Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells * 1
    #26452374 - 01/25/20 06:29 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells

Source:

For a long time, scientists believed that no new neurons are born in the brains of adults, meaning that when our existing brain cells become damaged or die, they are not replaced. However, it was later discovered that neurogenesis – meaning the creation of new neurons – does in fact in occur in the hippocampus, a brain region associated with memory. Unfortunately, the rate of neurogenesis is not always sufficient to replace all of our damaged neurons as we age, which is why many people suffer from dementia and other age-related cognitive deficiencies. Fortunately, a study conducted by the Beckley/Sant Pau Research Programme, and published in the journal Scientific Reports, reveals that certain compounds present in the psychedelic Amazonian brew ayahuasca actually stimulate the birth of new neurons.

Researchers placed harmine and tetrahydroharmine – the most prevalent alkaloids in ayahuasca – in a petri dish with hippocampal stem cells, and found that this greatly increased the rate at which these cells developed into fully mature neurons. The results of this study were first presented at the Interdisciplinary Conference on Psychedelics Research in 2016, and represent the first evidence that components of ayahuasca have neurogenic properties, thereby opening up a wealth of possibilities for future research.

We are currently conducting additional experiments to discern the magnitude of the observed effects, as well as undertaking studies on live animals. The replication of the present findings in vivo would represent a major breakthrough in mental healthcare, with potential applications ranging from treating neurodegenerative and psychiatric disorders to redressing brain damage associated with stroke or trauma.

Jordi Riba of the Beckley/Sant Pau Research Programme explains the latest findings, illustrating them with the beautiful images below

What you are seeing is a “static picture” taken after several days of treatment of the stem cells with the different compounds. No neurons were present prior to the three different tretments: a) saline (water+salt); b) harmine; and c) tetrahydroharmine.

The first image is the control, when only salty water (saline) added to the cell cultures. The nuclei of the stem cells can be seen in blue.These stem cells have been treated with saline for several days and only a few have developed into young neurons (the few green sports in the image).

The second image shows the results after several days of treatment with harmine: blue is still present because it’s a marker of cell nuclei, and all cells have nuclei (stem cells and neurons). The green spots are the young neurons marked using Tuj1 staining (this staining is specific for “neuron-specific class III beta-tubulin) present in recently created neurons. The red spots show more mature neurons. The staining marks the “microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP-2). Its presence increases during neuron development.

The third image shows the results obtained after several days of treatment with tetrahydroharmine. The meaning of the colors is the same.

Words: Jordi Riba
Head of the  Human Neuropsychopharmacology Research Group at Sant Pau Hospital in Barcelona and a co-director with Amanda Feilding, of the Beckley/Sant Pau Research Programme

--------------------
©️

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells [Re: Lucis] * 1
    #26452568 - 01/25/20 08:35 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, it is good.  Takes forever to brew and the smell of it.  Can take the taste but roomates when I last had it knew I was up to something illegal.  In Utah they smell it like a dog. 
But gave me a knowledge that everything is connected and I saw energy grids that connects everyone form all of time and I could tap into any of it.  Chose Drew Barrymore for some reason as I was into her movies then and then reality, Red Sox after seeing that horrid movie with the guy from SNL.  And the day after felt her vibe and their was a red sox sticker on a trash can.  Life is strange.

But it shifted my mindset.  And I learned.  Would do it again but they are making it harder to have tea.  Just in jest, I would never do anything illegal.

Offlinesk8fast
Tripping skater
 User Gallery

Re: Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells [Re: Barnaby]
    #26452588 - 01/25/20 08:54 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Barnaby said:
Yes, it is good.  Takes forever to brew and the smell of it.  Can take the taste but roomates when I last had it knew I was up to something illegal.  In Utah they smell it like a dog. 
But gave me a knowledge that everything is connected and I saw energy grids that connects everyone form all of time and I could tap into any of it.  Chose Drew Barrymore for some reason as I was into her movies then and then reality, Red Sox after seeing that horrid movie with the guy from SNL.  And the day after felt her vibe and their was a red sox sticker on a trash can.  Life is strange.

But it shifted my mindset.  And I learned.  Would do it again but they are making it harder to have tea.  Just in jest, I would never do anything illegal.

Ayahuasca is legal for religious consumption and harmine containing plants are legal for all use

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells [Re: sk8fast]
    #26452861 - 01/26/20 02:36 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

But you have to prove you are in a religion coming from the most religious state in America, Utah.  Schedule One DMT and I would be arrested most likely.  Crime is so low here they will send a cop to your door if a warrant is issued for a speeding ticket.:shrug:

Though really want to use it again.  Jail is hell.  Boredom at its finest.  But I kept perspective when arrested and charged for a first degree felony for 7 hits of lsd in a drug free zone.

Fled to California and they laughed thinking I was full of shit.  No, probation officer told my brother they will go to there to get me.  Young and stupid.  Did 3 months and 10 years probation.  Turned myself in and shaved my head and eyebrows from depression before doing so and they put in with the loonies.  All about where one lives so I am a bit cautious living in Utah again.

I just didn't like that feeling of that anytime my plans would be ruined because of the warrant.  That fear if any cop checks your I.D. your fucked.  But that time is done.  Really want to use it again though and know how just don't want to go back again.  So clausterphobic.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells [Re: Barnaby] * 2
    #26453040 - 01/26/20 07:08 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

This is interesting yes but these in vitro studies have no real correlation to neurons in a brain.
Lots of chemicals may give a sufficient stimulus to developing neurons in a dish causing them to grow or change morphology.
Id like to see them use some other compounds in addition to the harmines. What if they find the control does nothing. Harmines do something and then something like say paracetamol does even better. Would really change interpretation of the results

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26453304 - 01/26/20 10:46 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Barnaby said:
But you have to prove you are in a religion coming from the most religious state in America, Utah.  Schedule One DMT and I would be arrested most likely.  Crime is so low here they will send a cop to your door if a warrant is issued for a speeding ticket.:shrug:

Though really want to use it again.  Jail is hell.  Boredom at its finest.  But I kept perspective when arrested and charged for a first degree felony for 7 hits of lsd in a drug free zone.

Fled to California and they laughed thinking I was full of shit.  No, probation officer told my brother they will go to there to get me.  Young and stupid.  Did 3 months and 10 years probation.  Turned myself in and shaved my head and eyebrows from depression before doing so and they put in with the loonies.  All about where one lives so I am a bit cautious living in Utah again.

I just didn't like that feeling of that anytime my plans would be ruined because of the warrant.  That fear if any cop checks your I.D. your fucked.  But that time is done.  Really want to use it again though and know how just don't want to go back again.  So clausterphobic.

Not all Ayahuasca has DMT added, many tribes only use the vine/Harmalas which are what cause many of the medicinal benefits such as this. The harmalas are 100% legal in most places and you can even buy pure harmine off ebay last I checked

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
This is interesting yes but these in vitro studies have no real correlation to neurons in a brain.
Lots of chemicals may give a sufficient stimulus to developing neurons in a dish causing them to grow or change morphology.
Id like to see them use some other compounds in addition to the harmines. What if they find the control does nothing. Harmines do something and then something like say paracetamol does even better. Would really change interpretation of the results

This does seem to back up older studies showing Ayahuasca promotes neurogensis as well as neuroprotective effects though. This is far from the first study looking into these benefits.

People have known about these benefits for decades, they just haven't been studied in depth due to the legality and taboo of psychedelics.

The harmalas also have anti cancer/tumor properties. Syrian Rue was apparently used as a folk medicine to treat skin cancer back in the day. But people used the harmalas for a huge range of medicinal benefits.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells [Re: musiclover420]
    #26453317 - 01/26/20 10:52 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

People haven't known about "these effects" for decades. One because they had not been studied yet. If it turns out true some people may have correctly predicted

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Ayahuasca Stimulates the Birth of New Brain Cells [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26453494 - 01/26/20 12:44 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
People haven't known about "these effects" for decades. One because they had not been studied yet. If it turns out true some people may have correctly predicted

The harmalas have been studied a considerable amount in certain parts of the world. You might be surprised how much research is out focusing on them.

The Therapeutic Potentials of Ayahuasca

That is an overview paper about Ayahuasca, it cites 145 referances. Some going back to the 80's while others are as recent as 2014. Here are some excerpts:

Quote:

The Possible Role of DMT in Tissue Protection and Neuroregeneration

If the Sig-1R promotes cellular (neuronal) survival against oxidative stress (Pal et al., 2012) and regulates immune processes (Jarrott and Williams, 2015), one may attribute the same physiological role to its endogenous ligands, like DMT (Frecska et al., 2013). Since the Sig-1R is also known to regulate morphogenesis of neuronal cells, such as neurite outgrowth, synaptogenesis, and myelination (Ruscher and Wieloch, 2015); neurorestorative effects are reasonably expected from DMT. In a previous paper (Frecska et al., 2013) we concluded that the function of DMT may extend central nervous activity and involve a more universal role in cellular protective mechanisms. We provided converging evidence that while DMT is a substance which produces powerful psychedelic experiences, it is better understood not as a hallucinogenic drug of abuse, but rather an agent of significant adaptive mechanisms like neuroprotection, neuroregeneration, and immunity.

Nevertheless, immunoregulation by DMT is a bidirectional process. Sig-1Rs are expressed together with 5-HT receptors in immune cells conveying both inflammatory and anti-inflammatory signals (Szabo, 2015). These receptors are essential in the “fine-tuning” of innate and adaptive immune responses. Human clinical studies showed that ayahuasca can alter the number and distribution of blood immune cells in a way that can increase the antiviral and anti-tumor immunity of the consumer (reviewed in Frecska et al., 2013). Ayahuasca also influences the distribution of lymphocyte subpopulation: CD4 lymphocytes decrease and the number of natural killer cells increase significantly with time (dos Santos et al., 2012). The possible anti-cancer activity of the decoction makes it a promising candidate for further researches in novel pharmacotherapies (Schenberg, 2013). Furthermore, DMT may also be an adaptogen increasing the survival rate of neurons or other cell types during acute hypoxia or under chronic oxidative stress.

From a biological standpoint the extent to which DMT and harmine play a role in ayahuasca effects is difficult to judge since the brew contains a significant amount of bioactive substances in addition to the indole and β-carboline alkaloids. An important example of such compounds is the group of antioxidant polyphenols, which can also be linked to the observed immunomodulatory effects (Szabo et al., 2014). Antioxidants are known for their capacity of reducing inflammatory processes or even stopping them (Grimble, 1994; Geronikaki and Gavalas, 2006). Malignant transformation is also inhibited by polynucleotides through providing protection against oxidative stress for other cellular compounds (Marquardt, 1984). In addition to the immunomodulatory effects, ayahuasca may also exhibit neuroprotective and neurorestorative qualities. Hence, it has been suggested that ayahuasca can be applied therapeutically in Parkinson’s and other neurodegenerative diseases (Samoylenko et al., 2010). Ayahuasca’s high content of bioactive materials points toward a combined mechanism of the various effect and calls for further clinical research to reveal the detailed pharmacology of the constituents.

It is a very long paper though that goes over a lot of interesting research.

Hopefully we'll see real clinical trials eventually, but they will probably focus on DMT or Harmalas individually at first. The harmalas alone deserve way more research though.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Edited by musiclover420 (01/26/20 12:48 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom