Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Agar, Malt Extract, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecamalot
Stranger
 User Gallery
Petri dish sectoring or not?
    #26469908 - 02/05/20 10:58 AM (1 year, 22 days ago)

Hi everyone,

This is my first attempt to grow out mycelium on agar. I have used the "cloning technique".

Now, after 9 days of them "growing" on MEA agar in the dark between 24-27°C, I wonder what to do...

Shown in the photos are two dishes with lion's mane (LM1 en LM2) and two dishes with yellow oyster (YO1 en YO2). Both are cloned. The original mushroom were freshly bought from a local seller.

1/ So I wonder in general if it is needed to select a strain/isolate sectors when mycelium is grown out from a clone? As one should have 'a copy' of the original mushroom which is identical to its source? I read that people are doing this heavy isolating when growing form spores due to not having a monoculture. While cloning should result in a monoculture?

Questions related to the photos:

2/ For all dishes: is it needed to transfer any to another petri dish? Or can I directly inoculate with this?

3/ LM1 and LM2: for the lion's mane: LM2 started of as a 'blob' of almost silicon looking something (inner curly blue line on the photo). Since a few days it starts to show 'threads' (outer curly blue line on the photo). Is this normal? Does it mean that I should transfer it more until it grows directly in a more thready shape? Since today LM1 is also showing this behaviour.

4/ YO1 and YO2: for the yellow oysters: do they need a transfer? None of them look really uniform grown out. So am I correct that I can cut the most outer part and transfer? For example for YO1 the left clone, the sector between 12 and 1 o'clock? Soon they will start to "touch" each other ( as I did put 3 in a dish).

Thank you so much for all your help in advance! I am learning ;-)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineForresterM
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Petri dish sectoring or not? [Re: camalot]
    #26469958 - 02/05/20 11:38 AM (1 year, 21 days ago)

1. no, clone is good as is.  No need to isolate anything other than isolating the culture from the contams.

2/3. I would transfer more on all of them.  I don't know what that blobby crap is but it's not hericium, that thin wispy stuff coming out from that probably is.  Get it out of there onto another dish until it's clean. 

4. The oyster is probably fine but I'd take one transfer to make sure.  This isn't from spore so it doesn't matter where you take the myc. from just as far from anything that looks like contamination as you can.

Nice job on the clear pics with labels, it makes it a lot easier to help you :thumbup:

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Agar, Malt Extract, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms