Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenuckrus
Stranger
 User Gallery
Transplanted contaminated spawn into houseplant. Contam still growing happily?
    #26491373 - 02/18/20 10:50 AM (1 year, 12 days ago)

I read several users say that you can transplant contaminated cakes and spawn into a houseplant with soil and the problem will take care of itself and possibly yield a few mushrooms in the future.

So I did just that 5 days ago, added a thin layer of coir (non-pasteurized) on top as well for no particular reason, I just felt like it and thought it would look nice with the plant.

Now this morning, I woke up to lots of funky stuff. Indeed, all sorts of things had appeared on the surface around the outer edges. Have a look at these pictures I took:

1. Here, we have a fuzzy white patch. Looks too fuzzy to be cubensis mycelium. It looks more like the fuzz you would see on a tomato sauce that has stayed in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.

2. Here, we can see that a wispy mycelium is covering a large part of the surface. A small green patch can be seen near the center to the left. In the back, we can see a piece of wood covered in white dots. To the bottom-right of the center, we see a strong white patch, the only thing that looks remotely similar to cubensis myc.

3. Closer look at the green patch. Trichoderma? I sprayed 3% Peroxyde on this patch right after taking these pictures.

Now I will describe what my spawn looked like, for reference.

From the outside through the micropore, it smelled like wet feet. About half of the substrate was colonized with strong white cubensis mycelium. When I broke up the spawn to spread it into my soil, I was hit with a strong smell that is hard to describe. It was the classic spoiled food smell, the usual musty mold aromas. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that's what I have on the soil's surface right now. It didn't really look wispy, it was more like straight hairy strands covering surfaces of the brown rice. When I transplanted, I couldn't get the spawn too deep into the soil since I didn't want to harm the plant's roots too much. Could this have been a factor?

Anyway, I still think whatever's going on here in my plant is pretty cool. I'm just wondering a few things...

1. Could this be bad for the plant's health?
2. Is this usual when transplanting contam into soil? Will it eventually take care of itself?
3. Or is this operation already screwed? Should I purge the whole thing with H2O2?
4. (optional) Some ID would be cool, mostly just for learning purposes.

Thanks!

Edited by nuckrus (02/18/20 10:53 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezoidbergo
Gazes also into you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Central Coast, California
Re: Transplanted contaminated spawn into houseplant. Contam still growing happily? [Re: nuckrus]
    #26493479 - 02/19/20 04:10 PM (1 year, 10 days ago)

1. It's probably not going to hurt the plant. Dirt contains a LOT of mold. This mold is growing on your cube myc, meaning it's a fungal pathogen and probably not also a pathogen to your houseplant.

2. There's still plenty of food for the mold, so it'll keep growing. Moving your spawn into dirt just introduces more mold. I wouldn't be too worried about it. It'll put a few more spores into your airspace, but this type of mold is very common anywyas. As long as your house isn't a prime growing ground for mold you'll be fine, maybe move the plant outside if you're concerned about it.

3. I kinda doubt you'll get any fruit out of it. No real reason to kill it though. Something is going to rot the cube myc eventually no matter what you do.

4. Mold can't be identified without a microscope, and even then getting past the genus level is very hard. Since it's green its probably penicillium or trichoderma.

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation