Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLux
Ego
    #2630839 - 05/03/04 06:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on just what the ego is. Is it something that should be overcome or embraced? Why?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Ego [Re: Lux]
    #2630924 - 05/03/04 07:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think there are many different different definitions of the ego that people use, first off, and I think it really causes a lot of trouble in discussion.

Myself, what I consider to be the ego is the set of programs in our mind that have the purpose of protecting our individual perspective, basically our survival. Some people consider the ego to be the individual perspective itself, and I don't see that as true: the individual perspective is the individual perspective; the ego is the mental programming out to protect and continue on the individual perspective. :grin:

The ego is basically a left over from our days of being unaware. It is a program that is designed to identify threats in our surroundings and force ourself to take the programmed action that it believes should be taken to ensure that we will make it out of the situation alive. It does this by flooding us with a strong negative emotion.

I believe this comes from our childhood.. being slapped on the ass produces an unwanted sensation, and the association is formed linking that unwanted sensation to the action we were taking when we were picked up and slapped on the ass.  :smirk:

I also think that it is necessary to be raised this way, there is a period of time where we cannot think and judge for ourselves, and we need a temporary mode of thinking that will ensure that we can survive to the point where we can think on our own.

Most people never really break out of the old way of thinking, however, at least to some degree. The ego basically gets more advanced and complex, and life becomes a constant, grueling game where we are led by our emotions. Our ego is a paranoid fuck!  :evil:

The point is, any function the ego provides can be more effectively managed with a free, higher conscious mind. The ego should only have power over the way we act in an actual, immediate threat on our lives. If we aren't in that kind of situation, the ego has no jurisdiction over directing our actions and creating how we feel, and any negative emotion experienced is a direct sign towards a flaw in our programming, where the ego is trying to exercise power in an area it should not be allowed to.

The ego should be embraced, when it is acting when it should, which hopefully, the situation for it to act never comes up. :lol: In any other case, put that fucker in its damned place! Don't let it push you around! You are free to act and think as you choose! Your ego only has as much power as you give it. Knock it the fuck out!  :shocked: :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineLux
Re: Ego [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2630992 - 05/03/04 07:54 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Haha, as if I wrote it myself... I completely agree with you, especially about there being many different definitions of ego, but I think that sometimes there may be very different definitions which lead to the same end result which is why I want to explore this.

I'm not so sure the ego will ever be permanently shut off, in fact we should keep with us the knowledge that it will never go away but at the same time strive to make it go away. As long as we are aware of it and don't mindlessly follow it though, I think that's enough for our day-to-day needs.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2631008 - 05/03/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

whether "ego" is a societally induced fiction, a useful tool, a freudian aspect of every human's psychological makeup, an ever-changing sense of "center", or the true foundation of the "observer" --- it is not all there is to a person...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineLux
Re: Ego [Re: gnrm23]
    #2631026 - 05/03/04 08:02 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Oh I couldn't agree more. I would go as far as to say(and I have, actually) that it is a foreign, instilled part of ourselves which really can be seen to not even be ourselves. Unfortunately, this which has become a part of ourselves is where the vast majority of people today function from.

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #2631113 - 05/03/04 08:40 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The great red mushroom spoke to me and said:

"Your ego, is everything you are related to, all good and bad things that have to do with you.
In order to gain power, you must leave everything.....

You must die. Say goodbye and  stop spending all of your energy in protecting your threatened ass...

You have nothing to be afraid now.

You are free"

Ego is not only a negative emotion. It also the really cool proud feeling that you feel when you rock.

In order to stop this useless protection of virtually nothing (you) we must <<kill>> our self because we have builded everything around it.

As soon as you die with your own will (thats how it feels like)  you redirect the energy that was consumed by your ego, to the outer world, you get to remember that we re all one. 

Feel the cosmic love 

I m about to have an orgasm  :crazy2:

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

OfflineLux
Re: Ego [Re: Sterile]
    #2631136 - 05/03/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

:yesnod:

So many ways of saying the same thing but each little path to the same conclusions brings it's own insight.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2631166 - 05/03/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Id, ego and superego were all fictive inventions of a discredited fool. His nonsense set the field of psychology and back 50 years. Every other meanings you wish to ascribe to the word ego can be covered adequately by the concept of self. Avoid the term completely, it has no referent in the real world

--------------------

OfflineLux
Re: Ego [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2631179 - 05/03/04 09:07 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think the term is essential. The way I make reference to it is an aspect of the self, and yes to modern man as far as they are concerned it IS the self. I'm not a student of psychology so I'm not necessarily using it in the same regard that psychology may give it although I suspect it could be worded similarly. Regardless, it has been proven essential to myself in distinguishing aspects of the self, although your view is most definitely appreciated.

Offlinecosmicchic
    #2631613 - 05/03/04 11:45 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I did appreciate zappaisgod's point in this way. If Freud never made up the distinctions of the self, imagine how different it would be.

Do you know what term we would be left with to describe people who are ussually called egoic? CONFIDENT. We all love and appreciate the virtue of confidence. We express a beleif in ourself and abilities through what we call confidence. Condifence is great and allows for us to experience the potential of our greatness.

Then Freud comes along and says there's this thing called Ego and it is a false ideology of who we think we are. So NOW, when people don't beleive in others as the way they beleive in themselves they have a new word to put them down with. They say, "You have a big ego" and with one magic fell swoop it is meant to completely disacknowledge the vailidity of a persons greatness and abilities ans sense of self worth. People who want to put other people down are feeling down on themselevs.

Perhaps Frued had insecurities and a low self esteem and felt bitter so he invented this ideology with which to cut everyone down to shreds and his emotional size. From this perspective, I like what Zap said!

One could say the ego is the idea one has of themselves. Who is to say that idea is false or bad or negative? If Barbara Striesand said, "I am a great singer"  would she have an over inflated ego with a false sense of her singing abilities? I mean, give me a break. :lol: Should Barbara Striesand have not given way to her gifts and abilities and confidently brought them to world to share it for the sake of comforting the insecurities of those who think they sing lousy? Thats just stupidness! people love her who can't sing like her because when they here her music, they arn't thinking "she sings better then me that BITCH!" (maybe someone women in her line of work do :lol:) I would say most people who enjoy her music do because they are feeling along with the emotion she expresses through song and can relate and resonate with the essense of that emotion and sentiment expressed through words and it feels good to them. Are people who love and appreciate the music of a great artist being naive and gullible for it? That would be an assinine assumption and judgment made by an ass.

I really appreciated what Fire said because I beleive it true that reactions to threatening environments is the result of old programming hard wired into the human form to insure our survival when we decided to experience with an extreme lack of awareness. You know what's going on Fire!

That leads into my appreciating what Lux is saying. As we become more aware of who we are beyond our ego identities as humans we are slowly reprograming that old crusty hardwiring that tells us we have something to be afraid of. If you believe in an ominipotent supreme intelligence, do you think in it's full awareness it feels or thinks it has anything to be afraid of? of course not. It knows there is all it is and that it cannot be destroyed because there is nothing else to destroy it and in it's sublime love and appreciation for it's existance it would never do such a thing.

Like Lux says, the ego can be seen as a diservice to the fullfillment of our full potential and self realization here as we are expressing and experiencing spirit through human form. If we let our EGO's (limited idea of self) tell us we are "only so and so born here, into this family, with accredidations from this school, and experience with these job titles etc"  we really limit ourselves and our experience because we are so much more then our experiences here in this one life as Joe Blow. Maybe people want a severly limited and defined experience and the Ego will provide one.

maybe some people want a very EXPANSIVE experience and the ego can privide that as well.

I've always seen the ego as tool YOU can use. Most people let it use them. We are who we are. Why does expanding the sense of self have to be termed as one being "over inflated" with a sense of who they are like its a deragatory thing. We are limitless beings as individuations of creator source-the all that is. Just because our physical bodies have limitations doesn't mean our minds and emotions have to be limited by the body.

Gnrm, I really appreciated what you said- we are so much more then ego defintions and you mentioned it being a tool and we can use it to undefine ourselves as well.

Andprops to the great red mushroom! :lol: That was cool!

Love,
Cindy

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2631650 - 05/03/04 11:55 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Freud was wrong about a lot of things, but I think it's a big stretch to say that he set the field of psychology back 50 years. He advanced the field quite a bit, and as many things as he may have been wrong about, he was right about a lot of other things.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Ego [Re: silversoul7]
    #2631734 - 05/03/04 12:15 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

for me the ego is anything that seeks it's own intrest rather than that of another "i" want,

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Offlinecosmicchic
Re: Ego [Re: peleg]
    #2631951 - 05/03/04 01:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I resonate with that understanding too peleg.

Ideologies of spirituism teach that the EGO serves itself and that one removed from their ego seeks to serve others. The thing I keep in mind is this:

self service isn't anymore wrong then service to others is right. That keeps me from becoming self rightious. we are allowed to explore the self through the tool of the ego. It's okay in the big scheme of things.

Thanks for adding that to this cuz it belongs here.

Love,
Cindy

Anonymous

#2631961 - 05/03/04 01:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Our ego is that which separates us from everything else. This is why a feeling of Oneness with the universe accompanies ego loss.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Ego [Re: silversoul7]
    #2632037 - 05/03/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I can't think of one thing Fraud was right about and I have a degree in psychology. My opinion is that by forsaking any rigorous scientific study of the mind and directing the field into the realm of introspection and anecdote 50 years of study were wasted. The study of psychology did not get back on a scientific track until B.F. Skinner in the 50s. Much has been accomplished since but even into the 70s the Freudian-type psychotherapists were far too influential. I became so totally disheartened by the state of the field that I chose not to continue. I didn't think the people in it were scientists. It is much further along now than I had ever hoped. At any rate, if anyone here can tell me one single thing that Fraud said that was correct please let me know.

Hey cosmicchic, I got another word for people currently called egoic. It's obnoxious. In extreme cases it's assholic (my own invention)

--------------------

Offlinecosmicchic
    #2632197 - 05/03/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

He He  zappa!

Yes, those words can replace the word egoic as well and probaly many more if we think about it.

I have to ask, was fraud a typo for Freud or was it intended? Thats funny!:lol:

Love,
cindy

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Ego [Re: cosmicchic]
    #2632310 - 05/03/04 02:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Intentional

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
    #2632383 - 05/03/04 02:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

dr freud: "it's only a theory"
:wink:

--------------------
not old enough to care

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
    #2632393 - 05/03/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

for some fascinating reading, check out damn' near anything by dr stan grof....

--------------------
not old enough to care

Anonymous

#2634000 - 05/03/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

to me the ego is what causes us to feel depressed and afraid. it is where fear and pain stem from. It also creates the illusion of time and space. So if i call you a cock sucker, and you are offended, it is your ego that is actually offended. If somebody dies and you are down and depressed about it, it is your ego bringing you down. you think that the person has left you, but they did not. ego creates space, and u think they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy far away from you, but they are not. they are right there with you always.

and like somebody else said, it is also the source of pride. It is your ego that makes you feel like you are the shit above everybody else. We are all equal no matter who we are or what we do, and to think your any cooler is silly. you can shine, but dont bring people down by thinking your the shit. like you know, dissing people, cutting them down to make yourself feel better....thats cheap as fuck, and your just feeding your ego making yourself an even bigger asshole.

i see it as there are 2 main things that everything stems from. Love and Fear. Love coming from your heart, and Fear coming from your ego.

anytime your pissed of, or hurting of depression, its fear....but of WHAT? anytime your trying to bring another down, it is done out of fear, but of WHAT? only you know.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies