Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Parafilm, Petri Dish, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJackStaw70
learning
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nor Cal.
Having trouble with my Monotub grow
    #26467635 - 02/03/20 11:50 PM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Hi everyone I need some help and I've been continuing having a problem and I've tried to resolve it on my own or by doing research online I just keep running into problems getting a full flush of healthy mushrooms for a while so my problem this time is I started seeing pins about 10 days ago put it into fruiting conditions and now I'm seeing is underdeveloped strangely formed pins. So I bucket pasteurized 700g of Coco choir with 5 quarts of boiling water with 2 quarts of vermiculite mix for my substrate I spawned that mixing an 8-quart substrate mixture to 6 quarts of spawn from wild bird seed . I laid that tub on the 17th of December  on the 29th of December  so about 10 to 15  half-inch pins had developed  so I put into fruiting conditions so a week after putting it into fruiting conditions  have not seen much developing  and what I have seen developing  have turned into weird shaped  little attempts  at mushrooms  does anybody have any idea what's going on  what I could have done  and what I can keep this from happening in the future when I first started this hobby a year-and-a-half ago  I had amazing results  with my first couple of flushes  and I was so happy and proud of myself when I post my results  and people were giving me kudos  on my job  well done  somebody made the statement  you did a great job now the trick is to stay consistent ! wow !! I did not realize how truthful those words were  but now struggling to try and get those original results  I have gone back to square one and tried to text from the very beginning  and I still keep having problems  the only thing that I can think of that's different from when I originally tried this to now as I originally did my first results with spores from the syringe from a reputable dealer  I've been experimenting with liquid cultures again and again and again from my Spore syringes  and just never seem to have the results  that I had before with just spores straight from the lab compared to the results that I have gotten  ever since trying to work with liquid cultures if you have any information that can help me I would greatly appreciate it I appreciate your time no matter how many problems I have I have fallen in love with this Hobby determined to be a Master mixologistFormula: 0

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNichromeS
Decomposition Artist

Loc: Zone 5
Re: Having trouble with my Monotub grow [Re: JackStaw70]
    #26467794 - 02/04/20 02:47 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

It's always a crapshoot trying to use spores for LC. I't looks like your tub is contaminated. If you want to use LC which is a great plan it is best to start spores on agar first to select clean healthy mycelium for your LC.

Over heating your bulk sub is just as bad as not heating it enough. Often times pouring boiling water over dry materials in a bucket situation will heat the material past the prime pasteurization temp. Get a candy thermometer and get all kinds of nit picky about monitoring that temp to keep it in that sweet spot.

Spore prints can never be "sterile" and almost always contain other organisms that were present in the fruiting area regardless of the "lab" they came from (sponsors are usually as good as they get). The only way to be sure to have clean mycelium is to run it out on agar. There are lots of low tek (IME the standard way is easiest, plates and parafilm) agar methods that can be pulled off easily and with minimal prep/cost/tools.

Best of luck with this. Worst case scenario you learn something and waste a little time.:super:

--------------------
Pheno Hunters
Species
Feel Free To Spread The Playa

OfflineWeavieWonder
Kraut Muncher
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Having trouble with my Monotub grow [Re: Nichrome]
    #26467809 - 02/04/20 03:23 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Before something like LC becomes useful instead of detramental to a project, you must first spend some time with our friend agar. Agar is the middleman between spores and any nutritious medium.

More often than not, spores have an unwanted entourage of bacteria, molds or yeast in their company. It is agar's job to help you shed these contaminants from your mushroom culture, so it can thrive.

If you chose not to hang out with agar, then you will fail more than you succeed in the long run. Don't cut out the middleman. You need him.

I learned agar work because I grew tired of my projects getting fucked up all the time. Its not the easiest thing to learn, but I'm glad I did. Cultivating is A LOT more fun when things go the way they are supposed to. Thanks agar!

OfflineJackStaw70
learning
Male User Gallery

Re: Having trouble with my Monotub grow [Re: Nichrome]
    #26467826 - 02/04/20 04:01 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Thank you so much Nichrome I can't thank you  enough .I have been struggling with this for a couple months now. I knew I was having a contaminant problem my jars of wild bird seed spawn where nice and white but and even after shaking them they come back and I'd even smell it before putting it with the substrate noticed no sour or sweet smell. but I'm still having this problem and it's only come in when I started doing my liquid cultures I have tried agar once so I have all the supplies I have the agar powder and the light dried malt extract I tried once I don't know if I tried the wrong Tek but I had moisture I got puddles slightly on the top of the agar agar do you happen to know a better tech for pasteurizing the Coco choir or at least the right temperature the pasteurization for the Coco choir. also heard that cloning can also be done with a cardboard technique is that a good idea for learning or should I just really work on process of learning to agar the right way?
which I want to do either way don't get me wrong . but I'm just trying to get a good clean mycelium specimen as soon as possible. And once again I can't thank you enough for your help on this I really feel that resolving these two situations will get me really back on track I felt so close for the longest time like I said I've been getting jars of bird seed that are fully white that I shake and then come back and everything I spawned them to my monotub with my substrate those are nice and white across the top looks colonised Within 7 to 10 days and it's a crapshoot if I'm going to get any pins at all if I'm going to get some or there going to be a little pieces of crap like that and it's been going like that for two or three months now it's been so frustrating so I really think resolving these two issues is going to really help so I can't thank you enough. I plan on using the Spore syringes that I have now instead of trying to make more liquid culture just to inoculate the jars of wild bird seed for now to at least get me back on track and have to learn agar.

OfflineJackStaw70
learning
Male User Gallery

#26467842 - 02/04/20 04:24 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Thank you so much WeavieWonder duly noted any recommended teks I have agar powder and dried malt extract light already on hand if my first attempt I used the wide half pint jars as my Petri dishes I saw a tech that use those and I thought that was a good idea and I figured you can't have too many mason jars in this Hobby. And what about pre-made Petri dishes for right now and just so that I can get the cloning process down and get a healthy specimen what is your opinion on pre-made agar Petri dishes for now? Anyway in closing I appreciate your time I can't wait to get full flushes again I miss them so much thank you all good take the time to respond to me

OfflineWeavieWonder
Kraut Muncher
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #26467864 - 02/04/20 05:25 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Check out c10's agar guide link in my sig. Good place to start. Premade petris are stupid expensive. You can make your own easily, and for a fraction of the cost.

InvisibleNichromeS
Decomposition Artist

Loc: Zone 5
Re: Having trouble with my Monotub grow [Re: WeavieWonder]
    #26468423 - 02/04/20 02:19 PM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Spores strait to grains is just as much of a crap shoot as putting spores in LC. I would really recommend using agar first.

If spores and grain is all you have it is advisable IMO to use smaller jars like pints or half pints for your grain so they colonize faster giving you the edge over contaminates (this is why BRF cakes work with spores). They are still in there but with spores to grain it is a race for sure. It is doable but not great.

Definitely get into agar. It's really not any harder or more complicated than anything you're already doing.

--------------------
Pheno Hunters
Species
Feel Free To Spread The Playa

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Parafilm, Petri Dish, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation