Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
STRAINS
    #2639414 - 05/04/04 11:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Genus=Psilocybe
Species=Cubensis
Strain=any and all!

I know a little about the basics of obtaining a strain of a given species(please dont call me out on that one,I'm just useing basics,ok?)
Now in order to obtain a strain,you have to first obtain the species of the genus you are wanting to isolate into a new strain.
Then you grow this out and take and get the healthiest,prettiest,strongest,fastest,and meanest(lol)-whatever trait you seek-be it potency,or be it size, or be it looks,or a combination of any and all traits that you desire,
and you raise this out and get its results(same traits you are after)
and so on until you have done enough times to achieve your sought after traits you wanted(or so "you" say),and the ending result will be basically what you wanted,or not.
Hey if it works great do it!right?
But when you grow this strain out to achieve these wanted traits,that you sought after,you also lose the bad traits(dont want the slow,ugly,small,weak),resulting in a Species that has been altered by excessive inbreeding(breeding amongst itself)-notorious for mutants and deformaties.
So in all reality its just another strain of the same species that some one has altered to their specs!There is not a standard specs sheet to go by,so you are assuming that someone,or yourself,has created a new strain,bigger,better,is this true?
Simple question-how can one prove that any given strain of the same genus and species is superior to the original it came from?

Why should I believe you when you made this so called strain?
You could be lying when you say they are better than my strain,and you might be telling the truth.
I'm originaly from Missouri-you know-"The Show Me State"
so can the people who claimed and named these strains please step up?(SlimShady?)and answer my question?Only you know the answers and what you did to make that strain better than what it originally was.
Where are these God's?

edit=please dont break out all those scientifc equations and all those long ass words,so as to confuse me either!
I speak english-not latin,or whatever.

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (05/04/04 11:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineacidhead1279
Master Of AllThings Hip
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere on the other si...
Re: STRAINS [Re: doc34]
    #2639713 - 05/05/04 12:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

no body has "made" any strains around here. people make ISOLATES all the time, or clones. this allows for isolation of possitive traits, and therefore good genetics. once one has a clone/isolate, it is going to be most effective on the medium is was originaly cultivated on, ie straw, PF, etc. the strain has never changed, just a sub-strain, or RACE, has been isolated. like you said, after several succesive clones genetic degredation is common. this is avoided by starting a new culture.

any other questions?
FAQ

--------------------
Farewell FRSE!  We had such good times together.

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2639843 - 05/05/04 01:05 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

doc34 said:
Simple question-how can one prove that any given strain of the same genus and species is superior to the original it came from?

Well the question you're asking can't really be answered since it is subjective.
What is superior to you may or may not be superior to everyone else.
But that isn't really what strains are about. A strain is, as you said just a genetically bottlenecked genome. It consistantly produces relatively the same offspring as its parent. This consistancy is what defines the strain. The strains value or "superiorness" is up to you.

Peace - @cro

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2639967 - 05/05/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

How to make a True strain and at the same time improve on potency.
Genus-Psilocybe
Species-Cubensis
Strain-Creepers

step 1-Obtain a spore print
step 2-Germinate this onto agar
step 3-find the most aggresive mycelium
step 4-transfer this to more agar
step 5-repeat steps 3 and 4
step 6-repeat steps 3 and 4
step 7-transfer this to a growing medium
of the best nutrients known to mushroom
cultivation(give them the best)
step 8-cultivate this using the best known
cultivation techniques(give them the best)
step 9-take every fruit(mushroom)of this first flush
and chemically test each and every mushroom in
said flush for a high psilocybine/psilocin(what
is the most active ingredient that makes it the
most potent? well,test it for that-potency!)do
we really know the compounds?All of them?
anyways test them all individually for potency
and pick only the most potent one
step 10-print that!you will need it again soon
step 11-go back to step 9 and repeat steps 9-10
This would be the second flush from the first
(cake or casing) I repeat do not change anything
in this process
step 12-take print A(most potent first flush) and put it
under a microscope(if you can)and remove 1 spore
and put this 1 spore somewhere safe(lmao)
step 13-repeat step 12 useing spore print B(most potent second flush)
step 14-place each spore on agar (seperate plates) and germinate
step 15-repeat steps 3-7 for both A & B
NOTE:--at this point is where the mating occurs of the two(A & B)myceliums
step 16- repeat steps 8-10
step 17- Wrap this print up and and put a label on it!

Results? A more potent strain(should be)and also a
"true"(yep,believe that)strain-not a fake some one made in their
basement,using just agar and then claiming rights to a strain that did not exsist
(who has the equiptment to remove 1 spore from a print?)

Strain=anything you want to call it because you just
created the Ultimate,Most Potent,Fastest Growing strain of
Psilocybe Cubensis ever created(so far)
Label them "Blazure's" who cares,You did it!

Any and all additions or ommitting of any of these steps will render this Tek invalid

VVVVVlet me ask you allVVVVV
ANy questions?

--------------------

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

#2640004 - 05/05/04 01:46 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

mmm
if you did made a true isolate in your first steps all mushrooms produced from that isolate should be genetically identical.
Peace

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: STRAINS [Re: @cro]
    #2640012 - 05/05/04 01:49 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yes but an "Isolate"is not a strain-Not a "True"strain

:thumbup: :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2640064 - 05/05/04 02:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Genetics can be selected for. This is done in the commercial mushroom industry to develop cold weather strains, prettier colors, better flavor/aroma, etc. Anything that will give them an edge on the market. This is then moved on to an isolate that further exhibits the desired characteristics and desirable yields. Who is to say that strain development cannot be transferred to cubensis? Take the PF Classic strain for example. I have heard that this strain has adapted to the PF mix, and performs poorly on casings (I can attest to the latter, but I never tried it on a cake). Other strains are taken from the wild and grown out over several generations to help domesticate them.

But in the end you?re still ending up with basically the same thing. Developing the ultimate cubensis strain would be related to you putting evolution on fast forward.

An isolate from a mushroom strain is just that, a mushroom strain...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2640148 - 05/05/04 02:40 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

How did I get on isolates when I posted about strains-dont deter me people,haHA,
I repeat- an "Isolate" is a hindering or a collection of a given set of traits,single or combined,not a strain!
A "True" Strain is a pure version of the original but now with those same traits (Isolated)Hopefully with better yeilds,higher potency,better looks,fruit from spore in 3 weeks?who knows-but I know that if it is a Pure strain it will-I repeat It will out preform your Isolates
Example-take an isolate and cross it with another isolate with the same traits and what will you get?You will get an isolate with those traits !lol,this gets better I swear!
Take an Isolate with a given set of traits(good yeilder)and try to cross that with another isolate with a different set of traits(potent)and what will you get?lmao-you get an Isolate that has a 50-50% chance of being potent,and a 50-50% chance of being a good yeilder,and very seldom if any at all will you ever get an Isolate from this mating that will be a potent good yeilder! deformities and mutants pop up every where now adays dont they?Ever wonder why that is?HMMMMM
Being that said lets get back on subjectVV
Strains-when you do the above mention "tek"(I love that word)You have created a strain that will perform consistent way longer than an Isolate(When you deter from purity you start to degrade,why,because an isolate is a focal point for a given trait-not a purity issue)

Take a strain that is pure and also contains the trait of being a high yeilder and cross that with a strain that is pure and having the trait of being potent and the result of that mating my friend will be"A pure strain that is a potent high yeilder"!

:thumbup: :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2640305 - 05/05/04 03:46 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I repeat- an "Isolate" is a hindering or a collection of a given set of traits,single or combined,not a strain!

Listen, when you buy a culture, you are buying a strain. Perhaps the proper term would be a sub-strain. But still, it is from the same strain.

Quote:

A "True" Strain is a pure version of the original but now with those same traits (Isolated)Hopefully with better yeilds,higher potency,better looks,fruit from spore in 3 weeks?who knows-but I know that if it is a Pure strain it will-I repeat It will out preform your Isolates
Example-take an isolate and cross it with another isolate with the same traits and what will you get?You will get an isolate with those traits !

This is very confusing. How could an isolate from a "true strain" outperform an isolate from that strain? I don't even understand what you are trying to say by true strain, every mushroom is a true strain, and there are true isolate strains as well. Then you go on to say crossing isolates. How exactly do you plan on crossing the traits from an already mated dikaryotic mushroom strain? I know anastomosis can happen, but how do you know that the desired genetic traits have been exchanged?

Quote:

Take an Isolate with a given set of traits(good yeilder)and try to cross that with another isolate with a different set of traits(potent)and what will you get?lmao-you get an Isolate that has a 50-50% chance of being potent,and a 50-50% chance of being a good yeilder,and very seldom if any at all will you ever get an Isolate from this mating that will be a potent good yeilder!

I think you are misunderstanding the way mushrooms mate, how diverse the genetics are from spore to spore, and how genetics get passed on in general.

Quote:

deformities and mutants pop up every where now adays dont they?Ever wonder why that is?HMMMMM

Why? I would bet 90% of them are caused by chemicals. The others are the result of poor matings that still fruit.

Quote:

Strains-when you do the above mention "tek"(I love that word)You have created a strain that will perform consistent way longer than an Isolate(When you deter from purity you start to degrade,why,because an isolate is a focal point for a given trait-not a purity issue)

This was really out there. The genetics of this strain will still vary much more than a pure isolate. An isolate is about as pure as you can get. True, it will perform longer as an isolate will degrade when expanded over many generations of cell divisions.

Quote:

Take a strain that is pure and also contains the trait of being a high yeilder and cross that with a strain that is pure and having the trait of being potent and the result of that mating my friend will be"A pure strain that is a potent high yeilder"!

Again, I think you are underestimating the complexity of mushroom genetics, and how they get passed on. How do you plan to breed these two mushrooms that have the traits you desire? The type of genetic exchange you speak of is seen in the plant world, not mushrooms. It is not that easy since the genetics from each spore vary greatly, how would you know that only the ones that possess the traits you desire will mate? It is more about selecting for these traits which is more easily done through isolation. To selectively breed for the desired traits would take many, many generations.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: STRAINS [Re: ATWAR]
    #2640669 - 05/05/04 06:27 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ATWAR in response to your well thought out reply,please read again
How to make a True strain and at the same time improve on potency.
Genus-Psilocybe
Species-Cubensis
Strain-Creepers

step 1-Obtain a spore print
step 2-Germinate this onto agar
step 3-find the most aggresive mycelium
step 4-transfer this to more agar
step 5-repeat steps 3 and 4
step 6-repeat steps 3 and 4
step 7-transfer this to a growing medium
of the best nutrients known to mushroom
cultivation(give them the best)
step 8-cultivate this using the best known
cultivation techniques(give them the best)
step 9-take every fruit(mushroom)of this first flush
and chemically test each and every mushroom in
said flush for a high psilocybine/psilocin(what
is the most active ingredient that makes it the
most potent? well,test it for that-potency!)do
we really know the compounds?All of them?
anyways test them all individually for potency
and pick only the most potent one
step 10-print that!you will need it again soon
step 11-go back to step 9 and repeat steps 9-10
This would be the second flush from the first
(cake or casing) I repeat do not change anything
in this process
step 13-repeat step 12 useing spore print B(most potent second flush)
step 14-place each spore on agar (seperate plates) and germinate
step 15-repeat steps 3-7 for both A & B
NOTE:--at this point is where the mating occurs of the two(A & B)myceliums
step 16- repeat steps 8-10
step 17- Wrap this print up and and put a label on it!

Results? A more potent strain(should be)and also a
"true"(yep,believe that)strain-not a fake some one made in their
basement,using just agar and then claiming rights to a strain that did not exsist

I dont need to explain each and every word.

when you do the above and obtain a "True Strain"with the traits you "Isolated" from the rest of the not so wanted bad traits,You aquire a strain-not an "Isolate",but a true(being pure)strain of the original,with the added good traits!
now take that and mate it with another True strain(being pure)-(obtained using the above methods)that has other"Isolated traits",and you mate this combination(inbreed)you get a pure strain that has both of the "Isolated"traits.
You cant do that with an "Isolate" alone.you will end up with it haveing one trait or the other,but never combined!Added bonus-mutants and deformaties-aborts---it leads to too many complications!

Bottom line-A strain is a Strain-an Isolate is nothing more than a picked trait(picked by who),can you tell me that the first steps in obtaining an"isolate"?
what do we look for when getting an Isolate?Fast,healthy growing mycelium!
is it potent?lmao,you answer that one!(noway you can tell)
will it yeild high ?lmao,yeah,you can answer that one too!(no way you can tell)
will it produce consistently?yep,answer that too!(you cant tell until you fruit it)

so in all reality all you have is an agar dish of some fast growing mycelium,taking from a given"Species"!
Not a strain!

:cool:

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (05/05/04 07:09 AM)

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2640720 - 05/05/04 07:22 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What is this new strain?
Koh Samoi Super Strain
What makes it "super"?
What makes it a strain?

it is not a strain it is an "Isolate"that has been given the title by someone in an attempt to reach peak sales of said "Super Strain"

THATS RIGHT ITS THE OLD SALES PITCH ROUTINE,it works quite well to those who know no better!
"Koh Somoi Super Strain"is nothing more than the original(a cube),yet with added "Isolated"traits-being rigorous myceluim growth.

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2640875 - 05/05/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

when creating an isolate what are you looking for?fast,strong,ropey.rhizo growth,right?
How can you label that isolate as a strain?
you cant.
How can you say that an isolate will produce bigger yields?
You cant.
How can you say that an Isolate is more potent?
You cant.
what can you say about this isolate?
you can say that the mycelium is the fastest,ropiest,strongest growing trait that you have isolated from the original,but in all reality,you still have the original!You cant take that same isolate that you never saw produce,and say it produces a more potent,higher yeilding,faster growing,"fruit"!
but if you make a strain-then you can pin point each Isolated trait,and with selective "isolation of the fruits of this strain",you can say that you have a faster growing,higher yeilding,more potent,strain-because that Sir, is exactly what you would have!
A Strain! nOt an Isolate--not a clone,not another species,but an improved version of the original cube,that will consistantly produce the same,generation thru generation-it will run true!!!!!

AN isolate will not do that-it will eventually degrade at some point unless you re-introduce the original"bloodline" to bring it back-and in doing that you are going to end up with mutants and diformaties and other unwanted features along with the traits you are trying so hard to keep going!

Dont use these words-isolate,strain,or whatever to"name"the clone you have made!Thats what it is "a clone" of the original cube that shows the isolated traits you seek.It is not "new",its not improved in any way,shape,form,or fashion, it is simply one trait you have isolated.

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2640951 - 05/05/04 09:30 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I hate to keep posting,but I dont want to edit any post cause someone will say I;m editing to correct myself(no need in that huh?)

If you take a cube(be it whatever)and you fruit this and you find 1 mushroom from that fruiting to be more potent(or higher yeilding,etc,etc,)and you put that mushroom aside(you'll need it again)and then you go back to that original cube and you fruit it again and you , again , find 1 mushroom from that fruiting to be more potent(higher yeilding etc,etc,)and again you put this 1 aside also-what do you have?
You have 2 mushrooms that are-
Fruit of said first mateing! that contain a trait(potency)that you isolated to these 2 mushrooms(out of all of the rest)
But now if you take those 2 mushrooms and mate them(it takes 2 to do the tango)the outcome will be a true isolate of said species! cubes.

now in order to class this isolate into a new strain,you have to fruit the above outcome or isolate and take the 1 offspring with the most dominate feature being potency and put it aside!
Then redo everything you did to obtain that isolate and fruit it and then take that offspring and mate it back to the other isolate-
Then and only then my friends will you have a new,more potent "strain"that will produce consistantly without error(note there are freaks in every genus and species )

Take that to the bank!

Thats how you make a "True Strain"and not a cloned or an isolate!

does that make a little more sense for you guy's to comprehind?

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2641014 - 05/05/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Again, how are you to know these spores will have only the traits you desire?

Quote:

Bottom line-A strain is a Strain-an Isolate is nothing more than a picked trait(picked by who),can you tell me that the first steps in obtaining an"isolate"?
what do we look for when getting an Isolate?Fast,healthy growing mycelium!
is it potent?lmao,you answer that one!(noway you can tell)
will it yeild high ?lmao,yeah,you can answer that one too!(no way you can tell)
will it produce consistently?yep,answer that too!(you cant tell until you fruit it)

I can take a clone from a nice mushroom, that would be considered an isolate. With an isolate it is much easier to pick the traits you desire. I think you are still having trouble understanding how complex mushroom genetics are. You must realize that the genetic differences between the spores of a single mushroom is just as great as the print that mothered them. Your still going to end up with basically the same genetics you started with.

This is not like breeding dogs or plants, it is much more complicated and involved.

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2641036 - 05/05/04 10:07 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

If you take a cube(be it whatever)and you fruit this and you find 1 mushroom from that fruiting to be more potent(or higher yeilding,etc,etc,)and you put that mushroom aside(you'll need it again)and then you go back to that original cube and you fruit it again and you , again , find 1 mushroom from that fruiting to be more potent(higher yeilding etc,etc,)and again you put this 1 aside also-what do you have?
You have 2 mushrooms that are-
Fruit of said first mateing! that contain a trait(potency)that you isolated to these 2 mushrooms(out of all of the rest)
But now if you take those 2 mushrooms and mate them(it takes 2 to do the tango)the outcome will be a true isolate of said species! cubes.

Again, I think you are seriously underestimating the complexity of what you are trying to do in theory. These mushrooms will have spores with the same genetic diversity of the spores that mothered them. How are you to know the spores you select for breeding will have only the traits you desire?

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2641080 - 05/05/04 10:27 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"Again, how are you to know these spores will have only the traits you desire?"

Now you are on the same track!
You dont!

"I can take a clone from a nice mushroom, that would be considered an isolate. With an isolate it is much easier to pick the traits you desire. I think you are still having trouble understanding how complex mushroom genetics are. You must realize that the genetic differences between the spores of a single mushroom is just as great as the print that mothered them. Your still going to end up with basically the same genetics you started with."

True an isolate is a clone! but that clone is exactly the same as the mushroom it was made from-(Genetics,Its Identicle)How can you say that "With an isolate it is much easier to pick the traits you desire." what makes it easier with an isolate than with the original when they are without a doubt the same thing?Nothing they are the same-ie-same traits.

"You must realize that the genetic differences between the spores of a single mushroom is just as great as the print that mothered them."

Let me re-present that as I take it you are sayingVVVVV
"You must realize that the genetic differences "BETWEEN",the spores of a single mushroom is just as great as the genetic differences "BETWEEN" the print that mothered them and what?"

I really dont quite get that,but anyway,you cant in no way prove the thing about the spores haveing those traits,but taking it back that far(being as far as you can go without lying about something)gets it as close as you can get,and gives you the best fuondation to build upon without making false statements!

"This is not like breeding dogs or plants, it is much more complicated and involved. "

who said anything about them-was it because I mentioned "Bloodlines"?
and "clones" instead of saying"isolates" and "strains"?

Cmon Atwar lets not take this down to the very letter with genetics,lol,although that would be fun!
I am just showing how to distinguish the difference between a strain and an isolate or should I say-a "bloodline" and a "clone"!

It is a very intense process to create a new strain of a given species,no matter what species.but it is relatively simple to do an isolate as compared to getting a true strain.

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2641145 - 05/05/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

True an isolate is a clone! but that clone is exactly the same as the mushroom it was made from-(Genetics,Its Identicle)How can you say that "With an isolate it is much easier to pick the traits you desire." what makes it easier with an isolate than with the original when they are without a doubt the same thing?Nothing they are the same-ie-same traits.

Because if I clone a mushroom that is large and potent, the genetics would be the same, producing many large potent mushrooms. If you take a print, streak it, choose isolates from that plate, grow them out, who knows what phenotypes are to be expressed.

Quote:

I really dont quite get that,but anyway,you cant in no way prove the thing about the spores haveing those traits,but taking it back that far(being as far as you can go without lying about something)gets it as close as you can get,and gives you the best fuondation to build upon without making false statements!

Well, take this for example:
When you grow out a mushroom that is huge, a two footer lets say. You print this mushroom, grow out the spores, and end up with the same flush pattern as before, without a bunch more two footers... Why? Because the genetics between spores are as great as the genetics that mothered them. You are not exactly selecting for the two footer genetics (hence the outcome). What you speak of is like putting evolution on fast forward...

Quote:

"This is not like breeding dogs or plants, it is much more complicated and involved. "

who said anything about them-was it because I mentioned "Bloodlines"?
and "clones" instead of saying"isolates" and "strains"?

Because what you say is more along the lines of what is done with those animals and plants. It simply is not as easy with mushrooms. You end up with prints that are genetically diverse, that will still express the same phenotypes as the original (not improved). I think I need to stop making comparisons, as you have a bit of trouble making the connection.

Quote:

It is a very intense process to create a new strain of a given species,no matter what species.but it is relatively simple to do an isolate as compared to getting a true strain.

Indeed. Didn't I say something similar? Taking an isolate that has the traits you desire is much easier than selectively breeding for these traits. The whole concept of a "true strain" has me confused. I can pick a mushroom from my yard and it would be considered a true strain, whether I work with it or not...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2641189 - 05/05/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"Because if I clone a mushroom that is large and potent, the genetics would be the same, producing many large potent mushrooms. If you take a print, streak it, choose isolates from that plate, grow them out, who knows what phenotypes are to be expressed."

WOOHOO- WE agreed on something !I hear you!
"Well, take this for example:
When you grow out a mushroom that is huge, a two footer lets say. You print this mushroom, grow out the spores, and end up with the same flush pattern as before, without a bunch more two footers... Why? Because the genetics between spores are as great as the genetics that mothered them. You are not exactly selecting for the two footer genetics (hence the outcome). What you speak of is like putting evolution on fast forward..."

Its catching quick!I hear ya !

"Because what you say is more along the lines of what is done with those animals and plants. It simply is not as easy with mushrooms. You end up with prints that are genetically diverse, that will still express the same phenotypes as the original (not improved). I think I need to stop making comparisons, as you have a bit of trouble making the connection."

Damn I relapsed! I dis agree.

"Indeed. Didn't I say something similar? Taking an isolate that has the traits you desire is much easier than selectively breeding for these traits. The whole concept of a "true strain" has me confused. I can pick a mushroom from my yard and it would be considered a true strain, whether I work with it or not... "

I agree with the first part of this statement^^^^
well hell 1 1/2 out of four is an improvement!but I have to disagree with the last part.

--------------------

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

#2641330 - 05/05/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ok the main question or point I'm getting out of this is you would like to create a super potent strain, not isolate.
But the steps you have lined out will not work. In steps 3456 you are indeed isolating a strain, the resulting mushrooms from steps 789 will be identical, they are all made up of the same isolate you just aquired in the previous steps.
Make a spore print of this, isolate again etc etc
This process is indeed a good way to aquire a strain for the fastest growth but it will not produce a strain of higher alkoloid content because you aren't testing for alkaloid content over various mushrooms, you are testing over the same mushrooms.
If you want to make a super potent strain, fruit a multispore, the repeat steps 789, then fruit this print multispore and repeat many times until all variance is reduced in your multispore fruitings.

Peace - @cro

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: STRAINS [Re: @cro]
    #2641347 - 05/05/04 11:33 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Amen @cro!!!

Very well said,Thank you fr the info and showing me my flaw!

And yes I am after the new strain-coming soon to a thread near you!lol :thumbup: :cool:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale