Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebaron_samedi
Ancient Shroomerite

Loc: HI Flag
funky smells *DELETED*
    #2608948 - 04/27/04 09:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by baron_samedi

Reason for deletion: Deleted

--------------------
:acidfire::deathrush::acidfire::myfaceismelting::acidfire:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: funky smells [Re: baron_samedi]
    #2609250 - 04/27/04 10:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

well, you should really get a thermometer. THat helps knowing what kinds of conditions you are dealing with. I really learned the hard way... but if you dont have it, use your thermostat to your house... try to approxomate your temp in the room/droor/ with the rest of the house. See how warm it gets with the ps2.

Funky smell, means no good, you should just be smelling BRF substrate, that is all.

you can try leaving them and see if any of them change, but for the most part you are out of luck. 9 days with no growth is usually a pretty bad sign.

What kind of brown rice did you use? Did you use flower... did you take the rice and grind it up yourself... how did you sterilize? What kind of jars are you using?

Maybe you put too much water in the jars. How are the jars sealed?

--------------------
What?

Offlinebaron_samedi
Ancient Shroomerite

Re: funky smells *DELETED* [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2613180 - 04/28/04 08:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2614575 - 04/29/04 01:48 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I know that smell. Its definitely mold, its trashed.

Here is what you should do if you can... Re start... clean... very clean. If you can get any alcohol prep pads.. or alcohol and a piece of toilet paper will work.. given its clean.

I put my ingridients in the oven and cook them at about 325 degrees in aluminum pans lined and covered with the substrate material to cook. This will get out any excess types of molds that could be living on the material. (this is if you want to get extra sterile (in my experience) ) .

just to make sure. Quote from the FAQ:
"Put the required amount of vermiculite in a bowl (all at once, NOT for each jar separately!). Use a spatula or spoon to mix in enough water to saturate the vermiculite to the field capacity, mix well. The field capacity is reached when a small puddle,barely visible, forms at the bottom of the bowl when you tilt it. Then add the appropriate amount of BRF and mix together.(This works best if you use 1/2 cup vermiculite and 1/6 cup BRF per 1/2 pint jar)
The idea is to coat the wet vermiculite particles with the dry powder as you stir the mix with the spatula. "

then try using the microwave to sterilize. I would really try to get to use a stove if i were you. If you have your personal space, you can maybe buy a hot plate.

otherwise you may have real trouble trying to keep them from contaminating.

Best of luck

--------------------
What?

Offlinebaron_samedi
Ancient Shroomerite

#2618425 - 04/29/04 08:07 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2622639 - 04/30/04 04:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

No problem man, i know how it is getting started off working with this stuff, it took me a long time to realize what i was doing wrong with my stuff.

ive grown some pretty nasty things. But the whole process kind of turned me into a clean freak when handling the mushrooms.

Yeah, you would have to double the recipe.

Are you using a protection layer of vermiculite at all?

When you innoculate, make sure that your air is clean. Buy some Oust air cleaning spray... it kills airborne molds and stuff. I innoculate using the oven TEK.

Happy growing!

--------------------
What?

Offlinebaron_samedi
Ancient Shroomerite

#2623006 - 04/30/04 06:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2623748 - 04/30/04 10:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, lysol will work... hopefully :smile: . Those contaminants can sneek in... littl bastads! You know what im talking about.

yeah man definitely, post an update, i would like to see your results.  :thumbup:

how were you planing on using the poly fill filter? Just using a wide mouth jar?

--------------------
What?

Offlinebaron_samedi
Ancient Shroomerite

#2633415 - 05/03/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2637784 - 05/04/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

heh, i know how it is to be a noob as they say. Dont worry about it :wink:.

I dont know how if you did all the sterilizations correctly that it didnt work out for you.

This is how i did mine, and i did not have cob web mold.

Measure out SUbstrate ingredients..

Put each substrate ingriedient in a different pan.

Bake substrate ingridient in pan for roughly 10 -15 minutes or so at 325 . Enough so they dont burn.

Take substrate, mix substrate in a fairly clean environment. With purified water.

Fill jars with mixed substrate. leave a half inch of space to fill with CLEAN (oven preped vermiculite) 

Clean lip of that half inch spacing from the top with alcohol prep pad. Then fill with the clean vermiculite as stated above.

Then place the lids cleaned on top. (i put foil here to act as a seal against water) Then put the lid on... Screw lid on over foil and top... punch a small hole for gas exchange.

Then put the jars in the PC, or the regular pot of boiling water. Let jars cool, remove lid... not the top! remove foil gently... clean the top with the alcohol prep pad... Put jars on oven rack (make sure air is clean). sterilize with lighter between innoculation points. After completeion... put the lids back on... loosely cover with foil and let incubate.

I dont know what could be the case... .Something interesting to note.

I had made a good syrine by my self. Using a print that i took of a cubensis strain. I had kept the syringe without messing with it after i grew a successful batch... What spore solution i had left i let sit... I look at it a few months later.. .and some strange growth inside happened.

It could be cobweb... it could be something else. Maybe ralph's spores had a slip in their procedure and something like this happened. I would email him about it if it doesnt work.

So, you do have a pc now?

--------------------
What?

Offlinebaron_samedi
Ancient Shroomerite

#2638929 - 05/04/04 09:27 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2644027 - 05/06/04 12:45 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

well if you got 5 jars that havent been contaminated, thats pretty good. For starting off, i did a lot worse :wink: ... See how it goes... keep me updated. I cant wait to hear your results!  :laugh:

--------------------
What?

Offlinebaron_samedi
Ancient Shroomerite

#2644308 - 05/06/04 04:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2652242 - 05/08/04 12:14 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks man!

Have you tried PM'ing him? He could give you a lot of helpful information about the kind of strain you have and regards to whether your syringes were compromised. He may be the better person to contact. With your particular case, considering cob mold, i personally have not heard of that before.

If you dont have a pc (if they are too expensive, cant find one) try ebay, or try wal mart or target or the sort. They are very nice.... very... very nice  :cool: .

Keep us updated! Good luck!  :laugh:

--------------------
What?

Offlinebaron_samedi
Ancient Shroomerite

Re: funky smells [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2661801 - 05/11/04 02:14 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

hey man i got some good news wellone of my new b+ jars has shown growth and the others are not showing any signs of contams... so iguess the other syringes were duds but in any case ive PM'ed ralph on my problem and im waiting for a response...

hey zero do you have any exp with grain?

well i started two jars with popcorn and one jar with rye berries
now thwe rye berries are weird itseems like the mycilia(if thats what it is)is making the grains clump upand hard to shake. and the popcorn also seems to be growing purely white mycilia but it looks like the seeds are secreting a red dye or something are my jars ok?

thanx man as soon as i get a camera i will post picks but until then i will have to describe my problems thanx alot for any input...

good JuJu to you !!!!

The Baron

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2662581 - 05/11/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Im not too experienced in the grain department. Ive only read that you if you dont have a pc you have to do fractional sterilization. The best place to learn about grain is either in the grow log forum, or the mushroom cultivation. Well... besides the FAQ

Ralphster has had a family emergency. He said order may be late and what not. I checked the Vendors Forum. Good luck man! Cant wait to see some pics.

--------------------
What?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order