Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? * 1
    #26334417 - 11/20/19 10:27 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

So in the spring the plan is for me to finally go out and do some solo camping.

So I was thinking earlier -- in a hypothetical scenario, what would be the most terrifying wild animal that you could encounter on this planet?

Let's say you're by yourself. All you have is a hunting knife. You're hiking. And then all of a sudden around a bend you come face to face with it.

What would it be?

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: Niffla] * 2
    #26334429 - 11/20/19 10:38 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

The worst would probably be a Lion in Africa. Or a Rhino.

But in the US, it would be the Mountain Lion. They creep me out with their sneekiness.

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: Niffla] * 1
    #26334432 - 11/20/19 10:39 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I know that wolf attacks are exceedingly rare in reality (unlike in the movies and in books), but I think, if you were strolling through the remote woods in wolf territory, and came across a pack of these (an average pack of wolves is like 6 but has been known to go as high as 30)

I think that would be about as frightening as it gets.

Wolves eat nothing but meat (of course), and take down much, MUCH larger prey than us. So a lone human surrounded by a pack of wolves would be...not good. You'd have to think that you'd be squarely on the menu. I guess their gripe would be is that you'd only qualify as a snack.

Looking up and seeing 6 adult wolves eyeing you, to me, would be right up there at the top as far as most terrifying.

--------------------

Edited by Niffla (11/20/19 10:42 PM)

Offlinealaskappalachian
peakbagger

Loc: The 49th Dimension
Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: Niffla] * 9
    #26334446 - 11/20/19 10:49 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Two years ago I took a piss about twenty yards away from my tent (in the Chugach Forest) at 230AM, and about five minutes after laying down, I got visited by an enormous brown bear.  My backpacking tent is like a teeny coffin, and it sniffed my head right through the tent fabric (poked it with its nose right at the top of my skull) before tearing my pack apart that I had forgotten to bring back in due to extreme exhaustion from covering about 40miles with 50lbs or so on.  You could see it's shape very clearly through the fabric against the glow of the midnight sun.  When it was done, it came right back and started sniffing me AGAIN, so I had to make a split second decision and gave off a battle cry in desparation.  When it took off (like greased lightning), it caught a paw on the stake holding down the foot of my tent and jerked it like a bastard and the part of me that was not dead inside already died two or three times over.  I about shit myself.  It proceeded to huff and grunt even louder in aggravation maybe ten or fifteen yards down the hill below the little level spot I'd pitched on, and I sat up and yelled again as I watched it through a small opening between the two zippers as it ran back uphill past me and never returned.  I've had dozens of close encounters with brown and black bears, but that was as close as I ever want to get.  I was alone with zero protection.  It was horrifying.  Being charged by a thousand pound cow moose isn't fun either.  I got rushed so fast a couple miles form my house once that my boots came off int the stiff, deep snow (it was like zero degrees out that day) and I had to run in my socks to a safe place and wait while she stood on top of my boots for a qhile before finally leaving with the yearling travelling with her.  Nothing fun about scary wildlife encounters.  Also got followed by a very predatory-acting black bear that was maybe five hundred pounds (enormous) during a particularly bad berry/fish year when we had a lot of attacks- which I had to spray liberally with bear spray.  Still not nearly as scary as the tent encounter.  That may have been the scariest moment of my life.

--------------------

“Science does not need mysticism and mysticism does not need science. But man needs both.”
-Fritjof Capra

LAGM2021

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 905 Flag
Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: Niffla] * 2
    #26334447 - 11/20/19 10:49 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I had a group of 3 wolves walk past me pretty close one time. But they didn't really seem to acknowledge me and kept going. This was by a tree planting camp in a game preserve. They had been right in the middle of camp earlier.

--------------------
BAN OP 2021

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 2
    #26334450 - 11/20/19 10:50 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
The worst would probably be a Lion in Africa.

Yeah a an African lion...yikes.

Upwards of 500 plus pounds of pure killing machine (300-ish for females).

I saw a video of a male taking down a cheetah (cheetah was caught by surprise) on National Geographic and I swear it was over in less than a second. I could feel the power through my damn TV.

--------------------

OfflineJonnyBtreed
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northeast
Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: Niffla] * 3
    #26334451 - 11/20/19 10:54 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I would have to go with Mountain Lion as well. A pack of wolves would be right up there too. Or a grizzly bear.

We're pretty lucky where I live. Nothing animal wise that are all that dangerous to people. No poisonous snakes or spiders, no bears or mountain lions. I'm a hunter, and it's a pretty creepy feeling walking into the middle of the woods in the pitch black at 4:30 am. Every single little noise just creeps you the fuck out. A fisher scared the shit out of me one time with it's cry right when I got into my stand.

Crazy to imagine being in other places and knowing there's things out there potentially hunting me on that walk. Sketchy shit.

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: psi] * 3
    #26334453 - 11/20/19 10:55 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

alaskappalachian said:
Two years ago I took a piss about twenty yards away from my tent (in the Chugach Forest) at 230AM, and about five minutes after laying down, I got visited by an enormous brown bear.  My backpacking tent is like a teeny coffin, and it sniffed my head right through the tent fabric (poked it with its nose right at the top of my skull) before tearing my pack apart that I had forgotten to bring back in due to extreme exhaustion from covering about 40miles with 50lbs or so on.  You could see it's shape very clearly through the fabric against the glow of the midnight sun.  When it was done, it came right back and started sniffing me AGAIN, so I had to make a split second decision and gave off a battle cry in desparation.  When it took off (like greased lightning), it caught a paw on the stake holding down the foot of my tent and jerked it like a bastard and the part of me that was not dead inside already died two or three times over.  I about shit myself.  It proceeded to huff and grunt even louder in aggravation maybe ten or fifteen yards down the hill below the little level spot I'd pitched on, and I sat up and yelled again as I watched it through a small opening between the two zippers as it ran back uphill past me and never returned.  I've had dozens of close encounters with brown and black bears, but that was as close as I ever want to get.  I was alone with zero protection.  It was horrifying.  Being charged by a thousand pound cow moose isn't fun either.  I got rushed so fast a couple miles form my house once that my boots came off int the stiff, deep snow (it was like zero degrees out that day) and I had to run in my socks to a safe place and wait while she stood on top of my boots for a qhile before finally leaving with the yearling travelling with her.  Nothing fun about scary wildlife encounters.  Also got followed by a very predatory-acting black bear that was maybe five hundred pounds (enormous) during a particularly bad berry/fish year when we had a lot of attacks- which I had to spray liberally with bear spray.  Still not nearly as scary as the tent encounter.  That may have been the scariest moment of my life.

:thisisheavyman:

Can't even imagine. Yeah a grizzly encounter would obviously be way at the top too. There would really be nothing at all you could do if an adult grizzly wanted you.

Quote:

psi said:
I had a group of 3 wolves walk past me pretty close one time. But they didn't really seem to acknowledge me and kept going. This was by a tree planting camp in a game preserve. They had been right in the middle of camp earlier.

what an amazing memory though

not many can say that a trio of wolves walked right by them

--------------------

OfflineKinko
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26334454 - 11/20/19 10:57 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Seriously ? A mountain lion ? A wolf ? Are you guys high ? The most dangerous animal you can encounter in USA is a bear .    In the world is an elephant followed closely by a hippo.    Excluding marine life

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: JonnyBtreed]
    #26334456 - 11/20/19 10:58 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I'd be more afraid of a hippo than a lion. Also polar bears.

--------------------

OfflineMpSeph
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA
Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: Niffla] * 1
    #26334457 - 11/20/19 10:59 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

The Bili Apes Would Be On My Top 10 Most Terrifying Animals You Could Encounter. They Call Them Lion Killers/Leopard Killers.

Pretty Much Giant, Aggressive Chimpanzees, That Have Been Rumored To Kill Big Cats & Have Been Caught On Video Killing Other Smaller Apes.

I Wouldn't Doubt It If They Would Take Small Children & Even Kill Lone Adults.

Hypothetically Speaking, If They Were Proven To Exist - I Would Think A Sasquatch Would Also Be Terrifying To Encounter. Considering Some Of The Stories & Encounters I've Heard/Read.

Any Giant Ape Would Freak Me Out.

--------------------
Tips For A Beginner Mushroom Hunter

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27146775

One Who Hunts Mushrooms Is A Mushroom Hunter. One Who Eats Them Without Knowing What They Are, Is A Dumb Mushroom Hunter. - Seph

OfflineKinko
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26334458 - 11/20/19 10:59 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
The worst would probably be a Lion in Africa. Or a Rhino.

But in the US, it would be the Mountain Lion. They creep me out with their sneekiness.

Not even close

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: JonnyBtreed]
    #26334459 - 11/20/19 10:59 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

JonnyBtreed said:
I'm a hunter, and it's a pretty creepy feeling walking into the middle of the woods in the pitch black at 4:30 am. Every single little noise just creeps you the fuck out. A fisher scared the shit out of me one time with it's cry right when I got into my stand.

Crazy to imagine being in other places and knowing there's things out there potentially hunting me on that walk. Sketchy shit.

See this is why I don't know if it would be possible to camp solo in an area that has large, top tier predators.

I did camp in the Yellowstone a region a few times, which is grizzly/wolf/cougar country, but that was with friends. Even though the scenario in reality is just as dangerous, having someone with you distracts you from that thought. By myself though out there?

Don't think I have the bravery required for that

--------------------

Offlinealaskappalachian
peakbagger

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: psi] * 1
    #26334462 - 11/20/19 11:00 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psi said:

I bet that was fantastic.  I got to see one wolf in my life.  We used ot have an older white wolf that roamed around Far North Bicentennial Park near Anchorage that I got to see out by the Beaver Ponds one day with a group of people I took out from out of town.  We were all very stoked.  Seeing three would be friggin killer...  Jealous.

--------------------

“Science does not need mysticism and mysticism does not need science. But man needs both.”
-Fritjof Capra

LAGM2021

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: Kinko]
    #26334463 - 11/20/19 11:01 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Kinko said:
Seriously ? A mountain lion ? A wolf ? Are you guys high ? The most dangerous animal you can encounter in USA is a bear .

A grizzly bear, yeah. A black bear, no.

But a pack of wolves could decimate you into food as fast as a brown bear could if they had their minds made up on doing so.

They can take down buffalo, dude.

--------------------

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: Niffla]
    #26334466 - 11/20/19 11:03 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Anyway this isn't a question as to what is pound for pound the most dangerous. It's a question to each individual what wild animal would terrify them most personally. There's no wrong answer.

Well unless you answer a duck or something.

--------------------

OfflineMpSeph
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA
    #26334468 - 11/20/19 11:05 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I Can't Watch 1 Episode Of Survivorman Les Stroud Without Getting The "I Wanna Go Camping By Myself" Fever.

--------------------
Tips For A Beginner Mushroom Hunter

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27146775

One Who Hunts Mushrooms Is A Mushroom Hunter. One Who Eats Them Without Knowing What They Are, Is A Dumb Mushroom Hunter. - Seph

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: MpSeph]
    #26334469 - 11/20/19 11:05 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MpSeph said:
I Can't Watch 1 Episode Of Survivorman Les Stroud Without Getting The "I Wanna Go Camping By Myself" Fever.

I used to adore that show.

--------------------

Offlinealaskappalachian
peakbagger

Re: What would be the most terrifying animal to encounter in the wild by yourself? [Re: alaskappalachian] * 1
    #26334472 - 11/20/19 11:07 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Bears are usually incredibly docile normally.  I saw four grizzlies in eight hours climbing Shaman Dome/The Wing/Tail Feather Peak this summer.  One ran out of a patch of hemlock crap I'd just bushwacked through right behind me when I crossed the creek and couldn't have cared less.  Before that I saw a large boar up a slope on the route in.  Before that- a sow and cub on my way over Ship Pass.  Earlier that spring I woke up to two bears meeting on a slope above me when I camped about 3.4 of the way in to scramble up Mount Williwaw.  They're everywhere and almost no problems ever.  So many bear stories omg- I foret how lucky I am sometimes having moved here years ago.  Sooooooo lucky.  For the record- whoever said apes... I'm terrified of gorrilas for some reason.  Also, count me out in hippo territory.  Just no.  Also- more scared of black bears than grizzlies.  They like to sneak up behind you and are far more prone to predatory behavior (as referenced in my first post in this thread...).

--------------------

-Fritjof Capra

LAGM2021

InvisibleSARAtonin
Champagne Leninist
Female

Loc: Whitey on the Moon
    #26334475 - 11/20/19 11:08 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

A wendingo.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Community >> The Pub