Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDornamia
Stranger
Delayed growth with micropore tape
    #26325625 - 11/16/19 10:19 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I wanted to share some pictures of grow jars which were cultivated both with and without micropore tape. All jars are classic brf tek with a layer of dry vermiculite under the lid. Inoculation was 3 weeks ago. The jar on the left never had tape and is entirely cultivated. The jar in the middle has had tape all along. The jar on the right had tape originally, which the grower removed a week ago, and is now almost entirely cultivated.

The pictures are representative of larger groups.
9 jars were cultivated without tape, 4 jars with.
3 of the 4 taped jars were freed from the tape at the same time and all exhibit the same accelerated cultivation.
1 of the 9 untaped jars was contaminated by trichoderma (green mold) and was disposed of. The remaining 8 cultivated at the same rate with no contamination.
(No jars used micropore tape instead of dry verm layer.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesan pedro guy
Captain
 User Gallery

Re: Delayed growth with micropore tape [Re: Dornamia]
    #26325632 - 11/16/19 10:22 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

cool experiment

--------------------
Noob Grow Along 2022

OfflineSFS96
AstroMan
 User Gallery

Loc: Valleys Of Neptune
Re: Delayed growth with micropore tape [Re: san pedro guy]
    #26325773 - 11/16/19 11:55 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Looks like the middle one definitely needs air. Also I think your using athletic tape not micropore. Athletic tape will allow little air exchange.

--------------------
How I make and preserve tea

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

OfflineSvenny
Stranger
Re: Delayed growth with micropore tape [Re: SFS96]
    #26325796 - 11/17/19 12:12 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Taken from fungifun.com

Importance of Gas Exchange

( updated: April 15, 2008, at 10:11 AM ) 
dead link reports, comments and suggestions welcome any time

When mushrooms digest a substrate, they produce carbon dioxide(CO2), and consume oxygen(O2). 
This is a fairly important factor determining success or demise of a growth attempt.

I prepared a few plastic containers with 1/2 pint content with my standard substrate I use for PF tek jars. The plastic containers have a lid, that completely seals the container, so there is no gas exchange.

When I use the same substrate in jars with an aluminum foil lid, like described in the PF-Tek for Simple Minds I get full colonization in 8-12 days.

The spores germinated after 2 days and the colonization went fairly fast for another 3 days, then it suddenly stopped.

I left is then another week, and the colonization barely moved on. 
Then I opened the container in font of a flow hood for a few seconds to provide some air. 
The colonization again started, and again halted after a few days.... 
I repeated this another 2 times, and after 1 month into colonization, the substrate is still not completely colonized. 
You can see at the pictures how the mycelium has a different appearance in some areas and it shows the different growth and stall phases.

The inoculation was at the sides and one inoculation point at the top of substrate. There is no vermiculite seal, but a thin vermiculite bottom layer.

TEST II : 
This time I took the same plastic containers, but fitted them with a polyfill filter.
This is day 6 of colonization, look what a difference the air exchange makes!

One has to love polyfill ! 
Day 8:

I hereby declare this cake colonized.

FAQ

Why couldn't I put a few heat loving plants in my incubator at night to help with the exchange 
Plants convert CO2 and water into oxygen and sugars....when they have light. This process is called photosynthesis. 
The incubator shouldn't have light. So this woudn't really work well. 
Plants need some oxygen for themselves too, btw. 
Read 
http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/departments/eventscience/EBS.OS1_RS~DF.html
http://www.hsv.k12.al.us/schools/middle/wtms/student/cell/cell_energy.html 
http://www.saburchill.com/chapters/summary02.html

Besides, the point is not that the oxygen isn't available, it is there , in the normal air, to more than 20%, the problem is that it has to get to the mycelium, and it can't get there, if the jar is sealed.

I've found that the most tightly closed casings during regrow, turned out the best 
In the post casing - pre pinning phase the CO2 levels should be high. This is best achieved by simply covering the casing container with aluminum foil or similar. 
It will get some air exchange(same as the jars with the aluminum foil lid), but the CO2 level will be high. That's what you want to achieve.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags