589718 - 04/22/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I got a question i recently made up seven quart jars using the same meth d. you just suggested but about a weeks and 1/2 later none of the jars are colonizing and they have kinda a burnt smell to them.Can anyone tell me what i could have done wrong.Their is no mold or anything growing in any of the jars so I have no idea what is up.thnx for your help.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: littlejohn747]
    #2590075 - 04/22/04 07:14 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Not sure what you did wrong, I do know that the burnt smell isn't normal. Simmered or PCd for too long would be my guess. I haven't seen a jar not finish in less then two weeks in a long time.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflinemycoBOB
Stranger
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: Magash]
    #2590093 - 04/22/04 07:24 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm.....I like what you've done, but I think that soaking the grains and simmering them is a bit excessive. Just put the water and the grain in a jar and PC them. Those endospores will not survive an hour at 20 psi.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: mycoBOB] * 1
    #2590117 - 04/22/04 07:39 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yes they will. You have to get into temprature ranges that a PC can't reach to kill endospores.

He he he...I tried to not be boaring again but oh well here goes.

The definition of an endospore is an extremely heat-and chemical-resistant, dormant, thick-walled spore that develops within bacteria. Endospores are extraordinarily resistant to environmental stresses including heat, UV radiation, gamma radiation, chemical disinfectants, and desiccation. Endospores can remain viable for thousands of years or longer. An example of this are some endospores that were found on Dominican bees that had been encased in amber for 25 - 40 million years. These dormant structures can be found in several different types of bacteria: Bacillus, Clostridium, and Sporosarcina. I will be trying to isolate Bacillus in my experiment, and after isolation prove that it is indeed an endospore forming bacterium by getting it to transform into its dormant/ spore state.

Bacillus is a gram-positive aerobe that can be found in soil. It appears as straight rods 0.5 - 2.5 x 1.2 - 10 mm, and is chemoorganotrophic, which means that it gets its energy by oxidizing chemical compounds, and organic molecules are its electron source.

Here are some examples of spore forming bacteria out in the world: Clostridium perfringens and Clostridium botulinum (both anaerobes) are food poisoning microorganisms. C. perfringens commonly occurs in meats that have been heated (O2 depletion) and then slowly cooled. As these are ingested the cells sporulate in the intestine, producing an enterotoxin that causes symptoms of nausea, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. C. botulinum is found on potatoes that are not heated sufficiently and cause the production of toxins. Bacillus cereus is another spore forming bacterium that also is found on starchy foods like rice. Its symptoms are similar to those of C. perfringens.

Microorganisms are also used in bioterrorism. One such spore forming bacterium is Bacillus anthracis which results in anthrax. This organism's endospores can survive for decades in animal products and soil. It can enter the body through cuts and abrasions (cutaneous anthrax), or by inhaling endospores (pulmonary anthrax). Symptoms resemble that of the flu, and if it invades the bloodstream the disease can be fatal.

Vancomycin is an antibiotic that is bactericidal for some forms of Bacillus and Clostridium, as well as other microorganisms. It works by binding to the D-alanine-D-alanine sequence so the peptide interbridge cannot be formed. This results in the formation of weak peptidoglycan which eventually leads to the cells lysing because of osmotic differences.

Sporulation is the process by which an active vegetative cell turns into its dormant spore state. This occurs because of a lack of nutrients, or because the cell was exposed to environmental stress. There are several steps to the process which are discussed below:
Formation of nuclear filament within the vegetative cell.
Cell membrane folds inward enclosing part of the DNA and forming the septum.
Continuation of the cell membrane to fold inward and engulf the immature spore.
Spore cortex is formed in the space between the two membranes.
A protein coat is developed around the cortex.
The spore continues to mature within the sporangium (mother cell).
Lysis of sporangium and release of spore.

For a spore to go back to its active vegetative cell state, it goes through a process called germination. Amino acids and sugars are two examples of the nutrients that can trigger germination. This involves the spore swelling, either the absorption or rupture of the spore coat, loss of heat/chemical resistance, the release of spore components, and increased metabolic activity. The third stage, outgrowth, follows germination. This involves the synthesis of new components, and emergence from the spore coat ready to develop into an active bacterium.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineNoG
journeyman

#2590176 - 04/22/04 08:10 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

someone just got blown out the water. lol

Later NoG

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2590226 - 04/22/04 08:29 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, that wasn't boring.

I was intellectually stimulated by information that is relevant to this thread.

Great write up Magash.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #2649781 - 05/07/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Nice Mag...real nice, you copy/paste that out of a textbook? j/k man, great job.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

OfflineCooltuba
Mycostudent
 User Gallery

Loc: Home
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: Magash] * 1
    #2649950 - 05/07/04 12:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Magash,

If the endospores can survive PC temps, what are you doing to get higher-than-PC temps?  Does simmering get hotter than PCing?  Just curious.  I think that simmering is excessive, but only because I don't simmer.  I actually was about to write up a grain tek that is identical to yours except without the simmering.  I just load up a cup of grain in quart jars, soak with 1/2 coffee 1/2 water, and put lids on them with holes all around the rim so that after the soak I can drain them without taking the grain out of the jar, pop on lids identical to yours, add tyvek and PC them bitches.  I like doing it this way 'cause it minimizes the amount of grain on the floor and counters of my kitchen. :smile:

--Cooltuba

--------------------
Above musings are entirely fictional.  I do not grow mushrooms nor do I associate with anyone who does.

DRUGS ARE BAD!  MMMMKAY?

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

#2649994 - 05/07/04 01:03 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Tsk tsk Magash...you need to quote your source of info or you might get sued on the grounds of intellectual property rights :wink:

Great post...thanks

--Aeolus

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: Cooltuba]
    #2650052 - 05/07/04 01:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think the reason he simmers after soaking is to make the grains pop open. It isnt needed but will make the grain easier to collonize.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
    #2650126 - 05/07/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
A very simple grain tek.

I like to use rye do to the fact that I case the grain directly and don?t use it for spawn which I find wbs better for. The rye holds more water so it allows for larger flushes in my exp, others may differ we all have our own ways of doing things this is just what I do.

1. First I prepare the grain by putting it in a strainer and shaking the dust off of it one cup at a time. I then put the cup of grain or rye in my case into a quart jar and fill the jar with water and let it soak for 24 hours. My reason for doing this is that bacteria endospores that form on grain can survive the PC so we let the little fuckers germinate and then PC them.

2. Then take the rye and pour out the water. Your gonna see that it has turned piss yellow. Then take the grain and put it into a pot add water so the grain is nicely covered and simmer it for 40 to 45 minutes. You?ll notice some of the rye grain starting to burst and the grain has turned brown and swollen up quite a bit.

3. Pour the water out and put the grain into a challender or strainer and let it drain. I myself like to rinse it off after the simmer.

4. Now load the rye into the jars, I like quarts so that is what I use. Leave enough room at the top of the jar for you to shake the grain around . I didn't have any jars with just grain but you get the idea. No extra water is needed to be added to the jars just the grain. I like to set up my jars like this, metal lid, tyvek and then the band.

I like tyvek for a few reasons. Nice to write on, and easy to make with a cookie cutter in a hour you can make enough disks for life . Then PC the jars at 15psi for 1 hour and let them cool. Little hint, if you take them out when they are still hot as hell and shake them they won?t clump up when they cool.

5. Once cool I like to add between 2 and 3 cc or mil to each jar. 3 if I made the syringe 2 if I bought one to add a strain to the collection. I push the needle right threw the tyvek over the small hole in the metal lid. Easy to find the hole if you hold the jar slanted toward a light. I Cover with a band aid because they come sterile already .

6. Once the jars are all shot up so to say shake them like a crazed nut. Mix them up as good as you can so the spores start all over the jar. In 9 days to 3 weeks max your jars will look like this .

7. Make your casing with whatever casing mix you decide to use and let them sit in the incubator for 4 to 7 days then birth.

My average total time from the time I shoot them up till the first harvest with this grain tek is 4 to 5 weeks.

South Americans at 4 weeks after shooting up the jars.

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: peleg]
    #2650133 - 05/07/04 01:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

man i did'nt mean to do that trying to copy this tek and put it in my mailbox, can that be done?

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: niteowl]
    #2650256 - 05/07/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The reason for the soaking it so the endospores germanate, then they can be killed by PC temps.

The simmering is how I add the water. You don't want the kernels to explode. I've found that simmering adds the perfect amount of water to the grain. When the grain is PCd there is no added water to the jars. I use to do it without the simmer but it comes out way way more clumpy and I got sick of dry grain at the top of the jars and wetter ones at the bottom .

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2650483 - 05/07/04 03:06 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I never simmered before Maga ....i think i will after reading this :smile: :thumbup:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: OldSpice]
    #2650623 - 05/07/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, I respect ya Al. When you try the simmer please let me know what you think. I think that you'll like it.  :grin: :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2650662 - 05/07/04 03:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ok cool...Go vote for me im getting my head kicked in...Viva La Cultivacion :thumbup:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlinet3knology
33 threes

Loc: USA
Re: Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. [Re: OldSpice]
    #2651038 - 05/07/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Magash, you never cease to amaze any of us.  Thank you for your contributions to this site. :smile:, ur awesome.

After my "friend"'s first experiment with pf jars is finished, He'll have to try this.

Thank you again

--------------------
"If our Gods and our hopes are nothing but scientific phenomena, then let us admit it must be said that our love is scientific as well." - Mathias Villiers de l'Isle-Adam

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale