Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Phish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineASloan471
not a newbie
Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC
    #2637847 - 05/04/04 07:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.wsoctv.com/specialreports/3269163/detail.html

Quote:

Psychedelic mushrooms, a potent hallucinogen of the '60s, may be making a comeback in Charlotte. A recent police raid turned up a record crop of the illegal mushrooms.

"The mushrooms are not safe and shouldn't be consumed," said Capt. Tim Jayne of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department. "The side effects are detrimental."

Jayne, who heads up Charlotte's vice unit said he received a tip that led him to a house in east Charlotte. When officers smelled marjuana, they got a search warrant. It was during the search that they discovered mushrooms placed in jars in a back room.

"We were a bit surprised," said Jayne. "It was a grow operation -- manufacturing the product by growing in the the house."

Investigators estimated around 50,000 grams -- or about 100 pounds -- of the hallucinogenic mushrooms.

"Many people who use mushrooms are young," said Wally Gilewski, who's worked for years in drug treatment. "Some are very young and are just beginning to experiment with drugs. We deal with children from 13 to 17 years of age who start with these mushrooms and go from there."

Darrell Stilwell an example of someone who fits Gilewski's profile. He used mushrooms when he was young and said that many kids in high school were doing the same.

"I wouldn't say it was harmless," said Stilwell. "I may have tried it three times in my entire life."

Studies show that mushrooms can be dangerous and even deadly.

Police say that they find the illegal mushrooms mostly at concerts although they do turn up during some drug raids.

To date, only one person has been charged in connection with the east Charlotte drug bust.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: ASloan471]
    #2638988 - 05/04/04 11:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Studies show that mushrooms can be dangerous and even deadly.

Oh really? Show me one study that says they're deadly. Just one.

What a load of crap.

InvisibleLanaV
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #2640638 - 05/05/04 08:12 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Complete and utter moronic disinformation.  The amazing thing is that these people get PAID to write this crap.

And their estimates are so wild.  100 pounds!!  I bet that includes the substrtae and jars :smile:

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: Lana]
    #2642429 - 05/05/04 06:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I wrote them a letter to protest their spread of misinformation this morning and received this response this afternoon....I'll post my letter tomorrow if anyone wants it. Its on the server at school....

"""Dear James,

Thanks for your e-mail. We always appreciate comments, even when critical, and feel it's important that the news remains a two-way communication.

As to your comments, I hope I can try to explain my reporting. The figure "50,000 grams" came directly from the court document the police filed after their search. I am not, I will say right off, an expert in drug investigations, and give them the benefit of the doubt in that regard. Having said that, whatever the amount, police and the treatment people would tell you it's a significant find because of the implications for the community. Clearly, these mushrooms were destined for distribution--and that's the point.

As for the claim that they can be deadly--the report you saw came off an internet site that catalogues the dangers of psylocibin. But I didn't have to go that far to find an example. More often, I'm told, the problem is not the toxicity of the mushrooms themselves, but the state of mind--the delusions--they induce. One of the city's top managers had a son who slashed his wrists while he was on psylocibin--quite possibly mixed with other drugs. He died. I contacted that manager, who did not want to discuss his death publicly--but there is no question that mushrooms were a contributing factor in what was finally ruled a suicide.

Finally, the point of our story was not to be alarmist, but informative. Everyone we spoke with, from police to the treatment people and those who use or have used mushrooms, told us they were surprised that so many were found here. Parents, family members, friends--can benefit by being aware that mushrooms are still around, and apparently around in good supply.

I hope that begins to answer some of your questions, and feel free to contact us anytime.

Mark Becker """"

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Anonymous

Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2644990 - 05/06/04 12:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"but there is no question that mushrooms were a contributing factor in what was finally ruled a suicide."

The same could be said about everything he ever put into his mind or body.

Invisiblethatbig
enthusiast
Loc: washington
Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: ]
    #2649753 - 05/07/04 01:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> I'm told, the problem is not the toxicity of the >mushrooms >themselves, but the state of mind--the >delusions--they induce.

Then why NOT say that.  He made his "NEWS" article appear that the actual ingredient in the mushroom are dangerous or toxic.  Yet he Anders (after being called on it of course) that its not the mushroom, but the "person" taking it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway cu dos to you, for not only bringing this article to us, but calling him on his portrayal that the mushrooms were "dangerous". :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2650697 - 05/07/04 05:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ASloan471 said:
"Many people who use mushrooms are young," said Wally Gilewski, who's worked for years in drug treatment. "Some are very young and are just beginning to experiment with drugs. We deal with children from 13 to 17 years of age who start with these mushrooms and go from there."

Gee, it just happens to mention that teenagers from 13-17 are using this drug! YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER COULD BE NEXT!

It sounds like this guy is just "journalist" who is looking to type up a story, not someone who really has any knowledge or interest in mushrooms. Its a real shame that these are the people who are the ones typing up the drug news.

I alos like how it says "Studies show that mushrooms can be dangerous and even deadly." It's the magical "studys" that has all the answers! I shudder anytime I read anything about studys, research, or scientists. Journalists love to use those terms to sound offical and scientific, but rarely understand the studies they refer to.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Invisiblethatbig
enthusiast
Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: Twirling]
    #2651642 - 05/07/04 11:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

LMFAO VERY TRUE, I figure like this how many hundreds of thousands of people have done shrooms, over the hundreds of years?

Its like any drug, they try to scare you into believing its horrible.

I tell people DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!! have a mind of your own,and dont let anyone make your mind up for you....

*GET INFORMED*

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: thatbig]
    #2658673 - 05/10/04 01:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i need to get out of america.
I can stand to listen to these morons talk, and i cant believe they ahve athoritive power, lets all get the hell out of here.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: psikooz]
    #2675877 - 05/13/04 11:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

psikooz said:
i need to get out of america.
I can stand to listen to these morons talk, and i cant believe they ahve athoritive power, lets all get the hell out of here.

I'm sure, though, that any new place you run to will have problems that could also need escaping from. How about, let's all try to fix what's wrong here.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblethatbig
enthusiast
Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2693059 - 05/17/04 09:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: thatbig]
    #2698956 - 05/19/04 12:22 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

But theres a point when you just have to accept, well, *I* have to accept, that the majority of the people in the country dont agree with me and are unwilling to reconsider their positions.

Not to say there is no hope for this country, the US I mean.  I think a return to (most) of the principles the country was founded on would be a huge step forward.  But I really dont see that happening without some kind of paradigm shift in the way people view themselves and their relationships with each other.

What I've come to realize, and I hate it every minute, is that most people in this country honestly believe that they have it good, and are unwilling to do anything that might rock the boat, however righteous the cause.

It hurts me because this is the country I was raised in.  I've been all over and its a beautiful, bountiful place that will always have a place in my heart.  That said, as soon as I finish letting the US government buy me an education, I'll be on the first airplane to someplace with an extremely low population density where I can do what I want with freedom from oppression, persecution and many of the worries of living in a modern society.

My girlfriend did alot of work for the Peace Corps in S. America and she wholeheartedly endorses living there.  She describes much of the continent as a pastoral place with tolerant people, much as I think America was a long time ago.  Look me up in Southern Peru in a few years.  :smile:

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #2749816 - 05/31/04 03:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

he says that mushrooms are a drug from the 60's, but want to know something funny? poeple where not doing mushrooms in the 60's like they are now, acid was the drug of choice in the sixities and muhsrooms where very rare. Like today with msuhrooms being prevelent and acid being rare. Hell, in the height, people sold dry mushroom soup mix spiked wiht acid as "mushrooms."

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

#2749818 - 05/31/04 03:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

and besides, people have been using muahrooms for a long, long, long time. if they where indeed "deadly", you think people woul stil be using them?

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2750153 - 05/31/04 05:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Police say that they find the illegal mushrooms mostly at concerts although they do turn up during some drug raids.

I found this interesting. Now there's an indicator of a drug that's mostly harmless.

I wonder what kinds of concerts they found it at mostly.

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: Illegal Mushrooms A Growing Concern In Charlotte, NC [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2750772 - 05/31/04 09:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

most likely dead, phish, type concerts

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Phish

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service