Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Brian Jones] * 1
    #26400963 - 12/25/19 08:37 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
In 2010 we had troops in 150 countries. In 2017 it was 177.

As you know, the relevant years are 2016 and 2019.  In Dec 2016 we had troops in 177 countries.  In Sep 2019 it was down to 169 (source).

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
I know we have a lot of troops in South Korea, but it should be one of the last places we pull them from.

I don't think we should pull the troops and then wait to see if that induces Kim to denuclearize.

I think this a very risky maneuver primarily motivated by Trump wanting to be able to say he accomplished something.

What's the risk?  South Korea has a sizable military and a more powerful Air Force and Navy.  We're the ones who are famous for breaking our promises.  :shrug:

The potential gain would be huge.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #26400986 - 12/25/19 09:17 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

North Korea isn’t giving up its nukes :laugh2:

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #26400987 - 12/25/19 09:18 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

We have far more troops in Germany and Japan. So what's the risk there and the expense? To me talking about pulling the troops out of South Korea is strictly a Trump vanity project.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: koods]
    #26400989 - 12/25/19 09:22 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
North Korea isn’t giving up its nukes :laugh2:

Of course they're not if they get nothing in return.  That should go without saying.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Brian Jones] * 1
    #26400991 - 12/25/19 09:23 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
We have far more troops in Germany and Japan. So what's the risk there and the expense?

Believe me, I'm all for troop removal.  :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

#26402171 - 12/26/19 09:01 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

I think if we pull out of Korea (or Japan and Germany) it will cause massive nuclear proliferation. The agreements we made with these countries to not develop nukes is contingent on our being there.

It would be great for many reasons to avoid these foreign entanglements, but we are stuck in a "you broke it, you pay for it" situation. It would cause a power vacuum in Asia and Europe that China and Russia would quickly fill. I realize this is neoliberal reasoning, but I don't see a solution that doesn't involve these consequences.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Brian Jones]
    #26402211 - 12/26/19 09:45 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
It would be great for many reasons to avoid these foreign entanglements, but we are stuck in a "you broke it, you pay for it" situation. It would cause a power vacuum in Asia and Europe that China and Russia would quickly fill. I realize this is neoliberal reasoning, but I don't see a solution that doesn't involve these consequences.

In 1994 with Clinton's approval, Carter struck a deal with North Korea where they agreed to freeze their nuclear program in exchange for some fuel oil and two nuclear reactors.  A win-win outcome for both sides.

But in 2002, Bush declared North Korea part of the "Axis of Evil", ending shipments of fuel and cancelling the construction of the promised nuclear reactors.  Any moron could have predicted the outcome, but the Bush administration didn't. 

North Korea withdrew from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, expelled atomic energy agency inspectors, resumed processing fuel rods and began redeveloping nuclear explosive devices.  And four years later, BOOM... 

Maybe we can try something like that again, or maybe North Korea learned it can't trust the United States.  :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleTulipslave
Homo sapiens sapiens, lol

Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 2
    #26402232 - 12/26/19 10:07 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Brian Jones said:

In 1994 with Clinton's approval, Carter struck a deal with North Korea where they agreed to freeze their nuclear program in exchange for some fuel oil and two nuclear reactors.  A win-win outcome for both sides.

But in 2002, Bush declared North Korea part of the "Axis of Evil", ending shipments of fuel and cancelling the construction of the promised nuclear reactors.  Any moron could have predicted the outcome, but the Bush administration didn't. 

North Korea withdrew from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, expelled atomic energy agency inspectors, resumed processing fuel rods and began redeveloping nuclear explosive devices.  And four years later, BOOM... 

Maybe we can try something like that again, or maybe North Korea learned it can't trust the United States.  :shrug:

and Kim Jong Un has also had the pleasure of seeing what happened to Muammar al-Gaddafi and is happening to Maduro

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Tulipslave]
    #26402630 - 12/27/19 08:01 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Responding respectfully to the two posters above me. Yes the U.S. can't be trusted. You will get no argument from me. What I'm saying is South Korea's nuclear weapons program starts the second we talk about pulling U.S. troops. Hypothetically, Germany and Japan would do the same thing. I know we wrote their constitutions, but that is all moot if we pull our troops. If Pakistan and North Korea can develop nuclear missiles, then how long would it take those three super brain power countries?

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Brian Jones]
    #26402940 - 12/27/19 11:53 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
What I'm saying is South Korea's nuclear weapons program starts the second we talk about pulling U.S. troops.

I think you meant North Korea, right?

You might be right, you might be wrong.  But I'm fairly confident they won't denuclearize because of US chest pounding, as we're now hoping.

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 3
    #26402947 - 12/27/19 11:59 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

No he’s saying without the US supporting the defense of South Korea, South Korea will develop their own nukes to counter North Koreas

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: koods]
    #26402958 - 12/27/19 12:13 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
No he’s saying without the US supporting the defense of South Korea, South Korea will develop their own nukes to counter North Koreas

Or South Korea would focus on peace and reunification, something Moon was elected to do, since the United States would no longer get in the way by attempting to keep our military industrial complex healthy with plenty of enemies.

--------------------

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#26402968 - 12/27/19 12:24 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I  have to imagine the only way Korea could reunite is if the Kim dynasty gave up control , that isn’t going to happen though and South Korea isn’t going to accept stalanistic regime control so it seems like an unrealistic goal to say the least .

--------------------

Offlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Psilynut2]
    #26402972 - 12/27/19 12:26 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Imagine if they went to an open border system, NK would be vacant in weeks.

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: christopera]
    #26403000 - 12/27/19 12:55 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Ya what’s supposed to happen when all the people in the north realize they are free and start demanding economic equality on par with those in the south ?  Another war probably .

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: Psilynut2] * 1
    #26403017 - 12/27/19 01:03 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Imagine what would happen if the US removed all sanctions on North Korea and allowed the people there a chance at a better life.  But the US will NEVER give a communist country a chance to succeed.  That's why the restrictions with Cuba were never removed under Obama.

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#26403084 - 12/27/19 02:15 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Imagine what would happen if the US removed all sanctions on North Korea and allowed the people there a chance at a better life.  But the US will NEVER give a communist country a chance to succeed.  That's why the restrictions with Cuba were never removed under Obama.

Sanctions are not the reason North Korea the worst place on earth.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: koods] * 1
    #26403086 - 12/27/19 02:17 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Sanctions probably aren’t helping, eh?

What exactly do we gain by sanctioning NK?

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

Edited by christopera (12/27/19 02:18 PM)

OfflineNear Dylan
Shitpost Artist

Re: My thoughts on Trump, his impeachment and his legacy [Re: christopera]
    #26403110 - 12/27/19 02:38 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Leverage

--------------------

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#26403152 - 12/27/19 03:26 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Imagine what would happen if the US removed all sanctions on North Korea and allowed the people there a chance at a better life

Imagine what would happen if the North Koreans rose up and killed the entire Kim family and decided they preferred freedom and democracy to a dictatorship . Imagine if Kim just stepped aside and allowed his people to have a better life .
  We can’t help the people of North Korea Or South Korea from a position of weakness , and that’s what you want .

--------------------

Edited by Psilynut2 (12/27/19 03:26 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom