Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

discoloration of caps
    #2638196 - 05/04/04 08:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Does anybody know what it means when there are dark spots on the caps of mushrooms. I'm fairly sure it isn't bacterial blotch its more of just a discoloration. Is it caused by some environment issue such as too high of humidity or lack of air exchange or possibly pH?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: discoloration of caps [Re: relativexistance]
    #2638215 - 05/04/04 08:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Pictures would be nice, or perhaps a better description than just "discolored". Dark spots that appear wet are usually bacterial blotch. It will get worse, sometimes turning the whole cap to slime.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinerelativexistance
 User Gallery

Re: discoloration of caps [Re: ATWAR]
    #2638238 - 05/04/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I dont have a digital camera right now but maybe I can find one by tomarrow. However I have seen this same issue in past grows and the mushrooms never deteriorated in any way. They matured fully and the spots just stretched. The caps are just darker in some areas. Instead of being a uniform color they are darker orange/maroonish. The spots arent an unnatural color to the specimen, just like part of the cap is maturing at a different rate or something. I'll try and get a pic up soon.

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: discoloration of caps [Re: relativexistance]
    #2638338 - 05/04/04 09:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Im assuming it isent spores being deposeted from other mushrooms, and in my expirence, caps dont blue that much unless handled pretty harshly, so ill throw the bruising out the window as well.

Why dont you tell us about your set-up...
What are the temps?
What is the RH?
How much air exchange do you usually give?

Its not a PH problem... the main reason you want your PH at the right level is because you want your mushrooms to be easy to pick, and not tear up the whole casing layer with em.

Does it seem like these spots are apart of the mushrooms cap, or growing 'on' the mushrooms cap?

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Offlinerelativexistance
 User Gallery

Re: discoloration of caps [Re: TheDrugStore]
    #2638441 - 05/04/04 09:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Its def not spore deposits because they aren't even that far off yet. It seems as if it is part of the cap. The temp is at or around 75 deg F all the time. The RH i am not entirely sure of but it should be around 80% maybe a bit higher sometimes.

I have a ultrasonic humidifier running every 3 hours for only a minute each time which I use for humidity and for air flow with a hole cut in the near the bottom of the bin for CO2 escape.

I feel the problem may be too much humidity despite having a decently sized rubbermaid bin. I think the humidifier may put out too much. I had my humidifier set to only go off every 4 hours and it seemed to be fairly good but I was a bit concerned about the air exchange and a friend of mine thought that I wouldn't have enough, although it definatly exchanges air because if I let the humidifer run for say 4 minutes or so you can see plenty of very humid air flow out of the hole at a good rate which means that much air is being transfered whenever its on.

I am thinking maybe I might be just overwatering the terranium since I am using casings and I may not to humidify it so much. The air exchange is my main concern though, I think I may just reduce the number of times the humidifier turns on and maybe fan it a couple times a day or possible modify the line to the terranium with another chamber or so to reduce the amount of humidity pumped in at once.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation