Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNoobieboomers
Stranger
BRF cakes to Bulk?
    #26483437 - 02/13/20 12:28 PM (1 year, 22 days ago)

So I have a question here about getting rolling with some ms syringes I have. I’ve tried getting them going on agar twice now with no luck, just contains. I’ve also gathered from here that going directly to grain from syringes is frowned upon due to contam risk.

My question then is this, in order to get started so I can take prints, but not have to mess with a SGFC, can I just inoculate a bunch of BRF cakes (since they are less contam prone than grain) and then crumble those up into a coir monotub when their colonized? This seems like the easiest, fastest way for me to safely get to a bulk grow from syringes....can anyone tell me why that’s wrong/ won’t work?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecna8
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: BRF cakes to Bulk? [Re: Noobieboomers]
    #26486401 - 02/15/20 03:24 AM (1 year, 21 days ago)

Hey mate

i do not know a lot so take this with a grain of salt.

the brown rice flour in the "brf cake" does the job of grain.
and the vermiculite does the job of the coir essentially.
Although mushrooms do eat coir its not a nutritionally rich substance.
Therefore i do not see a lot to gain from doing so.
I made those assumption based on the fact that people add grain spawn to a vermiculite gypsum mix for a bulk grow.
my reference to what led me to that assumption is bellow if your interested.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20470129#20470129
Zenarrow's post proves me wrong the link shows that spawning it to coir gives that guy about double the yield, I would still try poo and compare the two if it was me, but coir seems extremely easy so up to you.

If there was some food added i could see a gain however,
for example if adding it to poo.
here is a link on preparing poo
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14773334
heres a link on how to use the poo.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4323984

I recommend trying to spawn with a 1:10 ratio by volume for fast colonization.
1 part "brf cake" to : 10 part poo
you would be substituting the cakes for wbs.
Let me know how you get on.

good luck.

p.s. someone please correct me if i'm wrong i'm new

Edited by cna8 (02/15/20 02:12 PM)

OfflineNoobieboomers
Stranger
Re: BRF cakes to Bulk? [Re: cna8]
    #26486720 - 02/15/20 10:57 AM (1 year, 20 days ago)

Thanks for responding. My understanding is that the coir doesn't provide much nutrition, but does supply water and a medium for the mushrooms to grow on. Thats why grain spawn can go into coir for a bulk grow as well (following BODs Easy AF teks). I wanted to go with BRF cakes instead of grain spawn to do this tho because I am a total noob who is having trouble getting spores to germinate on agar first, and BRF has lower contamination risk than grain. Im avoiding the standard SGFC for pf tek because it just seems like a hassle to deal with and has lower yields than a coir monotub.

Offlinezenarrow
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26486909 - 02/15/20 01:18 PM (1 year, 20 days ago)

Hey my friend I know it is frowned upon.  But I did 9 quart jars of WBS and 8 half pint brf cakes from syringes.

All nine quart jars did just fine, just use the sterile techniques flame after each inoculation of jars.
I used 2 syringes on said amounts.

Put 7 jars into a monotub,  kept 2 jars in refrigerator for future g2g transfers. 
(But I know I will be flamed myself and be told to count myself lucky since I did not lose one to contams. I did 2 CC's to each 2/3 full quart jar and 1 cc to each half pint brf jars)

Of the 8 brf jars only 6 colonized,  I had planned to do another sgfc but decided to do 2 shoeboxes instead.

I took 3 cakes, crumbled them up in a gallon sized ziplock bag.

Then doubled the amount with coir vermiculite substrate,  so 3 half pint jars of brf spawn to 3 pints of substrate.

The recipe I used for the coir verm mixture,  and I know it is a little waste of like $1.50.

1 brick of eco earth coir. 2 quarts of vermiculite and 4 quarts of boiling tap water, all in clean 5 gallon bucket, with lid.

Gets the "field capacity" just right. If I squeeze hard enough a few drops of H2O will drop out.

Better dryer than too wet.

After temps dropped enough in mixture. I mixed it up with nitrile gloves on and covered with lid again.

After temperature of mixture in bucket was well below 100 farenheit (note: this is when I crumbled cakes) I added the 3 half pints of spawn in clear shoebox with the 3 pints of coir verm. What I did was use spent half pint jar filled it 6 times.

Mixed thoroughly in shoebox,  leveled it very nicely without packing it down. Then used about a 1/4 inch of the coir verm mixture as a casing on top. This serves as a source for h2o for your substrate to draw off of.

I then snapped clear lid on, and put right into fruiting conditions,  meaning 12/12 lighting.

The substrate colonized quickly and condensation was present on the inside of the unmodifided shoebox tub.

Once I noticed a nice pinset, I just snapped the lid so it could get fresh air. And left it unsnapped throughout rest of grow.

One thing I wish I would have done and will do next time is have a plastic liner in the tub, so when the mushys have grown, you can lift entire substrate out of box and makes harvesting I would imagine so much easier.

Anyway here is a good thread on brf to bulk info. But if I do another shoebox,  I will do it exactly the same way as I did before.

Cheers and GL

BRF to bulk/Cakes as spawn : Post your BRF Bulk grows - Mushroom Cultivation - Shroomery Message Board
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=2&Number=24945782&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Offlinecna8
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26487025 - 02/15/20 02:31 PM (1 year, 20 days ago)

Hey mate if you want to spawn to coir try it Zenarrow's post has a link that shows it doubles yield.
(i edited my post to reflect that i was wrong)

I would recommend trying that and poo and comparing the two.
However coir seems a lot simpler than preparing poo.
For the effort you may be better off just making more jars and doing more coir tubs but only trying it would tell you as i don't know.

Heres a hpoo tek using cakes;
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/723303#Post723303
heres the link Zenarrow posted it shows using coir;
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=2&Number=24945782&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Here's an older post i found by searching about the same thing
It has some more answer's you might find interesting to read.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6102741

Good Luck

Offlinecna8
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26487166 - 02/15/20 04:22 PM (1 year, 20 days ago)

Hey bro I just read a 24page thread on hpoo vs coir and the horse poo only yielded 5 grams more. It's only one run though so not definite but for the effort I wouldn't bother with the poo my bad.
Here's the link. I think that link takes you to the dry yield page
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20875882/fpart/20/vc/1#20875882

OfflinePantaRhei
Hyphal Servant
I'm a teapot
    #26487294 - 02/15/20 06:09 PM (1 year, 20 days ago)

Here is the link to a guy spawning BRF to bulk. He has a whole mini series on the fruiting process!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started