Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRiceCake

Loc: UK
Possible Contamination? (with picture)
    #2631235 - 05/03/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi,

I'm a noob who's trying to grow B+ following the PF Tek. I inoculated 5 jars on April 10 and 3 are fully colonised without any issues. But two jars look like they may be contaminated:

I'm using heat resistant 250ml plastic jars. It's not as clear in the picture compared to actually seeing it, but the jar on the left has two areas where the mycelium is darker. (I've outlined the general areas). It's not blue, but more like grey in colour. There are two more on the sides of the jar. The mycelium does seem to be growing over these darker areas, however.

The jar on the right colonised around the sides, but not completely across the bottom. The white patch in the centre seems strange since if this was mycelium, wouldn't it spread from the sides, not just appear in the centre like this? The area around the white patch is uncolonised. The white patch has a very solid appearance - you can't see the substrate though it. Whereas the other jars, and the one on the left you can see the brown substrate showing through. Well actually, the one on the left has some solid white areas too.

I inverted these jars today. The cakes dropped away from the jar's bottom (as expected) - I thought CO2 build up may be inhibiting growth.

Any comments anyone? Do you think the grey patches are an issue? Has anyone seen white solid-type contamination?

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
Re: Possible Contamination? (with picture) [Re: RiceCake]
    #2631369 - 05/03/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

looks like bruising but keep an eye on it...

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

OfflineRiceCake

Re: Possible Contamination? (with picture) [Re: ThatDaltonGuy]
    #2631692 - 05/03/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the comments. So far the grey areas haven't got bigger - they've been static for about a week. I've been careful with the jars so I'm not sure how I could have bruised them by handling. And there are droplets of water on the inside of the jars, so they're not thirsty. I'm incubating them at 27 deg C (80 deg F), by the way.

Still a bit puzzled about the right hand jar. Perhaps I'm being a bit too jumpy as it's my first time.

I'll keep an eye on them and let you know.

Thanks again for the replies.

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: RiceCake]
    #2631696 - 05/03/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineRiceCake

Re: Possible Contamination? (with picture) [Re: Citric]
    #2631771 - 05/03/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ah, so water can cause bruising. That's inetesting, since like I said, there's water droplets in there. But then they all had water droplets, and the others seem OK.

I've inverted both of them, but haven't shaken them - worried about sucking in too much air and getting contamination when they're not 100% colonised.

I guess there's not too much to worry about at the moment. I'll just see what happens.

Thanks.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2633037 - 05/03/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I agree that it doesn't look like much to be concerned about right now. If it's mold [grey color] then it should really be obvious in a short period of time.
When you do multispore, it's not uncommon to see growth differ slightly in different areas. The grey colored areas are hard to see in any detail, but could be bad. . .you'll know very soon!
Best of luck with it

Suntzu

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2637143 - 05/04/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The left pic does seem like bruising to me but anyway, only time will tell. The other pic could be a contaminant at early stages but it also could be mycelium growing from the inside. Did you use a central inoculation point ?
There's not much you can do now if it is indeed a contaminant and if it really is, it will probably change its color in a few days.
Keeping the jars flipped down (holes down) and untaping the holes is a good practice. Good luck :wink:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineRiceCake

Re: Possible Contamination? (with picture) [Re: MAIA]
    #2655868 - 05/09/04 04:32 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

MAIA - I innoculated at four points around the edge a-la PF Tek.

Well it's been nearly a week since my last image upload. The B+ innoculated cakes have been incubated at 27 deg. c. /80 deg. f. for 29 days now. There hasn't been much change since last week:

I inverted and shook the jars last week, as suggested. The innoculation holes have never been sealed after the jars were innoculated.

Left hand jar: The dark areas have a blue/green colour. They haven't grown much but have become a bit darker and more distinct. I think that's why there appear to be more this week - they were always there, but not obvious enough to comment on. What hasn't happened is the dark areas haven't exploded and taken over the cake. There appear to be no dark areas at the sides now. If this is contam, it's not at the innoculation points. I PC'ed the jars for 45 minutes before I innoculated them. This jar also has one small uncolonised area.

Right hand jar: This has remained unchanged. White healthy looking mycelium around the sides, but static colonisation on the bottom (now top) of the cake. No dark areas

Both jars: Because they are plastic, I can squeeze and sniff the innoculation holes. They both smell mushroomy. It's quite a strong smell, but not a bad one. I birthed my 3 good cakes yesterday and these two smell the same as those.

Any ideas on what I should do next? Should I chuck them to be on the safe side, or birth them and watch what happens? I have a small container I could set up with perlite as a chamber, so they would be separate from the other three good ones.

Thanks.

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#2659088 - 05/10/04 09:11 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You have to be sure about the real color of those patches as i can't really tell judging from that pic. Anyway, if you see healthy growth taking over you could try putting those in a separate terrarium as you refer but don't mix them with the other healthy cakes.
Btw, the right cake does seem a bit weird.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

OfflineRiceCake

Re: Possible Contamination? (with picture) [Re: MAIA]
    #2714005 - 05/22/04 04:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

OK, I think I've discovered what's going on here, and thought that giving some feedback may be usefull to others.

After some thought considering the replies posted here, I thought that the blue/green areas were probably bruising, possibly caused by too little water in the cake. I decided to dunk both of these cakes.

When rinsing off the verm under the tap, I rubbed the blue/green areas on the cake on the left in the above pictures. They didn't smear or come off. I dunked for 12 hours in the fridge. Putting the cake in the terranium, the blue/green areas haven't spread, but have reduced slightly in colour intensity. There are many areas at the base that have started to get bumpy and have white fuzz growing into the verm casing. Looking good.  :smile:

The cake on the right I returned to it's jar after a 12 hour dunk in the fridge, and continued to incubate at 80 deg.f. It has now completely colonised and looks ready for a second birthing. There are no signs of contam or blue areas. So, I think that I didn't use enough water in the original mix and this halted the colonisation half way through. I made my own rice flour, and it was relatively chunky compared to the commercial stuff I saw recently. I've now dunked and verm cased all my previously birthed cakes.

Looks like none of it was contam after all - sorry.  :blush:  My excuse I'm a newb and this is my first time at growing and I'm still learning.  :confused:

Thanks to everone who replied.

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#2723108 - 05/24/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

No, you don't need to be sorry about anything.
The outcome is not important, what's important is to have a method to check for contaminants and learn about them. This also involves learning about what is similar or could look like contamination, besides happy story endings are more than welcome in this forum :wink:

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds