Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hot Plate, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemimir
Professional Noob
I'm a teapot
Loc: Europe
New Year seems to be bringing gifts
    #26421438 - 01/07/20 06:25 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Hi!

I've been messing with MS on agar on and off for a year, and I was never sure that what I actually got was mushroom mycelium. I attempted to spawn on grains from agar but it ended up being a disaster, probably because of contamination or the agar wasn't actually mushrooms.
I left for the Christmas holidays with a bunch of plates looking a bit like this:

that I stuck in the fridge. I had transfered just a week before, and I left one of the Petris I had transferred from with no wrapping instead of throwing it away. I also inoculated a potato dextrose LC, just to see what would happen. I started to see the same fuzzy, very weird looking (to me, at least) mycelium that started to colonize the LC. After the Christmas holidays I came back to this:

After one year, I am finally sure I have mushroom mycelium :lol:
At this point I have the LC and 5 clean Petris with the same mycelium that fruited those little beauties. What do you guys think? Should I play it safe and spawn the agar, should I try the LC first? This is my first LC, but I have little to no contamination in my agar so I'm quite confident my technique is good at this point. Still, should I test it before attempting to use it? I inoculated from agar wedge.

I am now reading that the strain that I'm working with (Mazapatec) seems to be a slow colonizer. I don't know how much truth there is to this claim, but it has certainly been a pretty slow process.

Edited by mimir (01/07/20 06:29 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSynKyd
ctrl-alt-delite
Male User Gallery

Loc: ૐ
Re: New Year seems to be bringing gifts [Re: mimir]
    #26421504 - 01/07/20 06:59 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Clone those guys back onto fresh agar and get a clean plate to spawn from.

--------------------

New inclusive poop emojis from Apple!

:shpongle::shpongle::shpongle::shpongle::shpongle:

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Re: New Year seems to be bringing gifts [Re: SynKyd]
    #26421537 - 01/07/20 07:13 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Rad! :whathesaid:

Mazatapec has always performed right on schedule for me. If anything stands out about that variety it would be smaller than average fruits on the first flush, but they come in numbers so don’t sweat it. Clone that pin and grow it out!

InvisibleSpunkyMonkey88
Stranger
Male

Re: New Year seems to be bringing gifts [Re: vc77]
    #26421592 - 01/07/20 07:48 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I think A.K.A. said his Mazatapec was actually insanely fast...

Either way dude you are super close to being able to grow some weight...

Why have you been playing with agar for so long with out spawning any tubs (aside from those failed jars) what kept you from trying it again?

Offlinemimir
Professional Noob
I'm a teapot
Re: New Year seems to be bringing gifts [Re: SpunkyMonkey88]
    #26422284 - 01/08/20 03:40 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SinysterKyd said:
Clone those guys back onto fresh agar and get a clean plate to spawn from.

Yep! I'll definitely clone them, will let you know how it goes!

Quote:

SpunkyMonkey88 said:
I think A.K.A. said his Mazatapec was actually insanely fast...

Either way dude you are super close to being able to grow some weight...

Why have you been playing with agar for so long with out spawning any tubs (aside from those failed jars) what kept you from trying it again?

Mostly I didn't have a big enough pressure cooker. I was working with a 7 liter (6.15 quarts) pc, I only got a Presto 23 quart pc a while ago. On my first try at spawning I had to sterilize 2 half-quart jars at a time (you can imagine how time consuming)

Offlinemimir
Professional Noob
I'm a teapot
Re: New Year seems to be bringing gifts [Re: mimir]
    #26455663 - 01/27/20 07:46 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

A little update on things!
I cloned the mushrooms and to my surprise they gave me very clean plates right away. I will transfer to be safe if I use them in the future, though if things go according to plan I will probably have new clones to work with in a month or so.
I had 5 plates with the same mycelium that fruited in the Petri dish. I spawned around 14 pounds of WBS (just to be safe). I had mostly half-quart jars and a couple of quart jars. I inoculated 4 jars with each Petri dish, and used the LC to inoculate the remaining ones. I tested the LC on agar first, and despite the clumping it looked to be clean. I still kept the agar inoculated jars separated from the others, just in case the LC turned out to be no good. This far they are looking pretty good imho, I'm including some pics:

From agar wedge

From LC

As you can see some of the jars are wrapped with plastic wrap. The lid was very thin and I was afraid stuff would get through. I have been hoarding food jars for months :lol:

The next step are mini monos, I already have 6 plastic tubs (around 20 quarts each), roughly 8 pounds of coco coir and 90 quarts of vermiculite (couldn't find it in smaller quantity).

Edited by mimir (01/27/20 07:51 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hot Plate, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation