Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. * 30
    #26374264 - 12/11/19 12:46 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Hello guys, I've been using these pp5 containers and I'm in love with them, I think they are the holy grail of no pour agar pp5 containers.

Features:

• No-pour compatible.
  • Great visibility. The visibility window is the own lid. See through the lid in 2D as you would do with disposable petri dishes.
  • Unmodded, no need to poke holes for GE or use filter materials, thanks to the screw top design. Contaminated air cannot travel through obscure pathways in all circumstances!
  • Sturdy plastic, plastic won't warp in the PC that easily
  • No boil-over risk in the PC
  • Easy labeling on the sides. See the suggestions bellow.
  • Pseudo-slants, see the suggestion bellow.

The closest thing for a no-pour polypropylene container to the visibility of a petri dish and without having to lose money and time with parafilm :shrug:

I achieved very little/no condensation in most of the containers after sterilization, minimal or no pooling when following this tek.

You will need 3 things for this tek.

First of all the containers. A second source Third source (12$ for 20 BUT THEY HAVE DEFECTIVE LID UNFORTUNATELY)

You will need this tall container or something similar! This one is a chocolate Christmas container. (11.25 inches tall - 3 inches diameter)

And you will need a BIG sterilizer(not really, see the mason jar method in the suggestions bellow), I'm using a AA75X. I know for noobs this might be a big step back, but oh well, you can't have everything. You need a big sterilizer because the tall container is 11 inches tall.EDIT: Condensation or pooling will evaporate in aprox 2 weeks with the lid loose, see the suggestions page bellow).

Pour the agar in the containers, i love it because 100 ml of liquid agar can pour 10 containers. So roughly 10 ml of agar per container, easy. (EDIT: I use now 20ml of agar per container, easier to do whole wedge transfers.)

This is how deep it would look roughly 10ml of agar per container.

Let them cool completely before screwing the lids (screw the lids slightly loose).

Put the tall container upside down and put the holy grail containers inside the large container, they fit perfectly inside. This tall container in particular can hold in the inside up to 10 HG containers .

I place the tall container inside the sterilizer, my sterilizer can hold up to 10 of these tall containers, so i can sterilize 100 HG containers in a single shot. Sterilize them at 17 psi for 1 hour (EDIT: since in this tek we sterilize the plates inside a mason jar or any other outer container, these plates seems to require more sterilization time to achieve the proper temperature inside the outer container, 1 hour appears to be enough). Turn off the sterilizer and walk away, do not release the steam valve, let it slowly go to 0 psi, when is at 0 psi start the counter for 1 hour, once the sterilizer is a little more cooler (still will burn your hand if you touch it), remove the lid of the PC. DON'T LEAVE the PC to cool all night! this will cause pooling in your HG containers! Take out the tall container and put it in a room with stable temperature, not your bedroom with air conditioner or heater causing big temp fluctuations!

Remove the upside down part of the tall container and ensure to stack all HG containers vertically on top of each other correctly, this is essential, very similar like when you pour agar in front of the hood or SAB and the petri that is on top is the one that get most of the condensation but the plates that are bellow don't get any condensation. (You can do this in open air, don't worry about contams.)

13 plates stacked in this picture:

Put the upside down part of the tall container back on

Wait until they cool completely, come back and this should be the result:

1.- The HG container at the top with most of the condensation (most of the condensation will go away with time anyway).

2.- less condensation

3.- even less

4.- Almost none

5.- No condensation

6.- Nope

7.-

8.-

9.-

Some pictures of pan cyan mycelium growing happily and with great visibility. I'll add more pictures later.

GREAT visibility, i would say 8.5 from 10, comparable to the visibility of a real petri dish. Eatyualive took pictures with better lighting than what i posted above:

Quote:

eatyualive said:
So far loving the plates! :thumbup:

Awesome visibility for a pp5 :cool::cool::cool:

Cons.

Edited by Mr. Alien (12/03/20 03:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: Mr. Alien] * 2
    #26374265 - 12/11/19 12:47 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Collection of suggestions

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mason quart jar method:

See how many quart mason jars you can fit inside your PC in a vertical position. You can fit inside a quart mason jar up to 6 HG plates using the mason jar plastic lid. Make sure the plates are aligned correctly within the jar, this is critical to avoid condensation as much as possible).

With a 21-quart presto PC you can fit 7 quart mason jars in a vertical position.

I have tested this and others as well. With 6 plates inside the quart mason jar, you will get 1 with heavy condensation, 2 with less condensation and 3 free of condensation. Don't worry, condensation/pooling will evaporate away in aprox 2 weeks, you just have to uncrew the lid of the plates a little bit, confirmed by many!

Let's say you have a Presto 21-qt PC and you fit 7 mason jars inside, let's say you get 3 holy grail plates free of condensation in each mason jar, that's 21 holy grail petris free of condensation and 21 with condensation.

So, by the time you finish using your 21 holy grail petris without condensation, the others plates (that had condensation) will be ready to used.

Example using quart jars.

---------------------------------------------------------------

unfortunately you can't do the tiger drop technique with these plates! The pp5 plastic of the holy grail petris is not flexible like the pasty plates. But if you want to use the tiger drop, you could use the holy grail plates for the transfers and the pasty plates for the final A2G transfer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You can label them on the sides:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
You can use them as Pseudo-Slants, they are 1" deep. They will not last longer than a real slant but they do will last more than a regular petri dish. Good option for long travel and shipping.

Recipe to make 10 pseudo-slant holy grails: POUR 300-350 ML OF AGAR IN 10 HG CONTAINERS, ROUGHLY 30-35 ML OF AGAR PER CONTAINER.

-----

Warning a shroomery user reported that he bought the containers from other source (not amazon) and it was not the same product. The visibility of the plates was worst from his source.

Edited by Mr. Alien (12/09/20 02:10 AM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: Mr. Alien] * 1
    #26374303 - 12/11/19 01:28 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Beautiful work my friend

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinesetarcoS
Future gypsum king
I'm a teapot

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: cronicr] * 1
    #26374338 - 12/11/19 02:07 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

So you inoculate by removing the lids?

Love your enthusiasm. I was waiting for the secret trick that invalidates using micropore tape/making holes in the pp container.

If working with agar slurry (~0.2% agar) then I can often get away with only using a needle through some small hole in the container. Contamination vectors are thus massively reduced. Curious to hear your thoughts

--------------------
All comments are for entertainment or legal research purposes only

"Nothing can be done, except bit by bit"

InvisibleSpunkyMonkey88
Stranger
Male

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: setarcoS] * 2
    #26374423 - 12/11/19 05:19 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I love it but where the fuck am I going to find a "large container " like that nutcracker thing you used 😂 I wonder If it's really necessary..

Awesome write up I'll have to look for those pp5s, can you link them?

InvisibleSpunkyMonkey88
Stranger
Male

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: SpunkyMonkey88] * 1
    #26374426 - 12/11/19 05:24 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Nevermind u did link them sorry..

I wonder if you just vent the PC as soon as they're done, take them out steaming hot and stack them as high as possible, if you'd have the same results reducing condensation as using your xmas tin..

Edited by SpunkyMonkey88 (12/11/19 05:44 AM)

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: SpunkyMonkey88] * 1
    #26374504 - 12/11/19 07:16 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

setarcoS said:
So you inoculate by removing the lids?

Love your enthusiasm. I was waiting for the secret trick that invalidates using micropore tape/making holes in the pp container.

If working with agar slurry (~0.2% agar) then I can often get away with only using a needle through some small hole in the container. Contamination vectors are thus massively reduced. Curious to hear your thoughts

Yes, same as a petri dish, i unscrew the lid and inoculate. Never worked with agar slurry but i wouldn't modify the containers or poke any holes on them.

Quote:

SpunkyMonkey88 said:
Nevermind u did link them sorry..

I wonder if you just vent the PC as soon as they're done, take them out steaming hot and stack them as high as possible, if you'd have the same results reducing condensation as using your xmas tin..

Quote:

SpunkyMonkey88 said:
I love it but where the fuck am I going to find a "large container " like that nutcracker thing you used 😂 I wonder If it's really necessary..

Awesome write up I'll have to look for those pp5s, can you link them?

The Xmas container is necessary i think, the key is to stack them vertically before and after the PC. I don't vent out the PC, I release the valve after it reaches to 0 PSI but first I wait like an hour for the PC to cool a little bit after 0 PSI has been reached, maybe 90 minutes (next time i'm using a infrared thermometer to know when exactly to take the tall container out) then i release the valve and remove the tall container.  The tall container is useful when they are cooling, like an insulation thing, just like when you pour agar into petri dishes, you stack them vertically and then you put the plastic bag of the petri dishes on top to cover the petri dishes and give them a little more insulation, this reduces the condensation.

Edited by Mr. Alien (12/11/19 07:40 AM)

OfflinebigAPE
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26374507 - 12/11/19 07:25 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting..

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: cronicr] * 1
    #26374521 - 12/11/19 07:42 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
Beautiful work my friend

Thank you! I did it thinking in you my friend. :hug:

Also, if you pour a lot of agar into these holy grail containers, i bet they could function like agar slants. It will take a lot of time for them to dry out, as the container is deep enough. Not as much as real agar slants but quite a lot, i will test this in the future.

There are only 8 packs left in amazon :lol: Glad i bought 100 before publishing this.

The problem is that I only have 3 of those tall containers :frown:

Edited by Mr. Alien (12/11/19 07:57 AM)

OfflineSFS96
AstroMan
 User Gallery

Loc: Valleys Of Neptune
    #26374550 - 12/11/19 08:03 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I can dig it, good work:rockon:

--------------------
How I make and preserve tea

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: SFS96] * 2
    #26374556 - 12/11/19 08:11 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

alternatively you can use a quart jar to stack up 5 of them. Use the quart jar upside down, i did wrong in the picture.

But by being only 5 the top 2 will get some condensation.. The taller the better.

OfflinemeaculpaUIO
Male User Gallery

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: Mr. Alien] * 3
    #26374571 - 12/11/19 08:22 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

long live no pour

InvisibleThe lurker
Other User Gallery

#26374583 - 12/11/19 08:29 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

So would a flowhood be necessary for this? I ask because I couldn’t imagine unscrewing and screwing back those containers in a sab

Great tek btw really like this

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: The lurker] * 1
    #26374586 - 12/11/19 08:33 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

You could use them in a SAB, you unscrew them enough to open them like petri dishes. Just by lifting the lid off.

EDIT: Also if you press hard the lid it will bypass the screwing :P.

Edited by Mr. Alien (12/11/19 10:08 AM)

OfflinemeaculpaUIO
Male User Gallery

#26374594 - 12/11/19 08:40 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I work with glass/pp5 containers that you cant stack, and im having low contam rates these days.
I think its entirely possible to be good at agar using different containers and get low contam rates.
The big advantage to no pour is that you
only open it to contams once. When you inoculate them.
Before that the glass/pp5 containers can be sterilized
really hard, easily 40 minutes if you want
and have extra liquid in ur agar. And be closed.
Reducing the possible contam factors
much more to be about what you do in the SAB,
and the state of your spawn.

they pop open with a small bang in the sab,
clear looking, my only annoyance is that the
sofer agar tends to have some liquid
pooling at the top.

making 7 new ones now

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: meaculpaUIO] * 1
    #26374795 - 12/11/19 10:36 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

With this method i don't get any pooling, just the top container will get a little bit of pooling but not too much to worry about. The rest of the containers are pooling free and condensation free.

Offlinesan pedro guy
Captain
 User Gallery

#26374799 - 12/11/19 10:39 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

since most of us don’t have a giant nut cracker do you think anything on top might work the same? Won’t fit in my pc for sure but maybe after it’s done cooking, I cover with something for same result?

--------------------
Noob Grow Along 2022

Invisiblestaytrippy420
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: san pedro guy] * 1
    #26374814 - 12/11/19 10:54 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Like a boss.
:snoopyes:

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers. [Re: san pedro guy] * 1
    #26374862 - 12/11/19 11:18 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

san pedro guy said:
since most of us don’t have a giant nut cracker do you think anything on top might work the same? Won’t fit in my pc for sure but maybe after it’s done cooking, I cover with something for same result?

Hmmm i might have to do some tests once the infrared thermometer arrives. I might test it with 10 Holy Grail containers without the large/tall container, and once at 0PSI measure the temperature of the pressure cooker to pull the containers out at the right temp, then stack them vertically again and cover them with a bag or something.  But idk tho, insulation of the metal container probably plays a major role in avoiding condensation/pooling, how many HG containers do you think you can stack up vertically inside your small PC? What PC model do you have?

I don't know, i think using this method justifies buying a AA75X if you want to stop pouring agar to petris or continue using poor visibility no pour modified containers with holes and filters and condensation/pooling. Besides that you can always do more grain jars or grain mycobags. :grin: an AA75X is always a good buy. My two cents.

Edited by Mr. Alien (12/11/19 11:26 AM)

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26374926 - 12/11/19 11:55 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Awesome alien! Where did you get those containers or what are they called? This is killer dude.

Never mind I see the link at the bottom. Can you put that link right after the first images of the plates?

Double the cost but less time spent preparing the containers and u don’t need micropore tape. Fucking gold my friend. Worth the extra money imho.

The money saved shipping pasty plates is worth it imho. Also you found the ultimate reusable petri.

Game changer. I got the last pack.

I put 3 quart jars triangulated on the bottom of the pc. Place the metal frame on top. Then put plates on that so it’s not touching the bottom of the pc. I also have another frame part that I place on top of those if I wanna double stack. I believe this might work without using the nutcracker thing. It’s a nice touch for Christmas.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Edited by eatyualive (12/11/19 01:12 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder