Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
10 Ways to Improve Your Life and/or Destroy It
    #2646370 - 05/06/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Absorb and Appreciate (in no particular order):

10. The Spriritual Basics: The Bible, the Tao, the Kabbalah and the Kybalion, the Bhagavad Gita, The Way of the Pilgrim, the Koran/Quar-an, and the Book of the Dead... all taken equally and the same, with a grain of salt....

9. Anything on Quantum Physics and Philosophy... anything you can find. Thoughts are energy, we create our reality as we strive to understand it... for starters grab some Stephen Hawking and Deleuze and Guattari's What is Philosophy?

8. The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker and Eric Fromm's Fear of Freedom. Best tag on The Art of Loving, as well.

7. Agnes Martin, Adorno & that most swank whirling boognish, Rumi* (I am seeking my Shams-i Tabriz. I wish to live what I've been reading.)

6. Anything by Knut Hamsun, Bukowski, Milan Kundera, and the short stories of JD Salinger, esp. Raise High the Roofbeams, Carpenters and Seymour an Introduction.

5. Gabriel Garcia Marquez: 100 Years of Solitude & Love in the Time of Cholera

4. Kierkegaard: Either/Or; On the Concept of Irony; Fear and Trembling; and the Diaries, mein Gott, the Diaries.

3. Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita & Heart of a Dog

2. Miguel De Unamuno: Our Lord Don Quixote

1. Drop your cocks and grab your socks... Henry Miller's Trilogy: Sexus, Plexus, Nexus: The Rosy Crucifixion. It's pretty much the Bible for those of us who like to drink, fuck, and write. Best thrown down with Under the Roofs of Paris whilst you're on a roll.

Get down with it.
------------------------
** TRANSCRIPT (slightly embellished, for flow, from notes)

Someone once remarked that this was, and I quote, "a selfish reason to read a book and does not accord it the proper respect." [to improve one's life and/or destroy it]

"Jesus Penis!" I responded, "What other reason is there?"

And I continued...

"We are all born into the irony of being born to die, and thereby and therefore every act and action on my part (unless you too, like the Buddha, have overcome the dualities of this world and are merely "waiting at the gate" for the rest of us) is either a step toward my improvement or demise.

All is selfishness. I accept and acknowledge my utter piggishness. My spiritual hunger and greed for life, love, and experience. I am an emotional junkie. I crave greater knowledge. I am my only perspective and I respect no Thing, only every Thing. I live, forever, for the entire eternity of my being alive, I live in this frame and this frame only.

"I"

My experience of thoughts is the experience of my thoughts and my thoughts only. My life is all that I have, and it is not mine. Some call it a gift. It is not. It is a loan. I will be recycled, reclaimed. "I" will end. There will be no more of anything. This is incomprehensible and the truth of this, if any, is what drives me mad.

"And that reminds me...."

At this point I was interrupted with, "No, everything really isn't selfishness. If the things you've done and seen in life lead you to believe that, you have a shitty life."

I considered this with a deep breath and a furrowed brow and I continued, calmly, "Alright, fucking pinche cabron, first things first. Fucking fuck, lingual judgements equating selfishness with a shitty life, or any sort of right/wrong, good/bad, positive/negative dualistic thinking has no place my world. No scat please. Keep your scat to yourself.

What you have failed to fathom is the inverse/reversal of the selfish/selfless pendulum in which, via my acceptance of the one (my utter piggishness, and yours, and God's, and the world's) I am given the ability and opportunity to experience my own annihilation (that of the ego) and selflessness may result, in divine glimpses, always interupted by the return of that Tyrant Ego, King Baby, ruler of all things, Greedy Gobbler for whom All is never Enough. And that is the flux with which the days go by, like waves in the ocean. Freedom is to float, and not to fight the flow, or to fight the flow. Have it your own way.

All that I have done and seen in this life leads me to believe that nothing is known, this life is a miracle, I am not God, God is in me/as me, Love really is all you need, spiritual evolution is our top priority, and that this is an experience, but it is not reality. I am here, but I am not here. Simultaneously.

Contemplating the infinitude of God, the queen can do no wrong.

"The Light the Failed by Ruyard Kipling. Add that to the list."

At this point he stated, simply, "Guess what? You're wrong. On all counts!"

And I retorted, "Take it up with the Jesuits, bitch.

(and then, quoth I the following)

"What shall I do to love my neighbor?"

"Stop hating yourself."

The disciple pondered those words long and seriously and came back to say, "But I love myself too much, for I am selfish and self-centered. How do I get rid of that?"

"Be friendly to yourself and your self will be contented and it will set you free to love your neighbor."

(Anthony de Mello, S.J.)

The Zen Pickle, my friend. There's a koan which asks a person to go in a circle in both directions simultaneously.

He then stated, quite rudely, "Then your world is a lie."

And at this, I admit, I found myself slightly irritated.

I rallied with the following:

"Fucking idiots and infidels, calling my world a "lie" would suggest that there is something called "truth" in my pantheon of thought which has an opposite. Bah! Humbug! Imagine, for a moment, that everything is true. No philosopher has ever been wrong. Every thought is absolute. There is only one moment (Now) and it is always perfect. Before you speak of my world again, please read fucking Alan Watts, take some acid and masturbate, writhe in self-loathing and alcoholism for 15 years, laugh until you piss your pants, fall in love, look directly into the sun for 3 hours, offer your life to God, and figure out the patterning on the Stile Project's Random Image Generator.... then, and only then, will I think that you have any idea what my world is.

The sole inevitable truth you speak of has no place in my botany because it is the garden itself, in which I dwell. That sole inevitable truth, sometimes referred to as God, the All, the Void, Reality, the Is, Everything or Nothing, is something which I have spent my entire life attempting to grasp, experience, comprehend, combat, ignore, deny, ad infinitum. It is something to be wrassled with, not meekly accepted in word and deed only.

This is the game, Ratfucker, my friend. This mind of mine must be permitted to travel withersoever it wilt, and I do not take credit nor absorb insult when others do or do not agree with me and/or find my thoughts acceptable, interesting, revolting or subhuman. I am but a channel of that inevitable truth. My selfishness is the very same selfishness with which God made the world and the oracles demanded that Thou Shalt Know Thyself.

I am entertained by the vibrations of my own thoughts, the sounds of words, and the way that sentences flow. My experience of a conversation and the exchange of ideas between friends is an erotic act with which I masturbate my soul. I am nothing but the experience of this consciousness. There is no reality for me, except what I think and feel.

And once again, my utter selfishness is nothing I have ever denied. Piggish. Greedy. Gluttonous. Whore. The Word. The Light. The Path.

Please note! I'm an artist, not a philosopher, although I do love philosophy so. It is a language that I do not claim to understand, and I view it with the same liberal and interpretive bliss as I have when I look at an abstract painting.

My good friend, if you want to fulfill your vocation as it should be, beware of art, beware of science, at least of what they call art and science and are really only petty imitations of true art and true science. Let faith be enough for you. Faith will be your art; faith will be your science.

More than once, as I notice how careful you are when writing your letters, I am not sure if you will be able to carry out your task. Frequently you cross out words, change others, correct them, or make blots with the ink. It does not gush out suddenly, pushing forth the cap. More than once your letters become literature, that piggish literature, which is a natural ally to all kinds of slavery and to all kind of misery. Slave drivers know full well that while the slaves are singing to liberty, they take comfort from their slavery and do not bother about breaking their chains.

But other times I recover my faith and hope in you, when I sense, under your hasty, improvised, cacophonous words, your trembling voice overwhelmed by fever. At times you would say they are not written in any certain language. Let each one translate it, as he likes.*

Back off on the harsh tones, with the right and the wrong and the true and the false. When our slimy bodies left the waters, from whence we crawled and evolved, we forgot how to drift and flow. Feel and be. Now life is hard. Concrete. However, merciful jester, thought is not hard. Beliefs are not firm. Feelings are light. Emotions are but energy in motion.

On second thought, fuck the list. Any book will do. 'Tis all but words, words, words...."

(*Unamuno)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Re: 10 Ways to Improve Your Life and/or Destroy It [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2646467 - 05/06/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Read fuckers

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Offlineturboturd
stragler

#2646708 - 05/06/04 07:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

'There is no reality for me, except what I think and feel.'

Isn't that the only reality that really exists?

sum this all up, and tell us what you ment by it. i first scanned the page, trying to make sence out of the words. i then began the read the entire page and couldnt understand the flow of it. what is going on?

maybe you can explain...too many drugs? too much thinking?

--------------------
'In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti'

don't wig out on the turd.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: 10 Ways to Improve Your Life and/or Destroy It [Re: turboturd]
    #2646769 - 05/06/04 07:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If you define reality as your expirence, then yes that is all that exists to you. But there are objects in this world (such as Earth) that are a part of this shared reality that exist, definately.

Selfishness is the cause for all negativity.

I define selfishness as, thoughts or actions taken without the consideration of others...yes, even when they themselves are being selfish towards you. Is it selfish to take a breath of air? No, of course not. It is supplied to you by Earth and Sun. Take what is here for you, and share with others. If spiritual equilibrium can be maintained, then it is not greedy.

As for trying to reveal the truth, words will continue to fail. Thought and peace are the only ways to share this vision with others. If you choose to use your voice as a medium for it, then try to say things that force others to think for themselves and become self-confident, and most importantly draw their own conclusions.

Peace.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2646813 - 05/06/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That's a long list of things to "absorb." You give me no solid evidence to entrust in your advice though.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2649154 - 05/07/04 06:33 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"beware of art"-

Miguel de Unamuno

in the Introduction of " Life of Don Quixote and Sancho "

http://www.donquixote.com/sepofdonquix.html

"the exchange of ideas between friends is an erotic act"

Word History: A friend is a lover, literally

eh, En garde, eh?

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Re: 10 Ways to Improve Your Life and/or Destroy It [Re: castaway]
    #2649196 - 05/07/04 07:28 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:tongue:

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2649198 - 05/07/04 07:33 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:jazzman::crymeariver:

Edited by castaway (05/07/04 07:35 AM)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2649361 - 05/07/04 10:09 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The transcript you quoted was excellent. From where was it taken?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Re: 10 Ways to Improve Your Life and/or Destroy It [Re: Frog]
    #2649434 - 05/07/04 10:52 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know. Its taken from some guy/gals notebook entries.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2649481 - 05/07/04 11:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well, it reads like something out of a novel that might be written by Vonnegut or someone like that. I can't think of any authors besides him, right now, but that was pretty good. Maybe a cross between Stephen King and Vonnegut.

I love reading stuff like that. I'm not saying I believe all of it or any of it, but I can empathize with what is written, and it is pretty entertaining to be taken along with the author in his thought processes.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology