Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
Can they cause depression?
    #2633478 - 05/03/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi people,

Back at the beginning of January I tripped with 3 friends- my flatmate and two girls we met a few weeks before. All was good up till the last 15-20 mins of one of the girl's trips when she started flipping out, wanting it to stop, crying, etc.. The rest of us were fine, but she vowed never to touch them again.

We kinda lost touch, but I heared the other day she is seeing a psyciatrist (or something) because she's suffering from depression and anxiety. I should point out that she is just coming up to her finals at university. Anyway, she's convinced herself that it is all because of the mushrooms, wants to know how many we did and everything. We've tried to reassure her that it's not the mushrooms, probably a whole lot of reasons especially the uni work and everything, but I'd like to know if it is possible that the shrooms have messed her up.. anyone care to back me up / disagree?

Thanks

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: Can they cause depression? [Re: Rob_K]
    #2633687 - 05/03/04 06:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Mushrooms can definitely aggravate conditions, or if someone has a bad time and doesn't integrate the experience properly, it can be like any tough experience - look up info on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Offlinetrippysmurf
Smurfette'sSugar Daddy

#2634615 - 05/03/04 09:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like your typical overly dramatic attention seeking girly girl. I know it sounds bad, but be thankful you lost touch. Be sure to keep it that way. I know people like that - and I wish I didn't.

--------------------
I like your Christ, but I do not like Christians - they are so unlike Christ. -Gandhi

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #2635518 - 05/04/04 01:24 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

can mushrooms cause this?

they sure as hell can.

Mushrooms have intense power, and they let you experience emotions that you may not be prepared to run into, and this may land you in a depression.  Fault of the drug? no, not necessarily.

I flew into a really bad depression after my last trip, it took a while, but i came out of it.  I saw a psychiatrist and i was treated for a long standing anxiety disorder, but later changed to just a mood disorder.

There is always hope :smile:

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2635539 - 05/04/04 01:32 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think mushrooms can sometimes make people face things they had never really payed attention to.

Many of these things people never really pay attention to can cause depression in my opinion.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2635549 - 05/04/04 01:36 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Mushrooms are a trip through the mind. They are a reflection of yourself

People who are always depressed, or who have underlying emotional/ psychological issues, have a very good possibility of having to face these problems during the trip, causing trauma or depression because they never wanted to deal with these again

I find mushrooms to be very psychologically healthy, but these people shoot he messenger. The mushroom tells you something's wrong, they start screaming and after it's over swear they'll never touch it again

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Can they cause depression? *DELETED* [Re: Rob_K]
    #2636293 - 05/04/04 08:58 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by jonnywax

Reason for deletion: ~

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
Re: Can they cause depression? [Re: lukeboots]
    #2636518 - 05/04/04 11:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys.. Probably the response I was expecting. Personally I think she's being a bit paranoid about it and that's exacerbating the problem. The trouble is we can't tell her that because she's already made up her mind that it's the mushrooms' fault. Alcohol causes depression and I'm sure she's had some drinks since I last saw her.. but she doesn't think to blame that.

[sigh]

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

Offlinetezcatlipoca
but you can callme tez

Loc: nl, canada
    #2638027 - 05/04/04 05:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, i agree with the people above me.

i wouldn't say that the mushrooms >caused< the depression, but rather showed her something that she wasn't prepared to see, thus aggravating her mental condition. this could have been something new or something that remained dormant for a time.

i was horribly depressed the first time i did mushrooms. a whole quarter of the fuckers (yeah, i know now). anyway, i did it so that i would have to face down my inner conflicts. about an hour of the trip was incredibly devestating because the mushrooms brought forth what i couldn't admit normally. i was able to heal my conflicts and i haven't been depressed since.

if you've skimmed this -- no, the mushrooms didn't cause anything, just aggravated an existing problem.

peace,
tez

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #2638483 - 05/04/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yah i didnt mean to say the mushrooms caused the problem, but they exascerbated it.

I dont want to do shrooms again, but i dont blame the shrooms, i just know i cant handle that shit :smile:

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale