Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
New study identifies mechanism causing THC-induced intrauterine growth restriction
    #26439188 - 01/17/20 07:48 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-57318-6

Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol exposure during rat pregnancy leads to symmetrical fetal growth restriction and labyrinth-specific vascular defects in the placenta
Quote:

1 in 5 women report cannabis use during pregnancy, with nausea cited as their primary motivation. Studies show that (-)-△9–tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), the major psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, causes fetal growth restriction, though the mechanisms are not well understood. Given the critical role of the placenta to transfer oxygen and nutrients from mother, to the fetus, any compromise in the development of fetal-placental circulation significantly affects maternal-fetal exchange and thereby, fetal growth. The goal of this study was to examine, in rats, the impact of maternal Δ9-THC exposure on fetal development, neonatal outcomes, and placental development. Dams received a daily intraperitoneal injection (i.p.) of vehicle control or Δ9-THC (3 mg/kg) from embryonic (E)6.5 through 22. Dams were allowed to deliver normally to measure pregnancy and neonatal outcomes, with a subset sacrificed at E19.5 for placenta assessment via immunohistochemistry and qPCR. Gestational Δ9-THC exposure resulted in pups born with symmetrical fetal growth restriction, with catch up growth by post-natal day (PND)21. During pregnancy there were no changes to maternal food intake, maternal weight gain, litter size, or gestational length. E19.5 placentas from Δ9-THC-exposed pregnancies exhibited a phenotype characterized by increased labyrinth area, reduced Epcam expression (marker of labyrinth trophoblast progenitors), altered maternal blood space, decreased fetal capillary area and an increased recruitment of pericytes with greater collagen deposition, when compared to vehicle controls. Further, at E19.5 labyrinth trophoblast had reduced glucose transporter 1 (GLUT1) and glucocorticoid receptor (GR) expression in response to Δ9-THC exposure. In conclusion, maternal exposure to Δ9-THC effectively compromised fetal growth, which may be a result of the adversely affected labyrinth zone development. These findings implicate GLUT1 as a Δ9-THC target and provide a potential mechanism for the fetal growth restriction observed in women who use cannabis during pregnancy.

The doses they exposed these rats to are theoretically equivalent to 204mg of THC per day for a 150lb woman. To ingest that much marijuana you have to be using nearly a gram or more every day during critical pregnancy periods. I'd say it's probably a dose-response curve kind of thing as with all of the other known teratogens. Have a cigarette or two, probably no big deal. Take two tokes to stop yourself from throwing up a few times? Probably not a big deal. But everyone has to make their own choices, and remember that the decisions you make during a pregnancy that you choose to carry to term could affect someone else's life forever.

Also:

1) In this study the THC was injected into the peritoneal cavity. Probably still valid though

2) "Δ9-THC treatment was initiated at E6.5 in this design since administration of the drug at earlier stages of pregnancy can induce spontaneous abortions"

So just like many other teratogens if you're using them regularly your pregnancy may fail before it really takes off anyway

Edited by morrowasted (01/17/20 07:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: New study identifies mechanism causing THC-induced intrauterine growth restriction [Re: morrowasted] * 1
    #26439378 - 01/17/20 10:31 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I was thinking pretty much all the same things as I was reading it.

In fact, it could be equivalent to an even larger dose than posited...as other RoA won't deliver 100% of the THC to the bloodstream like an injection will...and this dose is delivered all at once and every single day for almost the entire fucking gestation period. Put 200mg in a brownie and even the most seasoned pothead is going to be put on his ass for half the day...it would have many people visiting the ER, and thats just fucking eating it with slower absorption and lower BA, not injecting it.

And as you said, it probably wouldn't make a difference, but they were basically injecting it into their torso, passed the abdominal wall.

Oh, and they are fucking rats.

Obviously you shouldn't be smoking pot while pregnant, and its obviously not a good idea to get super stoned or wake n' bake everyday...but in reality I doubt light use is any more harmful than the cup of coffee or especially occasional glass of wine consumed by many pregnant women nowadays.

And if it comes down to medicating, I imagine moderate cannabis use is a far better option then either putting stress on the pregnancy by leaving whatever condition requires it untreated or turning to far riskier pharmaceuticals...but of course the medical establishment has no problem at all telling pregnant women to take prescription medicine that we truly have NO IDEA of its affects on pregnancy or know its risky and possibly damaging but justified(and many times it is). I mean, they will prescribe opiates and benzos to pregnant women. They tell former addicts on methadone or bupe to KEEP taking it, not stop.

While personally I don't think you should consume while pregnant...I'm going to need to see more research than a study showing that if you inject rats in the torso with ridiculous amounts of THC every single day of the gestation period....there's no telling how much doses like that affected their activity levels/sleep patterns, the affects clearly aren't limited to the influence on the endometrial ECS...their pups come out slightly smaller but are caught up to the control group in 3 weeks, to really convince me that light cannabis use during pregnancy is dangerous.

But I really get a kick out of the same people who gave us Thalidomide trying to convince us of the risks of treating morning sickness with cannabis.

Edited by Holybullshit (01/17/20 10:51 PM)

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Re: New study identifies mechanism causing THC-induced intrauterine growth restriction [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26439788 - 01/18/20 07:36 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

And if it comes down to medicating, I imagine moderate cannabis use is a far better option then either putting stress on the pregnancy by leaving whatever condition requires it untreated or turning to far riskier pharmaceuticals

Yeah I can definitely see this being a legitimate treatment for hyperemesis gravidarum, which is almost certainly more likely to cause IUGR than THC due to simply making calories unavailable to both mother and baby.

Quote:

But I really get a kick out of the same people who gave us Thalidomide trying to convince us of the risks of treating morning sickness with cannabis.

I honestly don't believe there is an agenda here, and it's a fallacy to think of all scientific researchers as a sort of unified hive-mind. just like labeling the entire government as "them". it gets in the way of actual analysis of the data. There are certainly some legitimate reasons to question the applicability of this study to humans- the dose, RoA, and species, most importantly- but the fact that some other scientists unwittingly developed a teratogenic drug in the past isn't one of them.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: New study identifies mechanism causing THC-induced intrauterine growth restriction [Re: morrowasted]
    #26441360 - 01/19/20 09:04 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

You aren't wrong, but I just don't trust the medical establishment in general. I don't believe it's monolithic or operates with an agenda in extenso; although certain bad actors, organizations, and corporate interests certainly do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against science and definitely not the scientific method or against western medicine.

But, there does exist a huge amount of both innate and institutional bias within it, bias which begins being reinforced in medical school and even grad school, in the way doctors and researchers are trained and educated, and it certainly leads to group think.

And this prevents research from being carried out and more importantly presented in good faith...allowing those with an agenda to twist it to their own purposes. And I don't think researches spend enough time and effort thinking about this, after all they are trained not to, and to just present "facts". They are at best willfully blind to the way their "data and analysis" will be used(and often perfectly happy to be a cog in the propaganda machine).

So you end up with data that doesn't actually translate to the real world, that doesn't have anything to do with the way these substances are used and function in reality, being spread as propaganda...and the medical establishment doesn't push back on this, they are content to allow it to happen as long as they believe it is in their own best interests as they perpetually try to avoid controversy or take any action which could hamper their own careers or affect funding.

And with thalidomide, it's development wasn't the issue...it was that doctors prescribed it off label for conditions it had never been intended for, to populations it had never been trialed on...when a slew of other treatments already existed, treatments that weren't produced and sold by pharma companies, treatments that were at best ignored by the medical establishment(I wonder why) and at worst admonished by western medicine, that were known to be safe for the same condition.

But I guess it was more important that they provided the treatment, that the cure arose from within the industry, and be dispensed by their all powerful pads...it seems far too often that this is the #1 priority for doctors, and why wouldn't it be, that's how they are trained to operate.

Edited by Holybullshit (01/19/20 09:29 AM)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Re: New study identifies mechanism causing THC-induced intrauterine growth restriction [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26443023 - 01/20/20 11:39 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

A gram a day ain't shit, the average recreational user ingest that much easily.

Edit: I trust the medical establishment as far as I can throw'em, I've seen some crooked shit and it's even worse when they are in cahoots with the Pharmaceutical industry.

I can remember when doctors received kickbacks for the scripts they wrote, everyone else had osteoporosis and had to take supplements.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Edited by Doc9151 (01/20/20 11:44 AM)

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: New study identifies mechanism causing THC-induced intrauterine growth restriction [Re: Doc9151] * 1
    #26444526 - 01/21/20 09:38 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I would hardly say that a gram a day of high potency cannabis ain't shit...just because you and your friends are a bunch of pot heads with high tolerances who continue to keep puffing long after getting high doesn't mean you should apply your experiences to others.

I think sometimes social smokers have a hard time gauging just how much weed they are consuming and how much weed they could be consuming. Yeah you can go through a lot of weed in a group, as people keep smoking long after they are stoned, and you are rolling up/packing up the next one before your high ever wears off...but you'd be amazed at how little weed it takes to get high when you are by yourself, employ a semi-efficient method of ingestion, aren't rolling out of bed and taking bong rips, and wait until your buzz is gone before smoking again.

If you are he kind of person who smokes weed like it were cigarettes,  smokes out of habit, or doesn't wait for your high to fade before lighting up again, and this has left you with a monster tolerance...you can't really apply your experiences to the "average" user.

Now I don't know what you consider high potency, for most people who have a moderate tolerance 2-3 tokes of high potency cannabis is all it takes to get high, maybe not completely stoned but way more than a buzz...for cannabis naive individuals one rip will do. Even if they were to get high again 3-4 hours later a gram of good shit could last multiple days.

But more importantly smoked cannabis has a THC bioavailability of ~30%...and here it's being injected all at once....you are going to tell me 3.5 grams worth of high potency cannabis' THC being injected all at once(not over a few hours, or over the course of a day) "ain't shit"?

--------------------

Let's put it this way, 100mg of oral THC is considered an extreme dose...which can put seasoned potheads on the floor and will have many others visiting the ER. Oral THC only has a bioavailability of 10-20% and enters the bloodstream slowly allowing a large amount of be sequestered in the spleen and body fat...compared to the 100% BA of an injection which will be able to more quickl and uniformly spread throughout the body.

There really isn't a way to compare the dose the rats were receiving to human use...this is one of those, let's give the rats massive fucking doses and see what happens so if any possible harm comes from it, we will know where/how and where to focus our attention in the future.

Experiments of this nature are generally meant to elucidate any possible mechanisms of harm from cannabis use in the gestation period, for further study, and doesn't have many(if any) implications for light use by humans during gestation...but it won't be used that way by the powers that be, they will pass it off as solid proof of how dangerous cannabis is.

Edited by Holybullshit (01/21/20 10:12 AM)

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#26444946 - 01/21/20 06:45 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Experiments of this nature are generally meant to elucidate any possible mechanisms of harm from cannabis use in the gestation period, for further study,

Hence the thread title :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder