Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Loc: MI
Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1679952 - 07/02/03 09:47 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

luvdemshrooms is right, it is unrealistic to think that you can get through life without dealing with complete assholes.  Just accept the fact that they are out there, they will screw up anything that is good and respectable, and they will get a kick out of it.  Move on with your life after that and forget they exist.  It's easy.  If someone wants to log on and throw flaming insults about to make themselves feel cool, it's alright.  In 100 years they won't matter to anyone anyways.  :smile:

--------------------
Nothing is idiot proof. Just need a real talented idiot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: BetMomIsProud]
    #1680044 - 07/02/03 10:34 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

100 years? Hell, I'd be forgotten in a week.

It'd be..... whatever happened to that major asshole, what's his name, you know..... nipples?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: Anonymous] * 2
    #26393643 - 12/21/19 07:52 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1676739#1676739
Quote:

Anonymous said, (exactly 6015 days ago) :
seriously people, it's getting ridiculous in here...

Wow, people even flamed in the olden days. :grin:
:oldman: . . . :peace:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: vinsue] * 3
    #26394146 - 12/21/19 02:48 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

When the Shroomery was down recently I resorted to lurking at the Mycotopia site. I found all the niceness and politeness and civility there to be fairly repulsive.

On the one hand I do try to make educational points. But I also get great amusement and challenge out of figuring out ways to phrase comments to insult people and remain just inside the rules enough to not get banned. If this place goes completely civil I will lose interest. I used to post a lot in the sports forum but the combative people are gone and it isn't much fun anymore. There has to be an Axis and Allies atmosphere to keep things interesting.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: vinsue] * 2
    #26394263 - 12/21/19 03:58 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

What necromancy is this?

No flaming is a good thing, I understand snarky banter is a good thing as well...it can promote conversation. Attacking the argument and not going full blown ad hominem is more kosher. I dont think I have ever flamed anyone here.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: Brian Jones] * 3
    #26394421 - 12/21/19 05:41 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

I was against trying to ban qman or getting him to bend to fit the rules. I'm glad some of the rightwingers are gone because they were dense and overly simplistic. Arguing with someone who can construct an argument is more challenging than just insulting the low ability crowd or agreeing with the people I already agree with.

--------------------

Onlineqman
Stranger

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: Brian Jones]
    #26394617 - 12/21/19 08:31 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
I was against trying to ban qman or getting him to bend to fit the rules. I'm glad some of the rightwingers are gone because they were dense and overly simplistic. Arguing with someone who can construct an argument is more challenging than just insulting the low ability crowd or agreeing with the people I already agree with.

I'm not sure if you were aware, but about a month ago I received a permanent ban with no warning or reason other than not embracing the community standards.

In other words, in another forum I was pointing out some of the double standards and hypocrisy of the PC movement and it pissed off the mod in that forum. At that point, he justified permanently banning me with XUL and that's exactly what he did.

That's what good behavior got me, I never flamed and have been flamed a hundred of times over, but still I was the bad guy.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: qman]
    #26394641 - 12/21/19 09:01 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Qman, I have read your posts for quite sometime.....there have been alot of posts I question (the intent). Sure likewise for you.

If what you suggest is true, have you provided evidence....so the rest of the community can see? I would be interested in seeing it. I assume you are no longer perma banned.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Onlineqman
Stranger

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #26394655 - 12/21/19 09:12 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
Qman, I have read your posts for quite sometime.....there have been alot of posts I question (the intent). Sure likewise for you.

If what you suggest is true, have you provided evidence....so the rest of the community can see? I would be interested in seeing it. I assume you are no longer perma banned.

The ban was overturned in a few hours and only one mod not associated with the ban briefly mentioned it was a "mistake" of some sorts.

It was discussed in a thread in this forum after the fact, so there's no secret about what happened.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#26394664 - 12/21/19 09:18 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry man, Out of the loop. :shrug:
I misread your post and thought it was "recent".

Edited by SirTripAlot (12/21/19 09:19 PM)

Onlineqman
Stranger

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: qman] * 1
    #26394669 - 12/21/19 09:21 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

I learned my lesson, go with the "community standards" or hit the road. Flaming violators get warnings and small bans. Not agreeing with some sort of arbitrary community standard is a death sentence.

Again, I post what they want me to post. I don't want to upset anyone in the community in the political discussion forum. I'm a good little boy now, I got in line and did what I should have been doing in the first place.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#26394721 - 12/21/19 10:12 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Are you in jest about being a lemming?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #26394785 - 12/21/19 11:06 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
Sorry man, Out of the loop. :shrug:
I misread your post and thought it was "recent".

It was only about a month and a half ago:  https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26291687#26291687

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: qman] * 1
    #26404274 - 12/28/19 08:39 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Brian Jones said:

I'm not sure if you were aware, but about a month ago I received a permanent ban with no warning or reason other than not embracing the community standards.

In other words, in another forum I was pointing out some of the double standards and hypocrisy of the PC movement and it pissed off the mod in that forum. At that point, he justified permanently banning me with XUL and that's exactly what he did.

That's what good behavior got me, I never flamed and have been flamed a hundred of times over, but still I was the bad guy.

I was aware and I think it was wrong. I don't even think XUL should have got banned, not that I didn't think he was a goof, but banning is against the spirit of why we are all here. I don't know who told you what, but I personally hope you will continue to try to push the edge of the envelope. I guess I have less to worry about being a leftist, but I either have 10 months or 5 more years of TDS, and I have a harder and harder time trying to stay civil. The words flaming and inflamatory are different forms of the same thing. I have some sort of a psychological need to be inflamatorty once every four posts or so. Lately there has been a new crew of low postcount nitwits, and no one seems to care what I say to them.

As Neil Young said It's better to burn out than to fade away.

--------------------

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: Brian Jones] * 2
    #26404462 - 12/28/19 10:42 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I’ve certainly stopped paying attention to some threads because I didn’t really feel like I was getting anything out of interacting with the type of trolling Xul and Qman do... but it was my choice to get involved in that interaction in the first place, and so long as they aren’t running rampant on all the forums and threads degrading the usefulness of the forum, there’s no reason to ban them when I can just choose to focus myself elsewhere, and they can live happily doing their trolling things.

The reality is that politics is a proxy for a whole bunch of other emotional things, and so oddly being a dick is as valid a part of the meta-discussion as say wanting everything to be discussed calm and logically.

Offlineliving_failure
unworthy
Male

Loc: spain, madrid
Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: StygianKnight] * 2
    #26404482 - 12/28/19 10:57 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Putting qman and xul on the same bag is like putting clintons on the same bag as hittler and mao.

what the fuck.

As an spanish, we had a civil war no that long ago. Followed by a dictatorship.
I just want people to be able to express their opinions.

Losing Qman being able to face your opinions with different ones and making the discussion possible should be something to cry about.

Onlineqman
Stranger

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: StygianKnight] * 1
    #26404552 - 12/28/19 11:42 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

StygianKnight said:
I’ve certainly stopped paying attention to some threads because I didn’t really feel like I was getting anything out of interacting with the type of trolling Xul and Qman do... but it was my choice to get involved in that interaction in the first place, and so long as they aren’t running rampant on all the forums and threads degrading the usefulness of the forum, there’s no reason to ban them when I can just choose to focus myself elsewhere, and they can live happily doing their trolling things.

The reality is that politics is a proxy for a whole bunch of other emotional things, and so oddly being a dick is as valid a part of the meta-discussion as say wanting everything to be discussed calm and logically.

I'm not sure what type of "trolling" you think I'm engaging in on these forums, so if you have any specific examples, I'm all ears.

I'm pretty sure almost every member here has engaged in playing the devils advocate in one form or another, but that's not really trolling in my opinion.

If my memory serves me correct, yourself and Fal have had many disagreements about Trump and Russian involvement. When he asks for evidence for your claim and you come up with nothing for that claim, was that trolling? 

Or is trolling just people that you disagree with on the political spectrum?  If that's the case, you have now proven how closed minded you are when it comes to political discussion.

Onlineqman
Stranger

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: Brian Jones] * 1
    #26404567 - 12/28/19 11:53 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Brian Jones said:

I was aware and I think it was wrong. I don't even think XUL should have got banned, not that I didn't think he was a goof, but banning is against the spirit of why we are all here. I don't know who told you what, but I personally hope you will continue to try to push the edge of the envelope. I guess I have less to worry about being a leftist, but I either have 10 months or 5 more years of TDS, and I have a harder and harder time trying to stay civil. The words flaming and inflamatory are different forms of the same thing. I have some sort of a psychological need to be inflamatorty once every four posts or so. Lately there has been a new crew of low postcount nitwits, and no one seems to care what I say to them.

As Neil Young said It's better to burn out than to fade away.

I have no issue with people breaking the rules that exist and getting a ban for violating those rules.  I don't break the rules, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem was a mod that didn't like me and the fact I didn't break any rules. So he just decided to give me a permanent ban without any violations of the rules and attempted to justify the ban with some arbitrary self made rule of not following the "community standards".

That type of behavior isn't acceptable in my opinion, but that's the type of people that have been given power on this site.  In my opinion, that mod should be removed from the position.

So just remember, the rules don't mean anything at this point since a mod can justify any type of ban with a arbitrary violation of the "community standards" that isn't listed in the forum rules. It would be nice to know what those "community standards" are so we could all be educated on it. Do you know why there isn't any listed "community standards"?  Because it only applies to people that disagree with a certain mod, in other words, double standards.

Edited by qman (12/28/19 11:57 AM)

Onlineqman
Stranger

Re: i now understand why we have a no flaming rule. [Re: living_failure]
    #26404570 - 12/28/19 11:55 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

living_failure said:
Putting qman and xul on the same bag is like putting clintons on the same bag as hittler and mao.

what the fuck.

As an spanish, we had a civil war no that long ago. Followed by a dictatorship.
I just want people to be able to express their opinions.

Losing Qman being able to face your opinions with different ones and making the discussion possible should be something to cry about.

Maybe he wants a  :circlejerk:  when it comes to political discussion. Anything else is "trolling" or "being a dick". :facepalm:

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#26404574 - 12/28/19 11:57 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

It’s hilarious as fuck you almost got accidentally banned for doing what you say people are unjustifiably accusing you of doing .

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order