Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
free speech on private property
    #2636526 - 05/04/04 11:18 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

isn't this sort of a non-issue?

I can tell you to not picket, protest and engage
in political speech on my own property, right?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/04/mormon.main.street.ap/index.html

Free speech? Not along Main Street
Salt Lake City judge upholds land swap in Mormon church plaza case

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A federal judge on Monday upheld a land swap that permits the Mormon church to restrict speech on a block of Main Street that it purchased from Salt Lake City.

U.S. District Judge Dale Kimball dismissed a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union and others that said the deal violated the First Amendment by limiting speech and effectively endorsing the church.

The ACLU said it would appeal to the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver.

Alan Sullivan, attorney for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said the church was gratified by the ruling. "The church wants the plaza to be an oasis of peace and beauty in the midst of our busy city, a place that everyone can enjoy," he said.

The city gave the church control of the plaza that it had purchased earlier in exchange for church-owned land elsewhere and more than $4 million.

Lee Siegel, a writer and one of the plaintiffs, said: "I did not expect a ruling in favor of ... fundamental constitutional right from any federal judge who's a product of Utah and its theocracy, which suffers from a severe and unhealthy allergy to dissent."

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Re: free speech on private property [Re: afoaf]
    #2636556 - 05/04/04 11:28 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A federal judge on Monday upheld a land swap that permits the Mormon church to restrict speech on a block of Main Street that it purchased from Salt Lake City.

Alan Sullivan, attorney for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said the church was gratified by the ruling. "The church wants the plaza to be an oasis of peace and beauty in the midst of our busy city, a place that everyone can enjoy," he said.

The city gave the church control of the plaza that it had purchased earlier in exchange for church-owned land elsewhere and more than $4 million.

Lee Siegel, a writer and one of the plaintiffs, said: "I did not expect a ruling in favor of ... fundamental constitutional right from any federal judge who's a product of Utah and its theocracy, which suffers from a severe and unhealthy allergy to dissent."

ACLU for the most part, and it's sad because I'm a member, are a bunch of whining weenies. They own the friggin land! geez

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2636945 - 05/04/04 01:30 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I have to agree that you nailed this one, afoaf.

If the city sold a block of street to someone, then that block is now indeed private property and no longer city property.

Pretty clear cut case, but as for why the ACLU would dispute it, what have they got to lose? There have been some pretty bizarre rulings coming from US courts in recent times. Maybe they thought the judge wouldn't use common sense. Wouldn't be the first time.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2637141 - 05/04/04 02:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

> The church wants the plaza to be an oasis of peace and beauty in the midst of our busy city, a place that everyone can enjoy

It may be private property, but they are intending for it to be used as a public place. If a privately owned, public shopping mall can limit free speech, then the church should be able to as well... but, if a privately owned, public shopping mall cannot limit free speech, then the chuch should also not be able to.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
    #2637195 - 05/04/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with the rights of property owners... The only thing I have a problem with is the city selling a main street block to a church. More particularly the precedent it sets.

I wouldn't want to walk down main street in my city and hit a block that has been bought by Starbucks... "Discard your non-starbucks beverage at once or face arrest and a trespassing charge!" .... hehe not to be alarmist, but you never know which direction things can spiral towards...

I'd at least hope that the selling of public property to a private party is required to have majority public support(which it undoubtedly did in SLC.....Anyone catch the soutpark with Joseph Smith?)

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: free speech on private property [Re: FrankieJustTrypt]
    #2637236 - 05/04/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Next thing you know, they will be selling all the city's sidewalks to the Mormon Mafia.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2637296 - 05/04/04 02:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

As things stand now, you're right. I happen to follow the belief that land is not truly private property(though improvements on the land are) because it is not created by human effort. However, as long as we're being consistent with our current laws, then you're absolutely right. It's ridiculous.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: free speech on private property [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2637379 - 05/04/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Next thing you know, they will be selling all the city's sidewalks to the Mormon Mafia.

In south florida not to long ago a private company bought a piece of road along a residential suburb. They then tried to charge the owners of the houses to use the road right infront of their house. It was pretty funny although i think a court ruled it was wrong.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: free speech on private property [Re: d33p]
    #2637406 - 05/04/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That is fucktarded.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2637416 - 05/04/04 03:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That is Florida.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2637431 - 05/04/04 03:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Can we just nuke Florida? Nothing good ever comes out of Florida other than oranges. Just look at Creed, the Backstreet Boys, and the 2000 election if you need proof that Florida sucks.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Re: free speech on private property [Re: silversoul7]
    #2637481 - 05/04/04 03:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Can we just nuke Florida? Nothing good ever comes out of Florida other than oranges. Just look at Creed, the Backstreet Boys, and the 2000 election if you need proof that Florida sucks.

A large portion of Blow arrives in Florida and is then distributed throughout the country. Gotta like that. Also Miami Beach sports some of the hottest women in the usa.

--------------------

bang bang

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2637483 - 05/04/04 03:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

We should have put Israel there.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2637489 - 05/04/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Baby im not positive but i believe there are more jews in Florida then in all of Judea.

--------------------

bang bang

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2637502 - 05/04/04 03:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Another good reason to put the rest of them there.

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2637723 - 05/04/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:

Excuse me. What about the best places to pick Psilocybe Cubensis mushooms along with the perfect climate for nearly year round fruiting?

Helloooo!!!!

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: free speech on private property [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2638142 - 05/04/04 06:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

what, do you think this is a mushroom board or something?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2638152 - 05/04/04 06:24 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
what, do you think this is a mushroom board or something?

If it quacks like a duck....

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2638480 - 05/04/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
In south florida not to long ago a private company bought a piece of road along a residential suburb. They then tried to charge the owners of the houses to use the road right infront of their house. It was pretty funny although i think a court ruled it was wrong.

Best part of it was that the name of the company was or was almost exactly "Whatsdamaterwitu Inc."

--------------------

bang bang

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Re: free speech on private property [Re: FrankieJustTrypt]
    #2638738 - 05/04/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FrankieJustTrypt said:
I agree with the rights of property owners... The only thing I have a problem with is the city selling a main street block to a church. More particularly the precedent it sets.

The city also bought some land from the church. Is that good or bad?
Quote:

I'd at least hope that the selling of public property to a private party is required to have majority public support(which it undoubtedly did in SLC.....Anyone catch the soutpark with Joseph Smith?)

Hah, a very funny southpark indeed. I like the one with the goo-backs.
"Dey took arr jerbs"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract