Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline920
Strangest
Too Many Printing Teks - How's this?
    #26499069 - 02/22/20 10:49 PM (1 year, 11 days ago)

I've been reading spore printing teks all day. The more I read, the more they contradict each other. At their heart, it seems like all I want to do is get a mushroom cap to drop spores onto a sterile "carrier."

So I'm trying to consolidate all these different ideas into something that works for me.

Seems like I can just cut some 3x6" foil rectangles, place them into a makeshift foil envelope, and put them in the oven to sterilize.

Then move to a SAB box, and using the same sterile technique I use to inoculate, cut the cap off my shroom with sanitized scissors, place it on a piece of sterile foil, and loosely cover with another piece of sterile foil (similar to the "tents" in Bod's Tek). Then close off the holes in the SAB...

After X? hours, remove the foil cover, remove the cap, and fold over the printed foil. Then proceed folding the edges to seal it off and and label.

Is that it? Do I need to fuss with a "handle" (thumbtack or toothpick) for the cap?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: Too Many Printing Teks - How's this? [Re: 920] * 1
    #26499080 - 02/22/20 10:58 PM (1 year, 11 days ago)

IME keeping spore prints totally sterile is hopeless. Better to keep them reasonably clean by bleaching your paper, foil or other material before printing. Then, don't bother with special technique other than touch the inoculating loop only to the spores. I've always gotten some contams on germination plates. Use a SAB and sterile technique to avoid overwhelming the plates with contams, but plan for two or more transfers to clean them up.

If you really want to get sterile cultures from the get-go, better to culture from a mushroom (cutting it open with a sterile blade and then extracting a sample with a second sterile blade in the SAB) rather than from spore prints.

BTW, I like PP5 salsa or yogurt container tops for prints. After printing, I trim them, fold over, and tape the edges with ordinary Scotch tape. They are easy to clean, easy to see where the spores are and easier to handle in the SAB than paper, foil or microscope slides.

$0.02

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Too Many Printing Teks - How's this? [Re: 920]
    #26499098 - 02/22/20 11:12 PM (1 year, 11 days ago)

Im currently on working on improving spore print cleanliness as well: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26499059

Im going to go one step further and place the foil and mushroom cap inside a half pint glass jar before opening the SAB. Im hoping this will improve cleanliness even more.

I like your needle-stab idea for the cap. Would make for a nice undisturbed print as well, for that bag appeal :lol:

OfflineZifozonke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Too Many Printing Teks - How's this? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26499130 - 02/22/20 11:31 PM (1 year, 11 days ago)

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Too Many Printing Teks - How's this? [Re: Zifozonke]
    #26499138 - 02/22/20 11:36 PM (1 year, 11 days ago)

I use small stainless steel scissors that can be sterilized with a bernzo torch. But if you elevate the cap off the foil with a cookie rack, then the caps or stem won’t touch the foil. I also have a giant pair of tweezers you can use if you make tons of prints so you are not moving your hands over the foil. If your doing a few prints you won’t need it. A cookie baking rack is a badass tool for spore printing.

I usually just use my gloved hand and only touch the top of the cap. Not underneath.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Edited by eatyualive (02/22/20 11:43 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation