Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Injection Ports, Microscope, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDiabetamine
You know better, but I know him
 User Gallery

Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating.
    #26313992 - 11/11/19 04:48 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Like the post says, last night/day 12 jars of rye were soaked for 24 hours and boiled for 10 minutes than cooled off and put into jars for PCing. Everything went as normal until later that night when the jars were to be inoculated. I opened a fresh Ecuadorian syringe after innoculating the other 6 jars with TreasureCoast. The first jar I stuck the Ecuadorians into, It just immediately sucked 5/10 Ml out of the syringe before i could depress the plunger or even get it out of the jar. My question is, Was there internal pressure inside the jars that sucked the spores oyut of my syringe or was something else at play here?

My jar lids use wheel filters with rubber gaskets for gas exchange and a rubber self healing injection port, so they are airtight. I've just never had this problem before. I'm pretty new to this whole thing too, but I think ill at least have a pretty bangin single jar of ecuadorians if worst comes to worst.:smile:

Here is my second mistake. After using the rest of my ecuadorian syringe, I still had 1 jar left over, so i chose a rando strain to inoculate with and chose gulf coast. Everything went well, except I forgot to label the Ecuadorians and that SINGLE jar of GC. is there any way to determine which is which somewhere down the road? It wouldnt be good to mix strains in a monotub, no? That seems pointless like one would outgrow the other but IDK. Just wondering if there is some way down the road to discern the 2 without mixing them with a microscope or something but prob not since theyre all PC.

Learning from your mistakes is a valuable tool, but all commentary is welcome. Thanks!

--------------------
Someone Who I Met's Friend Of A Friends Pet Salmon's pictures. not mine.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMicroMachine
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: Diabetamine]
    #26314149 - 11/11/19 06:13 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Sounds like there had to be a pressure difference in the jars and that was the jar was trying to equalize? I am guessing there had to be a block in the air exchange so pressure did not equalize.

I am no expert but I think when growing two different strains the mycelium will form a type of barrier between the two different types where they meet so I think it would be a race to colonization of the substrate, although if you mix em up like you should I am not sure what would happen as they would meet very quickly from being intermingled.

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: Diabetamine]
    #26314336 - 11/11/19 08:06 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

You can mix strains in monotub. Also you should try polyfill it's by far the best for fae. Jars should not be airtight mycelium needs air just like humans.

--------------------

You never kno

InvisibleTeaforTwo
Flight Attendant
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Psychonaut City, Mile Hi!
Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: MicroMachine]
    #26314358 - 11/11/19 08:12 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

rye is alergic to multispore, they were punishing you for trying...

jkjk.

you defintely had a serious pressure difference and i'd say the vacuum in jar pulled all that juice out of your syringe, easily.

what is a "wheel filters with rubber gaskets for gas exchange"??

if you mean whatman filter then it must have been plugged and sealed up fully in order to withstand the PC cycle pressure and allow some level of vacuum to be created inside.

i'm new, (no grows yet disclaimer) I dont have any whatman filters, thought they were only useful for LC, not sure about grain jars. Look at getting polyfill or even better synthetic filter disk (SFD) to use for your GE filter on grain jar lids at least.

is all this from MS vendor syringe tho? if so, those jars inoc'd are likely a complete waste. many do have success with MS direct to grain, not many if any would recommend it for beginners anyways. and the more you squirt into the grains the less likely you will grow clean spawn as many competitive spores (from nasty stuff) and bacterias will enter grain same time as mush spores- and bad usually beats the good in this case. leading to spawning already established molds and bacterias, mush myc might even beat them back or down a bit, but flushes will be dismal if not totally disappointing.

if you have some syringe leftovers then i suggest you either learn agar real quick and start germinate there and transfer until nothing but myc is seen, then take that to clean myc on to agar grain (A2G). or make a few pfcakes, they are pretty forgiving the MS route, then you can clone and take prints- which you'll want to put on agar (hint: learn agar, it's the best mantra ever lol

--------------------
See a mush cult pic you love? add it here: January 2020 PoM nominations thread! (up vote your faves to ensure they are included in final vote!). Community selected winner receives a 6mo Supporter account upgrade and/or other prizes from our awesome admin team!

Looking for something? Try Psilosopherr's Tek Compendium and pixelpopper's essentialzzz ForTheWin!

Be well, friend. Stay Strong and Beautiful, Always, and in All Ways~
Look Forward, Seek Truth, Find Real, Go Further~

OfflineDiabetamine
 User Gallery

Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: TeaforTwo]
    #26314561 - 11/11/19 09:44 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I'm using a wheel filter like the same one people use to inject drugs with pushed into a gasket for air exchange but no bacteria.

--------------------

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

#26314655 - 11/11/19 10:27 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Well if it created a vacuum then it clearly is providing proper fae

--------------------

You never kno

InvisibleTeaforTwo
Flight Attendant
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Psychonaut City, Mile Hi!
Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #26315150 - 11/12/19 07:36 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomhunts said:
Well if it created a vacuum then it clearly is providing proper fae

huh? FAE is fresh air exchange, not fresh air evacuate. unless you meant clearly is not providing any FAE, otherwise that is either trolling or ignorance.

OP, i still have no clue what those wheel filters are, do you mean ptfe syringe filter, like a whatman filter, looks like this:

can you blow thru them? check one on lid and try, from both directions.

you dont want vacuum in your jars unless you can break vacuum in front of laminar flowhood, else you risk drawing in unfiltered air into your grains when you break seal leading to dirty spawn, leading even more dismal results by using MS direct to grain (assuming these syringes are vendor sourced and not self made).

folks even leave PCs overnight so they cool and release any vacuum before removing lid and unloading direct into SAB or work area in front of FH because of this concern over unfiltered air pull into PC potentially contaminating everything inside.

the best chance you have at the MS to bulk crap shoot is to have pristine clean spawn and the more flawless your sterile tek the better your chances become in such regards.

--------------------
See a mush cult pic you love? add it here: January 2020 PoM nominations thread! (up vote your faves to ensure they are included in final vote!). Community selected winner receives a 6mo Supporter account upgrade and/or other prizes from our awesome admin team!

Looking for something? Try Psilosopherr's Tek Compendium and pixelpopper's essentialzzz ForTheWin!

Be well, friend. Stay Strong and Beautiful, Always, and in All Ways~
Look Forward, Seek Truth, Find Real, Go Further~

InvisiblePsyduckMonkey
friend of all life
 User Gallery

Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: TeaforTwo]
    #26315161 - 11/12/19 07:49 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Most likely you used a filter medium that was never meant for this role - it was likely hygrophilic as opposed to hygrophobic, it got soaked, sealed up from the temperature, and became a barrier to gas exchange. Let me guess, you didn't use synthetic filter discs in those syringe filter cases, and instead used the paper filter that came with them, meant to filter liquids as pulled through a syringe...

I have no idea why people try to make this filter question so much harder than it needs to be. Polyfill is all you'll ever need. Synthetic filter discs are supposedly superior, but they are expensive and I don't like messing with silicone sealant if I don't need to. But whatever you use, it has one job: to allow gases through, while stopping airborne spores. If there is any pressure difference between inside and outside your jars, then your lid tek is literal trash. Throw the suckers out and make some based on Bod's tek. Those work.

--------------------
Do you believe in the Third Summer of Love?

Edited by PsyduckMonkey (11/12/19 07:50 AM)

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: TeaforTwo] * 1
    #26315275 - 11/12/19 09:50 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Sorry man that was a typo

--------------------

You never kno

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: PsyduckMonkey]
    #26315280 - 11/12/19 09:51 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Exactly, polyfill is best because it works perfectly and it's free. I enjoy the ritual of murdering a stuffed animal every time I cook some fresh jars

--------------------

You never kno

OfflineDiabetamine
 User Gallery

Re: Spawn jar pressure sucked half my spore syringe into it when innoculating. [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #26318100 - 11/13/19 06:10 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

This is not the one I had purchased, but they are pretty similar. All my grain I inoculated in the same jars and lids 10 days ago in a different run is about 50% or more colonized though. :um:  :biggrin:  The filters are definetely breathable through. But i think it was just that one that got jammed.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Injection Ports, Microscope, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started