Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOHShroom
Stranger
First Find First Post need ID
    #2638776 - 05/04/04 10:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok this is my first post so I hope I don't F up..... wish me luck...

I found some mushrooms growing under my deck over the weekend that resemble the descriptions I have read of Panaeolus subbalteatus. I went out and clipped some of the mushrooms that were a little bit bigger and had not dried up yet (has not rained here in about 3 days). I don't have a digital camera right now but will make sure to have one tomarrow and get pictures. How ever this is what I am able to tell you as of right now. Hope some one can help me ID

SIZE
1. 5.08 Centimeters tall
2. Cap Size
2.00 Cent Wide some aprox 4.0 cent wide
.5 cent thick
3. The stems are about 5.0 Cent tall

SHAPE
1. The caps have a bell shape, with an umbonet where the stem meets the cap
2. The Stem runs right down the center of the mushroom.

Touch
1. THe caps are smooth and and soft almost rubbery. But they are not moist or slimy.
2. The stems are soft and were a little whet when I picked them but now they are just soft.

Visual
1. The Caps are a Brown at the very top where the stem meets the cap, then most of the rest of the cap is a light brown/tan color and then on the edges are black or dark dark brown.

2. The Gills are a dark chocolate brown on the young ones while the ones that are a little older are almost black. The gills are kind of close together and they run from the stem to the end of the cap.

3. The stems look like they are made up of tiny little fibers. I do not believe the stems are hollow. They seem solid to me. If they are hollow the hollow part is impossible to see, so I'm going with solid. Also the stems are white.

4. Spore Print:
The first spore print I took was on a paper towel.... bad idea. I did how ever take another one on a piece of plain white paper. Now on the paper towl I used a smaller cap and came up with a dark brown print. When I did the print with a larger cap it came out black.

Bruising:
They are not bruising blue or purple or what ever at all. The only bruising I have seen is that the stems are a brownish color where I cut them at.

Oh shit almost forgot something
The area I found them in like I said was under my deck. There is no sunlight hitting this area. The mushrooms were growing in an area where the previous home owner had dumped top soil and where leaves and wood chips had been sitting all winter. There is a stone walk way under the deack and between the grooves and around the walk way the mushrooms were growing in small clumps of about 3-7.

OK I hope this is enough. Excuse my spelling. I will post pictures tomarrow. Just wanted to get this post up tonight out of excitment.

Thank You

Edited by OHShroom (05/04/04 11:01 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
Re: First Find First Post need ID [Re: OHShroom]
    #2639597 - 05/05/04 02:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like panaeolus foenisecii personaly, cause the stem... and also the size... definately pictures would help... where do you live?

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2639784 - 05/05/04 02:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm... i'd guess Psathyrella but could very well be Pan foen, usually pan foens wouldn't be described as having white stems, i guess they could.
Peace

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN
    #2639791 - 05/05/04 02:54 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That almost sounds like the pans ive been finding.

OfflineOHShroom
Stranger
Re: First Find First Post need ID [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2640701 - 05/05/04 09:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok I did a little bit more research on my find last night and I found a site describing Panaeolus subbalteatus with a picture. The picture lookd exactlly like the mushrooms that I found.... only problem being that the picture was not of Panaeolus subbalteatus but of Coprinus micaceus. The site said that Panaeolus subbalteatus are not striate on the cap which the mushrooms that I found are striate. So my guess is going to be that they are Coprinus micaceus... How could I be sure that they are panaeolus foenisecii or Coprinus Micaceus?

Also to answer your question dalton I live in Northern Ohio.

I'm hoping that there are stil a few of them left out there tonight when I get home. If not it looks like we are going to get some rain here twords the end of the week and it's going to warm up a bit. I'll take some pictures and post them if they come back.

Thanks for all the help.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2640853 - 05/05/04 10:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Panaeolina foenisecii has dark brown spore print and Coprinus has a pure black print. That is the ddifference between Panaeolina foenisecii and Coprinus sp.

Panaeolus subbalteatus is m a much larger mushroom than panaeolina and it has black spores and a jet black spore print.

And late June through August is the Ohio season for Psilocybe caerulipes, a woodchip variety of mushroom found from Florida onthe east Coast to Ohio, Michigan and Ontario and the northeast USA.

It i has a chestnut colored cap to straw-yellow in drrying a whitish-yellowish-straw colored stem with heavy bluing in the stipe.

Pictures are at my site.

mj

Anonymous

#2640880 - 05/05/04 11:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineOHShroom
Stranger
Re: First Find First Post need ID [Re: ]
    #2641366 - 05/05/04 01:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey great site MJ. I've actually visited your site a few different times in the past just trying to learn a bit about mushrooms.

Thanks alot for helping a noob out. Even though the ones I have found were not active, it's great just learning something. As I said before I just bought this house and there is about 50+ acres of woods behind it. Now I have a great excuse to go out and wonder around back there this spring and summer. Thanks alot and thank you for welcoming me Mr Mushroom.

Oh and by the way they after looking at the pics and reading a bit I do not think they are P foes, I'm going to go with Coprinus micaeus just because of the striate.

Edited by OHShroom (05/05/04 01:39 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification