Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDancingWolf
FluffButt
I'm a teapot

Filthy little vermin bugs, what are they?
    #26444010 - 01/20/20 10:07 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

So I have these tiny white flies that seem to cause rotting on cactus. I think they start as tiny clear worms that are a little bit thicker than a hair, sorry, no pictures of them ATM. They caused all kinds of problems in the past with my Opuntia cuttings because they would chew on the calloused area, make tiny wounds and rot the plant. I almost lost a Bridgesii cutting not long after I bought it because the demons chewed on the bottom, then it spread all over. The bugs bring black rot and thrive in it, laying worms, eggs, and continuing to destroy like they alone own the plant.

Here is the cutting that I saved last year. I recall halting the scrotes destruction by washing it in copper sulfate, then baking the cutting in the sun so they had nothing left that was wet to live in.

I learned why two of my Gymnocalyciums weren't re-rooting, or uptaking water for the last year. The roots rotted out and up into the core. One was salvageable, the other, maybe, its probably too weak to root. I checked for the same on a domino cactus since it recently had the same problem of slowly dehydrating. After cutting the bottom off, I found a hollow, rotted out cavity where these bastards setup shop, slowly chewing away at it.

Its all cleaned up now, it might root, it might not, its dusted up in sulfur and drying now so it at least gets a chance. The bottom line is, what are the little ****s and how do I prevent them and exterminate their meaningless existence? They are quite tiny, about half a grain of sand, solid white, and fly around.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBotanicalWizardry
Stranger

Re: Filthy little vermin bugs, what are they? [Re: DancingWolf]
    #26444307 - 01/21/20 05:37 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Look like fungus gnat larva to me?

OfflineDancingWolf
FluffButt
I'm a teapot

Re: Filthy little vermin bugs, what are they? [Re: BotanicalWizardry]
    #26444514 - 01/21/20 09:27 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Everything about them has always come across as fungal gnats, but fungal gnats are black and these are entirely white. I have yet to see pictures of white gnats or really any documentation on them and its highly unlikely I have some unique variety, hence why I err as to what they are.

The red boxes aren't larva, they are the flies, they are tiny.

OfflineBotanicalWizardry
Stranger

#26444715 - 01/21/20 11:44 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Ohh I can see the pic so much better on my pc, do they fly? Could be white flies, but actually looks like thrips. I thought they were the bottom of the larvas but sticking out of the soil previously.

Edited by BotanicalWizardry (01/21/20 11:45 AM)

OfflineDancingWolf
FluffButt
I'm a teapot

Re: Filthy little vermin bugs, what are they? [Re: BotanicalWizardry]
    #26444904 - 01/21/20 06:23 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, they fly around if given the chance.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
    #26458454 - 01/29/20 12:21 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Have you tried some dilute H2O2 (1-3% Hydrogen peroxide) and water the soil with it?
It starts fizzing when the H2O2 goes down the soil and it should kill the larva in the soil and it should not be dangerous to the plant.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder