Home | Community | Message Board

DoubleBlind - Learn to Grow Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDrMushroom
Human Farmer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Australia
How does the PC pressure/time chart change when its half quart jars vs full quart
    #26357465 - 12/02/19 06:01 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

with this chart here

What differences would it make when its only half quart jars instead of whole quart jars?
Given that its what i most often use i thought it would be worth asking, also, my PC goes to 23psi before venting, but then it doesnt stop until 20psi (guaranteeing burst grains), so, i have lately been aiming around 20psi. anyway, with smaller jars would it make a substantial difference? or should these same times still be adhered to regardless?

I feel kind of weird having spent years using an 11psi cooker cooking for 2 and a half hours, now to find something that can go such a slight bit hotter that apparently can do the job in 20 minutes if i am careful with it.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinemushboyM
Moooshboy?
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How does the PC pressure/time chart change when its half quart jars vs full quart [Re: DrMushroom]
    #26357478 - 12/02/19 06:10 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Not too sure about that chart.

I've definitely pced grains at 25psi for 30min and they molded fast. Might have to redo that experiment:stoned:

OfflineJohnRainy
Stranger

Re: How does the PC pressure/time chart change when its half quart jars vs full quart [Re: mushboy]
    #26357488 - 12/02/19 06:15 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I think a smaller jar size would cut the time required a little bit, because it would take less time for everything in there to come up to temp.  But the time savings would be negligible, is my guess.  That chart only applies once all that wet grain gets as hot as the rest of the inside of the PC.

What kind of PC do you have?  It sounds badass.  Perhaps that 3 pounds worth of venting could be stopped with some modification?

Edited by JohnRainy (12/02/19 06:18 PM)

OfflineDrMushroom
Human Farmer
I'm a teapot

Re: How does the PC pressure/time chart change when its half quart jars vs full quart [Re: JohnRainy]
    #26357503 - 12/02/19 06:25 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

yeah, if i replaced it with a heavy duty rocker valve that would be awsome, plus theres a second backup safety valve still there so no fears here about replacing the primary valve, but i think it does that by design, it keeps itself open as a safety measure.
This thing is a proper (simple tho) autoclave and has an internal element.

Anyways, guess ill just keep on using that chart then as it is.

OfflineSankhara
Trump's lost child
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Argentina Flag
Re: How does the PC pressure/time chart change when its half quart jars vs full quart [Re: DrMushroom]
    #26357548 - 12/02/19 06:58 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DrMushroom said:
with this chart here

Well... to start with, that chart is DEFINITIVELY not even close to being any accurate or real as far as i am concerned. Sterilization times follow a logaritmic scale rather than a lineal one.

And even then we are talking about reaching a specific temperature to a specific amount of matter in X amount of time...

So... excess PC time will always be better than coming short and wasting money and time.

The general rule of thumb appears to be 2hs at 15psi for any jar size smaller than a quart (and maybe even bigger).

Remember that it is not only about reaching a certain pressure but also having temperature equalize along inside the grains.

--------------------
How would you rate the quality of my answer?

OfflineJohnRainy
Stranger

#26357561 - 12/02/19 07:07 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

If I understand correctly, it vents 3 lbs of pressure quickly when it gets to 23 lbs, which causes exploded grains.

Can you run it without that happening somehow?  Keep it below 23 lbs the whole time or something?  Because that pressure drop is a deal breaker.  You can't have that going on.

Offlinecurious.psychonaut
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: How does the PC pressure/time chart change when its half quart jars vs full quart [Re: JohnRainy]
    #26358008 - 12/02/19 11:26 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Graph isn't really linear: 1 hour = 4 cells on the right (0-60), but only 2 cells on the left (480-540). Doesn't mean it's correct, ofc (no idea).

--------------------
My LAGM2020 grow log

OfflineDrMushroom
Human Farmer
I'm a teapot

#26359308 - 12/03/19 04:56 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

yeah i just have to control it better, supervise it more. it has a bit of a runaway effet whereby the hotter it gets the more conductive the element gets, and i have properly confirmed this too using the voltage reg im using. so the pressure will drift over the course of 10-15 minutes even when it appears stable, i just need a proper controller for it and ill be right as rain.

InvisibleYogiBear
Male User Gallery

#26359318 - 12/03/19 04:59 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

:takingnotes:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation