Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classroo
    #2637818 - 05/04/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classrooms

By Jim Brown
April 30, 2004

(AgapePress) - A political science professor at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) says colleges are not doing enough to shield students from liberal bias in the classroom.

Dr. Sandy Lakoff, the founder of UCSD political science department, says most schools today do not have adequate procedures to address student complaints alleging bias or indoctrination by professors. Lakoff gives a probable explanation for this situation.

"In the interests of maintaining academic freedom, neither administrators nor the faculty organizations like faculty senates are anxious to set up any kind of boards that could be considered to be interfering with what goes on in the classroom," he says.

But the UCSD professor says the schools and faculty groups have "gone too far in that regard because they don't protect the rights of students against that type of behavior." Because of this, he says the important question for students to ask becomes not "What are the political views of my professors?" but rather, "What do my professors do in their classrooms and in their scholarship?"

While Lakoff believes most college professors are politically liberal, he contends that this is not a problem so long as they do not allow their personal views to skew their teaching. "In scholarship, of course, we give people wide latitude, and the same is true for classrooms, provided that it's not misused," he says.

In other words, the political science scholar observes, "in a way it's probably true to say that most faculty in the social sciences and humanities tend to be on the liberal side of the spectrum, but the issue is why should that be relevant to what they do in class."

Lakoff has expressed support for a "Students' Academic Bill of Rights" that is being forwarded by conservative activist David Horowitz, and which is being used as model legislation in several states.

Link

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classroo [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2637829 - 05/04/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

College students are mostly rational adults who can make decisions for themselves. Most of my liberal professors will at least admit their liberal tendencies and although they editorialize, they also usually try to present the opposing view as well.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classroo [Re: silversoul7]
    #2637860 - 05/04/04 05:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

College students are mostly rational adults who can make decisions for themselves.

You kill me. No really, you do.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
Re: Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classroo [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2637885 - 05/04/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It's better off this way. If you put a bunch of conservatives in as teachers, you'd have bullshit like creationism flying around. If you want a conservative education, go to a private religious college or something.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classroo [Re: bert]
    #2637900 - 05/04/04 05:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry but neither sides bias is appropriate in the classroom.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #2637902 - 05/04/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Saying that is akin to saying with liberal teachers, you'd have bullshit like communism flying around.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Invisiblebert
bodhi

#2637917 - 05/04/04 05:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It is impossible to have a biasless classroom. There isn't a middle ground of objective 'truth' in many subjects like history, government, etc. The only place where bias tends to not shine through so much is in the hard sciences. Where it shouldn't matter anyways.

d33p: that's true, I'm talking about extremes. If the professors aren't extreme in their political ideology then it shouldn't matter at all.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2637926 - 05/04/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Sorry but neither sides bias is appropriate in the classroom.

It is if the students are full-grown adults of voting age. By then they ought to be able to make decisions for themselves, and thus more bias is acceptable. If this were kindergarden, I'd agree that bias is inappropriate, but college classrooms are for rational adults.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2637927 - 05/04/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

How about teachers just tell exactly what happened in history and government without putting their own spin on it or without trying to make one side seem more appealing.

--------------------

bang bang

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classroo [Re: d33p]
    #2637936 - 05/04/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The thing about History is there's not just one side to every story. You can't just "tell history the way it is" because there are often disagreements among professional historians as to how it really was.

--------------------

Invisiblebert
bodhi

#2637937 - 05/04/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Like I said, you can't 'just tell what happened' without a subjective aspect. Otherwise it would be a class completely composed of statistics and all you would do is memorize population stats and stuff. My history teacher lectures about slavery and he obviously thinks slavery is wrong. Should he be forced to teach slavery as a neutral event?

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2637958 - 05/04/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bert said:
Like I said, you can't 'just tell what happened' without a subjective aspect. Otherwise it would be a class completely composed of statistics and all you would do is memorize population stats and stuff. My history teacher lectures about slavery and he obviously thinks slavery is wrong. Should he be forced to teach slavery as a neutral event?

Well when i read a history textbook i generally dont see a great deal of bias. Why can't teaching history be like explaining it as it appears in the text.

--------------------

bang bang

Invisiblebert
bodhi

#2637976 - 05/04/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

If you don't see a bias in your history book, you aren't reading carefully enough.

Also: If that is your idea of teaching..then why have teachers at all? Why not have everyone just read at home on their own?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classroo [Re: silversoul7]
    #2637978 - 05/04/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I'd agree that bias is inappropriate, but college classrooms are for rational adults.

Stop... I'm begging you. Had I been drinking my monitor would be soaked.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2637982 - 05/04/04 05:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, let me rephrase that. College classrooms are for adults more rational and mature than you.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2637989 - 05/04/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Ok, let me rephrase that. College classrooms are for adults more rational and mature than you.

I knew I shouldn't have grabbed that glass of water!

Oh well, the monitor needed a cleaning anyway, I guess.

(By the way, that sure seems like a flame.)

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (05/04/04 05:47 PM)

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2637996 - 05/04/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bert said:
If you don't see a bias in your history book, you aren't reading carefully enough.

It is only biased in the sense that the information that it contains is primarilly on America's envolvement in history. But that might be due to the fact it is an American History text.

Or maybe it only seems unbiased compared to the lectures i recieved from teachers. Yea maybe that is it.

--------------------

bang bang

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2638081 - 05/04/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

College = High School + 1

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2638180 - 05/04/04 06:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

you can't eliminate bias.

teacher's can't be robots, everyone's got personal
opinions and agenda.

the problem arises when there is no avenue for
the opposing side in the classroom.

I went to an ultra-liberal state school in an ultra-liberal
city in an ultra-liberal state and considering all of my
course work, I feel like the political leanings were evenly
dispersed across party lines and that they were never
forced down your throat without the opportunity to
refute and argue the points.

I agree with ss7's premise.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Academic Calls for Colleges to Curb Liberal Bias In Classroo [Re: afoaf]
    #2638191 - 05/04/04 06:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

teacher's can't be robots

Actually, they could. Or at the very least recorded lessons.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale