Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWhoRunsWhere
Stranger
Trying to eliminate Google - Whole Home Audio questions
    #26462861 - 02/01/20 12:06 AM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Hi guys

Normally I'd say first time poster, long time lurker; but in this case, this is my second post (still seeking an answer on the lighting question, too, if someone has a link handy to a tek). Anyhow, whattup.

Given our hobby of choice, I'm assuming we all share a similar mindset on data privacy.

I'm trying to break up with Google, but I don't want to jump into the same shitty relationship with a new partner. I've heard good things about Apple's policies, but I don't like that they've obsoleted devices in the past, so they're a last resort.

What are y'all using for wireless whole home audio setups? While I'm proficient with technology, I've gotten to the point where I just want shit to work. Is Sonos a viable option? I'm ok with paying a slight markup if it means I don't have to hook a fucking Pi 3B+ into the speaker. If there's a way better option than Sonos and it requires some technical know how, I'm ok with that, provided the audio quality is dope. My current speakers (sans Google, but replaced with the same functionality) would be sufficient, as long as the software works seamlessly with Windows and Android.... which can maybe be handled by Home Assistant? I don't know man. I have adhd, could you tell?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Trying to eliminate Google - Whole Home Audio questions [Re: WhoRunsWhere]
    #26462945 - 02/01/20 01:55 AM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Android compatibility and eliminating google are not compatible goals.

But beyond that, I don't think it's necessary. If I was building a house and could setup a stack room and wire everything up I'd go for it, but if you're going wireless you're paying a premium for the speakers for the connectivity. Most audio software that can be played from android and windows is going to have multi-platform connectivity already, so switching between devices isn't exactly an issue.

For the same price as a whole home audio setup, you could just as easily buy premium studio monitors for your main PC, a solid sound bar for your main TV, a portable Bluetooth speaker with good sound that you can carry between rooms and on the go, a solid set of in ear headphones and a set of over ear headphones. All that would probably be cheaper and higher quality in the long run, and connectivity between devices isn't really an issue.

OfflineNortherner
FSM acolyte
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: Trying to eliminate Google - Whole Home Audio questions [Re: PatrickKn] * 1
    #26462998 - 02/01/20 03:58 AM (1 year, 29 days ago)

I use a Sony MusicCast system. Sounds fucking sweet and runs on proprietary software. Privacy never really occurred to me though, I just wanted good audio. The app to drive it is an Android app, but I don't get the feeling it's googlfied. There are googlfied Sony speakers if you wanna go that route, but that's not the MusicCast. You can also hook up Spotify, Tidal and Pandora or whatever streaming services you want, if you want. I just play off my NAS and the internet radio mostly, or swap it over to my home theatre inputs.

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

OfflineWhoRunsWhere
Stranger
Re: Trying to eliminate Google - Whole Home Audio questions [Re: PatrickKn]
    #26463131 - 02/01/20 08:54 AM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
Android compatibility and eliminating google are not compatible goals.

But beyond that, I don't think it's necessary. If I was building a house and could setup a stack room and wire everything up I'd go for it, but if you're going wireless you're paying a premium for the speakers for the connectivity. Most audio software that can be played from android and windows is going to have multi-platform connectivity already, so switching between devices isn't exactly an issue.

For the same price as a whole home audio setup, you could just as easily buy premium studio monitors for your main PC, a solid sound bar for your main TV, a portable Bluetooth speaker with good sound that you can carry between rooms and on the go, a solid set of in ear headphones and a set of over ear headphones. All that would probably be cheaper and higher quality in the long run, and connectivity between devices isn't really an issue.

I'm not saying your solution was a bad one, just that I already tried that and the experience isn't what it could be. I actually have a couple of JBL products, the Charge 4 and Flip 4, and the speakers sound pretty good on their own. They can even sync up to each other with JBL Connect. That said, in my opinion it's bullshit that they don't stay permanently awake when plugged in. Also, carrying around a speaker while tripping isn't ideal. I want to be blown away by music and I'm not trying to have a bluetooth speaker in hand while I do it.

Also, if the option you suggested allowed for those speakers to all sync up, I'd be all about it... but again, that's kind of what I already have. Not studio quality by any means, but rocking the Creative T20 with an old logitech ~6" sub. Sony HTC-80 soundbar on the television, a couple of other JBL speakers with chromecast built it (Can Google Assistant be removed / firmware updated?)

Technology is fucking hard sometimes. Trying to get things just right is a whole lot more difficult than painting a house.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#26463149 - 02/01/20 09:12 AM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Running the wire is still your best bet for audio.

I'd avoid Sonos, they've gotten some shit for their firmware upgrade/compatibility (or lack thereof) recently.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineWhoRunsWhere
Stranger
Re: Trying to eliminate Google - Whole Home Audio questions [Re: badchad]
    #26481449 - 02/12/20 08:12 AM (1 year, 18 days ago)

Yeah, my current setup is constantly out of sync. I'd imagine wires would bring a whole lot of stability to the experience. That'll happen in the next house... not trying to drill holes and snake wires when I'll be moving within a year.

Onlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26481470 - 02/12/20 08:42 AM (1 year, 18 days ago)

Run a Plex server, then use Airport Expresses at each location that needs audio, then airplay to those. It's the best system on the market, and despite being Apple hardware isn't all that expensive. The nice thing is that Airplay is lossless, and you can plug them into your amp or power speakers either with standard 3.5mm headphone cable, or optical audio (a good choice for various reasons).

For the Plex server you'll need something that can store your music. Then a computer to process the audio. You can run Windows, Linux, Mac OSX for your server, I run mine on a Windows desktop that I use in my design office.

Via the Plex app you can access your music via PC, Andorid, Apple IOS, MacOSX, even Alexa (though support is limited). There are also ways to AirPlay via Android phones, so you wouldn't necessarily be married to just Apple phones.

I stream music and video from my plex server and serve something like 8 TV's, a few iPads, and multiple mobile devices/music listening devices. It works quite well!

--------------------
A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles

Community >> The Pub