Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGorlax
Male

Mead (Honey Wine) * 1
    #26391663 - 12/19/19 10:50 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

One day I came across a beekeeper selling a tub of raw Arizona desert honey. I thought rebottling it and selling it could net a good profit. It wasn’t much money but the guy was really cool and asked if I planned on making mead it went over my head as I genuinely just wanted the honey. It was delicious!

I got curious one day and a mead kit pops up on amazon. It s a glass gallon jug, a air thing, and yeast. It came with really easy directions.

Pretty much clean/sanitize bottle. Add 3lbs of unpasteurized honey and then boiled distilled water at a certain temp and finally add yeast. I did this and let it sit a month and it came out pretty fucking good. It was pretty sweet tho so getting drunk off it would probably cause a nasty hangover but a glass or two was amazing. Since I have so much honey leftover as I only sold a few bottles. I am going to just make mead with it

I been saving old milk jugs and found a air contraception for them online and follow the same principles. I haven’t filtered my mead but might try. I did add a cinnamon stick to one which was quite good.

Only downside is you need to keep them brewing for quite a while. Anyone else try this out??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineflugelizor
Furious ball of nothing
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western NY
Re: Mead (Honey Wine) [Re: Gorlax]
    #26404497 - 12/28/19 11:11 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, I have been making "Barkshack sparkling Gingermead" since the 1990s.
I highly recommend it.

I have two comments:
Honey ferments out almost 100%, so I am surprised your mead was sweet. Maybe you used so much honey you want past the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.
If you want it drier next time use less honey in the same amount of water.

I have never filtered, If you let it sit for a couple of weeks any solids will settle, and it should clear right up.

Mead ages really well, so let some sit for a year or two if you can.

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Mead (Honey Wine) [Re: flugelizor]
    #26408027 - 12/30/19 03:43 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I followed the recipe exactly and it called for 3lbs of honey. I used a legit scale. Now I'm going to be doing a 5 gallon jug that I rigged up.

You think I need more then 1 pack of yeast? Its the yellow kind for wine.

Offlineflugelizor
Furious ball of nothing
Male User Gallery

#26408325 - 12/30/19 07:13 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

What I was saying is;
Most yeasts stop fermenting sugar when the amount of alcohol gets too high.

According to Beersmith BLOG:
"Most beer yeasts fall into the 8-12% ABV range for alcohol tolerance, though some English ale yeasts go as low as 7% and some high gravity Belgian and ale yeasts can tolerate 15%"

According to Beersmith software your recipe 3 lbs honey in a 1 gallon batch - gives potential ABV=13.5% if the honey was fully fermented out.
And that is why you have a sweet product.
The yeast stopped fermenting and left some sugar.
If you used more water or less honey it would not be as sweet.

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Mead (Honey Wine) [Re: flugelizor]
    #26408423 - 12/30/19 08:21 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah my first batch was 3 lbs of honey. It was really amazing. I got a hydrometer now so I can test the alc percent now.

OfflineNicodArleone
Stranger
    #26410580 - 01/01/20 08:27 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

One package of yeast generally ferments a five gallon batch.

Three pounds of honey per gallon is generally used for a gallon of water. If you want more information try reading "Make Mead like a Viking" by Jereme Zimmerman.

Does anyone know what the PPG for honey is. That will help determine where the sweetness came from if the it reached its alcohol tolerance.

Edited by NicodArleone (01/01/20 08:33 AM)

Offlineflugelizor
Furious ball of nothing
Male User Gallery

Re: Mead (Honey Wine) [Re: NicodArleone]
    #26410967 - 01/01/20 01:33 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

NicodArleone said:

Does anyone know what the PPG for honey is. That will help determine where the sweetness came from if the it reached its alcohol tolerance.

OG of 1 gallon batch with 3 lb honey = 1.083

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Mead (Honey Wine) [Re: NicodArleone]
    #26411753 - 01/02/20 01:05 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I used 3lbs for the 1 gallon. I was still sweet but I def did not let it sit long enough maybe 2 weeks before I got too eager.

Waiting on my batteries for my thermometer. Ne Years fucking up the mail. I got a hydrometer now tho.

My current plan.

I purchased a 5 gallon water jug, drilled an air flow thing into it. Have everything sitting in cleaners and just waiting on batteries for my thermometer. I don't want to do this half ass like my gallon jug.

I will be adding 15lbs of honey (1 gallon=3lbs - 5 gallons =15lbs)

I might stop by my local brewery store and get some of those yeast starters or promoters to get things going.

Before that Ima check this viking book out I actually found out I have a lot of viking in me from ancestry and nobody knew. lol

OfflineNicodArleone
Stranger
    #26411944 - 01/02/20 06:27 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gorlax said:
I might stop by my local brewery store and get some of those yeast starters or promoters to get things going.

If you really want to get into advanced fermenting techniques then take a look at "The Way to Make Wine" by Sheridan Warrick its very informative but a little beyond my expertise.

Quote:

flugelizor said:
Quote:

NicodArleone said:

OG of 1 gallon batch with 3 lb honey = 1.083

This is off topic but has anyone ever found the graph/formula for calculating the gravity of honey or other sugars. I think it parabola. I know you can use beersmith but I would rather do it myself.

Edited by NicodArleone (01/02/20 06:29 AM)

Offlinewubbalubbanubnub
Stranger
Loc: Unda da SEA
    #26426322 - 01/10/20 10:54 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I've been brewing various fruit wines and meads over 10 years. Just thought I'd share a few things I learned the hard way.

Aging is always better! I 'lost' a bottle of apple wine once. I put it in a box during a move and happened upon it about a year and a half later, usually I can't wait that long, but it was the best I've made, and it was definitely not from one of my better recipes which is why I lost it in the first place.

Don't skimp on cheap yeast. There are thousands of kinds depending on what you want as far as flavor and alcohol content. Do a bit of research to see what you want, but I personally don't like much sweetness, so I usually go for something designed for champagne or cuve. They generally have higher alcohol tolerance and don't put off the various 'off' flavors you might get if you let it ferment too long. Plus they generally keep the purity of flavor from your initial fermentation product ie. honey. If you like it sweeter you can always back sweeten by adding honey after the fermentation is complete, or just before if you want it carbonated.

Rack several times. After fermenting has slowed to a stop suck off all the top liquid before the dead yeast and nutrients at the bottom start to flavor your mead. Try to keep air contact as minimal as possible. If you do it 3-4 times it will ensure the final product clears properly and maintains the best of the flavor compounds.

Honey is too expensive where I live now to bother with homemade mead  it would cost nearly as much as the equivalent amount of scotch, be thankful for your bounty of honey!

Best of luck, hope your mead turns out great!

OfflineNicodArleone
Stranger
    #26428978 - 01/12/20 12:01 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gorlax said:

I would recommend using wyeast 4766. it is a mead/cider yeast and comes with all the nutrients you need.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder