Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip'
    #26436986 - 01/16/20 03:15 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Something I have a hard time with is managing my cannabis usage. I can't seem to decide whether or not it is a net positive or negative when I use it habitually. I get experienced enough and a big enough tolerance that I can still function, stay healthy, talk to people, work, etc., but I simultaneously know that if I wasn't baked all the time I would be much higher functioning. But then it's hard to tell if the higher functioning is worth getting rid of the calming, relaxing effects of using weed. So I go back and forth on what's important in life.

An idea I have is trying to maintain a very low tolerance, then using strong herb or concentrate to get a very high dose of THC, then just enjoying that for a night or afternoon where I don't have much going on. At the same time, maybe the effects of a mega dose aren't nearly as fun when you have no tolerance.

At any rate, I've never met anybody in real life who carefully manages cannabis usage like that. They all either will only smoke begrudgingly or if pressured, in the case of people who have little to no tolerance, or they will already be smoking enough to not get super messed up off of it.

What's your history with managing personal use of weed? And if you've ever taken a long tolerance break and then done, say, a ton of quality dabs or a few quality joints or some strong edibles (what I would usually do to get where I want after smoking daily for weeks), what happened?

Obviously I'll have to wait and see for myself, but I really enjoy hearing stories about high THC doses without tolerance. Some very psychedelic stuff tends to be reported, especially by nonsmokers. Perhaps smoking all of the time gives you a lesser appreciation for the plant.

Edited by jdawg333 (01/16/20 03:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKorean Jesus
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: jdawg333]
    #26437001 - 01/16/20 03:22 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I noticed myself getting hooked and so I haven't smoked in around a week. Gonna moderate my smoking going forward. Cravings go away after a few days, I'm still a young adult so I'm not tryna fuck up my memory by smoking all the time. If you're already >25 there's less risk to being baked whenever you want, and simply cutting it off when you need to function at a higher level. But some research shows that for chronic smokers, it takes up to 30 days to restore short term memory to that of someone who never smoked. If you wanna smoke everyday just do it once a day instead of all day, or else you will get super hooked and feel very shitty when you need to stop.

Pyschs have brought my brain to a level closer to tripping at all times. I get afterimages from all sources of light when I close my eyes and I get visual snow in the dark. I imagine images much more vividly and "random" (I can almost always figure out why that image appeared if I think about it) images appear in my head when I close my eyes and think, especially as I'm going in and out of sleep. So weed does tend to bring me to a pyschedelic state just by inebriating me a bit more.

--------------------
:rastamon::getstoned::rastamon:

Edited by Korean Jesus (01/16/20 03:32 PM)

Offlinefeldman114
Stragler

Loc: Bravos
    #26437010 - 01/16/20 03:26 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I made that mistake after almost a year-long break. Took 3 huge bong rips. 2 min later I stood up off my chair and went blind for a solid 3-4 min. Not blurry vision but total darkness. Once that passed it was awesome for like an hour. Than I felt so burnt out that I didn’t undress for bed, just fell asleep on the couch without moving a muscle.

In hindsight, if I knew what was coming, it could have been hella enjoyable. But the vision loss freaked me the fuck out and the accompanying paranoia persisted until the next day.

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: feldman114]
    #26437025 - 01/16/20 03:35 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Frickin’ Old stool, brother 👍🏻

Been there. Been a stoner for 20 years. Only had a few enforced breaks, like working abroad for a few months and stuff like that. But apart from that rarely don’t smoke. So when I have returned from a long break, wow it’s like the good ol’ Days!

Mush love

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: Korean Jesus]
    #26437026 - 01/16/20 03:35 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

feldman114 said:
I made that mistake after almost a year-long break. Took 3 huge bong rips. 2 min later I stood up off my chair and went blind for a solid 3-4 min. Not blurry vision but total darkness

Go big or go home!
Quote:

Korean Jesus said:
But some research shows that for chronic smokers, it takes up to 30 days to restore short term memory to that of someone who never smoked.

That's a little scary, but completely understandable. Every time I take a break from smoking after heavy binging, it feels as though I'm waking up from a coma. Feel like a different person, poor memory of the times I had been high, and scariest part is I start to notice just how bad my short term memory is in the week or so after cutting it out. When I'm high, I think I just don't even notice how terrible my memory is which makes me really wonder what goes on in my brain half the time I'm stoned.
Quote:

Pyschs have brought by brain to a level closer to tripping at all times (I get afterimages from all sources of light when I close my eyes & visual snow in the dark, and I imagine images much more vividly)

I can never tell if I get minor 'visuals' from time to time or if those types of artifacts are just always present, you just don't notice it unless you know where to look. Sometimes if I look closely at the area around a bright light I will see the field of light 'crawl' a little as though I were tripping, but I have a feeling light just messes with our eyes and brain sometimes.

Edited by jdawg333 (01/16/20 03:36 PM)

OfflineKorean Jesus
Male User Gallery

#26437034 - 01/16/20 03:41 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I'm pretty sure 90%+ of pysch users (at least acid users) have some level of HPPD and are in denial or don't notice it because the effects are so small. The only people who get diagnosed are people with symptoms that are apparent when you're not looking for them and that interfere with normal activities.

Unpopular opinion here though :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

#26437042 - 01/16/20 03:45 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Personally, I can't maintain moderate usage. Once you get about 10 days out, 30 days is no problem. But I can attest that my short term memory definitely takes at least 3 weeks to totally return.

As far as zero tolerance smoking, for me I only need like 2 or 3 low strength sessions before I can go back to smoking like normal. Granted I'm totally wasted out of my mind for at least a week, and definitely not ok to drive or go to work. But I personally didn't have any paranoia issues or anything when I went back to smoking after a year break. Honestly, overall I find my emotions more predictable when I don't smoke at all. I don't feel the need to smoke to stay calm and chilled.

But that's just me. Weed is definitely different for everyone

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #26437047 - 01/16/20 03:47 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Also meant to mention, when I have had an enforced break, the first two to three weeks are filled with real dark depression, and an inability to eat a full meal! Oh and getting to sleep sucks.

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
    #26437048 - 01/16/20 03:48 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

It's just hard for me to think of it as HPPD because I remember playing tricks on my eyes using light sources and massive views and staring at objects as a kid. Stuff like staring at something, focusing only with your mind on something else in the corner of your eye, and using focus to make the other thing disappear. Halos and rings from the light hitting your eyelashes right. The stuff I get now that I would call HPPD is more or less on the same level as that, if not less interesting.

I do think a heavy enough trip will change a person significantly enough that even if there are now artifacts of the trip in everyday thinking or seeing or hearing, they won't notice because of how far in the past the time before tripping feels once you've done a really good dose. So I guess HPPD is something that will always be contested.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: jdawg333] * 1
    #26437065 - 01/16/20 03:59 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jdawg333 said:
An idea I have is trying to maintain a very low tolerance, then using strong herb or concentrate to get a very high dose of THC, then just enjoying that for a night or afternoon where I don't have much going on. At the same time, maybe the effects of a mega dose aren't nearly as fun when you have no tolerance.

Personally...I don't enjoy "mega" doses of cannabis/THC. Sometimes I am looking to get as stoned as possible like that, but generally speaking large doses of cannabis are not all that enjoyable for me (and most folks). Mega doses of cannabis can get quite intense and very "serious" for some people lol, or one just falls asleep  lol....

But I've heard some folks do work with cannabis like that, basically using cannabis as a psychedelic and specifically for getting really far "out there"...They don't smoke often, but when they do they usually smoke and/or eat large amounts of hash and it is basically a full on trip for them.

Quote:

What's your history with managing personal use of weed? And if you've ever taken a long tolerance break and then done, say, a ton of quality dabs or a few quality joints or some strong edibles....

Perhaps smoking all of the time gives you a lesser appreciation for the plant.

I've kept my intake pretty consistent and in moderation for over a decade now. I've smoked the same amounts around the same time each day for years now.

I've been smoking daily for about 10 years now. For around 6 to 7 years I was only smoking about 0.1g to 0.25g a day, I was smoking daily but not large amounts.

Over the past 2 years or so I'm smoking a bit more....about 1g a day. I smoke daily but not all day, and usually not until the afternoon/evening around dinner & bed time.

I've never taken a break specifically for tolerance...I actually enjoy having some tolerance. With out tolerance I become super high and become couch locked and annihilated, with the tolerance I have I can smoke and still remain "functional".

Day to day I'm not using the herb to get as stoned as I possibly can, I take a few tokes in the afternoon/evening and before bed and that's it...I have no need or desire to take a tolerance break.

Working with cannabis isn't all about getting stoned/high for me. At times it certainly is (parties/celebrations, gatherings with friends, when I'm sick or have a migraine, etc etc), but my day to day use of the herb isn't like that.

I don't think smoking regularly gives one "less appreciation" for the plant...but considering tolerance builds so rapidly with cannabis, I would say folks that smoke regularly and have tolerance certainly miss out on the "full potential" the plant has in regards to how psychedelic and dissociative it can actually be....With little or no tolerance, cannabis can be quite powerful for sure :yesnod: .

Just depends on why you work with the plant and what you're looking for :shrug: .

Myself...There's only a few occasions through out a year where I am trying to get really stoned out of my gourd. Day to day I just like a trickle of cannabinoids going through my system, I like to smoke and enjoy my herb with out becoming totally stoned. So I prefer to have tolerance.

-OM

--------------------

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: DJ Ed]
    #26437081 - 01/16/20 04:07 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DJ Ed said:
Also meant to mention, when I have had an enforced break, the first two to three weeks are filled with real dark depression, and an inability to eat a full meal! Oh and getting to sleep sucks.

Yeah, sounds like you need to just make a choice. Quit or keep on doing what you are doing. This is pretty common, but every time you fall off the wagon you have to start over.

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: openmind]
    #26437105 - 01/16/20 04:18 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
Myself...There's only a few occasions through out a year where I am trying to get really stoned out of my gourd. Day to day I just like a trickle of cannabinoids going through my system, I like to smoke and enjoy my herb with out becoming totally stoned. So I prefer to have tolerance.

A trickle of cannabinoids sounds pretty good right now... :pipesmoke:

I do think that my heavy usage may be a case of 'chasing the dragon'. Trying to get to the point where I experience the alleged psychedelic effects of the drug out of boredom, while simultaneously having built up such a tolerance that the experience I'm after is impossible. Can't get the past back, though. This is probably the case with any drug when somebody has this kind of mindset, even psychedelics.

I think one of the reasons many smokers are unable to manage their usage of cannabis is because they're trying to do what you said, openmind. Just get a trickle going. However, my theory is that in illegal states the quality of weed is so variable that people end up just getting confused about what that trickle is. I would too, if you could smoke an eighth one night and not get nearly as high as a bowl of dank the next. Or they get a really good bag, then end up going through several shitty bags only because they want that same high. I think people end up confused. All the more reason for legalization.

Offlinedk-1
    #26437112 - 01/16/20 04:25 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Korean Jesus said:
I noticed myself getting hooked and so I haven't smoked in around a week. Gonna moderate my smoking going forward. Cravings go away after a few days, I'm still a young adult so I'm not tryna fuck up my memory by smoking all the time. If you're already >25 there's less risk to being baked whenever you want, and simply cutting it off when you need to function at a higher level. But some research shows that for chronic smokers, it takes up to 30 days to restore short term memory to that of someone who never smoked. If you wanna smoke everyday just do it once a day instead of all day, or else you will get super hooked and feel very shitty when you need to stop.

Pyschs have brought my brain to a level closer to tripping at all times. I get afterimages from all sources of light when I close my eyes and I get visual snow in the dark. I imagine images much more vividly and "random" (I can almost always figure out why that image appeared if I think about it) images appear in my head when I close my eyes and think, especially as I'm going in and out of sleep. So weed does tend to bring me to a pyschedelic state just by inebriating me a bit more.

Why do you think those are HPPD symptoms though? I've felt that way before too, but when I really think about it I've always had similar phenomena to the ones you described. It's hard to know whether or not you're just projecting your anxieties about overuse onto your experiences... It could also be caused by current drug use, you don't really know if it's HPPD unless you've been sober for at least a few months. And even then, you don't know it's HPPD until you've ruled out any other possible neurological/psychological causes.

OfflineSabnock
Be Your Own Shaman
Male

Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: feldman114]
    #26437131 - 01/16/20 04:43 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Oral DMT. Been smoking Cannabis daily for 10 years, can't do it anymore unless i wanna have a Psychedelic experience because that's all Cannabis does for me now. Idk what about oral DMT or the MAO-A inhibition seems to reduce tolerance and bring out Cannabis' Psychedelics properties, but it does, imo/ime.

--------------------

OfflineKorean Jesus
Male User Gallery

Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: dk-1]
    #26437135 - 01/16/20 04:45 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dk-1 said:
Quote:

Korean Jesus said:

Why do you think those are HPPD symptoms though? I've felt that way before too, but when I really think about it I've always had similar phenomena to the ones you described. It's hard to know whether or not you're just projecting your anxieties about overuse onto your experiences... It could also be caused by current drug use, you don't really know if it's HPPD unless you've been sober for at least a few months. And even then, you don't know it's HPPD until you've ruled out any other possible neurological/psychological causes.

Idk. I don't think it's my anxieties, as I think I've come to terms with it. Although I was definitely more anxious when it started.
It could definitely be weed, the longest break I took was a little over two weeks and the symptoms did go down slowly, but as soon as I started smoking semi-regularly again they came back. Honestly, even if it's only triggered by cannabis usage, cannabis never caused it before so I'd still consider it HPPD. But I have my doubts that I would fully return to normal even without smoking at all. Not that it really matters at the end of the day...

Something that convinces me that something changed in my brain are my mathematical abilities. I've always been good at math except for geometry; I just couldn't imagine shapes in my head and manipulate them, and my spatial memory is quite poor. In my math classes now though, I find it possible for me to manipulate complex 3d shapes in my head. Could be practice, could be aging, idk... but the preponderance of evidence points towards psychedelics at least having some effect on my brain.

--------------------

OfflineEclipse3130
Servant of the Fungi
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #26437153 - 01/16/20 04:59 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Either all in or none at all for me. It's an addiction and I go through some pretty heavy withdrawal every time I quit.

I am taking probably a 5 year break now, it just makes me feel weak all the time, and my sleep and appetite turns into shit over time. I've taken long year plus breaks before but this time is either 5 years or for good. I just simply do not need cannabis in my life. It gives me NO BENEFIT what so ever, actually only gives me negatives, it is a drug addiction to me. My girlfriend has been addicted to 7 years and she simply cannot quit without serious help, so she's going to narcotics anonymous

It's not "just weed" anymore.. we are breeding high potency, especially when extracted into concentrates it's just drug abuse at that point.

A lot of users are in serious denial of their addiction just like ANY drug you can habitually use

--------------------
"In The Material World One seeks retirement and grows Old
In The Magical World One seeks Enlightenment and grows Wiser
In The Miraculous World One seeks nothing and grows Lighter
As we all tread the Homeward Path we will explore many Realms
And one day... we will all Realize that all experiences are Simply
Different ways in which The
All-That Is
Perceives Itself"

OfflineSabnock
Be Your Own Shaman
Male

Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: Eclipse3130]
    #26437199 - 01/16/20 05:29 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Also wanna mention that usually i just take like 3 to 6 puffs, depending on quality, i usually smoke regular to mid grade bud, rarely have high grade. But 3 puffs is usually my cut off because if i go over that i get "too far out there" and it's super powerful, even with regular bud. I started smoking in 2010, smoked multiple bowls throughout the day everyday, then started realizing after a few years how powerful it had gotten for me so i backed down to a few bowls a day, then after some more time only smoked a few puffs at a time, but would still take 3 puffs here and there throughout the day, then got to smoking 3 puffs like 3 times a day, then once or twice a day, never seemed to build tolerance for it, if anything it started getting stronger the more i used it, but again, i attribute that to my oral DMT consumption. And recently, i took a low low dose of oral DMT using like 1.8 grams of Mimosa root powder in capsules with 300mgs of Moclobemide, and then a few days later got sick with the flu, and ever since anytime i've smoked Cannabis it's been very Psychedelic with definite DMT vibes, i just shouldn't smoke it anymore apparently unless i want to have a Psychedelic experience, thing is, Cannabis now freaks me out more than oral DMT does and that's saying something lol.

--------------------

OfflineSFS96
AstroMan
 User Gallery

Loc: Valleys Of Neptune
Re: Maintaining a low weed tolerance to 'trip' [Re: DJ Ed] * 1
    #26437647 - 01/16/20 10:55 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I didn’t read everything but I say smoke the fuck out of weed if u can handle it. Weed has only brought me blessings and I will probably never stop smoking. I probably smoke about 5-7 grams a day and have no problem functioning. I have no plans of stopping but everyone is different and Iv seen weed cause problems in some and bring greatness to others.

--------------------
How I make and preserve tea

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

OfflineHolyBolete
Mold Slayer
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: USA 🇺🇸
    #26437675 - 01/16/20 11:18 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jdawg333 said:
What's your history with managing personal use of weed? And if you've ever taken a long tolerance break and then done, say, a ton of quality dabs or a few quality joints or some strong edibles (what I would usually do to get where I want after smoking daily for weeks), what happened?

Obviously I'll have to wait and see for myself, but I really enjoy hearing stories about high THC doses without tolerance. Some very psychedelic stuff tends to be reported, especially by nonsmokers. Perhaps smoking all of the time gives you a lesser appreciation for the plant.

Naturally I have a very low tolerance to weed in general.

Smoked all throughout HSchool.. took a break for many years throughout college and work thereafter. Have recently started up again as a weekend or night-time smoker.

What helps me stay off of.. is that every now and then I will intentionally take a high dose edibles
to induce high anxiety which will trickle down
into not wanting to touch the stuff.

Sometimes letting yourself get into a hallucinatory paranoia inducing trip is enough to cut the cravings even for the little toke here and there.

After the said "self induced trip" I start to loath the idea of being too anxious or even the slightest feeling of being high and revert to a completely sober state again for weeks to months.

It also helps to replace one addiction w another as they say.

:goodluck:

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #26437684 - 01/16/20 11:29 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I can't manage my personal use of weed at all. If I have it, I smoke it until it's gone. Sometimes I'll use it even when I know I shouldn't or when I know I have other things to do, or when I just straight up don't want to. The only way I can get off of it is if I completely throw away everything I have (or wait until I run out).

Like some of the other posters, I don't enjoy high dose weed. In fact, the worst part about starting weed again after stopping for a while is the fact that my tolerance is zero. I prefer weed when my tolerance is so high that all I get relaxation and happiness and fun, and very minimal "psychedelic" effects. It's always really shitty whenever I start back up having to rebuild my tolerance. So I wouldn't personally enjoy taking tolerance breaks.

Sometimes I experiment with making the weed unusually difficult to consume. Keeping it in somewhere inconvenient where I have to put in some work to use. My goal with that is to use less, but I'm not sure if it actually works or not.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules