Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
since
    #2640211 - 05/05/04 05:06 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the first days when man crawled out of the monkeys ass, he was under the impression that having more sanddollars than the other cave men would make him happier. this is what will ultimutely bring the downfall of America.
Having the most sand dollars in fact does not make you a happier man, or nation. It only softens you untill the slightest discomfort hurts like fire, and your own sheltered exsistence weakens you, and dambs you to a bitter end.
The easyer they come up the harder they fall down.

a man whos starving in africa, and who's whole family just got murdered. probly feels just as happy as you or i eating cheetos in front of our computer...
which kind of contridicts everything else i wrote. but no matter.
everytime i think about human emotion, and the effects of society it always starts off dambing the rich, and than realizing that at a certain point for the most part everybody feels the same, and everything balances out

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLux
Re: since [Re: Dreamer987]
    #2640289 - 05/05/04 05:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

We try to fill this void with quick fixes. The longing for these quick fixes is what temporarily satisfies us but once we get the thing we've been lusting after we move on to the next thing. This is a fake, temporary happiness which is dependant on external, material things. We must develop a happiness from within that is dependant of nothing, this should be among our most important goals. Once we can sit in an empty room by ourselves for however long and be perfectly content, we have accomplished this.

I believe Jesus taught this but the Christian church has seriously distorted it and like everything else they've done with his teachings, they focus on the physical acts(or restriction of them in this case) while completely ignoring the internal goal. We need to act for and from within and these physical things are but manifestations of our inner change, something most people have lost touch with.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2641618 - 05/05/04 02:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western spiral arm of the galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this, at a distance of roughly ninety million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet, whose ape descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

This planet has, or had, a problem, which was this. Most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small, green pieces of paper, which is odd, because on the whole, it wasn't the small, green pieces of paper which were unhappy.

And so the problem remained, and lots of the people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches. Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake coming down from the trees in the first place, and some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no-one should ever have left the oceans.

And then one day, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl, sitting on her own in a small cafe in Rickmansworth suddenly realised what it was that had been going wrong all this time and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no-one would have to get nalied to anything.

Sadly, however, before she could get to a phone to tell anyone, the Earth was unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass and so the idea was lost forever."

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineWizdum
8-bit nitwit.

Re: since [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2641709 - 05/05/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That's quite a depressing story.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: since [Re: Wizdum]
    #2641744 - 05/05/04 02:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I thought it was hilarious. Thats from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, btw.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineWizdum
8-bit nitwit.

Re: since [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2641878 - 05/05/04 03:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm ashamed that I haven't even read that book. I need to go pick it up.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: since [Re: Wizdum]
    #2641922 - 05/05/04 04:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It's a great book because each chapter's only a few pages long.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#2662067 - 05/11/04 08:19 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, true dat. Human's ugliest error was to hava chosen money instead of services, or direct exchanges of goods or something else.
But we had to choose money. Fuck ups we are.
And the way ociety is structured today, it seems that this error is irreversible.Unless we experience a huge change in our mentalities and create extreme changes in our society, or otherwise a huge catastrophe/war would have to happen that would shatter the present structures of society and that then we would have to rebuild them from scratch and hopefully not make the same error again.
Both of these events, if they were to occure, would probably occure in a long time, which gives us enough time to destroy our own planet. At least this way we wont have any more problems.

Can anyone get me out from my actual depression on the future of money and of our civilization? I really put all my hope in the mentality/consciousness change. Can you all think of any other possible ways of changes??

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: since [Re: exclusive58]
    #2662113 - 05/11/04 09:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
Unless we experience a huge change in our mentalities and create extreme changes in our society, or otherwise a huge catastrophe/war would have to happen that would shatter the present structures of society and that then we would have to rebuild them from scratch and hopefully not make the same error again.

Well, every aspect of almost everyone's lives here depends intricately on oil, cheap oil... it is our lifeblood; it is responsible for keeping alive 5/6ths of the people here... it is going to run out soon, and the less there is, the more expensive it gets.

This will create quite the problem! :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #2662305 - 05/11/04 10:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Its quite simple really. Everyone with more money and power they can use are responsible for everything that is wrong in this world. It has been like that since the dawn of mankind and will always stay like that. And it will be our undoing.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2662504 - 05/11/04 11:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

>a man whos starving in africa, and who's whole family just got murdered. probly feels just as happy as you or i eating cheetos in front of our computer...
-I disagree. Cheetos are tasty and Penn and Teller is funny. I wonder what the starving man in africa would choose... food and entertainment or a murdered family.

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: since [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2663988 - 05/11/04 06:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

thats just it, he would never know the joys of food and entertainment.
Only the day to day struggle for survival.
he would be used to it by that point, and be able to function just the same as us.
I think

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2666063 - 05/12/04 01:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

good point, the people who go hardcore in life realize this and put everything society tells them behind them... something I am far from doing

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2666068 - 05/12/04 01:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Obviously, niether of us have been starving Africans whom recently lost their entire family... but I am quite certain that such a person would prefer food and a living family over their current state.

Offlinewrong
Stranger
    #2666352 - 05/12/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

(i think) there is only a certain amount of struggling you can get used to
the man who has lost his family is probably feeling more pain we ever will

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: since [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2667699 - 05/12/04 08:58 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yes Fireworks God, there's a solution!
I think 2030 is about the date this is supposed to happen.
Im curious to see what we will be by then, cuz i also heard that by 2030 machines will be more intelligent than men, or that by 2030 the population of the third world (including these africans yall are talking abt) will have revolted against us crazy baldheads...
alot of other things can happen between now and when oil runs out...

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2667828 - 05/12/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

common sense tells us that the nature of life is that you win some and you lose some. there are two worlds that we deal with simultaneously, the internal one and the external one. while we cannot fully control the external one, it is the internal one that we should focus most on. Yet, it is the external one that most of us choose to rely on our happiness. this really doesn't make sense since the external world will never give us what we want even half of the time. firthermore, when things do go our we, we don't truley appreciate everything about it. Let us try to focus on the internal one for our happiness since that is the one we can control. furthermore, since we can see that the nature of life is that you win some and you lose some, you will see the utter futility in trying to rely or control the situations around us for our happiness.

to do this we need acceptance, pure and simple. acceptance of the world around us, and ourselves. sure a rich man is rich, but in this society, how many toes did he/she have to step on in order to get there? having more, means more fear of losing what one has, so really a rich person can be worse of internally than a man in africa, jsut because of the ideas held inside their head.

Eveyrthing doesn't balance out unless you try to provide and work for the ideas that will bring your balance. it isn't the materials that will bring you happiness, flashes of pleasure sure, but not continuous happiness. i am jsut a person typing on a computer, trying to convey ideas, that's all. sit back and think, you have a computer! which means you have shleter and food as well, electricity, running water, things many people don't have. yet we don't appreciate it moment by moment. see! it isn't what happens outside, it's about the inside! WE ARE THE RICH!

as for cheap oil, a lot can happen before then. we may develope cold fusion by then..who knows. if you are really concerned about it then lets help each other and do something about. proposals????

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology