Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Petri Dish, Spawn Bags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTakkaji
High On Stress 24/7
I'm a teapot

Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth]
    #26373940 - 12/10/19 10:38 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I started out with hawaiian spores and expensive prepared cow poo, that went off with 0 tams, but when I tried my hand at ground-up growing, I used producers pride oats and eco earth coir with a tek called a coir tek among an endless sea of coir teks. My first attempt went well, but subsequent attempts, all trich.

I even had a 5 pound spawn bag with PEU spores. The oats seemed fine, and then I added the spawn to some of the pet med sub and it colonized fine until I added a casing layer. Trich...

Is baking the coir at 200 for 2 hours too much? Should I just pour in 170°f water and seal it? Maybe i should use exo terra..

I thought maybe it's because trich spores are in the air. How should I go about cleaning my house? I've looked up "trich decontamination" but the search was inconclusive.

I seem to have hit a progress wall.

--------------------
The will of the Shroom guides me.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJohnRainy
Stranger

Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: Takkaji]
    #26373946 - 12/10/19 10:42 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

People always say if you get moldy coir, it's because your spawn was not clean.

OfflineTakkaji
High On Stress 24/7
I'm a teapot

Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: JohnRainy]
    #26373959 - 12/10/19 10:48 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

My spawn IS clean. That I'm sure of. Out of 20 jars and other containers I see nor smell contamination. It has to be due to me prepping the coir wrong.

--------------------

OfflineJohnRainy
Stranger

Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: Takkaji]
    #26373989 - 12/10/19 11:10 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

You can have subtle contamination that you cannot notice by smell or sight, is what the word is.  I didn't like finding out about that either.  I always thought if the jar colonizes, it's 100% clean

Just a little spot somewhere in the jar, contained by by all the cubensis, but when spawned, it all gets rearranged and it breaks out of it's containment.

A lot of mold mycelium is white as well, and only turns color when it sporulates. 

Mold is supposed to all be long dead by 200F too

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Loc: Man of the Moon
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: JohnRainy]
    #26374016 - 12/10/19 11:29 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

If you used spores, your spawn is not clean...period.

For preparation of coir you pour boiling water on dry coir in a 5gallon bucket, close it, and wait for it to cool...that's it.

There's no such thing as a bad batch of coir..coir is a non-nutritious media that does not harbour contamination.

If your substrate is getting mold it's because you did not properly pasteurize your coir...again see bucket tek...or your spawn was dirty...since you used spores in this case it's probably both...

You should not attempt.grain grows without at least a fundamental grasp on mushroom cultivation...it's important to know why you do things...not just that you do them...

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Check out my Retail Gourmet Mushroom Farm!

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

OfflineSpirit-Crusher
DOOM HIPPIE

Loc: PNW
Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: Mycologist217]
    #26374048 - 12/10/19 11:53 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mycologist217 said:

For preparation of coir you pour boiling water on dry coir in a 5gallon bucket, close it, and wait for it to cool...that's it.

There's no such thing as a bad batch of coir..coir is a non-nutritious media that does not harbour contamination.

If your substrate is getting mold it's because you did not properly pasteurize your coir...again see bucket tek...or your spawn was dirty...since you used spores in this case it's probably both...

You should not attempt.grain grows without at least a fundamental grasp on mushroom cultivation...it's important to know why you do things...not just that you do them...

Unless you get it from a hydroponics store. They add Trich to it to promote root growth in cannabis. Of course it won't say it on the label, but they do it.

--------------------

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: Spirit-Crusher]
    #26374136 - 12/11/19 12:53 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

FWIW I have grown plenty of shrooms spawning to coir that was heated at 200F for 2-3 hours. I tried it after a suggestion here. It worked just as good if not better than the bucket tek, but I didn't take many notes.

I noticed no increase in contams. I've also used many bricks of eco earth and never found a problem that I didn't trace back to contamination somewhere. If everything you're spawning is contaming, it's highly likely the spawn...

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: Spirit-Crusher]
    #26374138 - 12/11/19 12:53 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Spirit-Crusher said:
Quote:

Mycologist217 said:

Unless you get it from a hydroponics store. They add Trich to it to promote root growth in cannabis. Of course it won't say it on the label, but they do it.

Eco earth definitely does not do this.

OfflinecronicrM
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #26374146 - 12/11/19 12:57 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Even the ones that do add trich so what...it doesn't germinate on coir anyway and if you bucket tek it you have killed any molds

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineJohnRainy
Stranger

Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #26374155 - 12/11/19 01:02 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

sh4d0ws said:
FWIW I have grown plenty of shrooms spawning to coir that was heated at 200F for 2-3 hours. I tried it after a suggestion here. It worked just as good if not better than the bucket tek, but I didn't take many notes.

I noticed no increase in contams. I've also used many bricks of eco earth and never found a problem that I didn't trace back to contamination somewhere. If everything you're spawning is contaming, it's highly likely the spawn...

Ive grown shrooms on unheated coir, bucket tek coir, and PCed coir.

Didn't notice much difference between the three.

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Trusted Cultivator
    #26374188 - 12/11/19 01:25 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Trich is a fungus, that means it has mycelium and that mycelium can look quite nice and white especially under low gas exchange environments.
A bit like mushroom mycelium, when given enough fresh air and moisture trich likes to sporulate.
Just because it’s not green in the jar doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

OfflineeLeSDenesS
Mycelium Expander
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: StygianKnight] * 1
    #26374312 - 12/11/19 03:36 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I used to think pasteurising is necessary with coir to avoid contams. Now I just add warm water straight from the tap, mix the sub and spawn... If I get trich, it is because of dirty spawn, the fuckers hide well in the jars.

OfflineTakkaji
High On Stress 24/7
I'm a teapot

#26375220 - 12/11/19 04:47 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Thank you for letting me know, I had figured home made spore syringes wouldve been better, but I'm probably getting something wrong. I'll keep my 3 buckets of coir in deep storage until my petris are ready.

Could. I use scrapings from agar to make a liquid culture in some malt water?

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #26375372 - 12/11/19 05:54 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

You can prep eco earth with room temperature tap water if you want :shrug:

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

OfflineTakkaji
High On Stress 24/7
I'm a teapot

Re: Trich problems, possible bad batch of coir? [Pet med eco earth] [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26376134 - 12/11/19 11:52 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I'll take a crack at that. Should I toss the spawn jars that I used spore syringes on?

Or shoebox each of them I have dozens of shoeboxes.

--------------------

Edited by Takkaji (12/11/19 11:53 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Petri Dish, Spawn Bags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation