Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: #108768 in line...
Clone from cloned mycelium...
    #2648991 - 05/07/04 03:32 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Take this possible scenario for example:

A stock culture from an excellent producing mushroom was made by traditional cap clone to agar. Fastest growth was chosen and moved to P2, grown out then put in a culture stock (slant). Said culture stock gets left for too long without mineral oil (possibly too cold also). Then an attempt was made to revive this culture (which took much time and work), with one plate successful. Said plate was then subsequently transferred to grain and set aside.

Grower then gets the idea to renew the stock culture from the plate (set aside several days before), only to find it has contaminated with the green meanies. Now, this grower does not want to go through the trouble of battling out the green meanies or going through the whole process of reviving the half-dead original stock (not really enough left to work with anyway). This grain gets transferred to straw and grown out. Instead of going through the trouble, would it be ok to clone a mushroom from this crop? Normally one would try to keep the culture as close to the original source as possible but the culture is almost dead, and bacteria is an issue.

Basically what I am asking is, will cloning again accelerate the degradation of genetics as seen with too many cell divisions (too much mycelial expansion)? I know you can take a single plate and turn that into more spawn than you could ever use, but basically it has only gone through these steps:

The clone plate
Isolation plate
Stock culture
Revived plates (p1, p2, p3)
Grain master
3 Pints rye
Say, a gallon of straw.

Would cloning a mushroom from this and putting it directly into stock again be ok (without problems with future mycelial expansion)? Will cloning again be bad in any way genetically, or will it accelerate the mycelial degradation beyond that of normal transfers?

To give is to live...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Clone from cloned mycelium... [Re: ATWAR]
    #2649092 - 05/07/04 05:19 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Similar thing happened also to me. I made a grain jar from a P4 culture and later lost the culture. I put grain back on agar and labeled it as a P6.

I think that it's not a problem, you'll just have to estimate how much P numbers you'll have to add.

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Clone from cloned mycelium... [Re: zeronio]
    #2651759 - 05/07/04 11:53 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I figured I could take a piece of substrate and get that on a plate. Peroxidated agar again I guess (don't you hate waiting for it to cool down?)...

Just wondering if taking a clone from an actual mushroom instead of substrate would result in any extra problems It would be easier, I don't need P-agar and I already have plates of MYA waiting (forgive me for being lazy, but I don't want to cook up an 1/8 cup of agar, nor go digging through the casing). Once put back "on ice" I probably wouldn't ever expand it further than another plate, then right to grain (if the first plate is acceptable). I just wasn't sure if taking another clone (from the cap) would dramatically affect the viability of the resulting mycelium since that is what started the whole culture...

I will probably do both, Just to be safe (really want to keep this one alive)...
Just like PMYA (is that what I would call it?), I guess I will cook some up, just to be safe...

To give is to live...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology