Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Smarts Phucket Bucket - Coir prep * 3
    #26385018 - 12/16/19 12:16 PM (6 months, 15 days ago)

:scaryshroom:
Mindless Coir Hydration!
:scaryshroom:

"I really love weighing my chunks of broken coir and scouring the shroomery for formulas regarding measuring water to add so that I get proper field capacity. I also enjoy deciding whos advice to take given how many opinions there are"

-  Nobody, Ever.

:picard:
I have to admit that it is a tad painful reading all the posts about peoples coir troubles. Everybody has there own way of doing things. I happen to be a weirdo who likes things to be easy and effective. Here I just want to share a very cheap, easy to make and versatile item I have in my mushroom toolbox.

Ok,  looks like three 5 Gal. buckets stacked on top of each other..... It is.

However, the top bucket has one of those cool screw top lid adapters on it instead of a normal lid, and the floor of the bucket has a bunch of like ~sub 1/16" holes drilled in it.

It also has some sealing foam cord glued around the bottom edge where it contacts the second bucket to make a quasi seal.

The stuff used is basically this kind of thing, available at any of your favorite hardware stores or big box places.

Now, the other two buckets are important, however they require no modifications at all, just buckets. If there is ANYTHING specific about these buckets, it is that they have a thick section of offset webbing for support at the top edge rather than just a simple lip. This is important as it holds each bucket relatively high off the next bucket allowing an air space in between. This is easy to see in the 4th pic. Notice the one wide band and the 2 small bands molded into the rim. This design is desirable and you do not want the buckets with just a simple top lip and cheesy reinforcement area for the handle.

At this point you are probably wondering what the hell I am talking about and what this is for. This assembly of buckets is how I simply and reliably hydrate and "cook" my coir for substrate prep. It's really basic stuff.

Simply put a bunch of coir in there,  (I'm not including even rough amounts here because that requires thinking and defeats the whole point of no brainer-ness.)  I had a good idea of amounts to use for this literally after one use, part of the point is also how forgiving it is to the amounts used, so just try it and it will be very intuitive. If you make too much coir, just store it. If you make too little, do another batch. :shrug:  From here on you will know what to do.

Now boil up a bunch of water.....I use my PC for this.

.......OK so I have to admit, maybe there is some thought involved here. It is not as though you can simply boil ANY amount of water and have this go well. You need an appropriate amount....roughly.

So whats going to happen here is you are going to dump your boiling water slowly over your coir chunks trying to hit them all as it goes in to speed the process up. All excess water is going to drain through the holes under your coir and into the second bucket. With my particular buckets, the space between the floor of one bucket to the next is enough for over 1 Gal. of water. Not only is excess water drained past, but you have a large margin for error here and you want to use that margin. The more water in the second bucket the better as it will steam the coir and hold its heat longer than a small amount. The foam sealant between the two buckets helps seal the steam from escaping and most of it will rise back up through the strainer holes. At this point I like to keep the screw lid on but not fully seated. The third bucket is simply there to provide insulation for the hot water in the second bucket. No, its not a Yeti thermos but i helps a surprising amount. I find my coir is hot for a few hours in this setup, it cools much quicker without the third bucket. From here on its as simple as waiting 30 minutes or so before opening it up and giving it a quick stir. You can at this point easily break up any now softened chunks and let it continue to sit as long as you like.

If you did by chance add too much water so that the bottom of the coir is submerged, simply pour some off and continue. If there is still a half gallon of room left I would suggest heating and adding a bit more. Your mileage obviously may vary but I find that after an hour or two the coir is fully expanded, hot, and hydrated perfectly. If anything, it is going to be what some may consider on the dry side but that's how I run it with great success. If this isnt reason enough to spend the $15 and 20 minutes needed to build one, there is another excellent use. This is hands down the easiest way ever to drain your grains after boiling or soak. In fact I actually hydrate my oats a bit the same as the coir, simply boil grain for 20-25 minutes then dump and let steam do the rest which works nicely as its more gentle and bursts fewer grains. In the meantime you also have 2 unmodified buckets to use for whatever buckets are good for (many things as it turns out).

:scaryshroom:  :trippinbawelz:  :scaryshroom:

Edited by Smartattack (01/03/20 08:01 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMr_enforcer1
Finder-less
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Smartattack]
    #26385051 - 12/16/19 12:30 PM (6 months, 15 days ago)

Nice :thumbup:

--------------------
HOW TO UPLOAD A PICTURE

Offlinesan pedro guy
Captain
 User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Mr_enforcer1]
    #26385130 - 12/16/19 01:12 PM (6 months, 15 days ago)

why use boiled water?

I thought you were going to use the third bucket as a press to squeeze out excess water....

nice writeup btw I like the green.

InvisibleYogiBearS
Male User Gallery

#26385257 - 12/16/19 02:24 PM (6 months, 15 days ago)

Sweet!!!

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: san pedro guy]
    #26385275 - 12/16/19 02:32 PM (6 months, 15 days ago)

Quote:

san pedro guy said:
why use boiled water?

I thought you were going to use the third bucket as a press to squeeze out excess water....

nice writeup btw I like the green.

Because you want hot water for it all to work.:shrug:

Also, there is no excess water, that's the whole point.

Offlinetydygy
Just Strange

#26494805 - 02/20/20 09:53 AM (4 months, 11 days ago)

The Phucket Bucket(tm) looks like pure genius.:cool: I made mine in a lovely shade of Home Depot orange. I do have a question or observation, though. You say that you used a sub 1/16” drill bit for the holes. I already had a 1/4” bit queued up because I was drilling some of Eat’s sfd modified jar lids and didn’t pay close enough attention. I thought, “No biggie, because I could just use that one as my bottom coozey bucket.” But after drilling another bucket with a 1/16 inch bit, the bottom didn’t look like your picture.

So, can you confirm that you recommend the smaller holes? I am thinking that the smaller holes might be better for preparing oats. I suppose I could give both ways a try and let you know if one seems better than the other. I should be ready to start oat jars next week.

Thanks for all of your insights.

Quarter inch holes

Sixteenth in holes (I will probably need to add more; battery recharging)

My orange beauty

P.S. They had two sizes of that sealing foam cord at Home Depot in the door hardware section. I was able to determine from your picture that you used the smaller size. Just throwing that our there for anyone who was having trouble. The one that says “For gaps 3/8” wide” is a perfect fit. The other was for a half inch or something.

:peace:

OfflineMr.Wizard
Harbinger of Hallucination
 User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: tydygy]
    #26495201 - 02/20/20 01:23 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

I had made the double bucket tek to do laundry by hand last summer, and the bucket found it's use again now in mycology! EDIT: Also, I found that using another bucket to press water out of my laundry was not effective. I wouldn't recommend it as a way to reduce the water in your substrate if you have that problem.

My holes are much bigger (~5/16), and I do have some stuff slip through, I'd make them smaller and just in the bottom like this tek if/when I do it again.

I haven't yet, but I wanted to get one of those lids, and use 3 buckets as an insulated media container. You beat me to it!

Good write up, cheers!

--------------------
New folk research:

Tricks to the search bar: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24270830

If you only want to remember one resource: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24420178

Bod's link repository: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24144021

My easy to see modified no-pour: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26467702

Edited by Mr.Wizard (02/20/20 01:26 PM)

Invisiblegizmo1S
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Mr.Wizard] * 1
    #26495227 - 02/20/20 01:40 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

Nice tek I've been using strainer buckets for about 10 years now. Started because I was broke and stranded couldn't afford a strainer for grains so I made one out of some buckets I found in a field and a antique drill I found in my landlords shed lmao.
I also use those same gamma lids when prepping coir, and for storing shit.

Here's my first strainer bucket I ever made.

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: gizmo1]
    #26495489 - 02/20/20 03:39 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

Yeah 1/16" holes are more better. As you said, oats can't fit through the holes plus only the small powder of the coir will run through. I agree that yours just needs a lot more holes. I think that a 1/4" will let too much coir pass through.

OfflineTormato
It’s OK!! I’m a Limo Driver!! 😁
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Smartattack] * 1
    #26495631 - 02/20/20 04:58 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

I just use cold water :shrug:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Tormato]
    #26495900 - 02/20/20 07:16 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

Cold water works...if you measure it. The whole point here is to let the steam rising back through the coir to do the perfect hydrating. I mean I guess if you poured enough cold through it it would work but this is truly mindless in process.

OfflineInfiniteDreams
Student of the Drum
Male

Loc: Center of your mind
    #26495963 - 02/20/20 07:47 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

This is some good tek here :takingnotes:

--------------------
One quirky, cliched phrase.

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: InfiniteDreams]
    #26519461 - 03/05/20 07:44 PM (3 months, 28 days ago)

I just stopped by to say I love this! Nice job smarts!

OfflineZakkery
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Sockadin]
    #26519983 - 03/06/20 04:45 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

This is going on my list of upcoming projects for sure. Very smarts indeed.

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Zakkery]
    #26520092 - 03/06/20 07:03 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Thanks y'all. Using it right now. :rockon:

OfflineSofaking420
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myco mountain
    #26520100 - 03/06/20 07:12 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Nice set up man!

What about any insulation for the outside?

Have a good day

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Sofaking420]
    #26520116 - 03/06/20 07:23 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Sofaking420 said:
Nice set up man!

What about any insulation for the outside?

Have a good day

The third bucket provides the insulation for the inner two buckets. Easy peasy.

OfflineSofaking420
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myco mountain
    #26520207 - 03/06/20 08:41 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Going to grab some buckets today anyways. Might as well grab a few for one of these.

Ive been using my old pc for coir prep and have to do 2 runs for enough coir.

Funny this pops up because i need to prepare some tomorrow. :rockon:

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Re: Smart's Phucket Bucket - Coir prep [Re: Sofaking420]
    #26520307 - 03/06/20 09:49 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

You won't regret it if you've been rocking your PC for prep.

:judyfacepalm:

The screw top lid is something I would not want to do without myself but certainly not a necessary addition.

Offlinetydygy
Just Strange

#26548946 - 03/21/20 01:33 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

I know you get tired of hearing it, Smart,  but you are a fucking genius. I just completed my first spawn to sub in an unmodified tub. The field capacity was just like the videos show it should be. Couldn’t have been simpler.  Also used it to prep my oats and that was stupid simple too.

Thanks, dude.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation