Home | Community | Message Board

ElevationChemicals.com - Reagent Test Kits
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Microscope, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Looking for some guideance on my first grow
    #26441698 - 01/19/20 03:18 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Great source of info here! I think i've got enough to begin but had some questions.

I found a good deal from a trusted reddit seller so i bought 4 different cube strain syringes. :rasta:

Materials: small pressure cooker fits 4 12oz mason jars, large bag of verm & WBS, 70qt sterlite clear container,1"medical tape, 12-24w 6000k cfls

Grow space: hottest room of house in winter in a large closet with 2 accordion style opening doors(i think these allow a little more air flow/light when cracked open compared to a standard door)

General plan: pasteurize jars in PC, inoc, colonize and then break up into 70qt tub and fruit in closet with 1 or 2 cfls a couple inches above the container lid.

Questions:
Jar prep- I have some barley malted grains(unused left over from beer making... or maybe even the used grain?) would that be better than WBS? should i blend up the WBS/grain first?
Medical tape on the jar lid holes before PC? (will be covered with foil as well)

bulk substrate prep: is dumping boiling water into substrate in bucket and covering good enough sterilizing?
I have some old used coco coir, would it be ok to use that with verm 50/50 mix ?
I'll have about 50oz of colonized material to spread around, will this be enough?

Growing: The room is around 66-72 usually but 20% humidity.
Should i colonize the jars in my closet or a more sealed gym locker style cabinet i also have?

Should i adjust my grow container plan for my low humidity?
container is about 24"Lx14"x14". planning on drilling 1/4" holes 5" from bottom spaced 2" apart with 2 1x1" holes at the top on the long sides and 1 1x1" on the short sides, whats the best distance from the top to put those holes?

I assume my substrate height should be about 1" lower than the bottom holes or more?

Hole taping: Any guidance on where and when to remove tape? when colonizing the bulk sub they will all be taped but will foil over the sub help or don't bother?
During the fruiting:ever remove bottom tape?

After the grow: If i wanted to make chocolate cubes would drying and grinding all mushrooms then adding to a large amount of chocolate and mixing before spooning into cubes distribute dosage equally or could i end up with a few really strong ones at the bottom? vs mixing a weighed amount of the ground material into each chocolate cube?

Well that was a lot more questions than i thought! hope i was clear enough but i can take some pics if needed.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRaccoon
Newb
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: C12ShroomMan]
    #26442086 - 01/19/20 08:01 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Sounds like you did your research, but it's a lot of info and you're unsure about it. Don't overthink it. Just pick a tek and follow that to a T. I used Bod's Teks. Unmodified tubs, agar, oats, and that's easy. My monotub was a shoebox, no modification needed.

Quote:

is dumping boiling water into substrate in bucket and covering good enough sterilizing?

no, it's not sterilization at all. The whole point is that sterilization isn't needed at this step.

All your questions are good questions, but don't matter. Just follow the tek and your questions will answer themselves.

--------------------
First Grow

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: Raccoon]
    #26442353 - 01/19/20 11:02 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Thanks, I went and read through some more of BOD's threads.
Going to follow his tek more closely. but i still want to experiment with WBS/Verm.

Going to look for some coir tomorrow, start preping jars for the spores that get here tuesday :smile:

I guess the one thing i'm wondering now is when to add light? after fully colonized or wait for pinning?

OfflineRaccoon
Newb
Male

#26442528 - 01/20/20 02:40 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Spores directly to grain? I've always read that that's risky, hence why the pf Tek exists... But I just read this forum and it might be okay. Good luck.

I put the light on right away, but it probably doesn't need it until pinning.

--------------------
First Grow

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: Raccoon]
    #26443511 - 01/20/20 07:06 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Raccoon said:
Spores directly to grain? I've always read that that's risky, hence why the pf Tek exists... But I just read this forum and it might be okay. Good luck.

I put the light on right away, but it probably doesn't need it until pinning.

I'll probably put together a order to work with agar but for starting out now just want to get something going. I have to leave for a week end of Feb so i'd like to harvest some before / not have to care for it much.

Scored some brick coir at petco and decided to think about smaller tubs or shoe box size. Will just fruit 1 or 2 in jars. See how this works out with my limited 48oz batch size(4x12oz) in small pressure cooker.

I think the shoe box size harvest is good for my needs but i like the idea of less daily fuss in a larger bin. :mushroom2::crazy2:

Also haven't had any mushrooms in 10 years, just a couple low 1.5g doses

OfflineJMewes_13
Learning to waddle, then walk
Male

#26444713 - 01/21/20 01:43 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Are the plastic mason jar lids with seals safe for sterilization in a pressure cooker?

As I write this I'm questioning everything on this.

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: JMewes_13]
    #26445156 - 01/21/20 10:13 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

JMewes_13 said:
Are the plastic mason jar lids with seals safe for sterilization in a pressure cooker?

As I write this I'm questioning everything on this.

Not sure, something to check in the item details.

Got my spores today and 4 shoe box containers.
Made up my grain and jars (4 all grain, 4 1:2 verm)
Spent some time stressing about the lid tech i wanted but went as planned with 2 1/8 or so holes covered with medical tape.
I guess it should be ok to retape over after the needle puts a hole in it.

Got 4 jars in the PC now, gonna make the SEB tomorrow and shoot em up :cool:

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

#26446211 - 01/22/20 01:54 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Made my SAB with a large old can on the stove for 4 minutes.
Had enough heat to cut both holes, slight pressure and rotation and it cut through easily.

Sprayed everything clean with iso and dipped and flamed the needle between jars. Hopefully no contams!
Put 2 in the locker and 6 in my closet.

Offlinemeercat
Basically Walter Mitty

#26446271 - 01/22/20 02:21 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

looks like you're definitely doing your research. Couple suggestions:

1. Light is always helpful at all stages so keep some light on those jars.

2. I LOVE plastic jar lids. They PC very well and don't get nasty like the metal ones eventually do.

3. You should really look into agar, it saves a ton of time and frustration with the long germination times on grains and removes most of the guesswork from syringe inoculation.

a media bottle, premade agar powder, and some petri dishes and you're well on your way.

Good luck with the grow, come back with pics!

--------------------

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: meercat]
    #26450028 - 01/24/20 03:27 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

meercat said:
looks like you're definitely doing your research. Couple suggestions:

1. Light is always helpful at all stages so keep some light on those jars.

2. I LOVE plastic jar lids. They PC very well and don't get nasty like the metal ones eventually do.

3. You should really look into agar, it saves a ton of time and frustration with the long germination times on grains and removes most of the guesswork from syringe inoculation.

a media bottle, premade agar powder, and some petri dishes and you're well on your way.

Good luck with the grow, come back with pics!

Thanks, I just moved all the jars to the locker and will leave the door open. watching the temp closely and its the coldest in the closet around 67-68. Will try keeping the locker around 75.

Invisiblestaytrippy420

Loc: Canada Flag
    #26450659 - 01/24/20 09:39 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: staytrippy420]
    #26453647 - 01/26/20 04:23 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I tend to pick up new hobbies and spend a little too much and lose interest, Like with my beer brewing.
I'm trying not to go too crazy but getting that exciting ocd  feeling thinking about a new hobby again. Was about to buy the 500pk petri dish because it seems like the only deals are 20-30 for 50cents each or 500 for 15 cents each but then i came across Alien's no pour tek and these containers seem like they may save some time compared to regular petri dishes so i'm trying both.

Hopefully the 20pk petri will hold me over till the other containers get here.
All the stuff to start agar should be here by friday (non prime member :frown: ) I figure i'll sterilize a few q-tips jarred in the PC and use the spore syringe without the needle, get a few drops, swab and put the syringe cap back on for later use.
If i start 2 strains on 2 dishes each i should have enough plates to make a few transfers and start dropping wedges into grain jars.

Edited by C12ShroomMan (01/26/20 04:24 PM)

Offlinemeercat
Basically Walter Mitty

#26453687 - 01/26/20 04:45 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

C12ShroomMan said:
I tend to pick up new hobbies and spend a little too much and lose interest, Like with my beer brewing.
I'm trying not to go too crazy but getting that exciting ocd  feeling thinking about a new hobby again. Was about to buy the 500pk petri dish because it seems like the only deals are 20-30 for 50cents each or 500 for 15 cents each but then i came across Alien's no pour tek and these containers seem like they may save some time compared to regular petri dishes so i'm trying both.

Hopefully the 20pk petri will hold me over till the other containers get here.
All the stuff to start agar should be here by friday (non prime member :frown: ) I figure i'll sterilize a few q-tips jarred in the PC and use the spore syringe without the needle, get a few drops, swab and put the syringe cap back on for later use.
If i start 2 strains on 2 dishes each i should have enough plates to make a few transfers and start dropping wedges into grain jars.

Totally get the hobby thing, you start out and find it really interesting and want all the best toys only to not be instantly good at it and get frustrated. Been there for sure.

For inoculating plates theoretically you should use an inoculation loop to get the best results.

Bod has a great DIY inoculation loop tek here. I just bought one cuz i'm lazy. His comprehensive agar tek is also worth a readhere. You don't necessarily need a loop to do plates but I would recommend against using q-tips because idk how you would get those completely sterile. You can just drop a few spores on the surface of the plate after flaming the needle and you should have success.

--------------------

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: meercat]
    #26457098 - 01/28/20 05:40 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Made a loop and will be using it tonight.
Amazon actually shipped my order quick this time!
Not sure if they repacked these petri dishes into 10 packs *sterile* like the add say for a 20pk.
Either way i made up my first batch of agar with malt extract... just now realizing i forgot to add the yeast.
Moved my SAB to the basement so my cats can't play with it.
Poured my first plates, i knew just enough to coat the bottom but put way too much in the first few. I let it cool a little too long and started to get blobby at the end, also tried to level out the full plates and made some mess :blush:

Gonna go down and swab a couple after dinner and wrap the rest.
maybe i should of just ordered that 500pk ... ha

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

#26474045 - 02/07/20 04:29 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Little over 2 weeks on the jars, see nothing yet
8 days on the plates, nothing either.
even looked under a microscope at 4x at a couple spots i thought might be something but just small weird dots on agar.

squirted too much out of syringe as i couldn't pressure it properly but one is better than the other. one with a tiny bit of liquid.

also not sure if my agar was too firm, temps kinda low around 68.
just added a cfl light today

Offlinecattledog
Dog

Loc: Canada Flag
    #26474434 - 02/07/20 08:29 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

That seems like a while for the spores to germinate. From personal experience mycelium (or something else) appears on agar in at most 6 days. Maybe the spore syringes you got were from an unrepeatable source and didn't contain the spores.

--------------------
Teks 4 Success

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: cattledog]
    #26474703 - 02/07/20 11:05 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cattledog said:
Quote:

That seems like a while for the spores to germinate. From personal experience mycelium (or something else) appears on agar in at most 6 days. Maybe the spore syringes you got were from an unrepeatable source and didn't contain the spores.

Looked closer at both plates and can see 3 black dots by eye on one and under 40x do look like spores. looking closer at the syringes they maybe a little sparse on spores and there is some clumping being contained by transparent film that's making it hard to break apart when i shake it.

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

#26474717 - 02/07/20 11:19 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

You are off to a far better start than I had the first time. It took about 6 weeks to get everything running smoothly for me. Lots of adjustments that really helped.

I think your research is good from a beginner like mes point of view. I just did 10 jars in a PC I am worried the verm is bouncing around since I PCed them for 60 minutes. I am still waiting to see if they go. The room idea is a good one! I am using heating pads and fish heaters. They do not scale well now that I have moved on to agar, prints and making my own syringes. Those are also a work in progress but a lot of combinations. With that effort as you print and close track there characteristics since you have so many different types. Cleanliness and patience seem to be the two most important aspects. The mushrooms will tell you what is going on by looking at them and the surface. I got all that information on this site over the last two months. Good luck!

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: Looking for some guideance on my first grow [Re: Yumyumyumyum]
    #26475450 - 02/08/20 02:59 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Thanks, I spent another few hours looking at my plates under microscope, looking google images for germinating spores, etc
I'm not too experienced with the microscope either.
Kinda think i see the small hyphae tubes but not really branching and connecting a lot.

Also looked at others spore syringe pictures and mine looked to contain less than any of them, maybe thats why they were 6$ ea

I don't think the 'single drop' from syringe on a loop method would work for me. Would rather work with prints i think.
For long term i'm not sure why i would want to make syringes.

Figured agar plates ,slants, and doing G2G could sustain a long term grow cycle, am i wrong?

Also wondering if G2G can be sustained indefinitely as long as no contamination?

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

#26487209 - 02/15/20 04:51 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

still nothing, at least i know i'm working clean enough or my agar is too fuked to grow bacteria....

Found the syringe that seems to have the most 'stuff' in it ('pf classic') and use it to drop out a few ml onto a plate that i was sure had some material in it.
From there i used a loop and wipe transferred from that plate to 3 more... hopefully something made it over.

I leave in 2 weeks so it would be nice to see any kind of progress before then 0_0

Edited by C12ShroomMan (02/15/20 04:53 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Microscope, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started