Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinekitten6
hiker
Male
Loc: UK 0161
Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: Shr00mEater]
    #26536425 - 03/15/20 11:04 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

haha yeah these athiests u know what are they on about, saying there is no god and then admitting that you can't disprove god only to say that you can't prove god either.

all seems a bit baseless really.

But to be honest I don't really see the point having to give yourself a label like that, you have to pretty sure about yourself to do such a thing. I don't really see where that sureness comes from?? Maybe they just didn't like going to church as a kid. But I can't really say cause I never went myself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYellow Pants
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: kitten6]
    #26536438 - 03/15/20 11:11 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

It’s a response to religious fundamentalism, or anybody who says a bit too confidently that they saw something special. The thought process of the atheist is usually pretty simple.  Often times more of a criticism of others than a real stance.  I haven’t heard a good stance on atheism other than “prove it” or “religion is stupid”.

InvisiblePinkerton
Koanist

Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26536554 - 03/15/20 12:10 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
I know what I need to know to type on my keyboard,
it does not matter really what I know,
you know you have to try to sit calmly or you never will,
others cannot do it for you.

that is the mystery of self. that which nobody else can do.

Of course it matters what you know, you may help ease my situation and explain to me WTF is going on. But I suppose that is not a part of the programme, let the elect suffer. :sad:

It's funny you tell me to sit calmly in my chair. I lay in my bed most of the day, calmly.

The mystery of myself is OC knows me more than I know myself fer chrissakez.

Some years back after I was forced into the program OC posted a video of a mantis or something, the man talking in the background tried to be funny and I laughed hard to myself thinking ironically that is OC's humour. Guess what, the next post OC posted in the thread he posted something like "Yes, this is exactly my humor." completely out of the blue, I.E it had no relevance to the threads previous posts. Can't find the thread now.

You never post direct answers, rgv, it's all beating around the bush.  :shakefist:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: Pinkerton]
    #26536884 - 03/15/20 03:33 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

more like right in the thicket, than beating around the bush.
but I can say I know nothing about your OC history and subsequent issues.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisiblePinkerton
Koanist

Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26538494 - 03/16/20 12:16 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Hopefully, you will know more "When the stewdent is ready...".

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: Pinkerton]
    #26538935 - 03/16/20 03:55 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#26539223 - 03/16/20 07:05 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
the spirit of scientific investigation is the most holy spirit, and that transcends any struggle with the idea of god.

Are you drunk dude?

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisiblePinkerton
Koanist

#26539884 - 03/17/20 03:33 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Have you changed your mustache, rgv?

It looks like me though. :shakefist:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: Grapefruit]
    #26540022 - 03/17/20 06:02 AM (4 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
Quote:

redgreenvines said:
the spirit of scientific investigation is the most holy spirit, and that transcends any struggle with the idea of god.

Are you drunk dude?

alcohol is not my thing

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#26540152 - 03/17/20 07:40 AM (4 years, 30 days ago)

Then maybe it should be because that was total nonsense. You like science woop dee fucking doo da. No need to push your shit onto everyone else like some kind of Mormon.

I don't see any reason we all need to start being scientists, sure science has some marvellous achievements (and some catastrophes). Firstly, the tale is science is one yet to be told, and secondly the world coped just fine without them for centuries and there were already plenty of blessings... reason, logic, discrimination, love (this list can go on and on) without it.

Don't act like, or try to sell me on, the idea that your beanstalk transcends someone else's because you have no way of knowing that. So many of the problems of the past can be reduced to all the saviour types doing exactly that and then people herd up and don't listen to one another. "most holy thing" my arse, you have no idea.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: Grapefruit]
    #26540573 - 03/17/20 11:12 AM (4 years, 30 days ago)

ok, let me ask you, if there is a vaccine for covid, would you take it?

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#26540641 - 03/17/20 11:55 AM (4 years, 30 days ago)

Whatever that has to do with the spirit of science being the most holy thing i have no idea. I could very well ask you whether if you had a nuke would you drop it. Einstein said yes do it.

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisiblePinkerton
Koanist

#26540784 - 03/17/20 01:16 PM (4 years, 30 days ago)

Science is a method to achieve greatness or despair. It's all up to humanity what they want to achieve with science.

Science is the holy spirit if advancements in brain research and the medical field can fix our emotional issues through permanent empathogenic medicines.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26540883 - 03/17/20 02:12 PM (4 years, 30 days ago)

--------------------

Invisiblewolfiewolfie
Just wingin' it.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia Flag
    #26542170 - 03/18/20 07:43 AM (4 years, 29 days ago)

--------------------

The only reason why T-rex's can't walk backwards is because they're extinct, which perfectly explains why there are no headaches in the rainforest; The parrots eat 'em all.

My Drawings

Offlinekitten6
hiker
Male

Loc: UK 0161
    #26542319 - 03/18/20 09:19 AM (4 years, 29 days ago)

I think a lot of people look to science as a way, or kind of hope that the products of science may be able to ease their sufferings. Things people are scared of like disease, hard work, war and more ranging from minor to life threatening have a chance of being solved by some form of science. In general people who are scared of dying look to science as a way to postpone.

But I think it's not good to encourage the idea of trying to escape suffering. People need to learn to live with it. And if it means you die, you die, better luck in the next life. You try and escape, normally it won't get you anywhere and even if it does, it will only cause you numerous more problems in the process.

Religion on the other hand gives people the hope that things may get better as well. By praying enough eventually you learn how to cope with your issues. And if you die it's no big deal you'll always get another chance in the next life.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Yet another thread about atheism and God. But this time it's different. [Re: kitten6]
    #26542818 - 03/18/20 02:48 PM (4 years, 29 days ago)

I don't think of the gifts of science or god, but in science I can understand how things are, I can see how they work together, it is a meditation upon what is, all of what is.
science is sort of like hunting, but hunting without killing, just finding more of what is.

maybe an extension of childhood discovery?

In that way science is exciting. all kinds of people get into it. many are crazy kooks, but all have something in common, and it is not about the gifts they will get, it's about revealing what is underneath what we take for granted.
of course some like Prometheus bring fire to the tribe, and Archimedes spilled water...

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#26543072 - 03/18/20 05:02 PM (4 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
Einstein did not support use of nuclear weapons.

https://www.businessinsider.com/albert-einstein-wrote-letter-us-roosvelt-atomic-bomb-2019-8?r=US&IR=T

But he did, and he regretted it his whole life apparently. It's pretty well known. Even supposing we only assume it's true in theory it seems to me that science is very much in need of stuggling with thoughts about karmic law (god?), and you could easily say that makes that struggle for sanity a higher and holier spirit than that of science alone.

To quote some Tesla

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26543997 - 03/19/20 06:54 AM (4 years, 28 days ago)

Not so much that he supported the bomb, but he did support atomic research and knew that the balance of power with the Axis crucially required equivalent knowledge development in the USA.

He did regret that supremacy in this knowledge was a terrible path of escalation but as the man in the high castle suggests, it was better this way.

Quote:

from grapefruit's link which scrolls endlessly:
Einstein sent Roosevelt:
Sir:
Some recent work by E. Fermi and L. Szilard, which has been communicated to me in manuscript, leads me to expect that the element uranium may be turned into a new and important source of energy in the immediate future. Certain aspects of the situation which has arisen seem to call for watchfulness and, if necessary, quick action on the part of the Administration. I believe therefore that it is my duty to bring to your attention the following facts and recommendations:
In the course of the last four months it has been made probable — through the work of Joliot in France as well as Fermi and Szilard in America — that it may become possible to set up a nuclear chain reaction in a large mass of uranium, by which vast amounts of power and large quantities of new radium-like elements would be generated. Now it appears almost certain that this could be achieved in the immediate future.
This new phenomenon would also lead to the construction of bombs, and it is conceivable — though much less certain — that extremely powerful bombs of a new type may thus be constructed. A single bomb of this type, carried by boat and exploded in a port, might very well destroy the whole port together with some of the surrounding territory. However, such bombs might very well prove to be too heavy for transportation by air.
The United States has only very poor ores of uranium in moderate quantities. There is some good ore in Canada and the former Czechoslovakia, while the most important source of uranium is Belgian Congo.
In view of this situation you may think it desirable to have some permanent contact maintained between the Administration and the group of physicists working on chain reactions in America. One possible way of achieving this might be for you to entrust with this task a person who has your confidence and who could perhaps serve in an inofficial capacity. His task might comprise the following:
a) to approach Government Departments, keep them informed of the further development, and put forward recommendations for Government action, giving particular attention to the problem of securing a supply of uranium ore for the United States;
b) to speed up the experimental work, which is at present being carried on within the limits of the budgets of University laboratories, by providing funds, if such funds be required, through his contacts with private persons who are willing to make contributions for this cause, and perhaps also by obtaining the co-operation of industrial laboratories which have the necessary equipment.
I understand that Germany has actually stopped the sale of uranium from the Czechoslovakian mines which she has taken over. That she should have taken such early action might perhaps be understood on the ground that the son of the German Under-Secretary of State, von Weizsäcker, is attached to the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut in Berlin where some of the American work on uranium is now being repeated.
Yours very truly,
A.E.

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#26544018 - 03/19/20 07:05 AM (4 years, 28 days ago)

Eh, excuses. Sticking up for your man. My link puts across the four main points in bold right at the start. Also ignored and didn't respond to the principle of it in theory that I laid down. Carry on.

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom