Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years
    #26416060 - 01/04/20 01:36 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years
www.upi.com

A study of over 1 million urine drug tests from across the United States shows soaring rates of use of methamphetamines and fentanyl, often used together in potentially lethal ways.

The drug test results came primarily from clinics dealing with primary care, pain management or substance abuse disorders.

The results showed that between 2013 and 2019, urine samples testing positive for methamphetamine -- "meth" -- have skyrocketed sixfold, from about 1.4 percent of samples testing positive in 2013 to about 8.4 percent in 2019.

Similarly, the percentage of drug urine tests coming back positive for the highly potent -- and sometimes fatal -- opioid fentanyl have more than quadrupled since 2013, the study found. In 2013, just over 1 percent of the urine samples tested positive for fentanyl, but by 2019 that number was nearing 5 percent, said a team led by Dr. Eric Dawson, of Millennium Health in San Diego.

And, too often, fentanyl is being taken in combination with meth or other illicit drugs.

Between 2013 and 2019, the rate at which urine samples testing positive for fentanyl also tested positive for meth rose almost 14-fold, Dawson's group found, and by more than sixfold for cocaine and heroin.

All of this suggests that "methamphetamine-related overdose deaths [especially] may continue to increase," according to the study published online Jan. 3 in JAMA Network Open.

One doctor on the front lines of the epidemic of drug abuse and overdose said the statistics are cause for alarm.

"We are talking about serious and deadly risks -- patients who may stop breathing and suffer heart attacks, strokes or develop bleeding in the brain," said Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency medicine physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.

Even when meth doesn't kill, it can easily ruin lives, he noted.

"Methamphetamine abuse can result in anxiety, insomnia, addiction, mood disturbances, psychosis and violent behavior," Glatter explained. The drug "may also trigger psychotic symptoms including hallucinations, paranoia and delusions. In some cases, psychotic symptoms can persist for months or even years after people have stopped using," he said.

Right now, data from the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse shows that "methamphetamine abuse is most prevalent in the western and midwestern regions of the U.S.," according to Glatter. "Nearly 70 percent of local law enforcement agencies from those areas of the U.S. indicate that methamphetamine is the drug that poses the greatest danger to its citizens."

Add fentanyl to the mix, and risks run even higher.

"Fentanyl is 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine, and consequently may lead to respiratory depression and death," Glatter said, and often "rescue" medications like naloxone won't help.

"Standard doses of naloxone to reverse the respiratory effects of fentanyl are typically ineffective," Glatter said, so "[only] intubation and mechanical ventilation may be lifesaving in the setting of fentanyl overdose."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleONE OZ SLUG
-
Male

Loc: TX
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Ythan]
    #26416243 - 01/04/20 03:59 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I've seen how bad Meth is getting and seeing this article doesn't surprise me. I knew sooner or later an article was going to come out with some statistics showing a sharp rise in Meth. I suspect a Meth Crisis is going to replace the Opioid Crisis in the near future.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: ONE OZ SLUG] * 2
    #26416501 - 01/04/20 06:40 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

The opioid crisis is already what replaced the previous meth crisis. It's a never ending game of musical chairs, with only 1 class of drugs ever finding itself without a seat at a time.

This is largely a result of all the spending to fight drug abuse being used towards criminal enforcement...there aren't enough dollars left over for addiction treatment, PSAs, public education etc. in order to navigate through more than 1 "crisis" at a time; so the same dollars just get reshuffled between whatever drugs are in the public eye at the moment and it turns into a game of whack-a-mole as the most effective strategies to combat drug abuse are the ones which receive the least support.

Edited by Holybullshit (01/04/20 06:41 PM)

OfflineDarwin23
INFJ
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Ythan]
    #26418679 - 01/06/20 02:20 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I saw this coming from a mile away. My whole circle always took Adderall on the East Coast and meth wasn't that common. Having done both, it's clear that there is pretty little difference. As soon as pharmacies started running out of Adderall, I saw what was coming. I've been in Colombia for four months now, but there a noticeable shift in the culture. Normally gas stations empty at three AM had fidgety people tweaking out of their minds. While driving Uber Eats this paranoid dude came flying out of the bushes at me around 3AM one night.

Meth is going to take over in the coming few years.

--------------------

Take a look at my journal

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Darwin23]
    #26418974 - 01/06/20 09:04 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I def don’t think there will be a meth “crisis” just due to how a good chunk of people just aren’t into meth after trying it whether it’s the hangover or whatever. however i do hear about it on this forum a whole lot and while in my area I don’t know of anyone using meth outside of very specific circles (people tend to want coke or molly if it’s a stimulant) and will turn down meth and prolly get weirded out if someone asks them if they wanna try it.

However, adderall use is definitely pretty damn prolific

I remember when candy flipping was all the rage. Now people are fent-spinning.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (01/06/20 09:12 AM)

Offlinetonz0Funguy
Male User Gallery

Loc: 420 yellow brick road
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Fractal420] * 1
    #26419765 - 01/06/20 06:05 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Well sir a Meth crisis has begun and is definitely taking over east coast i've seen a highrise in it the past 2 years and alot of the people that used to do opiates have moved on to meth, people who only did adderall moved on to meth, almost everyone i know has done meth or does it now and Meth psychosis that's a whole other animal. I've tried alot of drugs but this one is a wild horse that is almost impossible to break. Not really my cup of tea. Plus this drug can easily be produced at minimal cost.

--------------------
"The search bar is a oracle"

OfflineSugabearcrisp
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Loc: maybe I had too much, too fast
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: tonz0Funguy]
    #26419826 - 01/06/20 06:52 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Do these numbers include recreational ADHD  med users? I would assume so since amph is amph... right ... lots of black market ritalin n addie that is pressed illicitly along side fent laced counterfeit oxy and xan

--------------------
This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Another pub thread
No crying in OTD
Click

Offlineviraldrome
 User Gallery

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #26421503 - 01/07/20 04:58 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Its an epidemic in Western Canada now too. Helping fuel a wave of property crime in my city

--------------------
Lysergamides I have tried so far: 1P-LSD, 1cP-LSD, ALD-52, AL-LAD, LSZ, ETH-LAD, MIPLA, EIPLA, 1cP-AL-LAD

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: viraldrome]
    #26421518 - 01/07/20 05:04 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Its here also.
Cheap nasty and readily available.
Rural towns are deep in the crisis.

It took a few mates away from me.

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #26427499 - 01/11/20 02:46 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sugabearcrisp said:
Do these numbers include recreational ADHD  med users? I would assume so since amph is amph... right ... lots of black market ritalin n addie that is pressed illicitly along side fent laced counterfeit oxy and xan

No I think just meth shards. but those fake amp pills I’d say aren’t used by many. Those fake presses which seem to be covering all the rx usual suspects (adderall with meth, xanax with flualprazolam, oxy with fentanyl) are a scene of their own the way I look at it. Pharmacies are strict about most other drugs but adderall is still given out early and def not too stigmatized or hard to get a script. Hell. You can go to certain docs and tell them you really need to study, they just might be okay with it.

Most see adderall as fairly innocuous, and I asked a doc about this, he said something like “most people, they’ll take one dose and love it, but then they take the second one and start feeling anxious, and with the comedown most people don’t wanna go too far. So Most people stick to therapeutic doses”

That generally is My experience though I’ve heard of people taking like 100mg and taking their computer apart and putting it back together all night, but again, I’ve only seen this behavior with serious addictive behavior.

Im sure in rural areas meth is plentiful but it’s been that way a long time. I just think it’s kind of a niche drug and It has some strong side effects (mostly staying up for days and ensuing psychosis)

I think the real future epidemic involves benzos more than anything else, personally.

Amphetamines have what I call a built in fail-safe that stops most people from going overboard. I don’t think anyone’s gonna start taking fistfuls of (real) adderall either so, my 2 cents

But yeah also I wish the press people,stuck to just pressing molly into rolls. There’s a lot of money there without fraud medicine. Most people would prefer a roll on a night out in my area. It’s getting so that the more addictive rx drugs are the ones being counterfeit, and usually not with the same ingredient (ie seems like Xanax presses are less and less actual alprazolam, I wouldn’t trust those for a second)

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

InvisiblePsychoReactive
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocalero
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Fractal420]
    #26427531 - 01/11/20 04:01 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Dont do meth kids, stick to natural stimulants.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: PsychoReactive]
    #26431003 - 01/13/20 10:24 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

like caffeine? That stuff just makes me jittery. Low doses of adderall do help me (I have adhd but for energy needs also). But like with caffeine, if I take more than needed, it gets to be too uncomfortable

I don’t see the difference between natural (cocaine, caff, cathinone) and synthetic stimulants unless you compare chem vs chem. Like for example, smoking shards of meth that are like 50-100mg+, that’s a lot, and more potent than oral, regular amphetamine (plus possible adulterants)

IMO, the best stims tend to be the classic phens, which are mostly synthetic. But they are simple substances, I don’t see any reason to fear them, just don’t binge them. Even I am “supposed” to take amp every day, but no way can I actually do that, I’d never get any good sleep and eventually I’d crash like hell

Might be good for fixing a fucked up sleep cycle though

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinefeldman114
Stragler

Loc: Bravos
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Fractal420]
    #26431011 - 01/13/20 10:28 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I don’t get why meth is so popular in the US, but you can’t find good old speed (amphetamine salt) powder anywhere.
It’s 10x cheaper and the comedown is way less brutal ime.
It also takes way more amphs to make you go off the rails, and you can’t smoke it so it’s harder to OD.

Have been off the uppers for a few years, but never enjoyed meth over others back in my tweaky days.

Edited by feldman114 (01/13/20 10:30 AM)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: feldman114]
    #26435529 - 01/15/20 07:25 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

There's is one big reason for the meth epidemic in the United States. 27 years ago teachers started working for the pharmaceutical industry, hundreds of thousands if not millions of children were forced to take ADHD medications that are essentially Pharmaceutical grade methamphetamine.

When these children reach the age of 18, most are dropped from their parents insurance policies and no longer have access to the highly addictive drug they had taken most of their lives.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinefeldman114
Stragler

Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Doc9151]
    #26435681 - 01/15/20 09:12 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah but those medications are a mix of different amphetamine salts, not methamphetamine.

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: feldman114]
    #26435684 - 01/15/20 09:15 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

feldman114 said:
Yeah but those medications are a mix of different amphetamine salts, not methamphetamine.

Call it what you want, it's still pharmaceutical amphetamines.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinefeldman114
Stragler

Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Doc9151]
    #26435700 - 01/15/20 09:24 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I thought you were responding to my post about how meth is popular but amph isn’t around at all.

InvisibleONE OZ SLUG
-
Male

Loc: TX
    #26435751 - 01/15/20 09:57 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

That corn starch gets you skitzed out pretty good

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: ONE OZ SLUG]
    #26436442 - 01/16/20 09:34 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting article.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineI AM SWIM
doin' thangs
 User Gallery

Loc: Feels Changsta Man
Re: Meth use up sixfold, fentanyl use quadrupled in U.S. in last 6 years [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #26440005 - 01/18/20 10:47 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

There is a Methamphetamine prescription that has been around for a while to treat Narcolepsy. It's called Desoxyn. Either way, abuse of Methamphetamine is terrible. It's sad that a lot people on this forum use it.
It wasn't like that back in the day. Pretty much all stimulants cause brain damage and reduction of grey matter in the brain.

I abused a lot of things back in the day, and the repercussions caught up with me. Now I need to see a neurologist and I can't afford it.

Take LSD or Psilocybin instead, and remember if it's bitter it's a spitter.
Inform yourself as Terence McKenna said.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale