Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleZildjian
human

Loc: new zealand
It is complete at last!
    #2644388 - 05/06/04 05:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I have finally finished the drawing i started over a year ago; it is titled 'the blad head from cuba' for obvious reasons! :smile: it is A2, black biros on a piece of card.

If there are any fine arts students, or professional artists out there, I would highly appreciate your comments. I have been told by several art students already that this sort of art holds no place in society and while interesting to look at; is utterly worthless. This is apparently because it does not follow contempory structure. I personally find most contempory art to be rather tacky, meaningless, simple and cliche.

I'm sick of fucking abstract fucking landscapes which have no actual meaning, and only take several days to create. I personally can't see how anything decent can be made in less than 100 hours.

Edited by Zildjian (05/06/04 05:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: It is complete at last! [Re: Zildjian]
    #2644425 - 05/06/04 06:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think it rocks. Your style is alot like mine, if I had a lot more patience :smile:

I tend to draw the same kind of art, but I get impatient and don't take enough time to carefully shade everything, so it ends up looking rushed a lot of the time.

"it is A2, black biros on a piece of card."

Can you explain that? I'm not farmiliar with the term "biros".. I assume A2 is the hardness.. and what kind of card?

InvisibleZildjian
human

Re: It is complete at last! [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2644556 - 05/06/04 07:39 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

hey thanks man,

A2 is actually the size, its the size of 4 standard sheets of computer paper; well the sheets of computer paper where I am anyway. By biros I mean ball-points; you know the Bic ones? their pretty common round these parts.

I don't know the exact thickness of the card, pretty fucking thick though, maybe 1/32in, 850gsm or there abouts.

it began really stiff, but it's been thrown about the place so much that it has deteriorated to a floppy, creased piece of shit. But hey, it adds to the character.

I'd really like to see some of your drawings if you have any around.

Offlinepsyborg
psy addict.

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
    #2645353 - 05/06/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Very cool man!!! You are very talented! Woudl love to see more of your work.
:laugh:

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #2645434 - 05/06/04 12:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Man..that kicks ass!  Awesome job :smile:

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2645458 - 05/06/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think anything that takes over 100 hours to make is amazing. I don't care what it looks like. That is a great picture, I like the shading alot. Did you do any pencil beforehand or just straight to ink? Have you thought about making a background for it to blend into? I think it looks fine, freestanding like that, but a base or something to orient it to might make it seem more solid. You should send it into erowid or something so you can be in the artist vault there.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2645721 - 05/06/04 01:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

:eek:Oh man that is so cool.  I absolutely love this picture, I can just tell how much time and effort you put into this thing.  You have some serious drawing and concentration skills, ill give you that.  Very nice work :handth:.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #2645974 - 05/06/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

wow! that's really awesome! its' definitely easy to tell this picture took a while :wink:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleZildjian
human

Re: It is complete at last! [Re: bert]
    #2647450 - 05/06/04 08:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

thankyou all for your comments, they're what drive me to do more! I didn't use anything except pen, so the re are a few fuck-ups, but i managed to blend them in alright.

This is by far the best thing i have ever done, i'm working on another smaller one i started yesterday. I'll post it when it's finished. . . though it may take a while.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#2896270 - 07/16/04 08:03 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, this is incredible  :handth:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2896372 - 07/16/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Zildjian said:
I'd really like to see some of your drawings if you have any around.

There are a few interspersed in my portfolio here: http://shade.swoo.net

It is mostly design oriented, but there are a few pencil pieces in there.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #2896485 - 07/16/04 09:45 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

you are truely a great artist, beautifull! :laugh:

Invisibleadrug

#2897299 - 07/16/04 02:16 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

That's extremely cool... as for the people saying that "it holds no place in society", that's just a bunch of artsy elitist bullshit. If a toilet with a signature on it or a guitar painted in geometric shapes can be accepted as part of an art movement, I don't see why this can't too.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2897540 - 07/16/04 03:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I have been told by several art students already that this sort of art holds no place in society and while interesting to look at; is utterly worthless. This is apparently because it does not follow contempory structure. I personally find most contempory art to be rather tacky, meaningless, simple and cliche.

I'm sick of fucking abstract fucking landscapes which have no actual meaning 

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :thumbup: :heart: :thumbup:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes your ART has a place in my heart :wink:, fuck what some yuppie art students say :smirk:

Personally I cant draw(well I can but no one wants to see stickman cartoons :wink: )I do write alot of music, but I have never been able to draw.......so I have always deeply respected visual artists, and SIR  :smile: that is one FINE peice of art :thumbup:

Regradless of what these retards you were talking to say, I LOVE that kind of art.

Good work, keep it up, your pic has been saved.

Follow your craft :thumbup: your the artist, you know how it SHOULD look. :laugh:

--------------------

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
    #2897677 - 07/16/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

that's some intense shadowing with only a ballpoint pen.. thumbs up, I like it, very good shadowing/blending

Offlinemvs
Stranger
    #2898058 - 07/16/04 06:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I wanna start off by saying well done.you have a great deal of precision with the pen and your patience shows. I'm a fine art student and in response to your questions about this being worthless in the art world ... well lets look at the main focus of attention - the eye. The eye is probably the biggest cliche to draw... everyone loves drawing eyes and the fact that its slap bang in the middle of the piece and contained in a circle draws all my attention to it and I find it uninteresting - the pupil is dilated with mushrooms inside.. both of these are also cliches used to give the idea of altered states from drug use. So there's not really any room for imagination here. The outer edges allow for more imagination and there are parts where my mind can really drift off into but the eyes and mushrooms also seem overused to me here. I much prefer the parts where I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at and this allows my mind to come up with all diffrent kinds of possibilities... whereas when I look at the eye it's like OK its an eye with mushrooms inside of it and my mind stops there (because it's so obviously drawn ya know).
but don't concern yourself with what the art world thinks. If you like drawing this way then go for it... if its fun and you enjoy it then who the fuck cares what anyone else thinks

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#2899126 - 07/17/04 03:03 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Zildjian said:

I personally find most contempory art to be rather tacky, meaningless, simple and cliche.

heh yeah, contemporary anything.

it seems to me that the most innovative Artists recieve the least recognition.

how do you get shading like that w/ a ball point pen?

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
    #2899324 - 07/17/04 07:37 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

WOW, that is very very good! You definitely have talent! Shit, that's cool! Nicely done!

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2899469 - 07/17/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome job dude!! :laugh: :thumbup: :rockon:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinemetamind
(FormerlyEnlightened)

Loc: Florida
    #2899926 - 07/17/04 01:58 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I love things like this. My eyes can wander all over the drawing and focus at some random point, and then a new image will emerge at that point...and that image will lead my eyes somewhere else. And no matter how long this happens, I never fail to find something new that didn't show up before. In this way, I'd say it captures the essence of tripping. Oddly enough, I don't find myself focusing on the center eye much at all. Great detail. Good job.  :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract