Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineLux
Re: Ego [Re: kaiowas]
    #2636371 - 05/04/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Sure, you could say it's a tool but the problem is that the majority of people are simply unaware that they function completely from this one aspect of the self, therefore what people perceive to be their freewill can actually be seen to be their prison. How can one escape from prison if they aren't even aware that they are in it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Ego [Re: DankBluntZ]
    #2636413 - 05/04/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

So when a person has two separate thoughts on the same subject, and can't make up their mind, is this the ego arguing with itself or the ego arguing with some form of the self ? or maybe something entirely different altogether...

it depends what the thought is about. it could be ego arguing ego, or it could be ego arguing heart(love)

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Ego [Re: Lux]
    #2636418 - 05/04/04 10:09 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

"Sure, you could say it's a tool but the problem is that the majority of people are simply unaware that they function completely from this one aspect of the self, therefore what people perceive to be their freewill can actually be seen to be their prison. How can one escape from prison if they aren't even aware that they are in it? "

well I could say it's anything...just a matter of perspective. I just don't see why people are so negative about the ego. if it can be used to see your negative emotions, then it definately can be "referred" to as a "tool" it's just that the society that we grew up in feeds o?n fear rather than love. so where are the boundaries of this prison

just an opinion

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Anonymous

Re: Ego [Re: kaiowas]
    #2636747 - 05/04/04 12:30 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I just don't see why people are so negative about the ego. if it can be used to see your negative emotions, then it definately can be "referred" to as a "tool"

what if the ego was the cause of these negative emotions and it was something else that shows you the negativity? you speak as if you believe only the ego exsists. and you also have said that the ego is a way to make us happy, but i disagree. only true happiness comes from the heart, from love. to feel high off the egos pride is cheap, and i personally dont consider that real happiness. more like a trick making u think your happy, when u are damn well not.

but this is soley based on my own perspectives.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Ego [Re: ]
    #2637127 - 05/04/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

what if the ego was the cause of these negative emotions and it was something else that shows you the negativity? you speak as if you believe only the ego exsists. and you also have said that the ego is a way to make us happy, but i disagree. only true happiness comes from the heart, from love.

I think you're misinterpretting what he's saying.

What he is saying is that with the proper "training", a person can learn to use their ego as a tool.

While I understand that you are defending the fact that true happiness comes from the heart (which I agree with, and so does Kaiwos, I can almost guarantee...)

Here is a metaphor:

Let's sat you are a castle.

You have a gigantic stone wall all the way around you, which keeps you safe, but isolates you from all your surroundings.

(stick with me on this, I know it's pretty obvious so far)

Your approach is to knock down the wall (ego), so that you can have free access to all of your surroundings. (love/heart)

But what happens when some bastard (ego, someone else's) comes along and decides to take advantage of your situation? He raids your whole place, just because he can. Because your wall is down.

What Kaiowas is talking about is more like building a super-cool wall that sinks into the ground when not in use.

Not only does it allow you free access to all surroundings (love), but it also allows the ego to continue doing what it was DESIGNED to do: PROTECT US. [edit: to avoid confusion allow me to clarify: the ego protects our physical bodies, that is what I was referring to.]

This might be a weak metaphor, or not even what he meant, but I tried....

Anonymous

Re: Ego [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2637304 - 05/04/04 02:58 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

no that was a perfect example, and i wholly agree  :thumbup:

but really what my point was, was that he said the ego can be a tool used to see the negative emotions in yourself.  but the negative emotions are only there because of the ego creating them in the first place.  So what is goin on with the ego here?

heres me  :confused:

sure the ego can show u the negative, because it is the cause of the negative.  so i guess it just shows you the grip it has on you. what do u do when u realize this?

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#2637488 - 05/04/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Think about it this way...

When one tames their ego, they learn that the "negative emotional baggage" they experience is actually only a product of the ego, as you said.

They learn to move past what their ego produces, and not accept it as something that dictates how "they" feel.

Because they do not allow the ego to directly dictate their emotional state, they are able to "step back" and look at the situation from a distance.

For instance:

If someone makes a rude remark about my hairdo, I can either:

a) React with ego; get irritated or angry.. allow my emotions to be controlled by the ego.

b) React without ego; give the guy a smile and say "that's just like, your opinion man." Thus, I would choose to acknowledge that the ego is the source of the fear I have that somehow allows me to believe my appearance to others matters to me at all.

I choose scenario b. When this guy insults my hair, I will be laughing and happy inside, because I know that he is controlled by his ego and I am not.

Once someone has been convinced that there is more to their own existance than just their ego (for instance, experiencing ego loss via psychedelic drugs and realizing that "you" were still there to experience it) the loss of ego becomes no longer a "life and death" "loss of identity" kind of situation.

It becomes easier to control the ego's "dictate your behavior"isms with the insight that there is something besides the ego that makes up "you". With this insight comes the knowledge that, with the end of ego, does not necessarily come the end of your life experience.

This is using the ego as a tool for "good", as best I can think to explain it.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#2637505 - 05/04/04 03:40 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

sure the ego can show u the negative, because it is the cause of the negative. so i guess it just shows you the grip it has on you. what do u do when u realize this?

It only shows you the negative if YOU have a grip on IT.

If the ego DOES have a grip on you, this means that it DOESN'T show you the negative. Instead, you BECOME the negative. It dictates your emotions for you if you let it. Therefore it becomes "invisible" in the act of losing YOUR grip on it. You have to keep your ego in check, or it eats you alive.

If you allow it to eat you, then it causes negative energy.

If you remain in control of it, then it IDENTIFIES negative energy.

It's the same action being taken by the ego, it's just that if you choose to remain in control of it you keep it from getting to that final step where it goes from "targetting" (identifying) to causing.

Anonymous

#2637600 - 05/04/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

"It only shows you the negative if YOU have a grip on IT."

this is true

Anonymous

#2639227 - 05/04/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Frenchman is the WISE man.

Walls that sink when the nazis retreat. Why not just make the nazis sink into the ground? Then we don't need no stinken walls or dark sarcasm in the classroom. Teachers gotta leave them kids alone.

Ego trippen is what lifes all about here! You all would be so bored if everyone was egoless here! Thats why you love this place! Egos give us our personalities. Rock the Ego and the Vote!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2640543 - 05/05/04 05:05 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

How would we all be bored without an ego, considering that boredom is a state of mind created by the ego itself? No ego = no emotional demands of what the moment should be = no discontentment or seperation from the moment and the experience offered within.

It isn't about changing the external world so that you can be happy and fufilled. Happiness and peace do not come from the outside situations. Our personality does not come from the ego; conversely, the ego limits our true personalities from showing. The true self lies within. We seperate ourselves from it and we suffer because of it.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Ego [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2640659 - 05/05/04 06:20 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I think ego as a word/concept has been so over used, and can describe such a variety of ideas that it has reached the point of being irrelevant...

It seems to me that there are several different definitions of ego being discussed in this thread.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineLux
Re: Ego [Re: GazzBut]
    #2640675 - 05/05/04 06:35 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with you, the original point of the thread was to hear everyone's own interpretation of what the ego is.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom