Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHoneyBadger9321
Mushroom Bookie
I'm a teapot

The perfect MICROSCOPE
    #26338085 - 11/22/19 12:37 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Right, so I was looking for a microscope for my mycology work and as we all know they are expancive as gold shit. Then one day I was looking threw kickstarter and found this gem: [url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blips/diple-the-revolutionary-microscope-for-any-smartphone? ref=nav_search&result=project&term=microscope]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blips/diple-the-revolutionary-microscope-for-any-smartphone?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=microscope[/url] (if the link does not work anymore, the mic. was called: DIPLE MICROSCOPE)
I think its perfect for our work, i grabed myself the DIPLE BLACK for the 109$.
Compered to the standard 300$+ microscopes that we all know, it does the same thing if not better and quite cheeper.

Let me know what you guys think, I cant wait for mine to be delivered :eek:

--------------------
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.”
― Bill Hicks

Edited by HoneyBadger9321 (02/17/20 03:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: HoneyBadger9321] * 1
    #26338443 - 11/22/19 03:40 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

It doesn't look nearly as good as a real microscope, but it looks better than the typical cell phone microscopes.

I recommend an Amscope b120 and a stage micrometer, and use a cell phone to take photos.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #26338562 - 11/22/19 04:51 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-B120-Magnification-Illumination-Double-Layer/dp/B009JPXSOC

:whathesaid:

That's the same one I have as well. And the same way I take micrographs, with a phone.

Clostridium butyricum making endospores
Cheek cells
Clamp connections in P.cubensis
Brewers yeast and a bacterial rod
Close up of a clamp connection

Get yourself a stain kit for fungi and look up the fungal microscopy guide.

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26338576 - 11/22/19 04:58 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Magnification example

40x

100x

400x

1000x(oil)

P.cubensis spores

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #26339466 - 11/23/19 04:00 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Nice clamp connections.  That would be an excellent addition to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamp_connection.

For the cube spores it would help to press down firmly on the cover slip to force all the spores into the same focal plane, and use less spores.

My photo of Psilocybe cubensis spores: 

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #26339494 - 11/23/19 05:12 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I was trying to illustrate how absolutely small and numerous spores were. New growers like to use half a spore syringe per grow because more is better. But less is more with spores usually. That small speck the size of a period has enough spores to grow the rest of your life

But yea there's absolutely better ways.

--------------------

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
    #26340017 - 11/23/19 11:46 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

This is awesome. Great pictures guys! Making me want a microscope now... :strokebeard: That's a very reasonable price for a scope. For some reason I thought they were way more expensive.
How do you take the photos with your phone through the scope?

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #26340025 - 11/23/19 11:51 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Hold it up to the eyepiece. They make holders but i do it by hand.

--------------------

OfflineGreg
always learning
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: an autoclave
    #26340225 - 11/23/19 01:06 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I use the Amscope B120 as well.
They make a cheap adapter if you want to use a DSLR camera, I use that plus an intervalometer/remote to take micrographs.
It's possible to rig it up to take time lapses even.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #26340862 - 11/23/19 05:56 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PitcherCrab said:
That's a very reasonable price for a scope. For some reason I thought they were way more expensive.
How do you take the photos with your phone through the scope?

Very reasonable.  If you have more like $1200 to spend, an excellent choice is https://www.amscope.com/40x-1000x-brightfield-darkfield-plan-infinity-koehler-laboratory-microscope.html.

To take photos through the eyepiece you just hold the camera to the eyepiece until you get a good image.  Usually you need to hold it about 2 cm back, so I often use a spacer so I only have to get the X and Y right, not X, Y, Z and angle. 

If you have manual focus, enable that and set it to all the way far so you don't have the phone autofocusing on you.  Autofocusing will make it harder to get the focus on the scope correct, and will change the size of the image, making your measurements less accurate.

OfflineeLeSDenes
Mycelium Expander
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #26344172 - 11/25/19 08:45 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Alan, a very stupid question, but is it possible to see through the petri dishes without taking the top off? I have a very shitty handheld 'microscope' and was wondering if the reflection of the dishes affects the image quality with proper microscopes too?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: eLeSDenes] * 1
    #26344185 - 11/25/19 08:54 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Usually the focal distance is so short you need the objective to be closer than the lid allows to focus on the agar

--------------------

OfflineeLeSDenes
Mycelium Expander
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26344595 - 11/25/19 12:54 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Ahh that sucks, it would kick ass if I could watch mycelium growing on agar and identify contams way before it is noticeable with naked eye (I know you can sandwich it between slides, but it's a bit limited and can only view a small segment)
Can it even be done? Are people doing this? Maybe pour the agar full so the lid almost touches the agar so the objective is closer?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #26344837 - 11/25/19 02:30 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

You could take the lid off. If i remember right the coverslip plays a role in getting the focal length right so you may still have to cover the agar with a slip too

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #26345926 - 11/26/19 01:28 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

eLeSDenes said:
Alan, a very stupid question, but is it possible to see through the petri dishes without taking the top off? I have a very shitty handheld 'microscope' and was wondering if the reflection of the dishes affects the image quality with proper microscopes too?

Depends on the magnification and focal distance of the microscope.    Stereo scopes usually can, compound scopes sometimes can when you use the lowest magnification.

InvisibleHeruuka
 User Gallery

#26351758 - 11/29/19 10:36 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

There are specific microscopes for examining plates, but none that allow you to get down to the cellular level. They're mostly for colony counting on specialized agar to determine how infected a sample of water is or for identifying causal pathogens.

The PERFECT microscope depends on the application, but as far as our hobby goes, I think a phase contrast microscope would be really handy (if they weren't so expensive), but if you're shopping for one, the features that you're really going to want to have are:

• Movable stage: allows you to move your sample with incremental knobs rather than pushing the slide around.
  • Binocular: not essential but you can see more and you're not closing one eye
  • Oil immersion 100x objective - brightfield microscopes can really only do 1000x magnification, and even then, you need to add immersion oil because the refractive index of the glass with air between would cause light to scatter enough to obscure the image(close enough). There are vendors that sell >1000x magnification but all that is is replacing the 10x eyepiece with a 20x or even 40x, which has the same effect of zooming in on a pixelated photo. Don't waste your money on anything more than 1000x, unless the 20x eyepiece just comes with.
  • 4 Objectives is plenty - usually its 10x or 20x, 40x, 60x, and 100x oil immersion. Companies sell 5 objective scopes that you will never use. You should be using the lower strength objective to find what you're looking for (including the plane the sample is on) using the coarse adjustment. Then swing in a middle objective to look at most things, using only the fine adjustment knob. You'll only need to break out the oil if you're looking at bacteria or want to get right on top of a spore.
  • ability to set koehler. This is something to google but is how you 'calibrate' a microscope so the entire field is evenly illuminated and you're not seeing things that are an artifact of uneven illumination (like colors on edges from light refraction).

There are an abundance of exceptionally good microscopes that are available at auction and what you're paying for is the quality of the lenses and their mounts. Cheaper scopes will get the job done, and I have limited experience with them so I can't say whether or not they're just as good but cheaper because of slave labor or something, but I suspect that over time the lenses will move slightly and they'll require repairs with normal use. A quality microscope is for life. Zeiss is my fave, but Olympus makes some incredible scopes too.

If you're into microscopy have a look at phase contrast microscopes (see transparent things well and with depth without stain) as well as the infinitely cool dark-field microscopes (best for photography).

Don't be fooled by how old it looks. If it's a binocular Zeiss with a 100x objective and a light, a movable stage, no objectives missing, and everything moves smoothly with no grit or noticeable static-friction, and you can see clearly through all objectives, you've got yourself as good a brightfield scope as anyone else.

If you see one at a garage sale, extra points if it still has its original dust jacket and manual. Not that its important to the microscope, which it is a bit, its more an indication of the level of care its received over its life.

A Zeiss from the 80's or 90's is probably one of the higher quality pieces of optical equipment a person can buy. At auction you can expect to pay anywhere from $100-$1200 for these microscopes depending on the crowd.

That smartphone microscope is the google cardboard of microscopes. We need to stop buying things because they're cheap and ask ourselves if we need something, and if we do, buy something used that's already been made, is higher quality, and will never need to be replaced or repaired unless you break it.

OfflineHoneyBadger9321
Mushroom Bookie
I'm a teapot

Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: Heruuka]
    #26352300 - 11/29/19 03:49 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

My friend to all of your points and facts made, I would agree to all of them. I might just like to add my perspective and on why someone like me would buy such a thing / microscope. I am an amature mycologist analyzing, growing and am daily fascinated by the world of mycology. I would love to own a Olympus microscope, but spending from 200 - 1000$ on a microscope without any experience with them at all (plus im not from the US). So if there is an opportunity out there for a 'as you put it: cardboard microscope'' that gets the job done and familiarizes us of the works of a microscope and how to use it... for 36 - 108$. Well thats a pretty big money leep for a thing that does the same job, however I do agree that it will not last a lifetime or maybe not even 5 years, but that is the perfect time to get to know your microscope and watch that mycelium grow.

--------------------
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.”
― Bill Hicks

OfflineBd5784
 User Gallery

Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: HoneyBadger9321]
    #26353995 - 11/30/19 02:32 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Following

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: The perfect MICROSCOPE [Re: HoneyBadger9321]
    #26354920 - 12/01/19 02:42 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

A cardboard microscope won't do the same thing as a cheap Amscope, don't bother with cardboard scopes.  The minimum you should get is an Amscope b120.  That is a respectable scope that will work well for many years if you keep it covered when not in use.

OfflineeLeSDenes
Mycelium Expander
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26354929 - 12/01/19 03:23 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
A cardboard microscope won't do the same thing as a cheap Amscope, don't bother with cardboard scopes.  The minimum you should get is an Amscope b120.  That is a respectable scope that will work well for many years if you keep it covered when not in use.

Is it worth getting the one with the camera attachment or better to attach your own camera? I have read that sometimes the image can be out of focus at some places so Ideally I would rather work with the camera and a monitor so I can stitch the images together, but not sure how good the Armscope b120 camera is.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale