Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Hygrometer, Oyster Shell, Peat, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Loc: shit mang
first time in a while grow setup
    #2649209 - 05/07/04 07:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok I am really proud of my setup and the conditions are seemingly optimal. I followed the mmgg using 1 pint jars.

I have made a large terrarium about 72" tall, 36" wide, and 18
" deep out of a plastic shelving unit with vented shelves. The whole thing is encased in a mildew and mold resistant heavy duty clear shower curtain. I use radio shack 4" double ball bearing fans, one on top, one on bottom, to empty out the air. The fans are covered with vent covers that open when the fan is on and close when it is off. I open the fruting chamber with a zipper I installed into the cabinet (using a hot glue gun high temp) and insulated the seams with magnet strips surrounded by vinyl shower curtain (the curtain seems to stick to itself making a really good seal). This is all hooked up to an ultrasonic humidifier which runs a 2.5" diamater plastic tubing which has 8 different holes dispersing humidity throughout the sides of the cabinet. It will hold a given humidity for over 8 hours without any humidification. I run the fans and humidifier 5 times every 24 hours for 15 mins. The fans run 2 mins before the humidifier starts, and the humidifier then runs 2 mins longer. I am keeping humidity 95%-96% currently but had it up to 100%. I am using a thermo-hygro wireless hygrometer from radio shack. I have had good results with these. (Accurate within +-3 or 4% at extended ranges which is as good as it gets)

Alrighty now you have a good idea of what is going on. I did 12 pint jars and got 11/12, one was slightly contaminated so I tossed the fucker. 5 of the jars are hawaiian, 6 of them are golden teacher.

Just to test the whole thing out before I fill it with casings... I took two jars, one ha, one gt, and put them in. Now I have not been around this scene for almost a year so I didn't dunk I just followed the tek... They have been in the fruiting chamber for 4 days now and no pinning. It seems they are fluffing up but I dont know how long this should last. I read something in the mmgg saying the no 1 cause of cakes not pinning is too high of a humidity so I backed it down to 95-96% but then I hear you guys dunk the goddamn things in buckets of water so I figure 100% humidity cant be too bad? I mean u cant get over 100% humidity.... Cant really reach it to be exact. (technically)

Another thing, how much does dunking and cold shocking speed up the pinning process? I want to do 9 casings but I have the need to experiment and I may dunk one of the cakes and cold shock and see how long it takes to pin.

Also in my casings is it good procedure to dunk the cakes before I do the casings or just rely on the water in the casings? Doing the verm, peat moss, crushed oyster shells, calcium carbonate casing substrate...

I will add pictures of my setup to this post in a little while once I charge my digital camera....

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-|:---- Doctor Of Journalism -----:|-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-|:---- S M C -----:|-=-=-=-=-

Edited by phucknut68 (05/07/04 07:49 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineredone
Errbody gettin'tRipsy
Loc: Right here^^^see, that's ...
Re: first time in a while grow setup [Re: phucknut68]
    #2649364 - 05/07/04 10:11 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like a pretty "involed" set-up. . . Good job. As far as dunking and cold-shocking, it
1. Makes sure the cakes are hydrated, cakes love it
2. (And most importantly) gives the myc an obvious decrease in temperature to stimulate pinning.

There are 3 things that initiate pinning:
when in runs out of edible substrate, gets light and has a drop in temp.

I wouldn't cold shock before casing though. After you case, you want to let the myc colonize the casing layer for a few days at 86deg. in darkeness. After the myc has colonized the casing layer evenly, cold shock it in the fridge, or by putting an ice pack in the fruiting set up.

I hope that helps

--------------------
"I'm just lying to try and get attention again."

The events in question are not to my recollection.

Edited by redone (05/07/04 10:18 AM)

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Re: first time in a while grow setup [Re: redone]
    #2649489 - 05/07/04 11:20 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok here's the pictures so you lazy bastards wont have to read the whole thing and draw a picture to figure it all out :

First a sideview to give you some perspective :

Next I will show you the zipper part:

this is the magnetic strip that keeps the bottom of the door closed:

This is the exhaust fan at the bottom, the top one is intake:

The fan at the top, it looks kind of fuzzy because its shot through the front door of it, it also shows the tube and some of the holes the humidity comes out of:

The cakes in question here, now I know I only have 2 cakes in this huge thing but if you would have read my initial post it says I am just testing this thing out and I have 9 more pint jars to be cased:

Next steps will be to add a bottom zipper and then fill with casings. This baby will hold 12 casings. And for you who dont like ducttape this is primo stuff the all weather and lasts a long time. Oh here is the timer and thermo hygro:

--------------------

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Re: first time in a while grow setup [Re: redone]
    #2649492 - 05/07/04 11:23 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok yeah I didnt think I would want to dunk the casing ones... ty

I think I satisfy your 3 points, they are completely colonized, they have light from a window and a light, and I have an air conditioner keeping them around 70... Maybe I should lower the temp on them further? Suggestions? Or am I just too impatient?

--------------------

OfflineCooltuba
Mycostudent
 User Gallery

Loc: Home
    #2649551 - 05/07/04 11:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sometimes it takes a while for pins. I'd say the quickest I've seen pins is around a week from birthing. It's more like a week and a half usually, though (for me, at least). Just have patience. BTW... one thing they need to initiate pinning that's not on Red's list is air exchange, but I think you've got that covered with the fans. Congrats on a nice set-up, and I wish you the best.

--Cooltuba

--------------------
Above musings are entirely fictional.  I do not grow mushrooms nor do I associate with anyone who does.

DRUGS ARE BAD!  MMMMKAY?

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
    #2698649 - 05/18/04 10:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I posted this setup as a grow log and I am updating it every day or two in case you want to check it out... Its under golden teacher and hawaiian cakes and casings

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Hygrometer, Oyster Shell, Peat, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation