Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShadowman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate?
    #26372659 - 12/10/19 08:39 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

I am assuming this is ok but I got a grow kit recently and honestly didnt take the best care of it. I made a shotgun FC but didnt make holes so just fanned it daily. Didnt spray as lost it. And tried to keep the temperature stable with a hot water bottle underneath but forgot some days lol

So. After that I was expecting nothing and only got a few pins on top. However down by the perlite where it was more moist there were loads. I turned it upside down and there were some more on the bottom. So I kept it that way and it has a pretty decent flush

2 questions I was hoping for help with. The perlite is all over them which I will brush off but may have grown into some of the shrooms. Is this safe or a no no?

Also, I blitzed my shrooms last time in a dehydrator for 24 hours as was told this is safe. I took 3.5 grams and literally barely tripped. This was either due to potency as it was a grow kit (most probable) or that I chewed them and didnt grind/make tea (again part of it) or thirdly as I over dried them... I have been told you cannot do this but wanted a 2nd opinion lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: Shadowman]
    #26372678 - 12/10/19 08:51 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Perlite is puffed glass, so while yes small amounts are inert and safe to consume, I wouldn’t eat that much, and certainly wouldn’t chew it.
It’s probably best to make tea with the ones that have perlite, a strainer or filter will remove any bits.

24 hours in a dehydrator on high heat won’t affect potency, so they were probably just weak.  One of the bonuses with growing your own is you can just eat more.  Given there was a little magic in them, once you get a sizable amount it can be best to grind everything together, take a dose, note the strength and then up the dose based on that.  So if 3.5g of the mix feels light, then bump it up to say 9g.  The point of mixing it all together is so you don’t have to worry that 9g is insane as you’ve already tested the base potency.

InvisibleInfiniteDreams
Male

Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: StygianKnight]
    #26373112 - 12/10/19 01:15 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Wash them off first to get the perlite off.  I doubt the shrooms have grown around any perlite, so it should just rinse off.

OfflineLosTresOjos
Humano
I'm a teapot
Loc: Hurling Through Space
Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: InfiniteDreams]
    #26373203 - 12/10/19 01:58 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like a mess there. Just clean them off. It might be easier once they dry. That stuff just falls off. But yeah try not to consume much.

My first attempt had vermiculite on them. I tried to wash them, oh my fucking God they get slimmy. I just dried them off and used a paint brush to dust them off.

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #26373386 - 12/10/19 03:22 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Hey I’m answering all you guys, lol.

Shadowman: perlite is carcinogenic if you breath in the dust. You always water the bag before scooping any out, and outdoors as well. And it sounds like your mushrooms were weak; that is NOTHING to do with it being from a grow kit. More likely down to a multi spore grow, which is what you’ll get from a spore syringe. The next dose may be MEGA strong.

So, StygianKnight. Superb advice, I’m going to have to try that myself, to grind up the batch then adjust accordingly. I guess you put the powder into capsules? How long does it stay potent? Do you freeze the capsules?

I agree, InfiniteDreams. But I’d also say, make a tea from them, then strain. My routine, which (almost) eliminates all nausea, is, Break up the dried mushrooms and soak over with lemon juice. Pour over boiling water. Simmer on low heat, just keep a small bubbling, for 20 minutes. Make sure the water does not run dry. Strain through a dish cloth into a glass a allow to cool. Roll some bombers for the peak and come down. Drink. Rinse glass with orange juice - gets all the bits, and enough energy for the next 5nhours after a day fasting.

LosTresOjos; firstly be careful brother, vermiculite is now known to be carcinogenic. I’ve always been careful with it, it looks so off-worldly! What I do (I use V. in the substrate and as a casing) is cut it all off with scissors before drying. I get so much from my monotub I can afford to be really careful.

Stay safe people, and thanks for the posts.
DJ Ed.

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: DJ Ed]
    #26374735 - 12/11/19 10:00 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DJ Ed said:
Hey I’m answering all you guys, lol.

Shadowman: perlite is carcinogenic if you breath in the dust. You always water the bag before scooping any out, and outdoors as well. And it sounds like your mushrooms were weak; that is NOTHING to do with it being from a grow kit. More likely down to a multi spore grow, which is what you’ll get from a spore syringe. The next dose may be MEGA strong.

So, StygianKnight. Superb advice, I’m going to have to try that myself, to grind up the batch then adjust accordingly. I guess you put the powder into capsules? How long does it stay potent? Do you freeze the capsules?

I agree, InfiniteDreams. But I’d also say, make a tea from them, then strain. My routine, which (almost) eliminates all nausea, is, Break up the dried mushrooms and soak over with lemon juice. Pour over boiling water. Simmer on low heat, just keep a small bubbling, for 20 minutes. Make sure the water does not run dry. Strain through a dish cloth into a glass a allow to cool. Roll some bombers for the peak and come down. Drink. Rinse glass with orange juice - gets all the bits, and enough energy for the next 5nhours after a day fasting.

LosTresOjos; firstly be careful brother, vermiculite is now known to be carcinogenic. I’ve always been careful with it, it looks so off-worldly! What I do (I use V. in the substrate and as a casing) is cut it all off with scissors before drying. I get so much from my monotub I can afford to be really careful.

Stay safe people, and thanks for the posts.
DJ Ed.

Was interested what you said, and so did a quick google search which concludes basically that neither perlite or verm is carcinogenic.

Not meaning to be antagonistic, but on what are you basing these claims?

Quote:

Vermiculite itself is safe to use; there is no evidence that any acute or chronic toxicity or carcinogenicity exists from long-term exposure to vermiculite. ... When the vermiculite was mined, some asbestos minerals contaminated the vermiculite. These asbestos minerals are called Libby Amphibole Asbestos (LAA).

Perlite dust can aggravate existing respiratory conditions and cause eye irritation. Perlite does not cause cancer, although some commercial perlite products may also contain a very small amount of quartz, which is listed as a carcinogenic substance.

--------------------
"I'm every nightmare you ever had. I am your worst dreams come true. I am everything you ever were afraid of."

Pennywise the dancing clown

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: wolf8312]
    #26374770 - 12/11/19 10:20 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Wolff. Haven’t taken your post as antagonistic. Maybe I should Google before spreading misinformation; apologies. I used to use them both for growing weed, many moons ago. The perlite warning was on the bag. The vermiculite comment was from a post on here I read yesterday; can’t for the life of me remember which post!

I would also advise anyone taking psychedelics: do your research. So thanks bro for correcting me. I’ll try to stay factual in future posts and where I’m guessing, be explicit that it’s my guess.

How’s that? ✊🏻

Cheers,
DJ Ed

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”

Terence McKenna

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

#26374794 - 12/11/19 10:35 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DJ Ed said:

I make Tea Bags which when frozen stay good for years.

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: StygianKnight]
    #26374800 - 12/11/19 10:41 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Nice one StygianKnight, thanks very much for the info. So coffee filters, sounds perfect. And you could leave them in that while you make the tea. Awesome.

Cheers,
DJ Ed

--------------------

Terence McKenna

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: wolf8312]
    #26374812 - 12/11/19 10:50 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Hey wolff8312,
You got me all intrigued now, so I’ve done a bit of googling myself!!

The first hit for “is perlite carcinogenic” gives the following:-

Perlite dust can aggravate existing respiratory conditions and cause eye irritation. Perlite does not cause cancer, although some commercial perlite products may also contain a very small amount of quartz, which is listed as a carcinogenic substance.

So I wasn’t far wrong; not correct, however I reckon I’ve been sensible over the years to damp it down before use, open bag outdoors, and not breath the dust. Definitely do not breath the dust.

The first hit for vermiculite gives:-

Vermiculite itself is safe to use; there is no evidence that any acute or chronic toxicity or carcinogenicity exists from long-term exposure to vermiculite. ... When the vermiculite was mined, some asbestos minerals contaminated the vermiculite. These asbestos minerals are called Libby Amphibole Asbestos (LAA).

Didn’t know bout the potential asbestos risk; maybe that’s what the other post was alluding to when it said vermiculite is now known to be carcinogenic. So again not carcinogenic, but I really don’t like the stuff. I’ve never been too diligent about cutting from the roots before drying, but any that has ended up in the tea is always strained out. I know I’m no scientist, but again, reckon I’m right to be careful with the stuff.

Take care pal, and do not hesitate to correct me in any future posts; feedback always welcomed in my house, brother ✊🏻

DJ Ed

--------------------

Terence McKenna

OfflineToxic enigma
High priest of his own madness
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#26375018 - 12/11/19 12:46 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DJ Ed said:
Nice one StygianKnight, thanks very much for the info. So coffee filters, sounds perfect. And you could leave them in that while you make the tea. Awesome.

Cheers,
DJ Ed

You can also get empty tea bags called tea filters from the grocery store. Look in the tea section, I got a hundred of them for just under 6 bucks.

--------------------
The goal of life is not to arrive safely at the grave, but rather to slide in side ways yelling " holy crap what a ride".

CAUTION: contents under pressure, highly volatile, may contain language of a vulgar, subversive or blasphemous nature, handle with care, point away from face when opening.

OfflineShroomhunter33
Stranger
Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: Toxic enigma]
    #26375042 - 12/11/19 01:01 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Does anybody know if any active mushrooms grow in cow dung on the west coast?

OfflineShadowman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Perlite safe to consume? Also how to dehydrate? [Re: LosTresOjos]
    #26375119 - 12/11/19 01:46 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Cheers for the feedback guys. I've cleaned off the majority of perlite, the cancer part got me scared for a sec. But I think it sounds fairly safe, I will double check again once they are dried but the vast majority were off

Quote:

Shroomhunter33 said:
Does anybody know if any active mushrooms grow in cow dung on the west coast?

Get your own thread lol. Seriously though you will get better feedback if you title it in the forum so the best people can answer your question

Quote:

LosTresOjos said:
Sounds like a mess there. Just clean them off. It might be easier once they dry. That stuff just falls off. But yeah try not to consume much.

My first attempt had vermiculite on them. I tried to wash them, oh my fucking God they get slimmy. I just dried them off and used a paint brush to dust them off.

Cheers I think the last batch was quite weak and although I messed this one up a lot they are VERY blue compared to the last so a great sign. Currently being dehydrated for 24hours.

I like the tea bag advice! I will put mine in a tea strainer I think. I plan to get them cracker dry, put them in a grinder then a metal tea strainer I use for my green tea and have that in my morning coffee. I only plan to microdose this batch for a few months to see the effects

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

#26375138 - 12/11/19 01:54 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Yep, when in dehydrated whole form I like to crack them up and toss them into a personal sized coffee press to sit, and then just press down the bits.

Any cancer concerns would almost certainly be from inhaled dust, so I wouldn’t go huffing a bag of finely crushed perlite or anything, but even things like asbestos were mostly a danger to the miners working in dust clouds of the stuff.

Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

#26376326 - 12/12/19 12:01 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DJ Ed said:
Hey wolff8312,
You got me all intrigued now, so I’ve done a bit of googling myself!!

The first hit for “is perlite carcinogenic” gives the following:-

So I wasn’t far wrong; not correct, however I reckon I’ve been sensible over the years to damp it down before use, open bag outdoors, and not breath the dust. Definitely do not breath the dust.

The first hit for vermiculite gives:-

Didn’t know bout the potential asbestos risk; maybe that’s what the other post was alluding to when it said vermiculite is now known to be carcinogenic. So again not carcinogenic, but I really don’t like the stuff. I’ve never been too diligent about cutting from the roots before drying, but any that has ended up in the tea is always strained out. I know I’m no scientist, but again, reckon I’m right to be careful with the stuff.

Take care pal, and do not hesitate to correct me in any future posts; feedback always welcomed in my house, brother ✊🏻

DJ Ed

Okay man! Glad to meet you. See you around.

--------------------
"I'm every nightmare you ever had. I am your worst dreams come true. I am everything you ever were afraid of."

Pennywise the dancing clown

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules