Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Pink Floyd, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejupy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Recreation vs meaning
    #26421246 - 01/07/20 04:37 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Hi everyone

I’ve been wondering for a while where do you draw the line between dosing for recreation and seeking a spiritual experience. Back in the day I used to take numerous drugs on a regular basis including trips but never appreciated them.

However, in the last few years I’ve stopped my reckless habits and only used psychedelics focussing on self healing and spiritualism, and to be honest I don’t know why I never saw these substances this way, guessing it was pure naivety.

When tripping, usually I would be at home alone with my wife in the background milling around. I’ve gained a lot from this and absolutely love tripping alone. Recently I’ve found that my routine is a bit stale and started venturing out and dosing with good friends. This includes going to the pub for a few pints and dosing then coming home, or going out to bars and dosing, then going on a walk.

I’ve found I can control anxiety way better after a few beers or gins and enjoy the psychedelic experience in a different way. Also tripping with good friends I trust I’ve found the experience to be very fun, I’m thinking there’s a lot of distractions going out and being with friends which may have an influence, also I’ve found visuals are a lot less intense when out and about.

So this leaves me to ask the question where do you draw the line between recreational dosing and spiritual dosing. You could say going to the pub having a laugh and tripping is recreational, although, these experiences I feel have been very rewarding for my mental wellbeing and have been able to connect with people close to me on another level.

Would love to hear people’s thoughts and preferences.

Cheers!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetrippyfish
Explorer
 User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: jupy]
    #26421280 - 01/07/20 04:53 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Ancient shamanic use of hallucigens usually involved the group setting. It makes sense especially when you are all on the same wave lengths and seeking an enlightening experience - you will lift each other up. I don't really care for tripping alone anymore, it ends up dark a lot of times which never or rarely happens in a group setting

--------------------
"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: jupy] * 2
    #26421322 - 01/07/20 05:12 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

To be honest, and I’m speaking as a 53 year old, not the reckless 20 year old I once was! But I wouldn’t consider drinking before tripping when out in a group setting. I am not criticising you, though; on the contrary, I love a glass of wine or two on the comedown, chatting to my wife, and listening to Pink Floyd.

So what you describe is different to my perception of tripping in a group. To me, you’d all start in a safe place, dose together, then take the evening as it comes; all coming back together at the end of the trip and integrating.

So I guess you’re taking relatively low doses when out in public and drinking? That would make sense, and I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, if you compare that to what many kids do, cocaine and drinking etc, then I would say it was a preferable way to have a night out.

I am NOT advocating that anybody does what I just described, I am saying that I am ok with the recreational use. There are many views on the “recreational” use of psychedelics, but I don’t subscribe to any of the negative ones. I returned to psychedelics three and a half years ago when I came off SSRIs to alleviate my condition, using mushrooms. I am a different person today, but guess what? I’m still taking regular trips. It does so much good, in so many, sometimes unexpected, ways. There is so much to explore. So much to enjoy. Why would you want to stop? As long as you’re sensible over dosage and frequency, you’re not hurting anyone.

But I personally would recommend you save your spiritual trips for high dose, alone, at home, or a safe place. Recreational nights out with the lads drinking, low dose, maybe a nightclub; why the heck not?

Mush love to you, fella
DJ Ed

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

Loc: Underworld
Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: DJ Ed]
    #26421380 - 01/07/20 05:41 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I think intention sets meaning.

But there was a wonderful user on this site who said (and I need to find their original post) that The Recreational and the Spiritual aspects of the experience are inseparable.

(Of course they didn't mean that you take them with the intention of getting as fucked up as possible but, from my experience, the two are one and the same)

--------------------
“What comes true here is that which reflects your true nature. The most secret desire. It is within you. It governs you. Yet you are ignorant of it.”

- Andrei Tarkovsy, Stalker

My First Trip

Offline330ci
the unenlightened =D

Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: Socrateshroom]
    #26421454 - 01/07/20 06:35 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I find myself getting into alot more dangerous situations getting messed up with friends, when i'm alone I focus on myself and usually accompolish more for my own mental well being, but certain trip friends I have definitely bring us on the same wavelength. As said above, I don't think you come off a trip where you don't find some sort of meaning, whether it be how you move forward in relationships, in your own life, or just the general amazement of the experience itself. I use them in lower dosed recreational settings which ultimately blows me away because of the new perspective on life I acquire during the trip and higher doses in more therapeutic style settings which also play a pivotal role in how I make decisions in my professional and personal life.

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: 8a
Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: 330ci]
    #26421530 - 01/07/20 07:07 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Everyone is different, so take my words as my own alone--

From my experience, there is a path unique to each of us that we undertake when we introduce psychedelics into our lives. It is common for the early days to weigh more heavily on the excitement of new perspectives and different ways of perception-- sometimes those experiences are undertaken simply for their own sake-- the fun of the changes.

That was certainly the case for me-- when I was introduced to mushrooms (my first psychedelic) in my 20's it was with my girlfriend and close circle. We would "session" together, to have a great time and saturate ourselves with the joys of color, thought, and emotion together, sharing the experiences of the profound newness together.

There were trips at the beach, at the movies, parties (all low doses mind you) and other places "outside".

They were some of the best times of my life, hands down. There were also some very troubling times caused by that exposure to other people and their "energy" that made the experience dangerous and unpleasant. It is impossible to control what strangers will do, and infinitely more so when under the influence. I learned pretty early that it was not to my taste to go through searching for a barely-friend that had stripped naked and wandered down the road, fearing he would get hit by a car or have the police called.

After time, I began to explore these experiences by myself too, just me and music. I discovered that it was a fundamentally different experience, and opened doors to my consciousness that were simply unavailable when in the company (or with the distractions) of others.

Are they "better"? I can't say so-- because as I changed with life, so too did my expectations, memories, and purposes for tripping.

There is a progression that just happens naturally for each person with these plants-- some people never feel compelled to use them outside of a group-- some people never do at all. Some people do them a coupe of times in their youth and never again, and some (as I presume I will be) begin the path young, and will never find the end because the drive to explore grows year after year.

I do not trip as much as I did when I was young, but I genuinely feel I get "more" from each experience now-- even though I can't quantify exactly why or how except to say that you grow into a place whee you know yourself better over time, and find your unique way of appreciating the conversation with the universe inside you.

All that said, some of those earlier "just for fun" experiences were among the most meaningful events in my life-- and they just couldn't have been so powerful without the incredible love of my girlfriend and intimate friendship with my buddy there.

TL;DR: The meaning is in the eye of the beholder, as is every other element of a psychedelic experience.

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: Socrateshroom] * 1
    #26421556 - 01/07/20 07:23 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Socrateshroom said:

But there was a wonderful user on this site who said (and I need to find their original post) that The Recreational and the Spiritual aspects of the experience are inseparable.

(Of course they didn't mean that you take them with the intention of getting as fucked up as possible but, from my experience, the two are one and the same)

Yeah I agree with that.

The #1 thing to me when I enter a trip experience is to have a good time. I want to have an enjoyable experience. Yes you can learn a lot from the bad experiences, but seriously, who willingly wants a bad experience? Especially if it's LSD, which can last roughly 12 hours?

Every time I trip I aim for an enjoyable experience.

That said, the self reflection, the reflection of life in general, the great introspection psychedelics bring -- that's going to come with it. It's just part of the package when it comes to psychedelics. Which to me is precisely what makes them so great. The reflection and introspection.

So yeah. When I go into a trip I aim for the best of both worlds. A recreational good ole time with waves of self introspection and reflection along the ride.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: Niffla] * 1
    #26421788 - 01/07/20 09:26 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

discovery, pleasure, perspective

--------------------

OfflineVibe_Enthusiast
Mushroom Technician
I'm a teapot

Loc: GPS signal lost.. Flag
Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: redgreenvines] * 2
    #26422403 - 01/08/20 08:23 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

First time I ever took mushrooms, I had zero expectations. Barely even knew about their effects, I just knew they were an hallucinating type of drug. I was about 18 at the time. Went ahead and ate them - it was an amazing experience. I then, started to dose occ with my best friend. No intent, just you and your best friend tripping together. Recreational? Sure. Abusive? Absolutely not.

I feel like we create these lines that we feel like we have to stay within. There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking mushrooms with a good friend/friends and just enjoying yourselves together. Not sure where this stigma came from that you HAVE to be alone or ONLY have internal work. I don't believe this. This is your conciousness - you enjoy it how YOU want.

I've done both. I've done the alone thing in a room (which I really don't care for), I've also done being with a great group of friends or a good friend and tripped which is always an amazing time with great discussion & laughter(a REAL authentic laugh is just as good for the soul as a deep trip IMHO).

Anyway though.. my favorite is going on hikes and hanging in my hammock during my trips.. alone or with one good friend.. usually alone though. I never enjoyed being inside tripping, especially alone. But on a hike surrounded by trees and water.. that's where I want to be.

I don't think there's anything recreational about that, that's me living my life in a different synchronicity with the trees and nature around me -  that's what I enjoy. I also have internal work being done when  I hang in my hammock and think about big picture things.

Whatever you do.. there's no right or wrong way to take them. Everyone will take them for their own desires. Party scenes or whatever may seem like the wrong place to take them, but some people like it. They enjoy it because their conciousness enjoys it. Who are we to cloud someone else's enjoyment?

They grow from the ground. You eat them and it has effects. How you spend your time during you altered state is completely objective - I do think what some people choose to do while taking mushrooms is idotic, but hey they could think the same for how I enjoy dosing.

Drink your water, eat your veggies, be nice to people and trip however the fuck your beautiful soul enjoys.

:cheers:

--------------------
:greyalien:

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: jupy]
    #26422406 - 01/08/20 08:29 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I think its recreational to be spiritual.

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

OfflineEclipse3130
An Infinite Mystery
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: The Mycologist]
    #26422545 - 01/08/20 10:56 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Intentions

--------------------
"In The Material World One seeks retirement and grows Old
In The Magical World One seeks Enlightenment and grows Wiser
In The Miraculous World One seeks nothing and grows Lighter
As we all tread the Homeward Path we will explore many Realms
And one day... we will all Realize that all experiences are Simply
Different ways in which The
All-That Is
Perceives Itself"

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male

#26422731 - 01/08/20 12:51 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Socrateshroom said:

It’s also in the Michael Pollan book, Socrateshroom. As I’ve just finished reading it, not gonna dig it out (just got back from a crappy day at work!). M.P. How To Change Your Mind.

And the person he mentioned recreational use to, absolutely flipped.

Take care,
DJ Ed

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”

Terence McKenna

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male

Re: Recreation vs meaning [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast] * 1
    #26422744 - 01/08/20 12:57 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Hey Vibe_Enthusiast,

Drink your water, eat your veggies, be nice to people and trip however the fuck your beautiful soul enjoys.

Beautiful, man 👊🏻
DJ Ed

--------------------

Terence McKenna

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

#26422787 - 01/08/20 01:16 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DJ Ed said:
Quote:

Socrateshroom said:

It’s also in the Michael Pollan book, Socrateshroom. As I’ve just finished reading it, not gonna dig it out (just got back from a crappy day at work!). M.P. How To Change Your Mind.

And the person he mentioned recreational use to, absolutely flipped.

Take care,
DJ Ed

I'll definitely put it next on my to read list. I have it on my list, just finishing some Ram Dass and Terrence Mckenna books first.

Edit: Also sorry to hear about your crappy day. We here, and your beautiful mushies, love you and hope you have a better second portion of your day!

--------------------
“What comes true here is that which reflects your true nature. The most secret desire. It is within you. It governs you. Yet you are ignorant of it.”

My First Trip

Edited by Socrateshroom (01/08/20 01:40 PM)

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male

#26423118 - 01/08/20 04:56 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Cheers, Socrateshroom, it improved as soon as I logged on 👊🏻

Mush love,
DJ Ed

--------------------

Terence McKenna

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

#26423234 - 01/08/20 06:05 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DJ Ed said:
Cheers, Socrateshroom, it improved as soon as I logged on 👊🏻

Mush love,
DJ Ed

That's why I love this place. Always makes me feel happy!

And here's a beautiful song out of randomness :hehehe:

--------------------

My First Trip

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male

#26424368 - 01/09/20 12:46 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

That’s going on the playlist tomorrow 👊🏻
Mush love,
DJ Ed

--------------------

Terence McKenna

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Pink Floyd, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience