Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineichugwindex
Dex
Female User Gallery

Loc: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Remember when there used to be bands that would get big?
    #26324767 - 11/16/19 02:10 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

How long has it been since that happened? 10 years? 20? Its interesting that this shift has happened. Is it because a band that isn't actively touring makes no money? A cultural shift towards electronic and rap music? I find it interesting. Yes obviously new bands "happen" still but that's not the same.

--------------------
Only hope can give rise to the emotion we call despair. But it is nearly impossible for a man to try to live without hope, so I guess that leaves Man no choice but to walk around with despair as his companion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: ichugwindex] * 2
    #26324772 - 11/16/19 02:12 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Its mostly because bands that became big were due to big pushes by record labels spending lots of money to make that happen

Now that there isn't the same kind of money to be made from selling music, there's not the same incentive to create big bands via marketing... although it still happens, just not in the same way

Also, no MTV, nobody listens to radio, etc... less avenues to create a commonly shared mainstream big artist

Edited by pixelpopper (11/16/19 02:13 PM)

Offlineichugwindex
Dex
Female User Gallery

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: pixelpopper]
    #26324780 - 11/16/19 02:16 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

So basically the money. Thanks for the well thought post pixelpopper

--------------------
Only hope can give rise to the emotion we call despair. But it is nearly impossible for a man to try to live without hope, so I guess that leaves Man no choice but to walk around with despair as his companion.

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: ichugwindex] * 2
    #26324789 - 11/16/19 02:20 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

There are of course some more nuanced factors at play... like how people in general are just living inside their own bubbles now. Nobody is really seeking out anything outside of their bubble, and when it comes to music, people get stuck in whatever they are already used to. People stick to certain (sub) genres, time periods, bands they grew up with, whatever... People rarely actively look for new shit, and they ignore anyone trying to present new stuff largely because we are so bombarded with media every day... people just don't have the attention space for anything new that they didn't actively look up themselves.

OfflineTripsurfer
Bring Back Asante!
Male

Loc: West of Windward Flag
    #26325272 - 11/16/19 06:39 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Check this video

Overview of best selling artists 1969 - 2019. You might be surprised

--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.

Offlineichugwindex
Dex
Female User Gallery

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: Tripsurfer]
    #26325284 - 11/16/19 06:47 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Amazing. Based on that video as early as 2008 maroon 5 and coldplay were the only top selling rock groups and by 2009 there were none.

--------------------

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: ichugwindex]
    #26325315 - 11/16/19 07:01 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Only thing trendy is rap artist and freak mutations like billie ellish.

I don't call that music but some stoned mental relapse.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

Offlineichugwindex
Dex
Female User Gallery

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: Morel Guy]
    #26325566 - 11/16/19 09:29 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I cant really judge I used to listen to death metal

Is that "music"?
Who gets to decide?
I dont really listen to that kinda stuff anymore because one day I ate some shrooms and realized that type of music was helping to make me an angry young man.

--------------------

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#26325591 - 11/16/19 09:51 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Kinda depends on how you listen to it... a lot of extreme metal shares the most in common with classical music than any other modern genre, and is much more involved in musical theory/structure than pop stuff

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#26325624 - 11/16/19 10:19 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Heavy Metal Moonlight Sonata

Listen to some Bach, or really any of the greats, particularly their darker numbers, and you'll hear the metal

OfflineTaliesen420
generous

Loc: Nor Cal
    #26325665 - 11/16/19 10:43 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

i can't remember anything, the ecstasy destroyed my mind :lolsy:

--------------------
dry mouth :lolwut:
invisible man

OfflineJizzMasterZero
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: Taliesen420] * 1
    #26325715 - 11/16/19 11:20 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe the bands just aren’t as good? I bet you that in 2050 people will still be playing music from the 60’s and 70’s like “Celebrate” by Kool and the Gang, and “We are the Champions” by Queen. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepelin, etc will probably get played by some too. I don’t keep up with modern pop culture, but has there been any music within the past 15 years that isn’t completely forgotten about within a year? Are there any mumble rap songs from today that will last the test of time? If radio wasn’t already dead, would there be an oldies station in 2050 that plays music from this current era? I kind of doubt it.

--------------------

OfflineLoaded Shaman
Psychophysiologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Now O'Clock
Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: ichugwindex] * 1
    #26325930 - 11/17/19 02:12 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I was actually in the business as it went to shit, starting in 2006. I was lucky enough to get several of my bands signed last minute and we still got fucked. Nothing really means anything in terms of deals anymore; there's no leverage. My last big band was in 2012, played on their 2013 debut and did a few gigs. The music was awesome but everything else - and I do mean literally everything else other than physically playing the songs - was a fucking nightmare that you couldn't pay me to endure again.

What it comes down to in terms of less bands getting that big organic-appearing pop:

Physical units are no longer the measure of success for music. Now it's clicks. Which makes competition even worse because that shit is ubiquitous. Back in the day you either had to save to do a demo and send it to a booker, or else get signed and get a deal. Johnny in his basement couldn't approach the quality you'd get in studio. Now his mom can make a better demo than your first band with her stock iPhone and GarageBand.

--------------------

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

Edited by Loaded Shaman (11/17/19 08:33 AM)

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
    #26325938 - 11/17/19 02:20 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Music is free now and you get what you pay for.

Over saturation.  Lack of attention span in a throw away culture.  Massive focus of the ‘mainstream’ toward kids with expendable cash.  Lack of new talent.. the perfect storm.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

OfflineLoaded Shaman
Psychophysiologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: Amanita86]
    #26325949 - 11/17/19 02:36 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

More or less, that's what it all boils down to. I feel like there was once some sort of standard, like "You must be this tall to ride", but "You must actually be good to get exposure". That's all gone now lol.

--------------------

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: Loaded Shaman]
    #26325956 - 11/17/19 02:50 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

yea man, i was making electronic music on the computer with trackers, and then full hardware setup with synths, drum machines, back in the mid 90s and I taught myself how to do all that shit when there were no tutorials online or any of that...

had to learn all the production, hardware and everything myself...

was dedicated many years, spent all the money i ever had on gear and barely surviving while trying to pursue the dream...

any chance of making some kind of living went out the door as the music industry went down the toobs, and making electronic music became so commonplace that nobody gave a shit what you were doing

now any kid can download Ableton and learn to do it all pretty quickly without paying anything, and its all super easy to do now as well

i made electronic music, did live PA, and DJ'd for many years... but now i got back into playing guitar just because i got so disenchanted with the state of the electronic scene & i just wanted to play some music not caring about trying to do anything with it

OfflineLoaded Shaman
Psychophysiologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Remember when there used to be bands that would get big? [Re: pixelpopper] * 2
    #26325959 - 11/17/19 02:56 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I remember playing gigs in 2006-2008, and leaving the venue with $150 total for the entire band was like hitting the lotto. Two years later, we'd pack twice as many people in the same venue and leave with $140.

:lolwut:

The best is paying to play on a record, then getting "paid back" after sales. I quite literally had to "buy my way out" of the last bigger band, by signing away my future "royalties". There are no more advances unless you're Metallica or Iron Maiden. It's all pay to play disguised as stepping stones to a career. Since the advent of music videos in 1981, music has slowly moved more towards an advertising and marketing vehicle vs genuine art on display. Today, that extreme is worse than ever, and I don't see it get any better. At all.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals