Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

2nd flush Transkei cakes (pics) * 1
    #26469982 - 02/05/20 09:58 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE 13/04/2020

Just a pic of the 2nd flush of Transkei cakes:

Not much to show but I feel happy for these.

Thai Pink Buffalo cakes I guess they died. The mushroom smell was gone and changed to what seemed an acidic smell. The cakes felt squishy when I grabbed them. Alseo they turned yellow and some areas were orange even. So I tossed those.

Mazatapec cakes look ok. No yellow, no bruising, not squishy. But the few pins it produces seem like mutants and then always turn into aborts and then I guess the mycelium reclaims them back. I'll just keep these cakes in the SGFC until they go bad. Maybe eventually they will decide someday to produce proper fruits. Here's a pic of a few of those mutant / aborts:

:cool:

UPDATE 07/04/2020

Guys I've got 12 cakes going. Up until now only 4 cakes have fruited successfully (Transkei). The first pins started forming on the 27th March. Yesterday the mushrooms on these 4 cakes that have been growing for 10 days started to open their caps so I had to harvest these. Problem is the fruits of these 4 cakes were too small as you will see.

After searching the forum it seems most of the times the cause of getting small fruits is lack of moisture/misting etc. But I'm pretty sure I misted enough. In fact I suspect I might have overdone the misting and maybe that might have contributed to the size of the mushrooms to be so small. Why I believe I over misted? Because the cakes seemed heavy. Specially the Transkei cakes (maybe because of the fruits yes). But if you read my other updates some cakes were growing the gelatinous goo on bottom. Someone hinted that this might be because of overmisting. I am also using a pressure sprayer for misting. And if I am not careful the cakes get super wet because the pump sprays a lot of water with a wide angle.

Also as you can see in the pics below this cakes had lots of pins on the bottom of the cakes. Maybe when cakes produce this much pins the mushrooms will grow small because there's not enough resources for the mushrooms to grow bigger? What do you think?

Some pics:

What about the other 8 cakes? What do you think might be causing the absence of mushrooms? 4 cakes are Thai Pink Buffalo the other 4 are Mazatapec.
The Mazatapec cakes actually produced some pins on the bottom 2 weeks or so ago. But these few pins stalled so then I decided after a week to dunk these 8 cakes for 12h. After the dunk the pins forming bellow the Mazatapec cakes came out of the water with their caps black. So I figured these pins died so I removed these, then placed the cakes back into the SGFC. So they've been in the SGFC for a week now after the 2nd dunk and no pins. What do you think might be the problem?

4 days ago when I realized I was maybe over misting I decided to not mist for 2 days. I now only do 2 misting sessions a day with light misting then a bit of fanning, then leave the lid open for a couple of hours. I mist when I notice the cakes start to dry. RH is at 99%. The cakes get 12h of light using 2 6500K light bulbs with 2452 lux each. One lamp on the top the other on the side. Perlite is about 10 cm deep. SGFC is built almost to the T. Except the holes I think I should have made them a bit wider, they're only 4mm. Couldn't bother to go buy the right drill at the time. Now I regret.

The weight results of my first harvest were 131g fresh, when properly dried (cracker dried) turned into 8.25g. These are now stored in a glass jar with gel silica to absorb any leftover moisture.

I know I have a very long way to go until I am satisfied with my cultivation skills of course. That is why I need some feedback regarding the problems I'm facing. Thank you.

UPDATE 29/03/2020

SHORT VERSION:

Mazatapec cakes: only 2 pinning from bottom what appear to be aborts. What to do? Other 2 Mazatapec cakes remain eventless.
Transkei cakes: 3 cakes pinning strong on the bottom. All 4 cakes are pinning ok on top.
Thai Pink Buffalo cakes: not doing anything.

Reason for pinning on bottom: overmisting. Read long version for explanation of my theory.

Thoughts?

LONG VERSION:

2 Mazatapec cakes started pinning on the bottom of the cake as well.

Here's some pics from the bottom of 1 of those MAZ cakes:

These pins look weird. The cap is grey brown doesn't feel lively. Are these aborts? Mutants? Should I remove them from the cake?

Here's an update on the Transkei cakes. They started to pin on top! So that makes me happy. Also more pins are showing at the bottom as well. Check the pics:

Top of the cakes:

On the bottom of these Transkei cakes there are more pins:

So regarding the bottom pinning:

After searching for other posts mentioning this same problem, and reading some RRs posts about bottom pinning, I decided to leave this bottom pinning just happen. I won't remove this pins or flip the cakes since flipping could cause these to abort. Also if they pinned down there then they should know better than me where to pin.

I think that the cakes are more happy to pin on the bottom because, I think after reading tons of threads and posts, that the cakes will always pin where there is more moisture and humidity. That's why for example when people are using monotubs sometimes if they're not using liners, the substrate can start pinning on the sides. But my problem wasn't lack of misting and dry cakes, it was the opposite: I misted too much.
I am using a pressure sprayer:

This sprayer sprays a very fine mist but constantly and with with a wide angle. Maybe this contributed to over misting. Also I took too seriously the "mist until the verm glistens with moisture" advice. That bacterial gelatinous goo on the bottom of at least 2 cakes is proof that I may have overmisted. To this add the fact that I am using the CBK's bottom watering TEK which requires foil plates. After misting a lot, water accumulates on the bottom. Because this are foil plates, the side barrier of these plates maybe prevents FAE to get to the bottom of the cakes and little to no evaporation takes place.

So concluding the bottom of the cakes have more moisture/saturation so the cakes pinned there in more numbers. Next time I will use standard flat foil bases for the cakes and use the foil plates only when I have 1cm pins ready for CBK's bottom watering TEK. I will also mist less because this pressure sprayer is powerful.

Other than that I think I have been doing a good job with my misting, fanning, FAE routine. I mist the cakes, fan with the lid for 30 secs, then I'll wait until the cakes dry a bit, or humidity drops to 92%+-, then I mist again. FAE is happening. I think next pic shows that. Around the holes of the SGFC there is no condensation so ar is coming in:

If you guys have anything to add to this, advice, criticism etc you are welcome.

UPDATE 27/03/2020

So finally I'm seeing some results! Felt good when yesterday I spotted this first pin growing from a Transkei cake:

Problem is the pin is at the bottom of the cake. When the next day I decided to take a better look at what is going on in the bottom of the cakes I noticed the same cake had more pins coming up from below, between the cake and the foil, and one other Transkei cake as well. Here's 2 pics from the bottom of the 2 cakes:

One of these cakes has 1 pin on top. But 95% of pins and Hyphal Knots are below the cakes.

This next 2 pics are from one Mazatapec cake that is also pinning from below:

Now thinking about this got me confused because I've read again and again that FAE is king, and that evaporation of water from the surface of mycelium caused by FAE is the number 2 major pinning trigger right after full colonization.

But below the cakes between mycelium and foil there is no FAE, no light and lots of humidity right? So why did the cakes decided to pin below?

I've been following a routine that includes letting the cakes dry a bit then misting them until the verm on top is glistening with moisture, then I fan the cakes a bit then I leave the lid open a few hours then close the lids. 8h later the cakes will need misting and I repeat again the misting, fanning, lid open etc etc. I'm now leaving 2 6500k lights on during daytime, for 8h +-.
What am I doing wrong that causes the pins showing up from below the cakes?

This reminds me of some posts I read here of people complaining that their monotub substrate is pinning from the sides. I guess in that case the sides of a monotub have similar conditions to the conditions below a PF cake right? Why is it that in this cases pins prefer to show up where there is little FAE, little light and lots of RH?

Here's some pictures of my setup and cakes:

Left column are Transkei Cakes.
Middle column are Thai Pink Buffalo.
Right column Mazatapec .

So about the Thai Pink Buffalo cakes: these cakes are doing nothing. I see no pins, they feel a little bit soft when I grab them, compared to Transkei which feel really hard and heavy. Also the Mycelium of Thai Pink Buffalo cakes have not colonized much of the verm. Could it be weak genetics?

So what do you guys think about this bottom pinning paradox. Any suggestions?

Quote:

Sockadin said:
Awesome. I'm always happy to see someone doing it the right way.

On the goo. Change the foil base. Don't roll it up into a cup for those cakes with the bacteria. Just wipe the bottom of the cake with some paper towel to knock off the colony. Put them on a flat piece of foil and hope for the best. Should make it through a flush or two.

The next 5 days are going to be fun. But don't touch the cakes. When they start to fruit they are going to create a climate between each cake and Everytime you move one you are disturbing that. SGFC can really be set and forget. It doesn't need all the misting and fanning people say it does.

Thanks for the reply Shockadin.

I guess I've been messing up with the cakes a bit cause I wanted to see up close what was happening below the cakes and because of that gelatinous goo below some of them. I will follow your advice and replace the foils from those cakes and wipe them below.

Sure was fun and nice when I saw that first pin!

UPDATE 22/03/2020

Well this is upsetting. Looks like my PF Tek project (1st grow) is going south...
The cakes have been in the SGFC for 7 days now. No Hyphal Knots so far.
I've been following the standard routine: misting, fanning, 6500k light on during day time etc.

Here's some pics and descriptions of what seems to be happening to the cakes:

This pic was taken 2 or 3 days after I placed the cakes into the SGFC.

This pic was taken today, 7 days after cakes were place into the SGFC.
As you can see the mycelium is colonizing the verm around. But when I look close I'm not even sure if it is mycelium. Here's some more pics:

What do you guys think that white stuff is? Mycelium going hungry and colonizing the verm? Or some kind of contamination?
IF it is contamination can I use a sharp knife and cut those overgrown white stuff?

I took the cakes out of the foil plates to see whats going on below the cakes. Here's what I found:

Most cakes have this wispy or cottony stuff below. Is it mold? Cobweb?

2 cakes have this gelatinous goo below. And I believe 2 other cakes might be starting to grow of this gelatinous goo as well. I sniffed this stuff and it doesn't smell like anything weird. It smells like mushroom. What is this? Bacteria? Should I use a sharp knife and cut a slice on the bottom of this cakes to get rid of this goo?

This 2 cakes have little green/blue spots. I believe this might be green mold known as trich... Am I right? Or might it be bruising because I was grabbing them to check below? If it is green mold what can be done?

So overall I don't have many cakes that look ok. Either there are green spots, or that white stuff taking over, or the gelatinous goo bellow. Well maybe 1 or 2 cakes are good but... I'm afraid if all this stuff I showed you are contamination it might spread to the few healthy cakes.

Need advice. Thanks!

UPDATE 15/03/2020

I already had my SGFC ready.
Tried my best to follow this SGFC Tek by SpitballJedi:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20195542#20195542

Here's some pictures:

Used a marker to distribute the points where I drilled the holes 5cm apart.
I didn't have a proper drill and couldn't bother to go buy one cause I was anxious to finish the SGFC and convinced myself it wouldn't make much difference. So the holes are about 4mm wide. Will this be a problem? Here's some pics:

While drilling I think I might have pressed too hard so some holes have cracks. Don't think this will make a difference.

About the dunk I let the cakes under water for 26h30m +- cause I had some stuff to solve.
This extra 2h30m dunk is a problem?

Anyway here's how it's looking now:

I've got a digital hygrometer that also measures temperature. It uses an external probe so I don't think it will get damaged from the moisture. The digital screen is outside the SGFC.
I placed the cakes on the SGFC about 3h ago. As of right now the hygrometer marks 99% humidity and 21.9 Cº. I haven't turned on the 6500K bulb yet because since I didn't mist the cakes it could dry the cakes. I'll wait a few hours before misting so the vermiculite sticks to the cakes better.

While I was placing the cakes I distributed the cakes like this:
Left column Transkei, Middle column Thai Pink Buffalo, right column Mazatapec.
But then I took the SGFC to my room and I lost track of the position of the SGFC. So now I know the middle column is Thai Pink Buffalo but the side columns I'm not sure what they are. I'll do some research watching pics. I hope I can easily tell the difference between Mazatapec and Transkei.

So here's my questions for you guys:
- 4mm holes on SGFC not ideal but ok?
- Cracks on the holes will spread and get worse?
- Extra 2h30m dunk damaged the mycelium in any way?
- In your experience will I be able to recognise the difference between Transkei and Mazatapec visually?

Cheers

EDIT:
By the way I want to say thank you to the guys that keep replying to this thread and my posts. It helps.

UPDATE 14/03/2020

So I just finished birthing my 12 cakes.

Things look different after birthing cause there's no glass between my eyes and the mycelium now. I'd like you guys to take a look at some pictures and tell me what you think.

What do you guys think that brown spot is? An attempt to fruit a mushroom? Some kind of mutant? Or contamination?

This one was is the TRK2 jar. The same one I showed you before where a strange growth could be seen. Now after birthing I think it might be a mutant. What does it look like to you?

TRK (Transkei) jars all have a thick mycelium. This one as you can see expanded to the glass and looks weird. Is this normal? Mazatapec and Thai Pink Buffalo jars didn't do this.

Some jars had this white fluffy stuff on the vermiculite barrier. You think it is the Mycelium or some mold?

UPDATE 04/03/2020

All 12 jars are now 100% colonized. Thai Pink Buffalo and Transkei jars finished colonization about a week ago and Mazatapec finished 2 days ago.

I hope to birth the cakes on the 14th of March.

So I was surprised the TPB jars recovered and finished first than Mazatapec. Also TPB jars mycelium is looking good despite all my doubts I had before as you can read on my first posts.´

But now I'm having some doubts about what's going on with my Transkei jars. There's some weird growth on 3 jars. Might be mold or mycelium behaving weird I don't know. Here's some pictures:

This is TRK2 jar. I noticed that spot starting to grow about a month ago or more but I didn't payed too much attention because it seemed to me like what happens for example in the center of an agar petri dish. But now it's big and a bit yellowish. What do you think it is?

I think the same is happening bellow TRK3 jar. Can you see that growth? Looks less scary than the one on TRK2 but even so that's how that spot started on TRK2. What is it?

This jar, and with some of the other TRK jars, bellow the inoculation hole the mycelium got thicker and fluffy looking. With this jar right at the center of the fluffy mycelium I can see some growth similar to how that spot on TRK2 started. What is it?

UPDATE 14/02/2020

So as my 12 cakes approach 100% colonization I'm preparing for the next stages. I think I've got the Dunk and Roll part figured out. Doesn't look too complicated.

But after that I'm having some doubts. Regarding the fruitification stage I want to be precise and know exactly what I should be doing.

So I read and read posts from multiple TC's and I've come up with a plan that more or less is in agreement with what they have written on this forum. But there might be some mistakes. So here it goes:

AFTER THE CAKES ARE DUNKED, ROLLED AND PLACED INTO THE SGFC:

1. SGFC should be about 10 cm above the surface of the table using 6 upside down 1/2 pint jars for example.
    The SGFC should not be against any walls in order for air currents to go through it thus increasing FAE.
    Temperature should be between 68F and 72F. Use an oil heater connected to a thermostat in order to maintain this temperature in the room.

2. After dunk and roll wait between 12h and 24h before applying the first mist so that the vermiculite sticks to the cakes properly.

3. Misting should be done like so:
    Use the spray bottle about 30cm from above the cakes. The water droplets should be as thin as possible. Mist the cakes directly until they glisten with moisture. Also mist the perlite so it can maintain it's humidity capabilities. Always try to avoid misting the walls of the SGFC.
    After misting use the lid to fan the terrarium for about 30 seconds in order to remove excess CO2 and also to allow the water on the cakes to begin evaporation which is a major pinning trigger.

4. Always check in the morning before work, late afternoon and before bed if the cakes are hydrated and glistening with moisture. If not apply misting as described in step 3 until they do.

5. A 6500K light fluorescent bulb is placed 50 cm above the SGFC. It should be turned on in the morning before work and turned off after coming home. Thus a 12h +- light cycle is applied.

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until first signs of fruiting are visible: hyphal knots. At this point the amount of water when misting must be reduced to just enough to keep a healthy level of humidity inside the SGFC, not below 90%.

7. After the hyphal knots have become pins +- 1cm long introduce water into the foil dishes where the cakes are placed on. This is explained in the Bottom Watering TEK by CBK.

8. At this stage increase the amount of water when misting. Be careful not to let the pins become too wet. After misting fanning is required in order for amount of water on the mushrooms to evaporate. It also is possible to not close the SGFC with the lid for 1 hour or so in order to promote increased FAE.

9. Step 8 should be repeated about 3 times or whenever possible / necessary every day. Start harvesting as soon as the mushrooms start to break the veil.

So where are the mistakes and what can be improved here?

UPDATE 13/02/2020

So what appeared to be an hyphal knot maybe wasn't and it was just the mycelium behaving strangely. Here's an updated photo of the jar in question:

This jar is also very wet inside. Look at these pictures:

The other 3 Thai Pink Buffalo jars are also wet inside but not as bad as this jar. The other 4 Mazatapec and 4 Trainskey Jars are not wet. I mean I can see very small drops but it's almost unnoticeable.

What do you guys think is causing this problems with TPB jars?
- The weird looking mycelium
- The wet inside glass
- That small blob that appeared to be an hyphal knot but went back to being mycelium.

UPDATE 12/02/2020

Guys one of my Thai Pink Buffalo jars is 40% or so colonized and I see what appears to be an hyphal knot. Check it out:

If it is an hyphal knot why now if it's not even fully colonized?
If it isn't what is it then?

By the way my 4 Transkei jars are 90% colonized, the 4 Mazatapec jars are about 75%. None have hyphal knots and mycelium looks just fine.
This particular Thai Pink Buffalo jar has this hyphal knot and all 4 of them have a funny looking mycelium, cloudy in some areas, not homogenous, and some spots seem like crisp white. Also these TPB jars are just 40% colonized. All 12 jars have been produced using the same substrate, same temps same everything. Is it maybe the Thai Pink Buffalo genetics the reason why these 4 jars are underperforming?

02/05/20

I inoculated 12 jars on the 21st January and started to see first signs of germination on the 27th January, 6 days later.

I used a modification to the PF Tek that RR mentioned a few times:

For 12 1/2 pint Jars (240ml):
1440g of Vermiculite
720g of Rice Bran
720ml of 25% coffee + 75% water
25g Gypsum
2 hours steam sterilization

The labeling on the jars:
4 jars TRK = Transkei
4 jars TPB = Thai Pink Buffalo
4 jars MAZ = Mazatapec

I took some pictures:

TRK1

TRK2

TRK3

TRK4

MAZ1

MAZ2

MAZ3

MAZ4

TPB1

TPB2

TPB3

TPB4

All the TRK jars are doing great I think. These were the first to germinate and are ahead of the other 2 varieties.

MAZ jars were the last to germinate. I guess the reason was because the spore print I used to make the syringe was the poorest in terms of spore quantity. It was very faint and small. And also I read somewhere that Mazatapec is a slow colonizer variety.

TPB jars were the 2nd variety to germinate. But now they seem to have stalled a bit. I mean the MAZ jars have caught on and some are ahead even. 2 days ago I read on some posts that little to no GE might be the problem. So I decided to loosen up the TPB jar lids a bit. It was tough cause the lids were really stuck. The next days they colonized a bit more. But still I have my doubts. If you pay close attention you'll see the mycelium in the TPB jars looks different form TRK and MAZ jars. This one looks kind of cloudy and irregular. TRK looks much nicer and homogeneous compared to TPB. What do you think of this?

Also Is it a good idea to loosen up the lids of the other 8 jars to speed up colonization? I haven't done so already cause I'm afraid it might fuck up what otherwise seems good mycelium (except those orange spots and the MAZ1 jar that I mention below).

My main concerns are with TPB and MAZ jars.

So there's this cloudy looking mycelium in the TPB jars as I mentioned and also some TPB and MAZ jars have what seem to bee small orange spots. And one MAZ jar, the MAZ1 2nd picture top left, has a bigger area with a slight orange coloration. Is this orange area on MAZ1 2nd picture top left metabolites? Or just a larger area of substrate pressed against the glass?
The small orange dots are contamination or is it the substrate being pressed against the glass as well?

While I was preparing this post I wrote a list of which pictures had this orange dots but the more I looked the more all jars seemed to have this small orange dots. These have to be the substrate being pressed against the jars right?

Other abnormalities:
I also spotted 2 or 3 small red dots on the uncolonized substrate, like for example TPB1 jar 4th picture top right right next to the mycelium. Is that normal? I figured some vermiculite grains just have different colors.
I also noted some black spots in some 4 jars or so. Should be the vermiculite as well?

In case you need more information about how I'm storing the jars during colonization:

So where I'm living now it's winter and a bit chilly even inside my room, cause we don't use central heating. Temps inside are around 64F. I figured that if I left the jars to colonize at this temperature it would take forever. So what I did is I'm using my SAB to store the colonized jars. The SAB is on a small table. And underneath the SAB on a bottom shelf, I have a space heater connected to a thermostat. The temperature probe is placed inside the SAB. Whenever the temperature inside the SAB is below 71.6F the space heater is turned on automatically and the temperature goes up. When the temperature reaches 75.2F the space heater is turned off. So the temperature inside the SAB where the colonized jars are stored, is kept at an average of 73.4F. Considering that the inside of the jars will probably be around 3F hotter, the substrate temperatures will be around 76.4F. Which according to RR is fine for the mycelium.

Edited by goatchild (04/13/20 11:03 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Is this mycelium looking healthy? [Re: goatchild]
    #26471519 - 02/06/20 06:02 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone? :tongue:

--------------------
"What stands in the way becomes the way."

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Is this mycelium looking healthy? [Re: goatchild]
    #26471562 - 02/06/20 06:49 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

GOD DAmN! THats a lot of PHoToS! :incredible:

All 40+ cakes are looking my friend. Nice work :thumbup:

Interesting lid-flipping u got there :strokebeard:

OfflineCamera93
We got dicks like Jesus
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Is this mycelium looking healthy? [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26471567 - 02/06/20 06:56 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

100% honest..that's a lot of images to keep trying to refer back to, you could help us and yourself out by singling out the photos you have questions about.
Cakes are pretty resilient, and imo yours are looking fine

that spot on the bottom right looks funny, but I have never make PF cakes and it could just be the brf pressed up against the glass

I don't see anything alarming, at least no big red-flags that I know to look for or recognize.

Sorry this isn't a more in-depth response, but its a little outta my scope to offer to much of an opinion on a process I haven't done myself

How it should & shouldn't look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE

This thread is a good place to refer too along the way

**damn took to long typing, Logic beat me to it
well there ya go!                                              :whathesaid:

Edited by Camera93 (02/06/20 06:58 AM)

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Is this mycelium looking healthy? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #26471703 - 02/06/20 08:55 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah sorry about the photos.

I just wanted to be sure you guys could see every spot of mycelium.

Actually I inoculated 12 jars not 40. I just took a picture of the labeled lids and the mycelium colonizing below the 4 inoculation holes on each jar.

Ok so my main concerns are just with this pictures:

MAZ1 2nd inoculation hole:

That orange coloration top left. Actually it looks more orange to the naked eye than in the picture. But it might be the rice bran pressed against the glass. But I'm not sure.

TPB1 4th inoculation hole:

That red spot on the top right. Is that a red vermiculite grain or some kind of contamination?

TPB3 1st inoculation hole:

See that black spot top right on the mycelium? What is it?
I see these black spots on some other TPB jars as well.
Also the mycelium of the TPB jars just looks different kind of cloudy and not homogenous.

Oh and it's not BRF I'm using, its rice bran.

Quote:

Camera93 said:
(...)

that spot on the bottom right looks funny, but I have never make PF cakes and it could just be the brf pressed up against the glass
(...)

That funny looking brown spot it's rice bran pressed against the glass I'm sure because it was like that right after I steam sterilized the jars.
Thank you for the link I bookmarked it.

Oh and one more thing I noticed the mycelium is colonizing the dry vermiculite, serving as barrier, in some jars. Is that ok?
I thought the vermiculite by itself could not be colonized because it is dry and also because it is not nutritious. I mean I read RR sometimes claiming otherwise but so many people were opposing him I thought he could be wrong on this one.

Edited by goatchild (02/06/20 09:21 AM)

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Is this mycelium looking healthy? [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26481401 - 02/12/20 04:08 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

UPDATE 12/02/2020

Guys one of my Thai Pink Buffalo jars is 40% or so colonized and I see what appears to be an hyphal knot. Check it out:

If it is an hyphal knot why now if it's not even fully colonized?
If it isn't what is it then?

By the way my 4 Transkei jars are 90% colonized, the 4 Mazatapec jars are about 75%. None have hyphal knots and mycelium looks just fine.
This particular Thai Pink Buffalo jar has this hyphal knot and all 4 of them have a funny looking mycelium, cloudy in some areas, not homogenous, and some spots seem like crisp white. Also these TPB jars are just 40% colonized. All 12 jars have been produced using the same substrate, same temps same everything. Is it maybe the Thai Pink Buffalo genetics the reason why these 4 jars are underperforming?

--------------------

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Wet jars and weird mycelium? [Re: goatchild]
    #26483883 - 02/13/20 02:54 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

So what appeared to be an hyphal knot maybe wasn't and it was just the mycelium behaving strangely. Here's an updated photo of the jar in question:

This jar is also very wet inside. Look at these pictures:

The other 3 Thai Pink Buffalo jars are also wet inside but not as bad as this jar. The other 4 Mazatapec and 4 Transkei Jars are not wet. I mean I can see very small drops but it's almost unnoticeable.

What do you guys think is causing this problems with TPB jars?
- The weird looking mycelium
- The wet inside glass
- That small blob that appeared to be an hyphal knot but went back to being mycelium.

--------------------

Edited by goatchild (02/13/20 03:05 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #26483892 - 02/13/20 02:58 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Trainskey? Do u mean African Transkei?

Water beading in your jar usually means u put a little too much water into your PF mixture. But really its not a big deal.

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Wet jars and weird mycelium? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #26483904 - 02/13/20 03:04 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Yes Transkei. I misspelled it.

Ok. The thing is I used the same substrate in the other 8 jars of MAZ and TRK. And those are not wet. Also one thing I didn't mention, when I picked these TPB jars today they were a bit more warm than usual. Definitely warmer than the MAZ and TRK jars. Maybe because they got warmer the result is condensation and that is what it is causing the wetness inside the TPB jars? :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #26483911 - 02/13/20 03:07 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah the higher temps will do that too. Sorta like "steaming" the water out of the mixture. But no need to worry, it happens to me wth no issue.

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Wet jars and weird mycelium? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #26483940 - 02/13/20 03:24 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Ok cool.

I'm gonna use this thread as a journal and keep posting updates as they come along.

Thanks man

--------------------

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: goatchild]
    #26485753 - 02/14/20 04:54 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

So as my 12 cakes approach 100% colonization I'm preparing for the next stages. I think I've got the Dunk and Roll part figured out. Doesn't look too complicated.

But after that I'm having some doubts. Regarding the fruitification stage I want to be precise and know exactly what I should be doing.

So I read and read posts from multiple TC's and I've come up with a plan that more or less is in agreement with what they have written on this forum. But there might be some mistakes. So here it goes:

AFTER THE CAKES ARE DUNKED, ROLLED AND PLACED INTO THE SGFC:

1. SGFC should be about 10 cm above the surface of the table using 6 upside down 1/2 pint jars for example.
    The SGFC should not be against any walls in order for air currents to go through it thus increasing FAE.
    Temperature should be between 68F and 72F. Use an oil heater connected to a thermostat in order to maintain this temperature in the room.

2. After dunk and roll wait between 12h and 24h before applying the first mist so that the vermiculite sticks to the cakes properly.

3. Misting should be done like so:
    Use the spray bottle about 30cm from above the cakes. The water droplets should be as thin as possible. Mist the cakes directly until they glisten with moisture. Also mist the perlite so it can maintain it's humidity capabilities. Always try to avoid misting the walls of the SGFC.
    After misting use the lid to fan the terrarium for about 30 seconds in order to remove excess CO2 and also to allow the water on the cakes to begin evaporation which is a major pinning trigger.

4. Always check in the morning before work, late afternoon and before bed if the cakes are hydrated and glistening with moisture. If not apply misting as described in step 3 until they do.

5. A 6500K light fluorescent bulb is placed 50 cm above the SGFC. It should be turned on in the morning before work and turned off after coming home. Thus a 12h +- light cycle is applied.

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until first signs of fruiting are visible: hyphal knots. At this point the amount of water when misting must be reduced to just enough to keep a healthy level of humidity inside the SGFC, not below 90%.

7. After the hyphal knots have become pins +- 1cm long introduce water into the foil dishes where the cakes are placed on. This is explained in the Bottom Watering TEK by CBK.

8. At this stage increase the amount of water when misting. Be careful not to let the pins become too wet. After misting fanning is required in order for amount of water on the mushrooms to evaporate. It also is possible to not close the SGFC with the lid for 1 hour or so in order to promote increased FAE.

9. Step 8 should be repeated about 3 times or whenever possible / necessary every day. Start harvesting as soon as the mushrooms start to break the veil.

So where are the mistakes and what can be improved here?

--------------------

Edited by goatchild (02/14/20 05:07 PM)

OfflineCandy1213
Stranger
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: goatchild]
    #26486165 - 02/14/20 09:35 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

I’m a newb as well but it doesn’t seem to me that you have any mistakes. I’m on my first grow and have my cakes in my chamber. Got hella pins going. Just make sure you let your cakes consolidate for about a week. I actually didn’t even let mine sit that long because I started getting invitro pins so I figured they were ready. They are all doing great. I think the best advice I’ve gotten from reading on here is to keep it simple. Don’t overthink things. Follow the tek, be sterile, and the shrooms basically do what they do. Oh, and be patient...which I am not lol

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: Candy1213]
    #26486547 - 02/15/20 05:47 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks man. Show us some photos!
:smile:

Some days I am patient others not.

I wish my cakes were pinning by now hehe.

--------------------

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

Loc: Westworld
    #26487113 - 02/15/20 01:44 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Looking good! Crazy amount of pics.

From my experience, people seem to overcomplicate PF Tek.

I've never had an issue or a contam and my process was simple as it focused on the most important part of the process, proper sterilization and sterile work when inoculating.

Now there is always a risk when going MS syringe to substrate but I haven't had any issues with sponsored vendors here (or more specifically one vendor here as I only used one).

I've done more cakes than I can count. Let me try and save you the aggravation (because I wish I did this instead of fiddling around with cakes in my sgfc). Shred your cakes to a "shoebox"/ plastic container and mix it with prepped coir. Bigger yield, less maintenance, and no need for the dreaded SGFC and perlite.

Otherwise, the only comments I have on your method are

1) Don't go modifying your mix until you have some experience. I see you modified the standard PF mix of just BRF and verm. It isn't just that it is simple, it is that it works. I'd stick to tried and true methods.

2) A properly built SGFC should not require fanning. If you need to fan, you probably over misted. Starting out I drenched my cakes (bad idea) because I was watching them and constantly thinking they were dry. Once I dialed it in, I never fanned and had better results.

Good luck man you're doing great. And put your cakes to bulk if you can! :cheers:

--------------------

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26516156 - 03/04/20 09:17 AM (4 years, 24 days ago)

UPDATE 04/03/2020

All 12 jars are now 100% colonized. Thai Pink Buffalo and Transkei jars finished colonization about a week ago and Mazatapec finished 2 days ago.

I hope to birth the cakes on the 14th of March.

So I was surprised the TPB jars recovered and finished first than Mazatapec. Also TPB jars mycelium is looking good despite all my doubts I had before as you can read on my first posts.´

But now I'm having some doubts about what's going on with my Transkei jars. There's some weird growth on 3 jars. Might be mold or mycelium behaving weird I don't know. Here's some pictures:

This is TRK2 jar. I noticed that spot starting to grow about a month ago or more but I didn't payed too much attention because it seemed to me like what happens for example in the center of an agar petri dish. But now it's big and a bit yellowish. What do you think it is?

I think the same is happening bellow TRK3 jar. Can you see that growth? Looks less scary than the one on TRK2 but even so that's how that spot started on TRK2. What is it?

This jar, and with some of the other TRK jars, bellow the inoculation hole the mycelium got thicker and fluffy looking. With this jar right at the center of the fluffy mycelium I can see some growth similar to how that spot on TRK2 started. What is it?

--------------------

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

#26523866 - 03/08/20 12:25 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

shrump

--------------------

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26523870 - 03/08/20 12:28 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

So what was it? Looks like matting to me. Seen it before when the cake is shrinking inside the jar post colonization it will bridge out to the glass.

Edited by Sockadin (03/08/20 12:29 PM)

OfflineMagic Mushpoon
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: Sockadin]
    #26523968 - 03/08/20 01:43 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

Have you build a SGCF yet? If not, you might want to consider another design like the humidity chamber

--------------------
:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: Magic Mushpoon]
    #26523987 - 03/08/20 01:55 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Magic Mushpoon said:
Have you build a SGCF yet? If not, you might want to consider another design like the humidity chamber

Lets the the new Cultivators try an experimental  fruiting chamber with no real results other than Meteah.  Why not bring back the pmp and the mist shield.

Edited by Sockadin (03/08/20 01:56 PM)

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: Sockadin]
    #26524003 - 03/08/20 02:04 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Sockadin said:
So what was it? Looks like matting to me. Seen it before when the cake is shrinking inside the jar post colonization it will bridge out to the glass.

I don't know what it is. I was hoping you guys could tell me.

It looks like mycelium getting stuck to the glass. But There's some light yellow coloration. Looks like new mycelium growth on top on normal mycelium.

I'm just not sure if it's some mold or not.

This cakes will be birthed around the 14th March.

My SGFC is already built. I considered trying the humidity chamber but after careful consideration I think the SGFC has more results to show.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #26524091 - 03/08/20 03:06 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

That white blob kinda looks like a mutant. :shrug:

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26524172 - 03/08/20 03:49 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

goatchild said:
Quote:

Sockadin said:

I don't know what it is. I was hoping you guys could tell me.

It looks like mycelium getting stuck to the glass. But There's some light yellow coloration. Looks like new mycelium growth on top on normal mycelium.

I'm just not sure if it's some mold or not.

This cakes will be birthed around the 14th March.

My SGFC is already built. I considered trying the humidity chamber but after careful consideration I think the SGFC has more results to show.

Why are we waiting to birth? Those jars are ready. Dunk and roll!

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: Sockadin] * 1
    #26524212 - 03/08/20 04:19 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

We're supposed to wait a week for consolidation. From what I understood from reading RRs posts, the mycelium during this period will be digesting the substrate. He said that even if you birth the cakes right after the cakes are 100% colonized they will still take about a week to start fruiting. So we might as well let the cakes consolidate inside the jars, it's safer.

Some people also reported that allowing for longer periods of consolidation increases the mushrooms potency. So I'm waiting 2 weeks for consolidation.

--------------------

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26524292 - 03/08/20 05:10 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

They are ready. The week of consolidation is to help separate the impatient people from the people that birth and then in 3 days are like  why no shrooms?

I would birth those, Mycelium can move at different speeds and I'm pretty sure they are fixing to start pinning.

Any TC's want to chime in on this one?

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

#26524376 - 03/08/20 06:14 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

Well worst thing that can happen is the cakes starting to pin inside the jar. In that case I'd birth them ASAP.

--------------------

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Mold or mycelium? [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26534616 - 03/14/20 11:45 AM (4 years, 14 days ago)

UPDATE 14/03/2020

So I just finished birthing my 12 cakes.

Things look different after birthing cause there's no glass between my eyes and the mycelium now. I'd like you guys to take a look at some pictures and tell me what you think.

What do you guys think that brown spot is? An attempt to fruit a mushroom? Some kind of mutant? Or contamination?

This one was is the TRK2 jar. The same one I showed you before where a strange growth could be seen. Now after birthing I think it might be a mutant. What does it look like to you?

TRK (Transkei) jars all have a thick mycelium. This one as you can see expanded to the glass and looks weird. Is this normal? Mazatapec and Thai Pink Buffalo jars didn't do this.

Some jars had this white fluffy stuff on the vermiculite barrier. You think it is the Mycelium or some mold?

--------------------

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Mold or mycelium? [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26534623 - 03/14/20 11:46 AM (4 years, 14 days ago)

Myc on the verm.

Idk those lumps are strange, kinda looks like PE blobs.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Mold or mycelium? [Re: goatchild]
    #26534668 - 03/14/20 12:08 PM (4 years, 14 days ago)

Looking healthy!

Ive had African Transkei blob on me. Its not common but it has happened to me. Its nothing to concerning, just wait till it grows out.

The expanding mycelium into the dry verm is totally normal. Not to worry :thumbup:

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: SGFC + cakes [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26536573 - 03/15/20 12:24 PM (4 years, 13 days ago)

UPDATE 15/03/2020

I already had my SGFC ready.
Tried my best to follow this SGFC Tek by SpitballJedi:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20195542#20195542

Here's some pictures:

Used a marker to distribute the points where I drilled the holes 5cm apart.
I didn't have a proper drill and couldn't bother to go buy one cause I was anxious to finish the SGFC and convinced myself it wouldn't make much difference. So the holes are about 4mm wide. Will this be a problem? Here's some pics:

While drilling I think I might have pressed too hard so some holes have cracks. Don't think this will make a difference.

About the dunk I let the cakes under water for 26h30m +- cause I had some stuff to solve.
This extra 2h30m dunk is a problem?

Anyway here's how it's looking now:

I've got a digital hygrometer that also measures temperature. It uses an external probe so I don't think it will get damaged from the moisture. The digital screen is outside the SGFC.
I placed the cakes on the SGFC about 3h ago. As of right now the hygrometer marks 99% humidity and 21.9 Cº. I haven't turned on the 6500K bulb yet because since I didn't mist the cakes it could dry the cakes. I'll wait a few hours before misting so the vermiculite sticks to the cakes better.

While I was placing the cakes I distributed the cakes like this:
Left column Transkei, Middle column Thai Pink Buffalo, right column Mazatapec.
But then I took the SGFC to my room and I lost track of the position of the SGFC. So now I know the middle column is Thai Pink Buffalo but the side columns I'm not sure what they are. I'll do some research watching pics. I hope I can easily tell the difference between Mazatapec and Transkei.

So here's my questions for you guys:
- 4mm holes on SGFC not ideal but ok?
- Cracks on the holes will spread and get worse?
- Extra 2h30m dunk damaged the mycelium in any way?
- In your experience will I be able to recognise the difference between Transkei and Mazatapec visually?

Cheers

EDIT:
By the way I want to say thank you to the guys that keep replying to this thread and my posts. It helps.

--------------------

Edited by goatchild (03/15/20 04:20 PM)

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Possible contams? Help! (pics) [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26551134 - 03/22/20 02:53 PM (4 years, 6 days ago)

UPDATE 22/03/2020

Well this is upsetting. Looks like my PF Tek project (1st grow) is going south...
The cakes have been in the SGFC for 7 days now. No Hyphal Knots so far.
I've been following the standard routine: misting, fanning, 6500k light on during day time etc.

Here's some pics and descriptions of what seems to be happening to the cakes:

This pic was taken 2 or 3 days after I placed the cakes into the SGFC.

This pic was taken today, 7 days after cakes were place into the SGFC.
As you can see the mycelium is colonizing the verm around. But when I look close I'm not even sure if it is mycelium. Here's some more pics:

What do you guys think that white stuff is? Mycelium going hungry and colonizing the verm? Or some kind of contamination?
IF it is contamination can I use a sharp knife and cut those overgrown white stuff?

I took the cakes out of the foil plates to see whats going on below the cakes. Here's what I found:

Most cakes have this wispy or cottony stuff below. Is it mold? Cobweb?

2 cakes have this gelatinous goo below. And I believe 2 other cakes might be starting to grow of this gelatinous goo as well. I sniffed this stuff and it doesn't smell like anything weird. It smells like mushroom. What is this? Bacteria? Should I use a sharp knife and cut a slice on the bottom of this cakes to get rid of this goo?

This 2 cakes have little green/blue spots. I believe this might be green mold known as trich... Am I right? Or might it be bruising because I was grabbing them to check below? If it is green mold what can be done?

So overall I don't have many cakes that look ok. Either there are green spots, or that white stuff taking over, or the gelatinous goo bellow. Well maybe 1 or 2 cakes are good but... I'm afraid if all this stuff I showed you are contamination it might spread to the few healthy cakes.

Need advice. Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Possible contams? Help! (pics) [Re: goatchild]
    #26551150 - 03/22/20 02:59 PM (4 years, 6 days ago)

It’s myc, and the cakes aren’t bruised so that’s good.

It’ll happen just give it time.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Possible contams? Help! (pics) [Re: A.k.a]
    #26551157 - 03/22/20 03:02 PM (4 years, 6 days ago)

Thanks. But what about that gelatinous goo below my 2 cakes? Just leave it?

--------------------

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Possible contams? Help! (pics) [Re: goatchild]
    #26551184 - 03/22/20 03:13 PM (4 years, 6 days ago)

I didn’t see that before, weird. Prob bacteria making it but shouldn’t be a big deal.

The little spots on the other ones look like slight bruises.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: Possible contams? Help! (pics) [Re: A.k.a]
    #26551639 - 03/22/20 07:33 PM (4 years, 6 days ago)

On the goo. Change the foil base. Don't roll it up into a cup for those cakes with the bacteria. Just wipe the bottom of the cake with some paper towel to knock off the colony. Put them on a flat piece of foil and hope for the best. Should make it through a flush or two.

The next 5 days are going to be fun. But don't touch the cakes. When they start to fruit they are going to create a climate between each cake and Everytime you move one you are disturbing that. SGFC can really be set and forget. It doesn't need all the misting and fanning people say it does.

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

12 days after birth: First pins!! Below the cakes... [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26561576 - 03/27/20 04:58 PM (4 years, 1 day ago)

UPDATE 27/03/2020

So finally I'm seeing some results! Felt good when yesterday I spotted this first pin growing from a Transkei cake:

Problem is the pin is at the bottom of the cake. When the next day I decided to take a better look at what is going on in the bottom of the cakes I noticed the same cake had more pins coming up from below, between the cake and the foil, and one other Transkei cake as well. Here's 2 pics from the bottom of the 2 cakes:

One of these cakes has 1 pin on top. But 95% of pins and Hyphal Knots are below the cakes.

This next 2 pics are from one Mazatapec cake that is also pinning from below:

Now thinking about this got me confused because I've read again and again that FAE is king, and that evaporation of water from the surface of mycelium caused by FAE is the number 2 major pinning trigger right after full colonization.

But below the cakes between mycelium and foil there is no FAE, no light and lots of humidity right? So why did the cakes decided to pin below?

I've been following a routine that includes letting the cakes dry a bit then misting them until the verm on top is glistening with moisture, then I fan the cakes a bit then I leave the lid open a few hours then close the lids. 8h later the cakes will need misting and I repeat again the misting, fanning, lid open etc etc. I'm now leaving 2 6500k lights on during daytime, for 8h +-.
What am I doing wrong that causes the pins showing up from below the cakes?

This reminds me of some posts I read here of people complaining that their monotub substrate is pinning from the sides. I guess in that case the sides of a monotub have similar conditions to the conditions below a PF cake right? Why is it that in this cases pins prefer to show up where there is little FAE, little light and lots of RH?

Here's some pictures of my setup and cakes:

Left column are Transkei Cakes.
Middle column are Thai Pink Buffalo.
Right column Mazatapec .

So about the Thai Pink Buffalo cakes: these cakes are doing nothing. I see no pins, they feel a little bit soft when I grab them, compared to Transkei which feel really hard and heavy. Also the Mycelium of Thai Pink Buffalo cakes have not colonized much of the verm. Could it be weak genetics?

So what do you guys think about this bottom pinning paradox. Any suggestions?

Quote:

Sockadin said:

Thanks for the reply Shockadin.

I guess I've been messing up with the cakes a bit cause I wanted to see up close what was happening below the cakes and because of that gelatinous goo below some of them. I will follow your advice and replace the foils from those cakes and wipe them below.

Sure was fun and nice when I saw that first pin!

--------------------

Edited by goatchild (03/27/20 05:04 PM)

InvisibleMateja
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Here
    #26561660 - 03/27/20 05:36 PM (4 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Sockadin said:
Quote:

Magic Mushpoon said:

Lets the the new Cultivators try an experimental  fruiting chamber with no real results other than Meteah.  Why not bring back the pmp and the mist shield.

Oh boy Sockadin have you been eating your words the past 48h or what? , just look at the newest posts in the Humidity Chamber thread and I hope you stop spreading your unbelievable misinformation that's damaging to this community...

And I urge anyone to check out what Sockadin has been writing in THE Humidity Chamber thread and how misinformed he is about 100% of the things he writes. :thumbup:

Edited by Mateja (03/27/20 05:43 PM)

Offline6 Speed
Stranger
Re: 1st grow PF Tek: My fruiting strategy: light, FAE, misting and fanning etc. [Re: Mateja]
    #26561686 - 03/27/20 05:49 PM (4 years, 1 day ago)

Delete. Answered my own question from a pic.

Edited by 6 Speed (03/27/20 05:50 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 12 days after birth: First pins!! Below the cakes... [Re: goatchild]
    #26561698 - 03/27/20 05:53 PM (4 years, 1 day ago)

Looks like your overmisting, hence the bacteria on the bottom. Easy up on the misting. U want your cakes moist not soaked.

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 12 days after birth: First pins!! Below the cakes... [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26561733 - 03/27/20 06:06 PM (4 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Looks like your overmisting, hence the bacteria on the bottom. Easy up on the misting. U want your cakes moist not soaked.

Ok. What about the bottom pinning? That bottom pinning made me think I wasn't misting enough or maintaining a high enough RH. I just misted like crazy now just before I read your reply lol.

I will fan like crazy now.

--------------------

Edited by goatchild (03/27/20 06:06 PM)

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Are these Mazatapec pins aborts? [Re: goatchild]
    #26565696 - 03/29/20 04:54 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

UPDATE 29/03/2020

SHORT VERSION:

Thai Pink Buffalo cakes: not doing anything.
Mazatapec cakes: only 2 pinning from bottom what appear to be aborts. What to do?
Other 2 MAzatapec cakes remain eventless.
Transkei cakes: 3 cakes pinning strong on the bottom. All 4 cakes are pinning ok on top.

Reason for pinning on bottom: overmisting. Read long version for explanation of my theory.

Thoughts?

LONG VERSION:

2 Mazatapec cakes started pinning on the bottom of the cake as well.

Here's some pics from the bottom of 1 of those MAZ cakes:

These pins look weird. The cap is grey brown doesn't feel lively. Are these aborts? Mutants? Should I remove them from the cake?

Here's an update on the Transkei cakes. They started to pin on top! So that makes me happy. Also more pins are showing at the bottom as well. Check the pics:

Top of the cakes:

On the bottom of these Transkei cakes there are more pins:

So regarding the bottom pinning:

After searching for other posts mentioning this same problem, and reading some RRs posts about bottom pinning, I decided to leave this bottom pinning just happen. I won't remove this pins or flip the cakes since flipping could cause these to abort. Also if they pinned down there then they should know better than me where to pin.

I think that the cakes are more happy to pin on the bottom because, I think after reading tons of threads and posts, that the cakes will always pin where there is more moisture and humidity. That's why for example when people are using monotubs sometimes if they're not using liners, the substrate can start pinning on the sides. But my problem wasn't lack of misting and dry cakes, it was the opposite: I misted too much.
I am using a pressure sprayer:

This sprayer sprays a very fine mist but constantly and with with a wide angle. Maybe this contributed to over misting. Also I took too seriously the "mist until the verm glistens with moisture" advice. That bacterial gelatinous goo on the bottom of at least 2 cakes is proof that I may have overmisted. To this add the fact that I am using the CBK's bottom watering TEK which requires foil plates. After misting a lot, water accumulates on the bottom. Because this are foil plates, the side barrier of these plates maybe prevents FAE to get to the bottom of the cakes and little to no evaporation takes place.

So concluding the bottom of the cakes have more moisture/saturation so the cakes pinned there in more numbers. Next time I will use standard flat foil bases for the cakes and use the foil plates only when I have 1cm pins ready for CBK's bottom watering TEK. I will also mist less because this pressure sprayer is powerful.

Other than that I think I have been doing a good job with my misting, fanning, FAE routine. I mist the cakes, fan with the lid for 30 secs, then I'll wait until the cakes dry a bit, or humidity drops to 92%+-, then I mist again. FAE is happening. I think next pic shows that. Around the holes of the SGFC there is no condensation so ar is coming in:

If you guys have anything to add to this, advice, criticism etc you are welcome.

--------------------

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: Are these Mazatapec pins aborts? [Re: goatchild]
    #26567429 - 03/30/20 02:14 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

burp

--------------------

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

My 1st harvest ever: tiny mushrooms (pics) [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26582444 - 04/06/20 06:48 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

UPDATE 07/04/2020

Guys I've got 12 cakes going. Up until now only 4 cakes have fruited successfully (Transkei). The first pins started forming on the 27th March. Yesterday the mushrooms on these 4 cakes that have been growing for 10 days started to open their caps so I had to harvest these. Problem is the fruits of these 4 cakes were too small as you will see.

After searching the forum it seems most of the times the cause of getting small fruits is lack of moisture/misting etc. But I'm pretty sure I misted enough. In fact I suspect I might have overdone the misting and maybe that might have contributed to the size of the mushrooms to be so small. Why I believe I over misted? Because the cakes seemed heavy. Specially the Transkei cakes (maybe because of the fruits yes). But if you read my other updates some cakes were growing the gelatinous goo on bottom. Someone hinted that this might be because of overmisting. I am also using a pressure pump for misting. And if I am not careful the cakes get super wet because the pump sprays a lot of water with a wide angle.

Also as you can see in the pics below this cakes had lots of pins on the bottom of the cakes. Maybe when cakes produce this much pins the mushrooms will grow small because there's not enough resources for the mushrooms to grow bigger? What do you think?

Some pics:

What about the other 8 cakes? What do you think might be causing the absence of mushrooms? 4 cakes are Thai Pink Buffalo the other 4 are Mazatapec.
The Mazatapec cakes actually produced some pins on the bottom 2 weeks or so ago. But these few pins stalled so then I decided after a week to dunk these 8 cakes for 12h. After the dunk the pins forming bellow the Mazatapec cakes came out of the water with their caps black. So I figured these pins died so I removed these, then placed the cakes back into the SGFC. So they've been in the SGFC for a week now after the 2nd dunk and no pins. What do you think might be the problem?

4 days ago when I realized I was maybe over misting I decided to not mist for 2 days. I now only do 2 misting sessions a day with light misting then a bit of fanning, then leave the lid open for a couple of hours. I mist when I notice the cakes start to dry. RH is at 99%. The cakes get 12h of light using 2 6500K light bulbs with 2452 lux each. One lamp on the top the other on the side. Perlite is about 10 cm deep. SGFC is built almost to the T. Except the holes I think I should have made them a bit wider, they're only 4mm. Couldn't bother to go buy the right drill at the time. Now I regret.

The weight results of my first harvest were 131g fresh, when properly dried (cracker dried) turned into 8.25g. These are now stored in a glass jar with gel silica to absorb any leftover moisture.

I know I have a very long way to go until I am satisfied with my cultivation skills of course. That is why I need some feedback regarding the problems I'm facing. Thank you.

--------------------

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My 1st harvest ever: tiny mushrooms (pics) [Re: goatchild]
    #26583531 - 04/07/20 09:23 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Definitely could be too wet. Those dark stripes on the stems are usually from too much water.

Why did you pick off so many pins????

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: My 1st harvest ever: tiny mushrooms (pics) [Re: A.k.a]
    #26583745 - 04/07/20 11:02 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I picked all those pins because I thought those pins would also grow short. I felt like starting over. So you think if I left those pins untouched and just reduced the misting all those pins could have grown into bigger mushrooms?

You think the overmisting might also be causing the other 8 cakes not to fruit?

--------------------

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26583897 - 04/07/20 12:15 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I’ve never really done cakes so idk about maintaining them, but those pins definitely would’ve gotten bigger.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: goatchild] * 1
    #26597710 - 04/13/20 10:59 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

UPDATE 13/04/2020

Just a pic of the 2nd flush of Transkei cakes:

Not much to show but I feel happy for these.

Thai Pink Buffalo cakes I guess they died. The mushroom smell was gone and changed to what seemed an acidic smell. The cakes felt squishy when I grabbed them. Alseo they turned yellow and some areas were orange even. So I tossed those.

Mazatapec cakes look ok. No yellow, no bruising, not squishy. But the few pins it produces seem like mutants and then always turn into aborts and then I guess the mycelium reclaims them back. I'll just keep these cakes in the SGFC until they go bad. Maybe eventually they will decide someday to produce proper fruits. Here's a pic of a few of those mutant / aborts:

--------------------

InvisibleRhizomorph
Psychedelic Researcher
Other

Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: goatchild]
    #26780274 - 06/24/20 07:43 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I too took the "mist until glistening with moisture" advice too seriously on my first grow that I just completed. Was wondering why my bottom pins looked so funny and then realized they had a layer of white goop covering them from bacteria collecting in the water at the base...  :shake:

I guess its just a matter of learning. Still got a decent 18 grams dry off off 2 cakes though  :shrug:

Good job on your first grow!

--------------------

:cookiemonster: Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: Why 'Psychedelic People' and the Psychedelic Movement Sucks:elmo:

:awesomenod: Easiest No-Pour Agar Method: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers:awesomenod:

InvisibleMateja

Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: Rhizomorph]
    #26780581 - 06/24/20 10:20 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Rhizomorph said:
Still got a decent 18 grams dry off off 2 cakes though  :shrug:

Is that yield calculated across multiple flushes per cake or just the first flush?
You don't happen to have pics of those cakes? I can't seem to produce more than 5g dried per cake/flush and even then it's one heck of a flush to produce 90-100g fresh per cake.

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: goatchild]
    #26780675 - 06/24/20 10:54 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Cool pics man :popcorn:

InvisibleRhizomorph
Psychedelic Researcher
Other

Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: Mateja]
    #26782237 - 06/25/20 02:15 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

My bad I made a typo - I got 18 dry from 4 cakes total throughout multiple flushes. I was looking at my FC while writing my last comment and theres only 2 cakes left in it so my brain filled in the comment with the number 2 instead of 4.

Sorry about that - also I don't have any pictures asides from while they were pinning. The picture in my sig is from the second flush of one of the cakes though  :laugh:

--------------------

:cookiemonster: Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: Why 'Psychedelic People' and the Psychedelic Movement Sucks:elmo:

:awesomenod: Easiest No-Pour Agar Method: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers:awesomenod:

OfflineLu-Kthu
Stranger
Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: Mateja]
    #26793555 - 06/30/20 12:45 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Prolly due to your trash knowledge on the matter. Have fun.

InvisibleMateja

Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: Lu-Kthu]
    #26794303 - 06/30/20 11:05 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

:sammy:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

InvisibleRhizomorph
Psychedelic Researcher
Other

Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: Lu-Kthu]
    #26800110 - 07/02/20 07:03 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I be smellin some insecurity...

--------------------

OfflineCegda
Mentat
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st harvest: tiny mushrooms. Why? (pics) [Re: Rhizomorph]
    #26810949 - 07/08/20 12:46 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I'm still waiting on my first harvest, so you're ahead of me, but I decided I didn't like cakes after my first 2 turned green and made a shoebox with 3 of my other cake jars.

They're mazatapec and pinning right now, and the pins look nothing like the ones I see on your cakes. I can't say why, but here's a pic if you want to see how they look..

This is 12 days since I grated the cakes into cvg.

--------------------
“What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?”

-Orange Catholic Bible,
    -from Frank Herbert's Dune

OfflineRingsofearth
Stranger
    #27484779 - 09/28/21 06:56 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Nice job on having something to harvest.

In the past year I’ve tried three times but my first two attempts never grew so I threw them out.

I spent over a week waiting fro mycelium and I gave up hope and threw them out.

Now out of 12. Of cakes I have 5 ready to fruit and 4 that are way behind. But I moved the. Out and placed them under the sink.

Then all of the sudden the mycelium growth speeded up.

I was surprised I thought they would have died becasue they weren’t incubating.

Now out of my 5 cakes I got one suspected pin which I’m worried I might of aborted becasue I had to move the whole of cake to find it.

Duh...

But I’m at 100% humidity and 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

On accident I threw out my perlite and used a black garbage bag inside with water behind the liner.
And the humidity is way high.
I got worried at first but I read mushrooms grow well in high humidity.

I just get worried about the water that gathers on the bottom of the lid dripping off onto the of cakes and causing aborts.

But do to a lack of perlite I can’t take the bag out and mitigate.

So I’m stuck with a rain jungle.

It’s cool I guess.
Just getting stressed becasue aborts are also illegal in some states.

I don’t believe in aborts.

And if aborts believed in themselves maybe they could grow to mature mushrooms that are fun to throw away becasue I got the kind that are cool to look at

OfflineRingsofearth
Stranger
Re: My 1st harvest ever: tiny mushrooms (pics) [Re: Ringsofearth]
    #27484781 - 09/28/21 06:58 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

The last part sounded mean about throwing mushrooms away.

I was just saying they were fun to look at and throw away.

And made a stupid joke.

Not what I meant

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules