Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Trip Report: Flaming Lips, Basement Jaxx @ Coachella
    #2646519 - 05/06/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Last weekend my girlfriend and I drove out to the desert to attend the 50,000 person strong Coachella music festival.  I had planned to trip for Kraftwerk, but they performed on Day 1, I'd messed up and assumed they were playing day 2.  They were still amazing sober, it was a strange feeling: simultaneously comedic and awe-inspiring, which, come to think of it, is what life is, and the part of life that tripping accentuates.  aaaanyway... :tongue2:

Day one had been really hot, and the night before, my girlfriend and I had stayed up almost all night listening to the pathetic sounds of the tweakers we were staying with come-down and justify snorting more adderall at 4 in the morning (fuck speed).  We were a bit cranky on day one as a result.  That night, we were able to secure a pillow and blanket, and got relatively amazing sleep, a full 8 hour night, so we were in good spirits for the second day.

I decided to ingest 2 grams, so I stuck it in a baggie and put it in my sock to get past security.  Ok OK bla bla bla, get to the trip.  I dosed at 7:15, right before AIR came on.  Air was the perfect music for the come-up, chilled-out, reassuring, and surprisingly entertaining to watch live.  By the time they finished, I was tripping.  The Flaming Lips were next, who I had never seen.  My girlfriend assured me that it would be quite an experience.  We walked across the grounds to get some food before the next set, and I starting coming up more and more.  I got the first inclings of a hallucination that would persist and solidify as the night progressed: overlayed across the landscape was an invisible grid of orderly, beautiful geometric shapes.  I coudln't see the lines of the grid, but rather the scattered groups of people sitting around formed the shapes.  The grid was fractal, and its patterns persisted right down to people's hairstyles, the way they held their bodies, etc.  Another thing that clued me into the fact that I was tripping was in my peception of the crowd.  They were incrementally transforming from endless bodies that were keeping me from getting closer to the stage, to my human family.  I'd never tripped before in a huge, condensed group of artistic, like-minded people, so the vibes I was getting from them really surprised me.  I could intuit the fundamental dynamics of a concert: how the performer uses acoustics to massage the souls of the audience, who in turn send waves of good vibes resonating back to the stage, which in turn fire up the performer even more.  This symbiosis spirals out of control, and ecstasy happens.  It happened to me, and all of us, during the flaming lips.  I started to peak right as front man Wayne Coyne came out, the image of his face blazoned on a 40 foot-tall screen behind him, complete with psychedelic effects to boot.  As he bantered with the crowd, I could feel the anticipation, the stoke, the sum of feelings from the giant mass of humans around me.  He told us, in his weird, casual, funny, irreverent, and overall GENUINE way, of a dream he had experienced, where he floated into the coachella audience via magic clear bubble.  He continued on, saying he was going to make it a reality.  Out rolled a 10 foot tall clear plastic bubble, which he entered through a small velcro seam, and proceeded to manouver, like a hampster, off the stage and into the ecstatic crowd.  He ambled about atop the sea of hands and smiling faces, stumbling, walking, laughing, for a good minute or so, before he rolled himself back on stage, got out, and began the show.  Each band member was dressed as a different animal, and the sides of the stage had more of these people, dancing with flashlights, as well as inflatable cartoon characters.  It was quite a fucking spectacle.  You all know what singing is like on mushrooms, imagine singing with 50,000 people, lead by this amazing dude, happy birthday to Beck's unborn child.  I still get tingles down my spine just relating this stuff to you. 

The Lips show ended, and I wanted to cry, it was so good.  My girlfriend loves the basement jaxx, who were playing on a different stage, so she proceeded to yank my arm and make her way through a sea of people, all of whom I wanted to profess my love to :heart:, as well as avoid trampling them as I stumbled along.  We broke free of the densest area of bodies, and ran wild like children across the soft lawns of the coachella polo grounds to the smaller outdoor stage.  The funky electronic sounds of the Basement Jaxx got louder and louder, the visuals got more and more stunning and wonderful as my heartrate increased, and by the time we reached the other stage and started to dance, my body felt like it was in the midst of a sustained orgasm.  Imagine that, I'd never before danced on psychedelics.  Goddamn, I understand it now, its one of the funnest things a person can do.  I will definitely be raving from now on
:mushroom2: :loveeyes: :eyemouth:

The Cure was next, but they bored the hell out of me, which was a surprise, as I was most excited to see them out of any band there (save for Kraftwerk).  We left the closing act to go wander around, just check out the scene.  There was a tunnel made of strings of lights, which you would walk through wearing spectrum-separating glasses.  Very fucking beautiful.  I saw lots of trippers laying around in the grass adjacent to this thing, guys way more fucked up than me, with irises completely blacked out by their psychedelically dilated pupils.  I gotta run, that was my trip, it was awesome :grin:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineel_duderino
 User Gallery

Loc: South Australia
Re: Trip Report: Flaming Lips, Basement Jaxx @ Coachella [Re: Noviseer]
    #2649215 - 05/07/04 07:52 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

niiice Flaming Lips are great. I love going to huge music festivals like that! only ever been stoned tho, and that was a great time.

OfflineWizdum
8-bit nitwit.

#2649815 - 05/07/04 01:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Did they play Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell? What a good song. :wink:

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

#2650255 - 05/07/04 04:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

one of the better festival trip reports i've read........ thx for sharing.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Trip Report: Flaming Lips, Basement Jaxx @ Coachella [Re: 0xYg3n]
    #2654713 - 05/08/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

thanks brotha  :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #2665773 - 05/11/04 11:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

my freind was at that show
she said it was great
i wanted to see the cure and the lips
was it as hot as she said

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience