Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheBigOther
Big Other
Male

Third spawn, substrate looking a bit black. Please help.
    #26389855 - 12/19/19 02:11 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

This  is the third flush of kit grown, day 24 into fruiting. After each flush, as instructed, I filled the bins half with water and let sit overnight then drained and resumed fruiting in bag. Temperature kept within 18-22c during fruiting. It looks like some black mold(?) is starting on two of the four bins? Not sure if this is normal? Also looks dry, and normally I would soak again and try for another flush, but leaving for two weeks and need to store. Should I put the bins in the fridge with lid to keep dormant during these couple weeks away?
Thank you.

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeaBass
Take me to the river!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Third spawn, substrate looking a bit black. Please help. [Re: TheBigOther]
    #26389892 - 12/19/19 02:58 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I usually toss it after the third flush.
First pic bin#3 looks like something's wrong with the yellowish blobs around the mushroom bodies.(i could be wrong...hard to tell from the pic)

When the mush drop spores the surface turns black and tends to look worse after soaking.(its hard to tell from the photos if its mold) Pic#2 bin#2

If your going to be away and want to cool them for storage then go ahead...its just another experiment to learn from. (not sure how clean the fridge is).

When you soak over night if you put a similar bin on top (inside) with weight in it to keep it submerged under the water.

--------------------
No matter where go...im still me!

OfflineSeaBass
Take me to the river!
Male User Gallery

Re: Third spawn, substrate looking a bit black. Please help. [Re: SeaBass]
    #26389898 - 12/19/19 03:11 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I forgot to ask How are you getting air exchange in those bins?

If you drill 1 1/2" holes above where the top of the sub will be..have them taped over during colonization then remove duct tape stuff holes with poly fill when introduced to fruiting conditions also have a fan in the room running 24/7 but dont have it pointed directly at them...mist if needed.

don't push to hard when making the holes as bins crack easily.

--------------------

InvisibleAyePlus
Tote-tally awesome
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #26390360 - 12/19/19 11:32 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Yeah its time to say goodbye.

Drops some agar to new jars or do some g2gs before you leave and they will be close to colonized when you get back and you can make a new one.

OfflineTheBigOther
Big Other
Male

#26390365 - 12/19/19 11:35 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Thanks seabass! As per the kit, I have the bins in large clear bags with holes along the sides (see photo below). The kit instructs to submerge overnight, drain, then bag them for fruiting. It’s been working so far. Someone mentioned insufficient fae so I cut larger holes in the bags and continued the process. They’ve been mostly fruiting from the sides. Maybe a result of the bins sitting on a radiant heated carpeted floor.

So for storing, I could just remove them from the bags, put the bin lids back on each one, and place in the fridge? Any need to soak before doing this?

Here’s what they look like bagged in fruiting stage

--------------------

OfflineTheBigOther
Big Other
Male

Re: Third spawn, substrate looking a bit black. Please help. [Re: AyePlus]
    #26390378 - 12/19/19 11:48 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AyePlus said:
Yeah its time to say goodbye.

Drops some agar to new jars or do some g2gs before you leave and they will be close to colonized when you get back and you can make a new one.

Sorry I’m new. I searched “g2gs” and didn’t find anything. I’m very interested in recolonization using what I have, and would like to do it before I leave on Saturday for the holidays. Can you walk me thru this process or point me to the correct instructions? Thanks in advance!

--------------------

InvisibleAyePlus
Tote-tally awesome
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #26390389 - 12/19/19 11:54 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

After a couple flushes the substrate is generally considered spent and is disposed of.

I go for two and toss, second flush is rarely more than 1/2 the yield of the first, and third seems to be just a few large fruits. Since space is generally the limiting factor, most dont consider it worthwhile to go for more than that, but for those just trying to produce a little bit for fun it might be.

You could put them in the fridge and try to fruit them again when you get back but its likely that with the stress of being refrigerated combined with the energy loss from fruiting a couple times, contamination isn’t far away.

G2G refers to grain to grain transfer. But judging by your last two posts this was a kit, and you probably dont have any colonized grain, Hopefully you cloned a fruit or took a spore print so you can continue on, but the returns are diminished after every flush. I’d say its time to order some agar supplies and spores if you didnt save any, or roll the dice with another kit(not recommended by most) and read up on sterile technique and cloning

OfflineTheBigOther
Big Other
Male

Re: Third spawn, substrate looking a bit black. Please help. [Re: AyePlus]
    #26390413 - 12/19/19 12:11 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Thanks. yes one of my last kits produced a few large shrooms.
I’ll try to store them in the fridge and see what happens. In the meantime, I’ll be learning about doing it myself rather than kit.

--------------------

OfflineSeaBass
Take me to the river!
Male User Gallery

#26390500 - 12/19/19 01:07 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Your welcome

AyePlus is spot on! Get a clone and toss it.

Also definitely not enough air exchange with the bags. Colonize them sealed with lid and tape and put a black bag over them till their ready. Then remove bag tape on the lid and holes i mentioned poly fill holes when fully colonized.No need for bags after that. Once its fully colonized its pretty resistant to contams but its good to keep the room/closet clean for good measure.

Research more and experience does the rest.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation